The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Politics
  •  » Read this or children will Die (seriously)

#1 2007-02-02 00:00:25

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Read this or children will Die (seriously)

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#2 2007-02-02 00:27:07

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Read this or children will Die (seriously)

So.... you want us to save children, in already-overpopulated countries, so that they can have more children in a decade or so?  No thanks.  I think the US has much better things to do with its money.

Heartless?  Somewhat.  Rational?  Absolutely.  The countries in question cannot feed the people they already have, without a major change in their societies.  If you want to spend a little money teaching them how to live better, fine.  Throwing away money so that they can continue to overpopulate themselves without fixing their society to be able to handle the population growth is cruel.  It guarantees a worse problem in the future. 

Education should be the number one priority.  I know some will say you have to keep them alive before you can educate them, but no, you don't.  There are enough people living there that are surviving with what they've currently got.  In fact, there are too many of them, which is the problem.  Teach the ones who are living how to care for themselves and their children, and you will diminish the problem immensely, without US dollars.  We may be one of the richest nations on the planet... but we're also up to our necks in debt.  We don't have endless funds to throw at every problem around the world.  Educating people is relatively inexpensive.  If they choose not to heed the education, then they have made the choice to live in squalor.  It is not hard to live hygienically, and doesn't require massive amounts of money.  It does require a different way of thinking, and some knowledge, which we can and should impart.

I know that most are going to call me heartless, but stop and think:  You're talking about sending US dollars to Africa, when there are Americans starving to death.  It is our responsibility to deal with them, first and foremost.  You cannot and should not help others unless and until you have taken care of yourself, and America has by no means taken care of itself yet.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2007-02-02 01:56:27

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Protect the weak from the strong

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#4 2007-02-02 02:41:44

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You are not protecting them from the strong.  You are attempting to protect them from Natural Selection.

And I repeat: What right do we have to send money overseas when we have yet to solve similar domestic problems?  You are placing the concerns of foreigners over the concerns of American citizens.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#5 2007-02-03 06:27:44

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

I have to agree with Net Wolf on this one.

The US government should not, should never have been, a charitable organization. That's what we have the Red Cross, The Peace Corps and church groups for. They are charities. If people want to help, send these organizations over there, if you want to help, donate money or time to the charity. The US government isn't the right group for it.

And, as Net stated, if the US government is going to act as a charity, it's first priority should be to it's own citizens.

Last edited by Jefferson (2007-02-03 06:28:08)

#6 2007-02-06 15:57:21

dv8n
Wasted

Sorry Neitherspace...
      I have to agree with Net....we as Americans allow our government to run around trying to save a world that HATES us...and that same government that we enpowered lets our own people starve and freeze...some of us are lazy peices of shit ( I mean us as in Americans in general) we don't have jobs or look for them when we can and should be working BUT does that mean that those people's children should starve when they are from here when other's get fed so they can stick their tongues out at us and say fuck you america when they get older.... too many other countries have taken our kindness when they needed it and then when they returned to their feet they simply slapped our faces for helping  ...well I'm sorry but I say FUCK THAT AND FUCK THEM 

AMERICA SHOULD CARE FOR AMERICANS FIRST

:lol:

• Index
  •  » Politics
  •  » Read this or children will Die (seriously)

Board footer