The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#301 2017-07-26 20:56:19

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 7, The

Although he may not go for a license, I can see studying earth based medicine simply for the anatomical knowledge.  There seem to be some things about the human body that Healers don't understand.  They may be able to repair it, but they don't necessarily understand it.  Think what else could be done with the merging of magical healing, potion making and medicine/science.  It could be a very powerful combination in the long run.  Besides, David showed a propensity for science/chemistry early in his academic career.

#302 2017-07-26 22:17:32

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Chemistry is not biology.  Trust me: I suck at chemistry.  At biology, I'm pretty good.  And David is not a healer; he has said so repeatedly.  He has been forced into the role several times, but he struggles with it every time.  It is only his sheer skill as a wizard that gets him through.  In any case, the interest isn't there, so it is unlikely he would pursue that avenue of study.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#303 2017-07-27 06:55:40

Sniper
Inebriated

Eons ago when I went to school I chose chemistry as an advanced course. My teacher strongly advised that I should do the same with biology as it would help. What did I do? I didn't take biology at all.

I am wondering if the choice of his first real career will be linked to who will become his female prime.

#304 2017-07-27 07:19:02

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Without trying to comment one way or the other about that sort of thing... how do you envision that as happening?  How would his "wife" affect his choice of career?

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#305 2017-07-27 13:56:01

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

I could see it as complementary skill sets.  Maybe a woman that has one or two skills that they have in common, but while he is truth and justice she brings temperance, because he WILL get extreme.  Olissa helps, but her needs prevent her from speaking her mind too often or he just keeps her completely out of the loop.

Last edited by Fenixreign (2017-07-28 03:00:46)

#306 2017-07-27 16:42:33

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

For that to make a difference, they'd have to work together.  As of right now, that would narrow the field to two people.  (I'm not saying this is accurate, just pointing it out.)

Eric Storm

PS:  I'm not saying it isn't accurate, either.  misch_smiley

----
Facebook page

#307 2017-07-28 03:00:17

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

True, but working together doesn't necessarily mean working for the same employer or even in the same sector.  Law & Order is a great example.  Police are investigators, DAs prosecute the accused, Defense defends the accused and judges make sure the rule of law is followed.  I honestly think that a judge or an arbitrator would make a great ccomplement to David.  They tend to have more even tempers and are the type to listen with open minds but rules to guide them.  David can get bullheaded and pushy when he thinks he is right regardless of the rules or the law.  Judges and arbitrators tend to know how to think and debate whie seeing all sides to that debate.

The thing is that David NORMALLY allows reason and logic to dictate his actions, but once he starts down Frustration Lane, he allows his emotions to start influencing him more and more.  This means that even the personalities would tend to overlap some, at least to start.  Now if that wizard that is his female prime ALSO has complementary magical skills, complete win!

Regardless, this is just how I see ONE possibility.  I am definitely NOT looking for confirmation that I am either correct or incorrect.  I just have fun throwing plausible theories out there for those of us that are fans to discuss and you can sit back and hopefully enjoy the postulating.

Last edited by Fenixreign (2017-07-29 04:53:19)

#308 2017-07-28 04:02:44

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Your comments confuse me in only one respect.  I fully agree that David tends to get pushy when he gets frustrated... but when has that ever actually steered him wrong?  You call him "bullheaded", but that's a term that normally implies someone who sticks to what they believe even in the face of evidence to the contrary.  As far as I can remember, I've never written a situation of this type for David...

Also, I think I should point out that the only difference between David and a magistrate is about a year and a half of schooling, and two exams.  (In other words, anyone finishing their 8th year of wizarding college successfully - including the 8th year final exam - will qualify to be a magistrate.  Whether they choose to do that job or not is immaterial: they are qualified.)  The law in Dugerra isn't nearly as over-complicated as it is in, say, the United States, and does not require years upon years of dedicated study to master.  That's one of the reasons that the magistrate that David regularly deals with is so informal with him: it's just the nature of the job.

Not that any of this rules out your suggestion that David winding up with a member of the judicial system would be beneficial for all concerned.  I'm just saying that some of what you're saying is based on things that don't apply to Dugerra.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#309 2017-07-28 08:05:33

Sniper
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

Without trying to comment one way or the other about that sort of thing... how do you envision that as happening?  How would his "wife" affect his choice of career?

It is not necessarily his female prime affecting his choice of career. All I said was that they might be linked. This could also mean that he will meet her because of his chosen career. If he finds her before chosing a career it might influence his choice as she might not be able to move where his job may take him. It might be a girl on Earth not wanting to move to Dugerra. There are so many different possibilities.

#310 2017-08-01 06:05:38

StoryJunkie
Wasted

Things are getting even more interesting (again lol) Jeeeeeze I hate trying to say something I liked about a chapter without giving out spoilers....I wonder what Krista was talking about, but I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Great chapter Eric, and now the wait begins for another month

(posted from Chapter 6: November)

#311 2017-08-01 16:52:41

Brad_Sinclair
Tipsy

Can I ask if David's future wife has been introduced in the story yet, talked about or shown up, in either the publicly released material or the pre-released material? I'm not asking who she is and don't want to know yet, just if she has been in the story already.

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#312 2017-08-01 17:46:42

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You can ask...  misch_smiley

Answering this question would spoil my fun, so I'm not gonna.
3dbig_smile

Thanks for your interest, though!
Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#313 2017-08-02 03:38:58

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Excellent chapter. Liked how some of the cases got wrapped up. Less to try and remember lol. Wonder how David going to catch Tattered Tom.

#314 2017-08-02 12:58:50

Sniper
Inebriated

thehilz wrote:

Wonder how David going to catch Tattered Tom.

My best bet would be sending Jailla on a surveillance mission.

#315 2017-08-02 17:52:31

justsomeguy
Inebriated

Even though it's not actually a cat...

#316 2017-08-02 18:10:52

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You don't know that.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#317 2017-08-02 21:06:40

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

ok, we may not know that... but I'd almost be willing to bet an ice cream sunday that it's someone that has either had themselves morphed or morphed themselves.

Heck, I could see some lonely nerd doing it, at first, just so he could sit in a girls lap and get petted.

Last edited by Barbarian3165 (2017-08-02 21:07:53)

#318 2017-08-02 22:02:31

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

An ice cream sunday?  Is that a Sunday where you only eat ice cream?  I kind of like the sound of this... 

Breakfast:  Orange sherbet (instead of orange juice), and rocky road (instead of Lucky Charms with milk...)

Lunch:  Ice cream sandwiches

Dinner:  soft-serve ice cream "pasta" with chocolate-covered ice cream "meatballs" and strawberry sauce
Dessert:  Well, an ice cream cake, of course! 

3dbig_smile

Mmmm.  I think I like Ice Cream Sunday.

Eric Storm

What do you mean, it's a typo?  What's this about meaning "sundae", and not "Sunday"????

Guarddammit, and I was all set for the weekend...  *kicks ground and walks away...*

----
Facebook page

#319 2017-08-03 03:31:25

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

I've actually seen it spelled both ways, and if I remember correctly it was originally spelled Sunday because the guy that came up with it only served it on Sundays.  That is until the community leaders/elders/whatever decided it was wrong to name it after the 'lords day of rest'!  So the guy changed it to Sundae...  This all assumes that I remember correctly the documentary that talked about things that had their names changed by force due to some obscure or religious reasoning.  They also forced him to stop selling it on Sunday... communist fascist pigs that they were.

#320 2017-08-03 05:40:16

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The origin of the term is obscure, especially since the origin of the treat is contested... but the term has been spelled "sundae" since the late 1800's.  At this point, I think it's safe to say that the correct spelling of the word ends in 'e'.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#321 2017-08-03 07:20:12

Sniper
Inebriated

Barbarian3165 wrote:

ok, we may not know that... but I'd almost be willing to bet an ice cream sunday that it's someone that has either had themselves morphed or morphed themselves.

Heck, I could see some lonely nerd doing it, at first, just so he could sit in a girls lap and get petted.

Hmmmm....do we know if there are were-kittycats?

#322 2017-08-03 07:37:25

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

We have met a werecat.  She was a leopard, if I recall correctly.  (Or a cheetah, but I think I used a leopard...)  She was in one of the familiarization seminars.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#323 2017-08-03 13:19:30

justsomeguy
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

You don't know that.

Eric Storm

*Bows respectfully to the Creator* True M'Lord, especially when faced with the One who controls the very fabric (and story flow) of this universe.

#324 2017-08-04 08:31:00

Sniper
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

We have met a werecat.  She was a leopard, if I recall correctly.  (Or a cheetah, but I think I used a leopard...)  She was in one of the familiarization seminars.

Eric Storm

I remember Darla and you are right about the leopard. My question was more related to the size. As we are talking about a "normal house cat", I was wondering if there were that small types of weres (ie. were sphynx cat). Sorry for not being clear with the wording.

#325 2017-08-04 16:58:42

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

We have not met any small were-creatures of any type.  This is not to say that they don't possibly exist, but we have not met any, nor have any been mentioned.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer