The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-16 07:55:57

NahtanoJ88
Inebriated

Does any one hide 'Easter Eggs' in their stories?

I was wondering if any one hides references and other little things that mean something to them in their stories and what everyones thoughts are on them.

Last edited by NahtanoJ88 (2007-03-16 07:56:48)

#2 2007-03-16 08:04:25

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Does any one hide 'Easter Eggs' in their stories?

Um...  I'm not sure I understand the question.  A lot of names in my stories get taken from people I know, sometimes modified to protect the innocent (or me, from them kicking my ass... 3dbig_smile )  Certain situations that occur in my stories have particular meaning to me in one way or another... but I'm not sure these are what you're referring to.  Could you be more specific?

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2007-03-16 08:07:35

NahtanoJ88
Inebriated

I guess I was talking in general but I was wondering if you guys (authors) hide little things in your stories that have reference to your real life or maybe just obscure links to your other stories that are not in the same universe.

#4 2007-03-16 15:01:21

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

yea kinda, I mean a lot of the names I use are little jokes (a fire nymph named Cole for instance)

or in my dead story zodiac i tried to have the zodiacs have names that sounded like there sign Erin=Ares for instance

but i don't always do that

In my Virtual insanity story the main charicter is a hacker who uses a charicter from ReBoot as his virtual avitar

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#5 2007-03-16 17:07:35

Imagineer
Wasted

Explicit references to my real life? No. There'd be no one but me to find them anyway. Links between stories that aren't connected? Not that I can recall, but then that's the sort of thing I'd drop in either semi-consciously or with a momentary grin and then forget about as the mind was taxed with the task of finishing the story.

I do have stories in the same universe that aren't (yet) obviously so. (Two such stories are posted here, but there are no direct links between them; it's up to future stories to make the connection.) People who've read my novels would recognize characters in "Dick Jones," but I don't think of that as an easter egg. I suppose that's all it would be until the future novel appears that makes something of the connection, but I think of "easter egg" as a fun bonus rather than an intention of deeper meaning, and my delusions of grandeur lead me to the latter affliction. I wouldn't want to mislead readers into thinking that a particular story exists in the bigger universe if it didn't.

Hmm... I think that's as convoluted an answer as I can contrive today.

#6 2007-03-16 22:44:29

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

I think mine was more convoluted than yours IM if it makes you feel better

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#7 2007-03-17 01:40:10

CSquared
Wasted

Nah, although most of mine are based on a somewhat common theme - they tend to be set in or around Brighton, and often include its utter destruction. XD

I just tend to make them very consistant within themselves - if I mention a place, it doesn't move later.  Or if a spaceship goes to Mars at .5c, I make damn sure it takes roughly fifteen minutes (about how long it would take, the distance apart that the Earth and Mars were at the time).

CSquared

#8 2007-03-17 08:17:07

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

I've never done it although I started a story where I was going to do it. I was writing a "Triplet Troubles" story and was going to slip in a reference to their Aunt Shiela and Cousin Jason, referring to another of my stories "Summer Roadtrip." I never finished the story but I think that would have classified. And, if and when I ever write another Trip troubles story, or a sequel to Roadtrip (Yeah Right!), I do intend to link the Fines (From TT) to the Marcison family (Roadtrip.) As of yet, it hasn't happened.

I regularly write stories based on experience from my life and from my time with my wife and I usually admit to it in the description of the story. One of them is almost entirely accurate. Two others, that I can think of, are a fictionalized account of times with my wife. They are based on my life only in the broadest sense of the word. Kind of like, if you ate whipped cream off your significant other and then wrote a completely fictional story about someone using whipped cream on their significant other. The overarching idea is there but that's it.

Like others have said here, I regularly pick names of people I know for characters in my stories. Almost all my characters receive their names from someone I know in real life. They aren't always like the person but that's how I pick the names. If a character in my story is a bad guy, chances are, there was/is someone in my life that I don't like with that name.

And I will slip in an "Inside joke" into my stories. Something only my wife and I would get, or something only my brother or sister would understand if it's from my childhood. Most people would never notice it though.

#9 2007-03-18 01:08:58

CSquared
Wasted

I've just remembered something, actually.  I sometimes slip somewhat obscure song lyrics into text, be it narrative, dialogue or anything else you can think of.  They have no emphasis attached to them, and it would take a pretty wide-ranging musical knowledge to really notice them.  In short, if you notice something in one of my stories that sounds like you heard it in a song, chances are it's there by design, not fortune.

I suppose that's a bit of an easter egg, but it's really more something I do to inject a little fun into writing when I find it a drag. 3dsmile

CSquared

#10 2007-03-19 03:34:17

WarLord
Wasted
Website

NahtanoJ88 wrote:

I was wondering if any one hides references and other little things that mean something to them in their stories and what everyones thoughts are on them.

Greetings

Dunno if they are "easter eggs"

I put in words, word play and fun stuff -- if it doesn't actually stop the story dead!

Geography details and place facts give the story versimilitude even if readers never hope to see the places.   For some stories like Wild West I actually drove the roads I describe.  In Absolute Power some of the details are dead-on others more ummm 'whimsical'

So beware the monster data dump but facts sprinkled on the story are like spices even if only you as author get to savor the full flavor 3dwink

Enjoy the journey

WarLord

Last edited by WarLord (2007-03-19 03:35:23)

"A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: 1. What am I trying to say? 2. What words will express it? 3. What image or idiom will make it clearer? 4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?" - George Orwell, Politics and the English Language, 1946

#11 2007-03-24 04:03:51

AceMcCloud
Inebriated
Website

Fruitcake Lovers has three movie quotes in it. Nobody has ever found all of them.

Ace

Stories on MP3 - The [Adult] Reading For The Blind project: http://www.asstr.org/~Stories_on_MP3/

#12 2007-04-02 22:19:49

Khellendros
Inebriated

Two characters heads of two of the first six vampire houses have religious ties. The older brother, Kaan, and the younger brother, Avil. Out of jealousy, Kaan kills Avil, the first vampire's favorite, during a power struggle.

Blood of Brothers has five intentional parallels of reference.

Khellendros

#13 2007-04-03 01:07:45

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

yea i caught  that also the two female clan leaders were references to Eve and Lilith or that at least what i I surmised when i was reading it

Last edited by Neitherspace (2007-04-03 01:10:20)

#14 2007-04-03 03:48:49

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yeah, but who gets to count the number of "Easter Eggs" in the Bible, hmm?  3dbig_smile

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#15 2007-04-03 21:02:24

Khellendros
Inebriated

Net_Wolf made a funny.... 3dbig_smile
(I laughed at least)

What can I say? I think the most well known literary work is the bible. It is the one work you can almost always be sure that your readers have viewed at some point. Modern movies are usually a good bet, but you can never be certain. If you want the reference to be easy to see quote something huge. "Strike me down and I will become more powerful than..." If you don't want people to catch it, "Secrets...we have lots of secretes. Some say secrets are kept in the heart. Lets find out." use something unlikely to be uncovered.

I like to quote a little of everything, movies, books, personal conversations I have had with others and with myself. Character names are some of the most common references to make. Personally I tend to be afraid when I feel a storyline is becoming too similar to that of another. I have a natural fear of conformity and a loss of individuality. (I am not a team player...unless I'm in charge.) I think that comes out a lot in my writing.

Happy hunting,
Khellendros

#16 2007-04-03 21:26:22

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

This reminds me of a quote from House the other night:

Cuddy:  "There is no 'I' in TEAM."
House:  "But there is a 'ME'..."

3dsmile

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#17 2007-04-03 21:36:12

Khellendros
Inebriated

"As Mr. Sloan always says, there is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "I" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team... I don't know what he was talking about."

3dsmile

Board footer