The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#151 2017-03-11 04:12:06

ChiefRock
Wasted

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 7, The

Was glad to hear from Cloe again Eric.  I am one of your readers who really enjoy tying up loose ends like "Where did they go?"
One thing I keep waiting for is the amulet that Jailla found the stone for and what it is good for. Another great chapter, Just wish I read slower than folks can write.  Oh well at my age I have had to learn patience

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#152 2017-03-11 05:46:30

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

If you like loose ends tied up, you should like book 7.  It brings to a close several things that have been floating around.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#153 2017-03-11 07:18:54

Braezil
Tipsy

Just curious if anyone asked. What's happened to all the characters from David's Pre-K undead life. I know about the parents and his tier 1 tormentors .....But what about his psuedo-kid sister.....Maybe she grows up and learns about diggers ðŸ˜

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#154 2017-03-11 08:09:04

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

3dhmm

...what the hell are you talking about?

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#155 2017-03-11 15:42:52

turshen
Inebriated

Another excellent chapter! Just hope the investigations show some progress soon. Also hoping the the Potion Master Stroud discovers a better treatment for his goddaughter.

#156 2017-03-12 00:55:19

Lucien33
Inebriated

Good chapter. Kind of wish it was just a bit longer but that's just me wanting more chapters lol.

(posted from Chapter 3: August)

#157 2017-03-12 02:22:39

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

This chapter was of average length for the Woodward series.  If it had been longer, you'd have had to wait longer for it... still wish it was longer?

3dsmile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#158 2017-03-12 06:34:01

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Eric Storm wrote:

This chapter was of average length for the Woodward series.  If it had been longer, you'd have had to wait longer for it... still wish it was longer?

3dsmile

Eric Storm

YES!!!!!  3dsmile

#159 2017-03-12 06:52:52

Braezil
Tipsy

Eric Storm wrote:

3dhmm

...what the hell are you talking about?

Eric Storm

Sorry her name is Tracey from year 1, and David was crashing at her crib (while Tracey and her parents were away) while we was causing some well deserved havoc in evergreen terrace(I assume that's the name of the town). I was wondering what's happened to her. Also, I love the series.

#160 2017-03-12 07:03:54

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Tracey was NEVER David's "pseudo kid sister".  She was just a girl who happened to be a neighbor.  They had no relationship close to what you suggest, or David might have tried to talk with her about what had happened.

And "Pre-K"?  What the hell would the "K" stand for in this context?  And what the hell are "diggers"?

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#161 2017-03-12 15:29:15

Crusader
Wasted

Sniper wrote:

Eric Storm wrote:

Thanks for the comments, everyone.  Glad you enjoyed the chapter, belated though it might have been.

Sniper:  Um... just where do you think this spell came from?

Eric Storm

This is, if I remember correctly, the second or third spell that you took from german. Although it is not 100% correct, if I am right in my assumption. Several others I could recognize as or track to other languages, ie. "Pichac" means to pitch in Hindi.

"Formendi Senrasen" = Formen disen Rasen = correct "Forme diesen Rasen" or in english "Shape this lawn" (your original english sentence might have been slightly different. Of course this could just be a coincidence.

Now that is interesting, i'll be using that concept if i ever need magic words in the future.

edit: added the quote in because i didn't realized i wasn't on the last page of the thread.

Last edited by Crusader (2017-03-12 15:36:11)

#162 2017-03-12 18:55:22

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Glad you did, Crusader, because I somehow had missed Sniper's response altogether.

As to this particular spell, Sniper, you're close, but not exact.  This spell came from TWO languages, and I believe the English phrase I chose was, in fact, "mow lawn", though I could be mistaken: I don't generally worry about what the English phrase was once I'm done.  This is how I form almost all of the spells in Woodward Academy:  I use Google Translate.  I pick an English phrase to describe the spell, then I translate that into various languages until I find something that I like the sound of.  Often I will modify it to make it easier to pronounce (and to just generally not make it an exact translation).  Sometimes, like with formendi senrasen, I will use more than one language in a single spell.  Languages that I have used enough so that I remember which ones they are include German, Latin, Czech, Swahili, Afrikaans, Greek, and Russian.  I'm quite sure there are others, but I don't remember for sure. I think I used Filipino for one...  WHICH language I use isn't important to me.  I'm only looking for how it sounds to me.

There are a few exceptions to this concept.  There have been one or two spells in English, for instance.  Then there was the sku iji cleaning spell, which is just "squeegee" respelled.  And, of course, there are at least two spells which are mere modifications of phrases from movies.

And there are perhaps one or two spells which are actually completely made up... but I couldn't tell you which ones those are.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#163 2017-03-12 22:27:16

veon
Inebriated

Sniper wrote:

You forgot about Lydia, which I also ruled out. Maybe I need to reread all books once again, but I still have another female in mind.

Already introduced might include any kind of interaction, no matter how small or short lived, as long as that person appeared in any of the books. In the overall secrecy regarding some non-human races, we cannot even be sure that every suspected human is truely human. OK, maybe a bit farfetched...but this is a world of magic with endless possibilities.

funny couse I thought that Olissa was a were spy before all the I am destined to be your slave thing

#164 2017-03-13 00:32:58

Sniper
Inebriated

If something makes sense with only one language, I usually don't bother looking for something else. In the end, these are just little mind games.

And I have to admit, that I don't really care, who will end up as David's main partner. If it fits the story, he can even marry Devin and I will be happy. But sometimes it is just fun to follow certain trains of thoughts and see where I end up.

#165 2017-03-13 01:25:44

Braezil
Tipsy

Eric Storm wrote:

Tracey was NEVER David's "pseudo kid sister".  She was just a girl who happened to be a neighbor.  They had no relationship close to what you suggest, or David might have tried to talk with her about what had happened.

And "Pre-K"?  What the hell would the "K" stand for in this context?  And what the hell are "diggers"?

Eric Storm

Ugh spell check is so not 😣 funny.
OK "Pre-K" was supposed to be "pre-undead" and"diggers"="duggera" 😠ðŸ˜

#166 2017-03-13 04:48:11

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Olissa.

A were spy.

Let's consider this concept for a moment.

She started the story in book 1, while Alpha Gadevok was still alive and in control.  That Alpha was seeking peaceful relations with Callamandia.

...What, exactly, would he be doing spying on A SCHOOL?

Eric Storm

PS:  And please, before you say, "No, he was spying on David, not the school!" Consider that when David met Olissa, David was in no way significant to ANYTHING...

----
Facebook page

#167 2017-03-13 05:32:03

Crusader
Wasted

I don't think it would be feasible to have a 1st year student be a spy. Someone​ on the maintenance staff would be a better position for that, they are visible and all but ignored, and have (or had) the ability to enter any room.

However a reason to spy on a wizard school, assuming that resources are available.
Any student that stays > 6 years is going to have both the right certificates and the smarts to become somehow important to a neighboring country, getting information, early and often is hardly ever a negative.

Edit: weird typo.
Edit: fixed bad spacing from above edit.

Last edited by Crusader (2017-03-13 10:41:10)

#168 2017-03-13 06:07:36

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

But what would you need a *spy* for?  You'd know which people were attending the school, there would be no point in watching their daily activities.  If you were going to "spy" in this fashion, you'd identify a target, first, someone with a weakness that can be exploited to get either information, or outright defection.  Spying on the school randomly is a waste of an asset.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#169 2017-03-13 10:55:55

Crusader
Wasted

Asset \ resources, tomato, tomato

I didn't once say this was a good use of resources, I was just trying to come up with a reason to spy, and if you have the available resources, that would mean that you are already spying everywhere that matters.

It was an amusing concept from veon, that I just decided to run with.

Tangent:
Before today I wasn't thinking about why the school was going to be attacked
A possible reason that the school is to be attacked, given​ that it is no longer a military Outpost, it would be a good place to get a foothold into the country. The weres must be thinking it will be a easy target, that once they have taken they can fortify.

Edit: 2 posts, 2 typos. Sigh might have to go back to school myself... Or stop using my phone to type.

Last edited by Crusader (2017-03-13 10:58:27)

#170 2017-03-13 12:56:38

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

What if that special portal David read about in that book written by Jacob's late wife happened to be somewhere inside mount Woodward? 

Why was mount Woodward built where it is and not somewhere else along the coast?  Why did the weres attack Mt. Woodward several times while under Lord Woodward?  Since Lord Woodward successfully defended the castle several times, why didn't the weres move on to softer targets after two or three defeats?

Just wondering when that 'universal portal' or whatever the name of the thing was will come back into the story.  After all, David hasn't really spent too much time exploring the areas inside or under Mt. Woodward.  However, some of the other students seem to have explored at least parts of it.  I suspect that one of the reasons 'The Clan' is often outside Santana Hall is because they learned about the secret areas beneath it, or at least some of the secret areas.  Who knows what they are doing down there.

#171 2017-03-13 14:16:01

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

Another reason for taking Woodward is revenge.  This Alpha is trying to "reclaim" territory that Vrudena has lost.  This mean he is DEFINITELY someone with a sense of history.  When you consider that despite a siege Mt. Woodward never fell, he could be trying to take the fortress out of spite.  It is also a good way to rub Lord Woodward's "face" in it since he is still around.

As for why the Vrudenan government would want to spy on a "friendly" nation, preventative maintenance.  Israel, the U.S., Russia, China, Germany, Japan every single major power in he 20th and 21st centuries have spied on each other despite whatever relations they have at any time.  Hell, if you want a "literary" reference the Tal Shiar from Star Trek spy on ANYONE that MIGHT be a threat, which is EVERYONE.  The general idea is "forewarned is forearmed," which is the whole point of espionage in the first place, but taken to an extreme.

#172 2017-03-13 20:52:05

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Barbarian:

Mt. Woodward could not have been built with the OmniPortal in mind: the concept had not been discovered yet.  And to this day, no one knows where it is.  The OmniPortal, and portals in general, were discovered by Giselle Pendergrast, Jacob's wife, well after the Second Were War. 

And I think it's safe to say that if The Clan was regularly prowling Woodward's interior, the staff would be far more interested in getting rid of them.  Otherwise they would not have been so adamant about David keeping the location of faculty housing a secret. 

Why did the weres keep attacking Mt. Woodward?  Because it was the military headquarters for the region.  It was in charge of the defense of that entire section of the nation.  Sure, there were softer targets... but they were also significantly less useful, militarily.  Other regions of the nation were defended by castles just as strong.  Why do you think the Callamandians won the war?

Crusader:

The problem with taking Mt. Woodward as a foothold is it would then be an ISOLATED foothold, with no means of resupply.  Wars are won and lost on logistics.  Trying to resupply by sea would be easy to prevent, and in order to resupply overland, they'd have to already have taken all the land between the coast and Vrudena, thus negating the value of Mt. Woodward as a foothold.

Fenixreign:

Yes, countries spy on allied countries' governments.  There is no government in or around Mt. Woodward.  Otherwise they'd have to be spying on a very specific person who just happened to be attending Woodward Academy.  Since the original suggestion was about Olissa, that would lead directly to David, and as I said, David was a non-entity at the time she entered the story.  He's barely an entity, politically speaking, at this point in Book 7.

As to taking Mt. Woodward out of revenge:  Wanting to reclaim lost land says nothing about a sense of "history".  It says something about a sense of being wronged.  If there was any sense of "history", he'd be aware that any piece of land only belongs to one group of people so long as no other group of people is able to take it from them.  And even if he did want to do it out of revenge, what kind of total pussy would he look like to his people, attacking an unarmed civilian school?  There's no glory in defeating the defenseless.

As I already said, there is a militarily valid reason for attacking Mt. Woodward.  Revenge is not militarily valid.  Gaining an isolated foothold isn't militarily valid.  Going after a mythical portal is also not militarily valid.

NEXT!

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#173 2017-03-13 23:27:23

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Eric Storm wrote:

As I already said, there is a militarily valid reason for attacking Mt. Woodward.  Revenge is not militarily valid.  Gaining an isolated foothold isn't militarily valid.  Going after a mythical portal is also not militarily valid.

NEXT!

Eric Storm

There is one reason I can think of that would make Woodward a valid target, in some minds. There are.... issues with the idea though.

The reason the school might be a target is because... well... because it's a school. The students who go there are growing up to be some of the brightest and strongest wizards in Callamandia. Of course, it's a target. Especially for a nation like the Were nation which, if I remember correctly, don't have many wizards. The school, just by being a school of magic is a threat. The fact that some of the children are the children of some of the richest, and some of the most powerful people in Callamandia also happen to attend the school, would also make it a target.

Now, the issues with the idea...

1) As Eric said, what kind of total pussy would he look like to his people, attacking an unarmed civilian school? What kind of total pussy would he look like if he used children as hostages? Based on Eric's prior statement, taking the children hostage, doesn't seem like a good idea.

2) Again, the same line from Eric, that it's an unarmed civilian school, makes attacking it to ensure the wizards being trained there don't come back and fight against the were's also makes it a less than perfect argument. There's also the problem that, when the Were's begin their attack, a lot, if not most, of the children will, I assume, be evacuated from Woodward. Making taking Woodward even less valuable.

Ladies and gentlemen, there is only ONE conclusion that I can come up with that explains why the Were's are going to attack Woodward, that fits with what Mr. Storm has told us.....

There's something about Mt. Woodward, about the Woodward Academy, or about someone, probably staff at the Academy, that we don't know or that hasn't registered as important to us, the reader. Some small little thing that that was mentioned in an off-hand manner three books ago that will become oh-so-important in the next book or two. Maybe it's those unexplored tunnels under Mt. Woodward. Maybe the Were's know something that we don't. Maybe it's something that is hidden, or simply stored, down there. Maybe one of the staff is a formerly great military general, now retired, that the Were's want to kill or keep contained. Maybe it's the ghost of Lord Woodward himself.

Last edited by Jefferson (2017-03-13 23:30:20)

#174 2017-03-13 23:58:27

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Maybe it gets attacked because the war has gone so poorly that the king has taken refuge there, and...

Whoops!  Ahem, I mean, um... I'm not gonna tell you what's going on.

3dangel

You're trying to infer why something will happen nearly two years from now, without taking into account all of the things that will happen between now and then.  You can be forgiven for this, since you don't know what will happen between now and then, but it points out the uselessness of this line of speculation.  One or more of you may have been right, for all the wrong reasons.  Or I might have just told you what happens, and covered it up by making this statement.  OR, none of it is correct, and Woodward is attacked for an entirely different purpose.

But I'm nnnot gonnnnna tellllll yyyyooouuuuuuuu.....

3dtongue

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#175 2017-03-14 03:05:25

Crusader
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

Crusader:

The problem with taking Mt. Woodward as a foothold is it would then be an ISOLATED foothold, with no means of resupply.  Wars are won and lost on logistics.  Trying to resupply by sea would be easy to prevent, and in order to resupply overland, they'd have to already have taken all the land between the coast and Vrudena, thus negating the value of Mt. Woodward as a foothold.

Ah this is me not remembering the map you have described.

Eric Storm wrote:

NEXT!
Eric Storm

LOL

Board footer