The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-15 04:19:37

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Request for Comment: What comes next?

So, as I reach the mid-point of WAY8, which is the last book in the Woodward Academy series, I have to look ahead to what I should work on next.  Unfortunately, none of my other stories has really seemed to grab people the way Woodward did, so there is no clear indication there.

So, I'm doing a sort-of survey here.  What I've listed below are the options for what I can focus on after WAY8 is finished.  Some of this is existing work, some of it is new.

What I'd like you to do is list, in order of preference, the things you'd like me to work on.

I've included the projected pairing and story codes, but those are not guaranteed, only estimates.  If you have any questions about anything before you "answer" the "survey", please ask them here.

POSSIBLE "FOCUS" PROJECTS*

Agent of Change
    XX, Fantasy, mf, mF, bd(mild), ds(mild), first, inc, inter, mc, teen, viol
    Teenager voluntarily becomes host to a symbiont which allows him to control those around him.  His mission: make the world "more interesting".

Artifacts Series
    Fantasy, MF, FF, 3+, codes unclear
    Continuation of the series.  More artifacts will be gathered until the final one is collected, at which point... something bad happens.

CASS
    X (possible R), Science Fiction, MF
    A couple hundred years in the future, the American government receives a distress signal from an alien race.  The humans decide to get involved in an interstellar war.

The Circle: A Dugerra Novel
    X, Fantasy, mf, mF, ff, fF, 3+, first, mc, rom, teen, viol
    A story about the necromancers of Milima, the only human nation in Chasco.  This is the story of how a small group of teens set out to upset the entire governing system of the necromancers.  (This is NOT a sequel to the Woodward Academy series, merely a story in the same universe.)

Crinika Rising
    X, Science Fiction, MF, first, inc, inter, teen, viol
    A country named Crinika develops a virus which ends up creating zombies.  They release this virus at a meeting of world leaders, to infect everyone.  This is the story of a family group trying to survive in the newly hostile land.

Ignition: A Justice Seven story
    X, Science Fiction, mf, mF, ds, first, inc, inter, mc, teen, viol
    A teenager is injured in a fire started by the mob, who was trying to kill his father.  The fire forced his latent abilities to blossom, and slowly, over time, he learns their extent.

Lira's Home
    X, Fantasy, mf, Mf, first, teen
    Lira's world has been invaded.  She lives on her own.  This is the story of how she finally joins the resistance to drive them out of her nation.  Supposed to be the first in a series.

Paladin (A Justice Seven universe story)
    X, Science Fiction, MF
    An FBI agent loses his sight during a raid.  He becomes part of a project to give him back his sight, that also ends up giving him telekinesis.  He then joins Project GUARDIAN, a secret government agency to clean up crime.

The STRAIN Chronicles: A Justice Seven story
    X, Science Fiction, codes unclear
    A continuation of Justice Seven, five years later, when the team has just accepted Cycle 4 into their ranks.

Sweet Talker
    XX, Science Fiction, mF, mf, bd, ds, first, inc, inter, mc, reluc, teen, viol
    A teenage boy is struck by lightning, and this unleashes within him a strange ability to talk almost anybody into doing things they wouldn't otherwise do.

Where the Maiasaurs Roam 2
    X, Science Fiction, codes unclear
    The story of the first planned scientific mission to the Cretaceous period.  Once again, things go wrong and the team is stranded.  This is a sequel to the first: Tim and his family would be the main characters.

GRAPHIC NOVELS: in my terms, a graphic novel is a series of images with narration/dialogue added to them.  The images will be created using 3D rendering software. (I can't draw worth shit.)

GRAPHIC NOVEL - (Title TBD, genre is "Space Horror")
    XXX, Science Fiction, MF, AF, beast, inter, mc, nc, rape, reluc, species, viol
    An Earth military space vessel is overrun by aliens.  This is the story of the small group of crewmembers who managed to escape... but what they escaped to might be even worse than what they were escaping from.

GRAPHIC NOVEL - (Title TBD, genre is mind control / monster horror)
    XXX, Fantasy, mF, beast, first, inc, inter, mc, nc, rape, species, teen, viol, voy
    In an effort to gain other-worldly power, a demon makes a deal with an unhappy teenage boy.  He gives the boy tentacles which have different abilities, and one of them is the ability to slowly control others.  The MC's problem?  The demon he's allied with isn't the only one.  And the "good guys" aren't happy with things, either.

GRAPHIC NOVEL - scene-by-scene illustration of The Woodward Academy series
    At least one graphic per scene of each book, including sex scenes.  May include animations of sex scenes.

OTHER - PLEASE SPECIFY HERE-->

So now that you've read all that, what I'd like back is something that looks like this:

WANT:
1. The Circle
2. Crinika Rising
3. Space Horror Graphic Novel
4. ...

DON'T WANT:

1. Paladin
2. Graphic Novel - Woodward Academy
3. Sweet Talker
4 ...

Both lists should be "strongest feelings first".  So in the list above, "The Circle" would be the thing you'd want to see most, and "Paladin" would be the thing you are most opposed to me working on.

Please take this seriously; it will affect my decisions.

Eric Storm

* Just because the project is the focus of my attention doesn't mean it will be the only thing worked on.  As usual, I will probably have at least two projects going at any one time.

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2020-02-15 05:57:45

Elessar
Completely Blotto

Re: Request for Comment: What comes next?

It's more of a NEED, rather than a WANT.... So..

NEED: Where the Maiasaurs Roam 2!!!! Like. I'll donate $100 for it... please?

To follow the correct listing for this "Survey".

WANT:
1. Where the Maiasaurs Roam 2
2. AoC
3. The Circle
4. CASS

The rest are things I would read but don't care if they are written now or next year. If you are curious as to the order I would probably read them in. Assuming I got into it like I have with the others(Mostly).
1. Artifacts
2. Lira's Home

The others would require me to reread all of the other stories included within their universe.

Crinika Rising and Sweet Talk... BASED SOLELY on the description, just don't sound like stories I could get into. I would read them if they were posted, I just however wouldn't put it ahead of the rest.

Hope it helps!

#3 2020-02-15 09:13:11

Josh.Bond
Inebriated

Want
1 AoC
2 Artifacts
3 maiasaurs 2
4 Crinika

don't want
1 graphic novels
2 Lira's Home

might add some more to either list as I wake up but here it is.

#4 2020-02-15 10:31:45

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Elessar:

Unless they were specifically denoted as sequels, you wouldn't need to read the other stories in a universe to understand what's going on.  For instance, Paladin and J7 happen in the same universe, but you can fully understand what's going on in each story without having read the other one.  In fact, most of my stories exist in one of three universes, whether it's mentioned or not.  Either the CAMP universe (only the two stories with CAMP in the title), the Dugerra universe (The Woodward Academy series), or the Justice Seven universe (J7, Paladin, Illicit Reunions, a couple different short stories...)

If you would like longer descriptions of Crinika Rising and/or Sweet Talker, just ask.  I provided a brief description because their storylines are kind of complicated.

Eric Storm

PS: To both of you and future answerers:  I didn't really intend for you to stop at 4, though that's where I stopped with my example, I just didn't want to make up a fake list that was 15 items long.  I mean, it's okay if you don't want to position each and every thing on the list, I'm just sayin'...

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#5 2020-02-15 10:33:44

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

PS:  Not to dissuade anyone from putting this on their list, but... do you have any idea how much research will have to be done for Maiasaurs 2?  It took me a year to research Maiasaurs 1, and I now know that a lot of what I put into that story was incorrect!!!  (Damn paleontologists discovering shit...  *grumble grumble* )

3dsmile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#6 2020-02-15 10:58:05

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

just call it 'alternate earth' setting and state that the shit is made up... now move along.  3dwink

Last edited by Barbarian3165 (2020-02-15 11:15:49)

#7 2020-02-15 11:05:21

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I don't do that.  Especially since the impetus for writing Maiasaurs in the first place was the utter idiocy of Spielberg's/Crichton's Jurassic Park.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#8 2020-02-15 11:21:22

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

I never got into Jurassic Park or the series.  The first one was ok, but after that I just didn't see the point to rinse/repeat sequels.  Well, I guess you can be forgiven for writing a story based on the best theory you had at the time you researched it, especially since enough time has passed for new theories to have come forth.

As to my list, please forgive me for the generic 'Don't want to see/read' part.

Want to read:

1.  The Circle: a Dugerra novel
2.  Agent of Change
3.  Sweet Talker

Don't want to see:

1.  Time travel stories, unless it is a one way trip with no return (0.000000% chance of finding a way back without becoming near imortal and living until you were originally born).
2.  Zombie stories, way too many zombie shows going on and I think it is way overdone.
3.  Vampire stories, also overdone in the last couple decades.
4.  Gore/Snuff stories calling themselves Horror stories.
5.  Graphic Novels, since you acknowledge you aren't an artist.  If you were to find a decent to good artist to do the art for your stories, I might change my mind.

#9 2020-02-15 13:08:00

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Want to read
1 Where the Maiasaurs Roam 2
2 Artifacts series
3 Agent of Change
4 The Circle
5 Sweet Talker
6 Paladin
7 CASS
8 Crinika Rising
9 Ignition
10 Lira’s Home
11 The Strain Chronicles

Never been into graphic novels but I would check it out if you were to choose to do one.

#10 2020-02-15 13:55:34

Pudding5
Inebriated

Want:
1Artifacts
2AoC
3Circle
4Anything J7/Paladin

Nothing I really don't want, will read whatever you put out.

#11 2020-02-15 16:28:27

Jim Divan
Tipsy

WANT:
    1. Agent of Change
    2. Artifacts
    3. Sweet Talker
    4. Graphic novels (maybe, see below)

DON’T WANT:
    1. Crinika Rising (never have cared for zombie survival horror)

Graphic Novels:
I am not a big fan of 3D rendered images unless the quality of the models is very high.  I'm not as picky about videos/animations as the motion can hide some of the defects.  If you can find an artist to work with, I would be much more interested.  However, the story lines you mention sound interesting

It is really hard for me to say whether I'll like a story based on a brief blurb and story codes.   I need to read some of the story to get a better feel for the characters and situations before I can tell whether I'll like it.  In general, I don't usually like stories that go too far towards "soap opera" where the plot mainly consists of the changing relationships between a group of people.  I prefer stories where there is a solid plot line and the sexual action happens because of (Agent of Change), or in the course of (Woodward) the plot.

That being said, you are my favorite author when it comes to erotic stories, so I am willing to give anything you write a fair chance.

#12 2020-02-15 20:53:00

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Just going to make a few points in response to various comments made here...

Barbarian3165 wrote:

1.  Time travel stories, unless it is a one way trip with no return (0.000000% chance of finding a way back without becoming near imortal and living until you were originally born).

You could have just said you don't want to see Maiasaurs 2...  It's the only time travel story on the list.

Zombie stories, ...  Vampire stories, ...Gore/Snuff stories

Why not just say no horror stories?  You've ruled out most of the currently popular mechanisms for them...  And, again, you could have just said you don't want to see Crinika Rising...

Graphic Novels, since you acknowledge you aren't an artist.

Excuse me, I said I can't draw.  Drawing isn't the only artform in existence.  I said I'd be using 3d renders to create the artwork.  Examples of my current level of skill are already on this website (most recent would be the artwork for the Woodward Academy series).  If I went that route, I would (obviously) be improving my skills through sheer repetition if nothing else.  The choice of 3d is not because I can't draw, it's because I like working in 3d.

Jim Divan wrote:

Crinika Rising (never have cared for zombie survival horror)

Not sure that Crinika would actually fall into the "horror" category.  Survival drama might be closer.  Then again, you said you don't like Drama, either, so... 3dsmile

Graphic Novels:
I am not a big fan of 3D rendered images unless the quality of the models is very high.  I'm not as picky about videos/animations as the motion can hide some of the defects.  If you can find an artist to work with, I would be much more interested.  However, the story lines you mention sound interesting

As I said to Barbarian, you can see my current level of 3d skill on this site.  If you are interested in the quality that is possible, visit Daz3D and take a look at some of the promo images.  I'm not at an expert level yet (obviously), but if I were to try to produce a graphic novel, I would practice and run through tutorials first.  Lighting is one of my big issues, but I have several tutorials about that, so...

I would never "work with an artist".  I would find that very grating.  In a graphic novel, the graphics are about 3/4 of the storytelling.  I would feel like it wasn't even my story at that point.

In general, I don't usually like stories that go too far towards "soap opera" where the plot mainly consists of the changing relationships between a group of people.

The genre you're referring to is called "Drama", just for your future reference when seeing stories on the site.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#13 2020-02-15 22:19:21

Icehawk101
Inebriated

Want: AoC, Artificts, maybe Crinika Rising.

The rest I would read to see what they are like but really, I could take or leave them.

Don't want: graphic novels. No offense, but your 3D renders aren't great. Yes, I've seen the Woodward ones. Unless the graphic novels were professional quality I would just skip them.

#14 2020-02-16 05:08:24

ChiefRock
Wasted

AOC
Circle
J 7
Strain

I really have no do not wants will read what you write- some better than others but all worth reading

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#15 2020-02-16 05:13:00

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

ChiefRock wrote:

AOC
Circle
J 7
Strain

A bit confused about your list.  "J 7" isn't a story on the list...  The STRAIN Chronicles is a J7 story, but you've already included that.  So what were you trying to refer to?

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#16 2020-02-16 05:31:45

Elessar
Completely Blotto

That confused me as well. I am going off the assumption that he wants one of the other J7 stories... which one, I am not sure.

Eric Storm wrote:

ChiefRock wrote:

AOC
Circle
J 7
Strain

A bit confused about your list.  "J 7" isn't a story on the list...  The STRAIN Chronicles is a J7 story, but you've already included that.  So what were you trying to refer to?

Eric Storm

#17 2020-02-17 05:17:49

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Take this with the understanding that I am SLIGHTLY biased....

Stories I want:
1) AOC. I want to see it finished.
2) Circle.

As others here have said, if you write it and publish it, I will, at least, try it.

#18 2020-02-17 05:48:01

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Jefferson wrote:

Take this with the understanding that I am SLIGHTLY biased....

Don't know why you would say that, just 'cause you provided the story concept for one of the stories on the list...

3dangel

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#19 2020-02-17 08:17:03

Tuzzdeny
Inebriated

I would prefer

1 AoC
2 maiasaurs 2
3 Crinika
4 sweet talker
5 Lira's Home
6 circle

I would prefer less,

17. artifact stories
18. graphic novels
19. Justice 7 stories (Paladin)

#20 2020-02-17 21:37:13

ChiefRock
Wasted

Elessar wrote:

That confused me as well. I am going off the assumption that he wants one of the other J7 stories... which one, I am not sure.

Eric Storm wrote:

ChiefRock wrote:

AOC
Circle
J 7
Strain

Eric Storm

I would read anything paladin or justice universe

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#21 2020-02-17 23:29:55

Jim Divan
Tipsy

Eric Storm wrote:

As I said to Barbarian, you can see my current level of 3d skill on this site.  If you are interested in the quality that is possible, visit Daz3D and take a look at some of the promo images.  I'm not at an expert level yet (obviously), but if I were to try to produce a graphic novel, I would practice and run through tutorials first.  Lighting is one of my big issues, but I have several tutorials about that, so...

I am aware of what is possible.  I am also aware of how much work and time has to go into making 3D models that detailed.  In any case, the storylines sound interesting, so go for it.

I think I would like to see the graphic novels regardless of the type of graphics.  If the story is good (which yours always are), then the graphics can only add to it.

I would never "work with an artist".  I would find that very grating.  In a graphic novel, the graphics are about 3/4 of the storytelling.  I would feel like it wasn't even my story at that point.

Fair enough.  Not being a writer or creative person in general, I didn't consider that aspect.

Jim Divan wrote:

In general, I don't usually like stories that go too far towards "soap opera" where the plot mainly consists of the changing relationships between a group of people.

The genre you're referring to is called "Drama", just for your future reference when seeing stories on the site.

I enjoy some types of drama.  Quite a bit of my erotic story collection would be classified as dramas.  I think what I mean by "soap opera" is the tendency to focus on the negative emotions.  I don't like reading about characters that are angry, jealous, resentful, etc.  It's not that I can't deal with that type of thing happening in a story, but when it becomes the focus of the story, I tend to lose interest.  For example, in Woodward, there were a few times where characters became upset with each other, but it didn't bother me since the result was generally a quick breakup and there was not a lot of time spent dwelling on the broken relationship.

I suppose you could say I like light dramas.

#22 2020-02-18 01:09:01

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Jim Divan wrote:

I am aware of what is possible.  I am also aware of how much work and time has to go into making 3D models that detailed.

AHHHH!  Now I see the misunderstanding, at least in your case.  I have exactly ZERO intention of making my own models.  I will be using the models from Daz to do any 3D work.  I am not insane enough to think my skills will ever be good enough to model organics that have to look like things we know about.  (I might be able to pull off a monster or alien, because they don't have to look "right"...)

There are a great many monster/alien models, and morphs for the main people models, that I can use straight from Daz or Renderosity or Renderotica, without having to model my own.  Lighting and texturing will be the two big areas of focus for me.

In any case, the storylines sound interesting, so go for it.

I think I would like to see the graphic novels regardless of the type of graphics.  If the story is good (which yours always are), then the graphics can only add to it.

Well, one issue is that a graphic novel could never be as detailed (or long-winded) as one of my novels.  Think of the number of images to be rendered!  It'd take forever to finish.  If I were to tackle illustrating Woodward, the process could conceivably take longer than writing the books did.

I enjoy some types of drama.  Quite a bit of my erotic story collection would be classified as dramas.  I think what I mean by "soap opera" is the tendency to focus on the negative emotions.  I don't like reading about characters that are angry, jealous, resentful, etc.  It's not that I can't deal with that type of thing happening in a story, but when it becomes the focus of the story, I tend to lose interest.  For example, in Woodward, there were a few times where characters became upset with each other, but it didn't bother me since the result was generally a quick breakup and there was not a lot of time spent dwelling on the broken relationship.

I suppose you could say I like light dramas.

Okay, so you don't want to read about what is currently called "drama" in a relationship.  You don't want to read about the backstabbing and conniving, cheating and lying going on for months and years.

I'll never write that, because I wouldn't want to read it.  Even in AC, where there is a lot of cheating and lying going on, you'll note it's all kept rather lighthearted.  That is entirely intentional.  If I started to delve down into how people really act when their relationships become dysfunctional, I would instantly lose interest in the story.

To quote Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Life's bad enough as it is without wanting to invent any more of it."  Which is why I don't create life.  I create fantasy.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#23 2020-02-18 13:59:24

sacketts86
Inebriated

WANT!!!.....

1. Agent of change
2. Agent of change
3. The circle, a dugerra novel

4. Artifacts

DON'T WANT...
pretty much anything else,
I'm juggling a lot of unfinished series and don't particularly want to start another and I never could get into graphic novels.

#24 2020-02-18 16:57:19

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Not to be nitpicky, but there are 3 other already-started stories on the list that you didn't put in your list...
3dtongue

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#25 2020-02-18 18:17:42

sacketts86
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

Not to be nitpicky, but there are 3 other already-started stories on the list that you didn't put in your list...
3dtongue

Eric Storm

It's been long enough since I read them that I'm not actively looking for more of those story lines

Board footer