The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-13 00:42:16

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

Something to Talk About

Sounds intriguing, doesn't it?  But I've got nothing.  I wanted to start some sort of brilliant thread that would let everybody say something, but I can't think of anything.  So I'll throw it open to you people.

Meanwhile, while waiting for a real topic, some randomness: What is your favorite story genre and why?

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#2 2007-03-13 03:51:15

NahtanoJ88
Inebriated

Re: Something to Talk About

Science Fiction. Because it is in no way limited to one place, its fun to see what technologies people make up and how they use them, and I have a mountain of favorite stories that I like from that genre.

#3 2007-03-13 04:31:56

Imagineer
Wasted

I haven't read much in a while, except for graphic novels, i.e. comic books collected in trade paperbacks. I like stories about the lives of superheroes -- the dark angst-ridden what-is-a-hero stuff like The Dark Knight Returns, Alias (not the TV show), Kingdom Come, and Powers.

A really good comic that might appeal to the folks here is Y: The Last Man. All the men on Earth die off suddenly... except for one. No superheroes here, just a little post-apocalyptic mystery adventure tale.

#4 2007-03-13 04:36:34

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

I love stories with lots of action and adventure.  The story line has to be realistic even if the events happening are fantastical.  When a story has well written characters that you can cheer for when they kick someone's ass and you can cry with when someone or something kicks theirs that is the best.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#5 2007-03-14 09:54:31

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

For me, it's always been sci-fi and fantasy. So much so, that, even at nearly 40 years old (Yikes!) I'm anxiously waiting the next and last Harry Potter book.

I HATE mystery novels but, ironically, LOVE Sherlock Holmes. Don't ask me to explain it, I can't.

#6 2007-03-14 16:14:50

Imagineer
Wasted

There's something about Sherlock Holmes, isn't there?

#7 2007-04-03 09:52:08

dv8n
Wasted

hey Sherlock Holmes kicked ass... but then again so did Conan  3dsmile

I like all types of genres, I just try to stay away from massively depressing works because it's hard enough to beat back my own depressing thoughts...they don't need allies in the war.   But I find dark comedies funny as hell especially the use of poetic irony... I like stories that are interesting....if I start reading it and it doesn't hold my interest long enough to make me wonder about something that will happen, I stop reading it and usually never pick it back up.

Last edited by dv8n (2007-04-03 09:53:03)

:lol:

#8 2007-04-03 21:25:31

Khellendros
Inebriated

As far as genres go, I will read just about anything. I prefer SciFi and Fantasy, but....

I guess I can put up a new topic here can't I...
The topic is motivation. What motivates you in your daily life? What motivations do you have for writing? have you ever tried to motivate anyone? What worked? How long did it last? Oh and anything else you want to add with the general theme of motivation.

Or you can ignore the topic completely and stick with the original. Or add a different topic completely.

Khellendros

Board footer