The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-13 12:10:25

temporal_aberation
Inebriated

Altered Author's Notes

I’ve decided to post author’s notes for Altered here explaining the rationale behind some of my creative decisions. Obviously, there will be spoilers for the most recent chapters posted, so read at your own peril.

Of Kisses and Mistresses

I’ve always been interested in the corruption of the parent/child dynamic. However, the roots for this specific story drew inspiration from a (very) short story I found on ASSTR called “Jessie’s Doll". It also involved a child prodigy using technology to mind control her mother. However, the premise was much more interesting than the story itself. The girl genius’s only personality trait was not wanting people to know she was a genius, which kind of nullified the most interesting thing about her. The mother was even more bland. Look, it was pure smut, which isn’t bad for the people who enjoy that sort of thing. Although, the story was so short that even the smut was over as quickly as it began.

I don’t want to criticize it too heavily, on the off chance the author finds this. Its premise was my inspiration, after all, so it did something right on the conceptual level at least. After I read it, my mind started imagining alternate routes the story could have gone if given additional chapters or sequels, and slowly these ideas morphed into something far more distinct. It was built on a similar foundation, but had developed its own identity along the way.

One point that was important to me was keeping the child genius feeling like an actual genius. It wasn’t enough to simply have her be smart when the plot demanded she invent something. I did a bit of research into psychology in order to hopefully make her sound like she knows what she’s talking about. I also hope that I still succeeded in keeping her feeling child-like in certain respects, because the “kid" part of the kid genius is just as important as the genius. You can see this in interviews of actual child prodigies who, despite being able to memorize college level facts, still behave like children in many ways.

By the way, I should mention for anyone familiar with Gnostic theology that Sophie naming her implant the Demiurge is not meant to be foreshadowing at any sort of meta level. Rather, I came up with Sophie’s name early on in the planning process, and then SHE named her system the Demiurge. I didn’t really get a say in the matter. As soon as the idea came to me, I realized there was literally nothing else Sophie would name it. For those not familiar, Gnostics believed in divine beings known as Aeons that were emanations of an unknowable God. The most prominent of these beings was one named Sophia who fell from grace and, in her despair, created a malevolent creature known as the Demiurge (who is the Christian/Judaic God) who in turn created the material world. With Sophie’s educated background that would definitely have driven her to research this topic at some point, her desire to be recognized by others, and her God complex, there was no scenario where she named her device anything else.

I recognize that the start of this story is probably a little abrupt. You’re thrown right into the middle of the situation with Sophie and Glimmer, and not given much context for their relationship. One thing I’ll say about subsequent chapters is that this story isn’t going to be told in a way that’s completely linear. You will see Glimmer’s initial awakening later down the line. However, I think that story works better from Sophie’s perspective. In contrast, what I wanted to do here was establish Glimmer as her own person before the readers realized she was an Alter of Sophie’s mother. I felt starting the story from either of the other two points of view would make Glimmer feel less like an individual.

And that last point was another thing I felt was important in this story. I wanted to go in a slightly different direction than your typical mind control stories, utilizing customized multiple personalities instead of straight-up control. (Although there are hints of that too with Sophie being able to instantly put her mom to sleep or block the formation of long-term memories.) Glimmer is under Sophie’s control, but only because of the psychological profile Sophie designed for her is making her predisposed to submit to her. This is also why I wrote the description as I did, without confirming Glimmer’s true identity. Though, I’m likely to revise that in subsequent chapters.

Finally, if you ended up reading this chapter within 24 hours of when it was posted, you read a slightly different version. As a result of editing the story before I posted, I ended up creating a minor continuity error. I rushed the story out because I wanted it to debut on Mother’s Day Weekend, and only realized the error the next day. The first two segments of the chapter are mostly the same, but there were some important alterations in the third, exploring Sophie’s reaction to what happened with Madeline. (In an earlier draft, Sophie didn’t grab Madeline, and didn’t get her hand smacked away. By the time I posted the story, that scene had been added in, but there was no follow-up to it in the subsequent part. It was like it never happened.)

In the future, I plan on waiting a bit longer before posting chapters so that I can fully go over the work. I clearly do not do well with self-imposed deadlines. I just wanted to mention this for transparency purposes. If I edit a chapter after posting, which I don’t plan on making a habit of, I want to provide a clear explanation.

#2 2021-05-24 13:12:49

temporal_aberation
Inebriated

Re: Altered Author's Notes

Strawberry Pancakes

Since this was the first erotica I’d written, I looked at multiple articles giving writing advice beforehand. One suggestion I read said to never use the words “heat pooled in her belly."  And… Yeah. I don’t even know what that means in a sexual context. I’m pretty sure it’s not a thing that real human beings experience. Yes, the body heats up, and at some points more than others, but as far as I know, that heat doesn’t generally “pool in the belly."  However, it was so silly that I took it as a challenge. I fell in love with the idea of using it to depict literal hunger, and thus the strawberry pancake scene was born.

Sorry, no Glimmer and no direct sexual activities this time around.

I wanted to instead focus on contextualizing Sophia and Madeline’s relationship before going any further. What I love about writing them is just how completely innocent their dynamic is if you take away all of Sophia’s perverted thoughts and fantasies. If I was writing this in third-person objective or even from Madeline’s point of view, this looks like a perfectly healthy and almost idyllic mother-daughter relationship.

I’ve seen so many stories focused on incestuous mind control where the victim is portrayed as being a bitch, an asshole or a tease in order to justify the actions of the protagonist. What I really wanted to do in this story was go in the opposite direction, where we have a victim who is secretly being betrayed and violated in one of the worst ways imaginable by the person she loves most in the world, and she has done nothing to deserve any of this.

There’s this undercurrent of tragedy to their interactions, because what they have is sweet and beautiful and innocent, but it’s not enough for Sophia, and so she’s twisted and perverted that relationship. On a related note, “Ugh… Why did turning your mom into your secret sex slave have to make everything so weird?"  is easily my favorite line that I’ve ever written.

I also enjoyed getting to explore the impact of Madeline’s mother’s Alzheimer’s on the family a bit. Because while Sophia is clearly using the Demiurge for selfish purposes, she actually had some benevolent reasons for entering into this field and creating the Demiurge in the first place. There’s also a bit of moral licensing at play here, where Sophia’s subconscious mind rationalizes that the immoral actions she commits with the Demiurge will be balanced out by the beneficial things she’s going to do with it.

BTW, if you’re as perplexed as Madeline about why three-year-old Sophie held up four fingers when counting out “twelve"  zeroes, it’s because she realized that the named large numbers would each add three zeroes and a comma. Essentially, since she ran out of fingers to count the zeroes, she decided to count the commas instead and multiply by three to get a visual representation of the zeroes.

Finally, I re-updated the first chapter again to fix a minor spelling error.

Last edited by temporal_aberation (2021-05-24 13:13:26)

#3 2021-05-24 17:23:08

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The phrase "heat pooled in her belly" is perfectly accurate to the female sexual experience... IF you realize that they are not referring to the stomach when they say "belly".  They are referring to the lower abdomen and groin, an area which will begin to feel quite warm on a woman in an aroused state.

This is hardly the only case in English where "belly" basically refers to anything between the sternum and the thighs.  For instance, you have a bad feeling "in the pit of your stomach", but that sensation (which is an actual physical sensation of stress and anxiety) happens in your intestines, not your stomach.

But this is precisely why you shouldn't use the phrase:  It's too abstract to be useful.  It takes the reader out of the scene while they go, "huh?" and you don't want that.  You should also avoid "purple prose", because it will make many readers giggle.  His "iron lance" should not thrust into her "tunnel of passion".  I feel dirty just having written that sentence.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2021-05-26 13:28:50

temporal_aberation
Inebriated

Wait, really? LOL! I don't think I've ever heard "belly" used to refer to the groin outside of this phrase. At least the "pit of your stomach" gives the reader a general implication that we're probably talking about something lower and deep inside.

As for the purple prose, that's some really solid advice.

But damn... I really had my heart set on a religious story, but what's even the point if I can't include the line about Jesus impaling Mary Magdalene's Empty Tomb with his Spear of Destiny? /s

#5 2021-05-27 01:51:23

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

/me strongly resists the urge to slap you with a large wooden cross...

As to the groin/belly thing... realize that most of a woman's reproductive system is interior, and so lives within the abdominal cavity.  So a lot of her heat is, in fact in the "belly", if belly means "abdomen" and not "stomach".

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

Board footer