The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#326 2017-08-07 07:56:34

Sniper
Inebriated

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 7, The

The problems with small were-creatures might be to find a size to stop going smaller. Were-rats (those exist in D&D) could very well be the ultimate infiltration method. Damn, the war could already be over. Just imagine millions of were-rats with swords the size of toothpicks...

#327 2017-08-07 17:11:06

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Just imagine a nice pyromandy-controlled flamethrower to burn the lot of them to a cinder...
Or a bit of aquamandy to drown them (rats can only swim for just so long...)
Or a fairly trivial bit of terramandy to simply bury them alive...
Getting rid of rats would be element-ary, my dear Watson...

3dsmile

Weres are not as strong in the wizard department as straight humans.  They are far more susceptible to magical attack.  This kind of swarm of small creatures really has little chance of succeeding.  But a were-rat would make a great spy.

On the other hand, all the weres we've seen morph into something vaguely human-sized (slightly larger, in the case of the wereoxen...).  What the hell does a were-rat morph into?  A pixie???  (No, this is NOT possible, before someone suggests it.  Pixies, like all fairies, are purely magical, and could not have their form altered by being "turned".)

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#328 2017-08-08 06:30:11

Sniper
Inebriated

A were-rat would obviously morph into Tom Thumb.

Now back to the question why David does not let Jailla spy on our little thief. Or he could have Bispy tracking it, as I am somehow missing our little cave dragon.

#329 2017-08-08 07:29:32

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

To follow this cat would require Jailla to do so at close quarters.  If the cat was "out in the open", humans could follow him.  Under no circumstances is David going to risk Jailla's life on something this petty.

As to tracking him with Bispy:  First off, Bispy isn't a "little" cave dragon at this point.  He's had six full years to grow since he entered the story, and he's about halfway to his "full size" point in life.  Though obviously still able to fit into a dorm room or house, one can imagine that Bispy is getting close to a point where most rooms will seem crowded with him in them unless he's curled up.  And this leads to the same problem Jailla has, for a different reason.  Bispy cannot track Tom because Bispy cannot go where Tom can go.  He is simply too large.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#330 2017-08-10 04:24:42

Timberwolf92
Inebriated

Just got done taking the last 8 days rereading the chapters up to the present, and one question that just would not leave me alone was, "Will we ever find out what Marcus' grandfather does for a living?"
I don't truly want an answer just had to ask so l could get it out of my head for awhile.

#331 2017-08-10 05:41:53

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

He is the Illustrious Potentate of the Grand Mystic Royal Order of the Nobles of the Ali-Baba Temple of the Shrine.

3dsmile

(Extra points if you get the reference)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#332 2017-08-12 11:05:52

Maverick7508
Inebriated

So, I have to ask this since my curiosity has been bugging me for a while now. How many of your characters in the WAY series are NOT references? I did a re-read recently and realized there are so many, even a key and peele reference. Just asking so my brain will let me rest.

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#333 2017-08-12 17:57:10

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay... I guarantee you there isn't a Key & Peele reference in there, because I have never watched that.  Which one did you think was a reference to K&P?

David's name isn't a reference.  In fact, none of the initial primary characters are "references", as such, with the exception of Joe Garibaldi, Vivian Columbo, and Dean Lengel.  Some of them were names recommended by others, or in one case actually requested, but I don't consider that a reference.

But I couldn't sit here and tell you how many names are/aren't references to something.  I have trouble coming up with names for things.  That's one of the reasons I use references in this story to begin with.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#334 2017-08-15 02:39:39

Timberwolf92
Inebriated

Never really listened to any of Ray Steven's songs, could be because Shriner's Convention aired 12 years before l was born.
P.S My brother used to have several of his albums.

#335 2017-08-15 02:46:59

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

... And Glen Miller was popular more than 30 years before I was born.  Doesn't mean I don't listen to his music...

I have as many of Ray Stevens' older songs as I can find, barring his gospel stuff (except "Turn the Radio On" which I happen to like, despite being an Agnostic...).  In general, I listen to whatever I happen to like, and I try to seek out different kinds of music - if only briefly - to see if I like them.  Although a great deal of rock music gets ruled out by virtue of the fact that it is intended to be played at volumes to rival jet aircraft taking off...  (And sure, I know you CAN turn the volume down... but then you realize just how bad it sounds.)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#336 2017-08-27 15:14:08

Maverick7508
Inebriated

Sorry about my earlier post, I just kept hitting so many references that it got me thinking a bit too much about some of the characters. As for the key and Peele thing, professor j. Qwellyn seemed funny after watching the inner city teacher skit. Still, I love the story and look forward to October when I can actually afford to donate again.

#337 2017-08-27 18:33:00

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Miss J is actually a personal reference for Keeshaba, so not one that anyone else is going to understand.  There are several of these "personal" references throughout the story, which will not be explained to protect the privacy of the person or persons being referenced.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#338 2017-08-27 23:54:29

Blackie
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

... And Glen Miller was popular more than 30 years before I was born.  Doesn't mean I don't listen to his music...
Eric Storm

Oh you child you.

-Himself

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing." -Randy K. Milholland

#339 2017-08-29 08:37:14

Kiwozi
Inebriated

Well what can I say. That was , well? ahh! Just Magic that's what it was. 3dsmile. Couldn't help myself.

(posted from Chapter 6: November)

#340 2017-09-02 03:17:30

Timberwolf92
Inebriated

Another extraordinary chapter Eric.
**(Hints at a spoiler below. Read at your own risk)**
I took particular enjoyment to David's reunion with two of his enemies.

(posted from Chapter 7: December)

#341 2017-09-02 05:38:17

StoryJunkie
Wasted

ok..WOW, this was a good month. Dammit Eric, the story just keeps getting better and making it harder to wait for the next chapter lol. Oh well, I guess in 2 weeks I will start it all over again from chapter 1 to current, something I haven't done lately, I've just been re reading a few previous chapters to keep reminding myself what was going on....because as they say, as you age the first thing to go is yo...........I forget

(posted from Chapter 7: December)

#342 2017-09-02 08:04:36

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Marcus Savolar's grandfather is supposed to be a bigwig of some kind... he was briefly mentioned by the magistrate when David was being sued by Marcus' father for his wand being broken by David.  I don't want to over speculate, but will he and the other Savolar's make an appearance in Book 7 or 8?  I have my own theory, but I'm not sure I want to launch a whole lot of speculation when Eric doesn't seem to like that.  </evil grin>

#343 2017-09-02 09:16:07

dude8
Inebriated

Very much enjoyed Year 7: december.

My only minor critique (and please take it as only minor) is that I will admit to being a little sad that there wasn't much content in the way of his yule celebration (not that i'm particularly tied to the actual..religion/tradition/whatever of it, it was just always fun to see how the characters interacted during that time). Previous years seemed to have more "life" stuff mixed in with the drama arc, Year 7 is more..."cop drama"y.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a very good story, I just hope less of his personal life stuff gets skipped over in the future 3dsmile

#344 2017-09-02 18:19:29

howietom
Tipsy

but it is now all about that he is a cop and trying to save the school from war. so on to the next chapter 3dsmile

#345 2017-09-02 22:57:43

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

dude8:

It was skipped over because he didn't actually do anything.  The one "unique" thing he did for this yule is what I talked about: he went to see Lise.

The fact is, there's nothing to talk about with Yule for David right now.  It's really just him and Olissa.  He went to the staff Christmas Party, maybe had a small gathering of his own in the evening for Gwen/Jess, and Joe/Zyla/Grace... but he doesn't really have many friends in the immediate area, and the fact is, really, he's pretty busy, so he doesn't have time for more elaborate preparations.

Barbarian

My only problem with the speculation is that, eventually, almost every possibility is covered, which means it's basically spoiled whatever surprise there might have been.  It's a bit disheartening, when I think I've come up with something clever to put into the story, to see someone else just blithely blurt it out here on the forum as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.  Otherwise, I actually welcome new ideas for the story.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#346 2017-09-02 23:04:15

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Oh, just one additional point:

There's nothing religious about the Yuletide celebration in Dugerra.  It's more philosophical, and was brought about by the early Callamandian calendar, which had 12 months of 30 days each, and this 5-day period actually did not belong to any year.  In the "old days", no one worked during this period (unless absolutely necessary).  Stores were closed, and it was a nationwide festival.

In case you're wondering, in the olden days, "leap year" was handled by extending Halloween into a two-day festival, and that day didn't belong to any month.

All of these things were mostly done away with when Callamandia decided to adopt the Gregorian calendar so as to keep in synch with Earth.  The Yule festival, however, was still the most important festival of the year.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#347 2017-09-02 23:06:12

neolyn
Wasted

I have some questions about the were nation.To be more acurate  about the army.

Since it's a wolf pack kind of government how does it go ? Everyone able has to take up arms in time of war  ?

And how about the weres who aren't in the country ?

Garibaldi and Lengel refer to what ? Goliath , I understand because we had the cartoon in my country, Columbo too  but the rest ... : /

#348 2017-09-03 00:37:34

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

First, those weres not in the country (I'll assume you mean not living in the country) aren't citizens of Vrudena, so would not be affected by whatever Vrudena does.  Though it is called The Were Nation, not all weres live there or have any allegiance to it.

And the government is clearly not a "wolf pack" style government, or the alpha would be forever defending his rule.  Vrudena and Callamandia have very similar government styles, but with different manners of picking the line of succession.  (Callamandia doesn't use blood sports to pick their next king, in other words.  3dsmile )  Also, Vrudena is not occupied solely by werewolves.  There are werecats, werebirds, wereoxen, werephins, etc.  Werewolves are merely the most dominant of these races.  Vrudena also has a Beta Council, but it has even less power than the King's Council does.  Its job is essentially to handle the day-to-day crap that the alpha doesn't wish to bother with.

The Vrudenan army is not compulsory, nor does it need to be.  Werewolves are aggressive by nature, and the army gives them the chance to fight and break shit.  They aren't hurting for enlistees.

As to your other question:  I have no idea what country you're from, so I don't know if my telling you where any particular reference comes from would even make sense.  The books are loaded with references; almost every name in the books come from something.  The specific two you mention:

Joe Garibaldi:  His name must be paired with another one to explain the full range of the reference.  When introduced, Joe Garibaldi was partnered with Bill Sheridan.
Joe and Bill: the two main characters on the TV show "Dragnet" (1967 version).
Garibaldi and Sheridan: two of the main characters on the TV show "Babylon 5".

Dean Emile Lengel's name is an anagram for Madeleine L'Engle, author of A Wrinkle in Time.  (Hence why "Emile" is spelled funny.)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#349 2017-09-03 01:52:44

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Since we are discussing names, Professor Allen P. Edgars... Edgar Allen Poe reference maybe?

#350 2017-09-03 04:07:48

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Obviously.  I mean, c'mon, he talks with a creepy monotonous voice and deals with poisonous plants.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer