Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#426 2020-04-25 20:03:32

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 8, The

Maverick7508 wrote:

And that very relationship is what resulted in her being in Erle when it was hit.

Actually, she would probably have ended up in Erle anyway.  Keep in mind she was offered the position earlier in the semester.  If she had not been seeing David, she very well might have accepted the job offer the first time.

Further, even if there was someone to blame in that, it would be Quayde, as he's the one that caused the incident.  It would be hard to claim that Quayde's behavior was part of Dailey's plan, as Quayde's "mission" was to get rid of David.

As to whether David and Lise would have become close under a conspiracy-free situation... well, that's an impossible to answer question (unless we're looking at a conspiracy-free situation already...), because anything that would change the environment could make radical changes to the outcome.  Hell, who knows, maybe David would have ended up sleeping with Endora Thropp under different conditions.  Or maybe he'd have boinked Cherise for a little while.  Once you start toying with the starting scenario, making any predictions is pretty impossible.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#427 2020-04-27 01:46:40

HendrixMorton
Inebriated

Wow....So many chapters (months) in this story so far, and this one hit me the hardest...Emotional doesn't even begin to describe it...the Peg sacrifice and the apology scene with Cupcake...damn...I have no words to describe how this chapter affected me...the crowd/mob scene was well done and well handled, but the peg part is what stuck in my mind afterwards...the anguish that David felt, his reaction to the whole episode from start to finish...just damn....

Thank you.

#428 2020-05-05 04:50:17

Maverick7508
Inebriated

I also have to admit, the further we get into this the more and more I keep expecting the conclusion to involve David going full Aang on the Were army. I really do enjoy this story.

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#429 2020-05-05 07:20:02

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Not having watched all of the Airbender series, not sure exactly what that means, but I think I get the basic idea... 

Unless that wasn't the Aang in question...  Then I'm lost.  3dbig_smile

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#430 2020-05-05 11:47:32

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Going "full Aang" would likely be severe enough to be that final step into the Abyss, and the King has already requested that David consider his mental/emotional health before doing such.
I'm hoping that he finishes the Aegis before that becomes necessary.

#431 2020-05-05 13:03:03

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Who says the aegis would prevent it?  The aegis is just a shield, after all.  That's not likely to stop David getting all pissy...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#432 2020-05-05 13:29:00

Maverick7508
Inebriated

Yes I was thinking airbender for that, and as for what I meant darthel it would be combining the elemandy from the scrolls, if real, and the shield to fend off the weres. I could see some potent combinations if he completes the shield and there is anything to the legends of the scrolls. Even if it never happens, the mental image is hilarious.

#433 2020-05-06 06:27:59

Elessar
Completely Blotto

Well... Who is to say that he even has the chance to finish it? Could be a catastrophic issue that prevents him from finishing it and causes him to go to the dark side.

#434 2020-05-06 06:32:57

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Maverick7508 wrote:

Yes I was thinking airbender for that, and as for what I meant darthel it would be combining the elemandy from the scrolls, if real, and the shield to fend off the weres. I could see some potent combinations if he completes the shield and there is anything to the legends of the scrolls. Even if it never happens, the mental image is hilarious.

Ahh.
My memory of Aang using the full power of the Avatar prior to completing his training with scar-face (can't remember his name right now) is him becoming lost in that power and then coming out of its use drained, confused, etc.

Eric,
I don't really expect the Aegis to prevent David's descent into darkness, but if he completes his journey into darkness before completing the Aegis, he is not likely to receive the items needed for it. On the other hand, if he overcomes his dark side, then it might be possible for him to become more active in the war without being overcome by rage.
I fully expect David to go the full journey to that final choice-point and I can only hope that your plan is to divert him at the last moment from taking the dark path. You are the writer, though, and you have already stated that you have a plan, so I am sitting back and enjoying your story as you tell it.

#435 2020-05-07 12:33:48

edjueinnest
Inebriated

good work love the story

(posted from Chapter 1: June)

#436 2020-05-07 23:47:35

thehilz
Completely Blotto

While fighting the fire lord as the end of the series when Aang was in full avatar mode and about to kill the fire lord which would have been against his monk beliefs he all of a sudden regained control of himself and found another way to defeat his enemy(thanks to being given information from a ancient source just before the battle). I do hope that something similar happens with David in that right as he is about to fully embrace his dark side to win the battle he is able to find another way to overcome his enemies.

#437 2020-05-08 02:50:54

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Without wanting to reveal anything outright, let me pose a question for consideration:

When has David's dark side actually gotten out of control during combat?

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#438 2020-05-08 03:38:18

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Only time I can think of is after he finds Lise has been killed and body is being eaten.

#439 2020-05-08 04:01:27

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I knew you were going to mention that, and that was not during combat.  David was not fighting anyone at that point... not even the were.  The were had been disabled before David began his...er... "lesson".  And he hadn't been engaged with other weres immediately prior to this.  ("Immediately" here means seconds, not minutes)  In fact, in this scene, David's combat behavior is perfectly normal.

David's dark side was brought on by something else.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#440 2020-05-08 04:11:08

thehilz
Completely Blotto

I would argue that it was still a combat situation. David might not have been in active combat at the time but the possibility of him having to fight still existed. Also he went on to do the same to another 35 or so weres. I kinda doubt that he didn’t have to fight any of them before they began his lesson.  Although if you say he didn’t then I’ll have to accept that he didn’t since you as the author have ultimate say

Last edited by thehilz (2020-05-08 04:13:38)

#441 2020-05-08 07:20:31

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I said he didn't in the few minutes before he arrived at the site of Lise's death.  They DID take on a few werewolves, to rescue some human victims.  He then stopped fighting.  He gave orders to Giendia and Vivian to continue saving humans, and then he went to find Lise.  He actually actively avoided combat, in order to save time.  He did so by becoming completely invisible.

The point is, combat had nothing to do with what happened to that werewolf.  It wasn't the act of facing those werewolves that caused David's darkness to emerge at that time.  It was caused by something else entirely.  What I'm saying is, if David had come upon that scene completely separate from the chaos that was going on around them that day... he would have acted exactly the same.

What happened afterward could, arguably, be called revenge rather than combat.  Or you could call it combat, but it doesn't matter, because David's slip into darkness had already occurred, so was obviously not caused by it.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#442 2020-05-08 09:12:08

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Ok I see what you mean. You were asking more for the causation than the situation surrounding David’s slip into his dark side.

#443 2020-05-08 16:24:56

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Right, I was relating it to the situation you were mentioning with Aang, where his being out of control was directly caused by the fact that he was in the middle of a battle, rather than the battle simply being coincidental.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#444 2020-06-01 04:46:42

ITRIXSTERI
Tipsy

Thankyou for the new chapter gives me something to read while theres riots going on outside my house stay safe and hope all goes well. I know you were friends with mangusfang do you know what happen to him is he alright.

#445 2020-06-01 04:48:31

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

While I never had any problems with Magusfang, I don't think you could call us friends.  I don't know what's happened to him.  I've emailed him a couple times over the years without result.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#446 2020-06-01 05:00:22

ITRIXSTERI
Tipsy

Thanks for the information an the early birthday present i turn big 30 on the 9th have a good night and be safe.

#447 2020-06-01 05:50:46

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

MaguSfang was also posting in another location where there was more interaction between him and his readers.
I know that he and his wife & mistress pretty much dropped out (IIRC, somewhere on the lower coastline) after he had an issue with some training exercise and NOBODY'S heard from any of them since.

#448 2020-06-01 05:55:47

Elessar
Completely Blotto

Over all I have to say the chapter was well paced and thought out. I felt the pain when they reunited and completely understand Joes logic. Personally I feel I would do the same thing.
I love the name of the lake, still think my idea was better. Of course that is because it is my idea. I do like how you came up with the name though.
I was personally hoping to have some more news about the school but the shield quest is happily underway.

(posted from Chapter 8: January)

#449 2020-06-01 07:32:06

bigfoot
Wasted

Yet another good chapter. As sad as I was with David's apology to Cupcake in December, that is how I felt as David and Joe reunited. The unspoken knowledge that David slept with Zyla must have truly hurt Joe though he had enough humanity left to NOT reveal he knew the truth (or how he really felt about it). If we never hear from Joe again, the last scene between him, Zyla and David is a tribute to his ability to always be a curmudgeon.

Also, well done on showing how David is slipping. He is clearly losing his ability to tolerate fools, not a thing you want in the military. At some point, being an asshole trumps being right (in real life anyway) and it seems David doesn't have far to go to get there. In the past, he would have immediately known to used the finder to locate the GPS anchor. His anger is starting to lessen his ability to be effective at his job.

Last edited by bigfoot (2020-06-01 14:59:49)

#450 2020-06-01 09:33:05

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

bigfoot wrote:

The unspoken knowledge that David slept with Zyla must have truly hurt Joe though he had enough humanity left to reveal he knew the truth (or how he really felt about it).

I don't understand what you're trying to say here.  Could you reword, please?

In the past, he would have immediately known to used the finder to locate the GPS anchor. His anger is starting to lessen his ability to be effective at his job.

Two things:  First, David hadn't even bothered to concern himself with "problem resolution" yet.  He was still in "discipline" mode.  Disciplining the officer (by yelling at him) would be expected, and appropriate.  The vigax made a major mistake.  The only real issue is that David allowed his anger to leak over onto others, which is where his lack of control comes in.

Second, under no circumstances would David have remembered to use the Finder before Jolene did.  It sits on Jolene's desk, she uses it regularly.  Probably the only reason it took her as long as it did to use it was that David's appearance in the room distracted her.

And... you're right, being an asshole always seems to win out over being right.  Look at our politicians.  Assholes, almost all of them.  Right?  Almost never.  The truth is, David's behavior would only prevent him from getting promoted, it wouldn't hurt him otherwise unless he did something drastic, like kill somebody for real.  And David doesn't want to be promoted, so he has no incentive to rein in his behavior.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer