Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#276 2017-07-04 18:34:55

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 7, The

Freezing always distorts the water's shape, as water expands when it freezes.* 

However, no, it is not possible to use aquamandy to freeze water.  That is not "controlling" water, it's changing it.  You'll recall during David's Citizenship Exam, Joy used aquamandy to make the bridge, but David was the one who froze it solid, using a spell.

Eric Storm

* Okay, technically, it's possible to make ice that is even more dense than water, so contracts like everything else when it gets cold.  However, doing this in the context of the story would require a magical spell at least as difficult as what David was doing to try to pull off.

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#277 2017-07-04 18:58:01

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

Shadow lord, I guess, depending on how the "-mandy"s work, you could theoretically use pyromandy to pull all of the heat out of the water and that would also freeze the subject if aquamandy didn't allow it outright.  Since David is not of great strength but incredible finesse in them, I could see him being able to mix them together if necessary.  Also, it would require concentration, and even though he has demonstrated that in EM, he has shown it even more so in Conjuring.

#278 2017-07-04 21:54:01

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

"Pyromandy" and "thermomandy" are not the same thing.

Pyromandy controls fire, not heat.  The two terms are not synonymous, so no, pyromandy could not do what you suggest.  And, once again, making water into ice changes its shape, so would not be desirable under these circumstances.

David pioneered the technique he uses in this scene... don't know why anyone would think he wouldn't make use of it.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#279 2017-07-05 03:07:06

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

Eric, that is why I said it depends on how it works.  I assume pyromandy can extinguish a flame, the question is how does it do so?  If manipulating the magical energy affects it in a scientifically measurable way, then in theory the removal of heat could be that option.  It's your world, Eric.  I know that, I was just saying "if A, then B is possible."  You say it doesn't work that way, I am cool (see what I did there?) with it. 3dtongue

#280 2017-07-05 05:20:05

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The quickest way for fire to be extinguished is to remove its oxygen source.  So, most likely the magical energy simply surrounds the fuel source with an impermeable barrier that doesn't let in oxygen.

No, I'm not about to write a "Woodward Academy Technical Manual" to explain how magic works.  Go ask Michael Okuda.

3dtongue

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#281 2017-07-15 23:54:35

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, folks... need a little help.

Thanks to a gentle nudge by a reader, I have begun building a map of Dugerra.  This map is based off Google maps, so it will (unfortunately) have Earth city names in it, but Dugerran places will be superimposed over top of the map (which is 'faded', so that it isn't so intrusive as to make the map completely useless...)

What I need, before I release it, is to put all the mentioned places in the story on it.  Here's what I have on it so far:

* Country borders for all of Verisante (North America)
* The capital of each of five countries (Callamandia, Vrudena, Gtharsis, Mirelia, and Ograponte)
* Woodward Academy and Madchen Hall
* All six of the Mirelian temples
* Three of the prisons of Callamandia (Barnard Hill, NCCMF, and Chatsaw TC)
* The Sea of Light
* Nagyara Falls
* The following cities (in alphabetical order):
     Agnidence
     Bellamy
     Bolmont
     Burton
     Carston
     Connery
     Cormatsen
     Erle
     Gorumshead
     Littany
     Ramius
     Shovan
     Travaysal
     Treacle
     Winding River

What I need is any other place that needs to be marked.  I'd like to mark any Dugerran place that's been mentioned, no matter how briefly... but that means going back through the stories to find all of them.

So, here's a challenge for you speed-readers:  Find me any mention of any other Dugerran cities in Verisante, and then tell me book/chapter where it's found.

Or, if you just remember something not listed here, and you want to know where it is, let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#282 2017-07-16 00:49:11

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I'll add these to the post above, but for those who might have already read that one, I've just added:

Northern Callamandia Criminal Management Facility
Barnard Hill Penitentiary
Chatsaw Training Center (mentioned in the next chapter)

Nagyara Falls (as if anyone didn't know where that was...)

town of Littany (in the next chapter)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#283 2017-07-16 15:23:18

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Maybe the Lamias den.

#284 2017-07-16 17:59:54

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I hadn't thought of that one.  I'll see if I can figure out exactly where it is.  3dsmile  (Northeast of Travaysal somewhere... hehehe)

EDIT: Okay, done.  NEXT! 
3dsmile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#285 2017-07-22 17:00:44

fathertyme
Inebriated

you might add in the location of Travel Gates that you have mentioned throughout the series

#286 2017-07-22 17:22:35

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I really can't... they occur inside of cities.  I've mentioned travel gates in Gorumshead, Bolmont, Senesty, Nagyara, Cormatsen, Winding River, and two that I haven't given exact locations for in Dugerra, but exist in Houma, LA, and the fictitious Eureka, IL.

Since my cities are nothing more than dots on the map, I can't really "zoom in" to them and add more details.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#287 2017-07-23 05:40:29

fathertyme
Inebriated

yes and no... just like you have schools and cities occupying the same location, you could do the same with travel gates. simply another item at the same location.

You don't have the schools located on a "specific" spot, more just sharing the same location as a city (ok, I didn't try and ZOOM in to check, but... )

Not sure if google maps will allow enable/disable of overlays, but showing which towns have travel gates would be interesting...

just my thoughts.

Personally I probably wont use the map much. You asked what should be included, and my first thought was travel gates and where Davids homes were 3dtongue

#288 2017-07-23 07:09:33

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Actually, if you zoom in, the schools and the cities are, in fact, located in different locations.  Woodward Academy is about 2 miles from Gorumshead, and Madchen Hall is about 5 miles from Erle.

And I wouldn't expect that anyone would use it "a lot".  The person who could have gotten the most use out of it is me... but only if I'd been able to create it 7 books ago.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#289 2017-07-24 06:49:50

Sniper
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

The person who could have gotten the most use out of it is me... but only if I'd been able to create it 7 books ago.

Implying that there won't be seven more...we'll talk again after WAY14. ;-)

#290 2017-07-24 06:58:02

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Since I have no - repeat NO - plot ideas for a continuation after book 8, I'm pretty sure there will not be 7 more books.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#291 2017-07-24 07:41:28

fathertyme
Inebriated

Actually, once he graduates from year 8, you could write more books on his pursuit of justice. He could rise up through the ranks of justice and then move into politics after being convinced that it is where he can make the most difference. From what I've seen of David, he doesn't seem to have many selfish bones in his body, and I can't see him standing by while there are places he can help.

who knows.. the KING is not a hereditary title (IIRC)

To be fair tho, it wouldn't be WAY 9 if he left the school. Unless he started to teach there, which he doesn't seem very inclined to do.
so you could finish the WAY series and move on to the Dugaria Series or Dugaria Justice or who knows...

just throwing crap out at 1 am 3dtongue

-Fathertyme

#292 2017-07-24 17:18:22

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Name once that David has ever sought out a leadership role.  And David would never, ever be convinced that he can make "the most difference" as a politician.  He loathes bureaucracy, and that's pretty much what politics thrives on.

Oh, and the king is an elected position, elected for life.  So either David is automatically disqualified (as he has already lost his life), or he would be elected "in perpetuity", as his current life-status would never change.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#293 2017-07-25 05:09:59

fathertyme
Inebriated

He volunteered (once asked) to join DIRT, he accepted it when he was voted in as captain, and they were able to talk him into being the head of security. He also volunteered to be an intern for the Rimor's (sp??)

If suggested the right way, I think he would grudgingly accept more responsibility if he felt it was important enough. And yeah, we know how he feels about bureaucracy, but sometimes that could make him more effective in those positions... not willing to play the game, get the job done..

seems that those in charge already are letting him do what he damn well pleases within certain guidelines. Most definitely not the same guidelines that his more immediate supervisors (not counting Vivian or Joe) seem to want to follow.

I could see them promoting him to running an office, then a division, then he could be convinced to teach the new recruits how the job should be done. after that, chief of the rimors (or whatever the title is)

I can follow a logic chain that would guide him up the ladder even if he can't see; or doesn't want, the path right now. He has supporters who agree with his methods. And their agenda might push his along.

#294 2017-07-25 07:25:50

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You made my point for me when you said, "He volunteered (once asked)..." (emphasis added).  He did not, in fact, volunteer.  He agreed to do it when asked.  In the case of DIRT, he did so because he felt a duty to the school and the dean.  He accepted captaincy, once again, only when he was asked to.  He joined the Rimohrs as an intern... NOT a leadership role.

I asked you to name once that David had sought out a leadership position.  He has accepted them, when asked to fill that role.  He has never sought them out.  It's not even a false modesty wherein he hints around or backstabs people, waiting to be asked.  He usually is genuinely surprised that he is being asked to fill the role.  David is ultimately a person seeking to help others, not to boss people around.

And that desire to help others would keep him well out of politics and any large bureaucracy, where helping others doesn't even seem to be one of the primary goals of the operation.  As frustrated as he already is with the Rimohrs, I can see him putting his fist through some intransigent bureaucrat's face after having to deal with their passive-aggressive bullshit for a week or two.

David has already acceded to the fact that he might be Rimohr Commissioner "one day", some thirty or forty years after the end of the book series.  It is pretty much inevitable that if you do your job well, and you remain in the post, you will be promoted.  That's just reality.  Rimohr Commissioner isn't an elected job, like many police commissioners, but a career position.  Thus, given that David could conceivably remain in the agency for a thousand years (Not saying he's going to, just saying it's possible), sooner or later, he would end up as Commissioner.

Also, do be aware that a great deal of the leeway David is being given is because of the upcoming war with the weres.  The agency will have to run somewhat differently in an active combat zone, and David's way of doing things is a little more closely aligned with that 'sharper' enforcement style.  When peace once again descends on Callamandia (whenever that might happen...), it is quite possible that his methods will once again be seen as too harsh.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#295 2017-07-25 22:02:33

Centaur
Inebriated

i can't see David staying in the Rimohrs that long to be commissioner, A) he likes the field work too much b) the regulations are already grating on his nerves some what in book 6 that i've read.

i see David more inclined to a out side role of some sort. i can see him being a teacher/tutor for a time but not long term. i see David more as a consultant/trouble shooter or a private investigator. seems to solve mysterys pretty well and the ones he has problems with he keeps after them even harder.

#296 2017-07-26 01:09:29

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

I agree with Centaur, for the most part. I think David will end up being a consultant or some such to many many different people and organizations; Woodward, the king, The Potions Guild, the Peg Guild, the Rimohrs and he will probably pick up more as he goes on. He will be like one of these millionaires who live the life of a playboy most of the time but sits on a half dozen corporate boards and charity boards and such. I don't see David wanting to keep a full-time job of any kind. I think he would get bored or frustrated and storm out. By only going in when they NEED his help, that won't happen. Otherwise, he'll be at home, working on his potions and spanking Olissa. 3dsmile

#297 2017-07-26 05:58:38

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You folks actually see David as not wanting to hold down a job?

He's already explicitly stated that one thing he does NOT want to do is to spend his day at home living like a spoiled rich kid.

While I'm not about to reveal what he does end up doing, I find this kind of thinking - that he couldn't hold down a job - rather baffling.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#298 2017-07-26 06:44:23

Sniper
Inebriated

I would not say that David is not able to hold a job, it might be more of: Is the job able to hold David?

Currently there does not seem to be an existing job that will fit him long term. He is a natural leader, if he wants to or not. He will follow and uphold rules, but only if he thinks they are reasonable. He definitely is no pencil pusher. He needs diversity. David might end up as an adventurer with permanent ties to Woodward, the Rimohrs and the King, helping them and spending time with them frequently, but also travelling the world and discovering its secrets.

#299 2017-07-26 09:27:14

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

The problem is that David has too many career options... Potions Master traveling the world finding out what he could create for one.  Something related to Conjuring, although I'm not sure what exactly.  Divination is also a possibility.  Rhimor, full time for a while but maybe transitioning to an emergency or special case officer that works as a Rhimor on call.  Of course he's mentioned the option of Private Investigator (problem solver) both in Dugerra and Earth.  He could also teach any of the above.  He could possibly join the military and work his way up the ranks.  He also seems good at teaching even if he isn't as confident in his ability to do so or comfortable with the situation.

Lets also, not forget that being immortal, David can from time to time go back through the education system at least on earth.  Doctor David, then Engineer David, then Computer Guru, the possibilities are endless.

How do you tie someone like him down to a single career for all eternity?

Dugerran equivalent of 'The Equalizer' maybe?

Last edited by Barbarian3165 (2017-07-26 09:28:43)

#300 2017-07-26 17:37:07

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You like making my point for me, don't you, Barbarian?
3dsmile

One would consider a "career" in a field to last about 30 years.  Given the expanded lifespan of wizards, let's extend that even to 60 years.

But it wouldn't matter if you extended it to 1000 years.  David could still have an enormous number of careers in his lifetime.

Yes, it would be completely unreasonable for David to have just one job for all eternity.  After a few hundred years, there would be nothing in that job that he had not seen before, and it would become a dreadfully dull task, just drudgery.

Even exploring and such would eventually lose their luster.  Imagine this:  David is the world's finest explorer.  He can visit the bottom of the Marianas Trench without a submarine.  (He needs no air, and magic would surely protect him from the pressure).  But after doing that sort of thing for a few hundred years, it, too, would become very dull.

So, the question isn't "would David have just one job for his whole life?" The answer to that is quite obviously no.  No one would.  The question is actually, "Would David hold a career for similar lengths of time as normal wizards?"  The answer to that, I say, is, "sure, if it's a job he wants to do."

Eric Storm

PS:  I can very conclusively say there would never be a "Doctor David Stroud".  He would not wish to tie his hands in that fashion, when he can use healing magic which is faster, more likely to work, and has no nasty side effects.

----
Facebook page

Board footer