#626 2020-11-01 07:16:00

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 8, The

darthel0101 wrote:

One issue, four letters - M.O.A.B.
Other than that, superb sculpting.

(posted from Chapter 13: May - Feral Moon)

Erm... Are you suggesting that they should have somehow gotten their hands on a $200,000, 10.5 ton weapon?  And the C-130 Combat Talon to drop it from?

Or are you suggesting they should have cobbled together its equivalent in 24 hours with no outside resources?

Or are you comparing the electromandy blending to a MOAB explosion?  (I would like to point out it's far closer to an FAE than a MOAB...)

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#627 2020-11-01 09:35:19

bigfoot
Wasted

Eric - Two things: Chapter 13 is brilliant. Simply brilliant.

And two, you lowlife effin' bastard!! Damn you! I knew people would die in this battle, but I shed a tear that still stains my cheek for the last three deaths. Damn you!

#628 2020-11-01 11:38:42

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You hope they're the last three deaths... story still has two more chapters.............

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#629 2020-11-01 11:47:38

bigfoot
Wasted

The reason I said the "last three deaths" was to avoid spoilers for those who haven't yet read the chapter. Given we live in a time of war, I accept there will be more deaths.

#630 2020-11-01 11:51:04

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Of course, it begs the question:  The last three on-screen deaths, or just the last three that we find out died in the battle?  Because those would be different groupings...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#631 2020-11-01 14:18:19

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Eric Storm wrote:

darthel0101 wrote:

One issue, four letters - M.O.A.B.
Other than that, superb sculpting.

Or are you comparing the electromandy blending to a MOAB explosion?  (I would like to point out it's far closer to an FAE than a MOAB...)

Eric Storm

Not looking at the Mandy at all - -
Forgot the FAE acronym but it is hard to forget Mother Of All Bombs - - - IOW, igniting an aerosolized cloud of combustible liquid. It wouldn't have been as impressive as the Mandy mixture, but it would have been much worse than just creating an overgrown fireball. Compare it to the blasts caused in grain silos after the grain has been removed - the dust in the air is literally explosive.
I'll be rereading the chapter today and might have cleared critique later.

Last edited by darthel0101 (2020-11-01 16:38:22)

#632 2020-11-01 18:44:47

KaosKing
Inebriated

Dang Eric. There was one death that definitely brought tears, it was key, but damn that was rough.

Thankfully, the last chapter comes out 2 days before my birthday! 3dbig_smile What an amazing "birthday present" lol

This chapter was hard to swallow, for sure. Thank you Eric

#633 2020-11-01 21:31:08

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

darthel0101 wrote:

Not looking at the Mandy at all - -
Forgot the FAE acronym but it is hard to forget Mother Of All Bombs - - - IOW, igniting an aerosolized cloud of combustible liquid. It wouldn't have been as impressive as the Mandy mixture, but it would have been much worse than just creating an overgrown fireball. Compare it to the blasts caused in grain silos after the grain has been removed - the dust in the air is literally explosive.

You don't need to wait for the grain to be removed... the silo just can't be full. 

In any case, not sure if you're confused or not, but the MOAB is NOT a fuel-air explosive.  It's just... a "damn big bomb".  It is entirely conventional in its makeup: a metal casing surrounding explosives.  It's just that the metal casing surrounds a SHIT-TON of explosives.  3dsmile

But yes, I'd forgotten the ACTUAL FAE that I used in the chapter when I responded... though, honestly both that and the electromandy could both be considered FAE explosions...  IF, that is, they qualify as explosions at all, as opposed to deflagrations, and I'm not sure which way either of those things would go in that case.  The lack of a pressure-inducing mechanism suggests they would be deflagrations, but weapon physics isn't my strong suit.  Perhaps the speed of the ignition might, itself, cause a pressure wave, making them explosions, but... *shrugs*

Either way, I don't want to be standing nearby.  3dbig_smile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#634 2020-11-01 21:33:41

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

KaosKing wrote:

Dang Eric. There was one death that definitely brought tears, it was key, but damn that was rough.

Erm... which one?  The one killed by the were, the demon, or the one who died after the battle was over?

Or was it one of the ones we didn't actually SEE die?

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#635 2020-11-01 22:59:20

SS54
Inebriated

Eric

I will post a spoiler here for all to see! Your one of the best writers I have found on the internet.

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#636 2020-11-02 00:14:48

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Ooof that was a lot

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#637 2020-11-02 00:26:21

thehilz
Completely Blotto

What an emotional chapter. Loved seeing all of the different groups that David had befriended during the series turning up to help. Couldn’t help but chuckle when David asked the one were to please tell him that he had killed someone else besides the professor that the were had just killed.

The demon killed two people close to David unless I misread. The death that brought the most tears to my eyes was definitely the one that occurred after the battle.

Last edited by thehilz (2020-11-02 00:26:48)

#638 2020-11-02 00:52:19

KaosKing
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

KaosKing wrote:

Erm... which one?  The one killed by the were, the demon, or the one who died after the battle was over?

Or was it one of the ones we didn't actually SEE die?

Eric Storm

After the battle was over

#639 2020-11-02 02:28:35

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

KaosKing:  K.

thehilz:  Okay, yes, but the first death clearly didn't have the impact of the second.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#640 2020-11-02 02:52:41

thehilz
Completely Blotto

True thou I do wonder how David would have reacted to the first death if he had the ability to at the time. It’s the only death of someone close to David I can think of that we don’t see him react to.

#641 2020-11-02 03:39:53

bigfoot
Wasted

Eric - Do we ever learn why the demons (or so many demons) sided with the weres?

#642 2020-11-02 06:58:01

darkbringer2010
Tipsy

Hi Eric,

Just want to say, that I have been enjoying your work, for over a decade now.  But, you have clearly outdone yourself, on this particular story.  I was absolutely riveted, while reading it, and anxiously awaiting the next chapters to be released.  Awesome work, truly!  Looking forward to your next project.  Keep up the great work.

Long Live The White Howlers!

#643 2020-11-02 09:46:06

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

thehilz:

He'd have been pissed, but not "Joe-level" pissed.  They were friends, but they weren't THAT close.

bigfoot:

They're demons.  They don't need a reason to cause trouble.  The werewolves asked them to cause chaos.  That's what demons like best.

darkbringer2010 wrote:

...I was absolutely riveted, while reading it...

You should have that looked at.  A tetanus shot might be in order!  3dbig_smile 3dtongue

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#644 2020-11-02 16:01:17

Ssider13
Tipsy

I read this way too fast. 30 days is a long wait.

#645 2020-11-02 23:36:53

ChiefRock
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

IF, that is, they qualify as explosions at all, as opposed to deflagrations, and I'm not sure which way either of those things would go in that case.  The lack of a pressure-inducing mechanism suggests they would be deflagrations, but weapon physics isn't my strong suit.  Perhaps the speed of the ignition might, itself, cause a pressure wave, making them explosions, but... *shrugs*

Either way, I don't want to be standing nearby.  3dbig_smile

Not physics as such but practical bomb stuff I do know. Having said that the MOAB  and the FAE as used in Desert Storm 2. Are far after me but we had these types of bombs During my time. The MOAB And the current FAE are both area weapons but built for different targets Which by the way are not likely to be used in dugerra MOAB is for hard targets--reinforced bomb proof bunkers we had bunker and dam buster bombs same type just smaller and perhaps better aimed. But aiming is secondary the principle is a 10,000 pound bomb going of at one location concentrating the force of say 10 1,000 bombs in one spot. FAE by the definition we used is not a real blast bomb it is used against soft targets. A fAE will not affect reinforcement much it might kill everyone inside though. This weapon works with an implosion the opposite of a blast. The ones we used would suck a soldier out of a foxhole 3ft outside the weapon radius. The big ones they used against the republican guard basically destroyed an army While it will cook off ammo it is more antipersonell doing little direct damage to fixtures fortifications or equipment

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#646 2020-11-03 01:24:59

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Well, as I said, there were two instances in the battle that could be conceivably called FAE "bombs", as they did, in fact, involve an explosive fuel mixed with regular air and then ignited.

As to implosion/explosion/deflagration...  This is why I think FAE might actually be a deflagration, rather than an explosion.  The "sucking" effect you're talking about isn't from the bomb "imploding", but from the fact that it uses up oxygen so fast that it causes a vacuum effect in the area, sucking things toward the center of the blast... which is why they are sometimes called vacuum bombs.

Not that any of this matters, really.  WHOOSH!  or BOOOM!... the bad guy is just as dead.  3dbig_smile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#647 2020-11-03 03:12:06

ChiefRock
Wasted

Yes both hurt and honestly the Deflagration (had to look that up) likely hurts much worse it was explained to us as boiling your lungs instantly like inhaling live steam. something most sailors know all about

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#648 2020-11-03 06:39:33

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yeah... don't do that.  3dsmile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#649 2020-11-04 13:40:09

sfynxnl
Tipsy

Well... what a battle. All those deaths. Especially the ones of those we’ve come to know during this tale. And David’s promise at the end, I think, gives a good indication about how much he cares for them, given that he will continue to ‘live’ for quite some time to come. Now to wait on the final two chapters.

One question is still in my head from the chapter before. David possessed someone to look for something and only found absence of it. But their ‘superior’ was also mentioned before. Of course, there hasn’t been any time for David to look into ‘superior’, but would he find something if he were to look into them.

#650 2020-11-04 14:22:24

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Without Dean Lengel's involvement in the conspiracy, the conspiracy would be meaningless.  David couldn't care less if the Minister of Education was plotting something.  He's not a friend.  But the lack of Dean Lengel's involvement pretty much invalidates the claim made by Dailey, so there's no point to looking into it further.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer