The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-07 21:44:50

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

New Donations Box

If you look around the site, you may notice that I have modified the "Please Donate" box.  I have added a progress bar, and monthly donation stats.

Why?  Well, to be blunt, because I'm asking for money.  LAoW and I have some hefty medical expenses, and we have bills that are going unpaid every single month.  We discussed it, and the monthly donation goal I have set would allow us to meet our obligations, with a small margin for unexpected expenses (like fixing the car when - not if - it breaks...)

The progress bar measures the donations received in a month against the total, and lets you know where we stand.  If you can help at all, please do so.

And I don't want this to sound like any kind of ultimatum or anything, but... The hosting bill for the website comes due in January.  That bill will be about $100 or so.  The first $100 of donations we receive will be set aside to pay that hosting bill.... but if we don't receive enough money, the site will be closed.  We simply cannot afford the extra expense.  (To those of you who ask, "Well, where did the money I donated to you go?", the answer is, bills.)

So, if you want to keep this site running, please give whatever you can.  I will not turn this into a pay site: I made that commitment, and I will stand by it.  But the truth is, if I don't make some money off it, the site will go away.  I'm not getting enough emotional/mental support (in the form of feedback) to justify the expense of the site, so I'm simply asking you to provide financial support.  It won't take a lot of your money, if lots of people get involved.  There are currently over 1500 people registered on the site.  If every one of you decided to pay the $15 / year necessary so that you don't see the ads on the site, it would help immeasurably.  $15 a year is only $1.25 a month!  (But please, don't donate in $1.25 increments.  If you do, PayPal will get almost as much of your money as we do.  Keeping your donations above about $5 will make sure that we get the vast majority of your donation.)

Anyway, thanks for listening.  I will try to keep this site running, but I cannot do it without your help.

Sincerely,
Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2007-10-08 01:20:25

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Re: New Donations Box

Net,

I just happen to have come into some money today, not a fortune, a couple hundred, and planned to use it for Christmas.

Question is, Have you been a good boy this year?

I'd be willing to put in some money, not sure how much right off, probaby $20 or so, but I don't have a credit card and wouldn't put one online even if I did. If you're willing to give me a second way to donate, whether by sending it directly to you or whatever, I'd be willing to send some to help out. I'm not too worried about getting rid of the ads, I've barely noticed them being there anyway.

You have my e-mail. Write to me or post on here if you have a way.

Thanks
-Jeff

#3 2007-10-09 04:16:37

advancewar
Wasted

ill donate this site is one of the best things on the net 3dsmile

life=books

#4 2007-10-09 04:22:30

advancewar
Wasted

come on people if everyone donates  1.00  there are better then 1000 people that have come to the site thats 1000 more dollars

life=books

#5 2007-10-09 05:40:15

SlaveMaster
Wasted

um dident you read what net says? paypal eats a percent of every dollor. So he wouldent be getting the full dollor and on top of that he asks for a minimum off five dollor transactions.

Welcome to The Mystic Wolf Pub

#6 2007-10-09 07:55:42

advancewar
Wasted

oo  no i didnt im sorry i just got impatient ........ok i will refrain from making a further ass of myself and shut up   buy everyone sould donate anyway even if it sould be 5.00 or more     
         to net i apologize for being impatient my only excuse was i saw new authors and wanted to check em out, sry 3dsad my bad

life=books

#7 2007-10-09 08:38:51

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Hey, I'm not complaining.  I'll take what I can get.  If all you can give is $1, then that's... like 67¢ in my pocket...  It's just that if you give $5, it's $4.55 in my pocket... as you can see, a much bigger percentage.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#8 2007-10-14 06:47:58

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, everyone... as I'm sure you're aware, we reached the $100 mark, which means that the site hosting fees are paid up for another year.

Though I'm quite sure you're already aware of this, because the donations have come to a dead halt.

First, I want to say a great big Thank You to those of you who donated.  And everyone else should, too, because you are the ones keeping the site open through 2008.

But guys, I'm serious when I say that LAoW and I really need some financial help making ends meet.  We have debts (medical and otherwise) that total more than an entire year of my income, and those bills are going UP, not down, since our medical expenses are ongoing.

I know that I said $5 minimum donation, but let me just give an example of how helpful you guys could be.

If each of you donated just $1.25 a month (Remember, that $15 / yr. donation for removing the ads?  It comes out to $1.25 a month...), I would receive 91¢ of it.  If everyone on this site (Currently 1550+) did that, it would amount to more than $1400 a month... which would be a TREMENDOUS help to us, obviously.

Do you really not think this site is worth $1.25 a month?  If not, how can I make it worth that? 

I would like to explain to you how a lack of donations reduces the amount of writing I can do.  When our finances get tight, I get to stress over it.  I have to find a way to pay the bills that absolutely must be paid, and have to deal with the fact that I'm not meeting all of my obligations.  That stresses the hell out of me.  When I am stressed, I find it very hard to be creative.  If I cannot be creative, I cannot write, and YOU don't get to read anything from me, because I can't write it.

I promised that The Pub would never become a pay site, and it won't... but if you really want me to return to writing full-force, rather than spending my time trying to find a way to make ends meet, you're going to have to give us a little help.  All I'm asking is that you consider what the site is worth to you, compare that to what you can afford to pay, and then send what you can.

As to the whole "small donation versus large donation" issue: it doesn't make that much of a difference after you get above, say, $10, but let's do the math.

1550 people, sending $1.25 / month:  $1416.31 / mo.
1550 people, sending $15 / yr:  averages out to $1579.34 / mo.

As you can see, making larger payments, even if you ultimately send the same amount of money, can make a significant difference to me in the long run.  But it's entirely up to you.  I'm not going to turn away ANY donation.  We need the help.  I don't like airing my dirty laundry, and this feels disconcertingly like begging, but I've pretty much exhausted all of my other options at this point.

Please, whatever you can do, do it.
Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

Board footer