The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#251 2017-05-03 04:43:54

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 7, The

Thanks for the congratulations.  And thanks for letting me know.  I wasn't paying attention.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#252 2017-05-22 03:05:17

thebookster
Tipsy

I was disappointed that you never said what potions David invented to get Potions master level 1. The way you described the apprenticeship presentation, going through the potions one by one and explaining their effects, would've been a good addition to the level 1 presentation.
Only my opinion, obviously.

(posted from Chapter 1: June)

#253 2017-05-22 03:28:14

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Thank you for the feedback.  I gave some small consideration to detailing his potions, but I didn't do it for a few reasons.

First, it would have been repetitive, since I'd done it for his original mastery.  Also, it would have forced me to invent a whole other batch of potions that would then have had to be incorporated into the story somehow (the original ones have been, and readers would have expected the same of any I mentioned for his level 1 mastery)

As his potions mastery is not the focus of the story, and because it's not going to factor heavily in what happens from this point forward, I saw no reason to include unnecessary details.  Plus, the chapter was already nearly 13,000 words long... adding another 2,000 words to it for something that... essentially frivolous... seems unwise.

So, while I appreciate the interest in everything that goes on with David and in this world, I do have to draw the line somewhere.  This was one of those things that was on the other side of the line.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#254 2017-05-25 18:18:52

bigfoot
Wasted

Eric -

Has this story concluded or is there a reason for the extended break? There hasn't been an update in nearly three months.

#255 2017-05-25 20:04:49

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

bigfoot, you really should checkout the writing status section of the forums and read back through the last dozen posts, give or take a few.  Eric explains what has been going on in that section of the forums.  Anyway, if we are lucky we will get a new chapter on the first of this next month.

#256 2017-05-26 22:16:12

bigfoot
Wasted

Got it. Apologies. I assumed it would be somewhere under the heading "Writing Status". Took me a few minutes to find.

Eric - My question was born out of my enjoyment of this series and my desire to read more. I told you before, take your time and do it right. We'll wait.

#257 2017-06-01 06:29:27

Timberwolf92
Inebriated

Another great chapter Eric. The increase in attention to "the Clan" problem was thrilling.

(posted from Chapter 4: September)

#258 2017-06-01 06:36:13

nadleeh
Tipsy

Almost forgot how good this was. Excellent work

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#259 2017-06-01 08:08:17

zipybug14
Inebriated

Worth the wait Eric.  Well done, and good luck at writing chapter 5!

#260 2017-06-01 10:28:05

StoryJunkie
Wasted

I can't say I'm glad that things happened to slow this story down, but I will say that the delay was mitigated by this chapter....Great chapter Eric, lots of new stuff going on and lots of action...

#261 2017-06-02 17:50:50

runesfuer
Inebriated

Well worth the wait

IMPERATOR PRIMUM, DEINDE IMPERIO! VIVIMUS POENAS ETIAM SIC ESSE TUUS! [First for the Emperor, then for the Imperium. Our Lives are Forfeit, so should Yours be as well!]

#262 2017-06-02 19:21:53

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Great chapter. So many things happening in this chapter. Had been waiting for Beckel's to show back up.

#263 2017-06-08 00:40:16

Maverick7508
Inebriated

This was definitely worth it for this. So much progression with minor and major stories and no rushed feeling. If it wasn't for the sex in the story, this would probably be publishable. I know that I have no professional reference for that, but that is my reaction when reading it and part of why i find these stories nearly addicting.

#264 2017-06-08 06:41:24

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not trying to blow my own horn, but I know that the quality of my writing is "publishable".  This isn't so much because I'm so good a writer, as that I've seen published books by writers who are much worse than I am.  But getting published is about more than just being able to write.  You also have to be able to promote yourself, first to an agent, then a publisher, then to the readers... and I have a real problem with doing that in person.  This is one of the reasons I'm fairly content to stay behind this little box that makes the pretty pictures.  Sure, I'd appreciate a bigger income, but I wouldn't appreciate the level of stress and anxiety getting it would cause in me.

Thanks again,
Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#265 2017-06-08 08:16:34

Sniper
Inebriated

Hey Eric,

ever thought about using something like https://www.smashwords.com? As an indie author this could be a place to start without going through all the traditional crap. Once you have successfully taken the first step, you can think about how to proceed. They also have quite a bit of erotica (https://www.smashwords.com/books/category/1017).

Take care.

#266 2017-06-08 17:40:21

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I have thought about them before, and looking through their ToS, they've become clearer about what is and isn't acceptable, which is helpful.

There are two basic reasons I haven't used Smashwords (or any service like it):

1.  The ONLY novels of mine that qualify for publication are those in the Woodward series.  ALL of my other novels contain underage characters in sexual situations.  This is completely verboten on Smashwords (and everywhere else, because, you know, children are dying from us authors writing fiction about stuff...  What?  They're not?  Then what the fuck...?)

2.  I find myself unable to rationalize charging some people for content that others are getting for free.  (PRM is different: the donors are getting the story early.  They do not have to pay to read the story, only to read it first.)  Let's say I charged... $3.99 for each Woodward novel (just making up a number, no idea what I'd actually charge).  Why should anyone pay that, when they can come here and get it free?  Now, I realize that lots of people do not know about "here".  That doesn't really help my ethical quandary.  If I advertised more (and by more, I mean "at all"...), they would.

There is, of course, another issue to be considered, though it's not completely stopping me, like the other issues do.  Smashwords reports income to the IRS.  I haven't had need to file a tax return since the mid-90's.  Sufficient book sales could actually require me to - ICK! - Pay Taxes!
3dyikes

3dsmile

In any case, I'm sure I'd have to file a tax return.  Yuck.  Also, I cannot be absolutely certain how such a thing would be interpreted by the Social Security Administration as far as "Substantial Gainful Activity" goes.  (That's their term for "income from work".)

What I'd really like to know is how Smashwords gets away with it.  They are selling adult material.  PayPal's ToS states explicitly that the service cannot be used to sell adult material.  Smashwords' payment processor is PayPal.  So... WTF?

In any case, thank you for trying to encourage me.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#267 2017-07-01 04:48:07

Maverick7508
Inebriated

I can understand where your coming from there. I have enjoyed these stories ever since reading some of your stories that were in a torrent about 6 years ago. after reading them I looked up your pen name and found the pub and the woodward series. The references and jokes that you manage to slip in are hilarious, and this series shows a culmination I think of the work you did through all of your other stories. It's all the little efforts that lead to the ones that matter.

Thank you for writing so many enjoyable stories and hosting authors to do the same, and may your creativity and imagination for new stories never wane.

#268 2017-07-02 04:30:34

StoryJunkie
Wasted

Things seem to be getting more and more convoluted as time goes past, don't get me wrong, I love the way the story is going....but I can already tell that when the final chapter of the series is done (the final chapter in year eight) I'm gonna want more. Great chapter Eric...as usual 3dsmile

(posted from Chapter 5: October)

#269 2017-07-02 05:16:07

Shaggy18
Inebriated

another great chapter. I loved how he kept putting McKenna in his place that was great. 'Lisa Hayes' and 'Rick Hunter' these are my favorite character names so far; loved the Robotech reference!

#270 2017-07-02 14:41:39

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

Why am I not surprised that a vampire likes to give her man oral?

#271 2017-07-02 16:59:26

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

...do be careful you're not confusing Lydia and Christa...  While I do think that Lydia gave him oral during their scene, it's Christa who's given him two blowjobs with no other sexual activity... and Christa's not a vampire...

If you're clear on all that... then it's probably because vampires like sucking things out of people.  3dangel

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#272 2017-07-02 23:35:44

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

Believe me Eric, I knew I was talking about Lydia.  She was the one in the chapter that "I love doing this." and then dropped to her knees and fellated him.

#273 2017-07-03 00:46:00

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Just making sure...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#274 2017-07-03 01:44:17

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Great chapter. Bursted out laughting at shop scene with "dragon penis".

#275 2017-07-04 02:53:13

shadowlord
Inebriated

I can't remember if it's possible to use aquamandy to freeze water into ice.  If it is, then, when David's making his water bust, does it make sense to freeze the bust rather than magicly holding it solid while the plaster is hardening?  ...kind of a "pre-fabbed ice sculpture"?  Sometimes, freezing distorts the water's shape as it freezes, so, maybe that wouldn't work...

(posted from Chapter 3: August)

Board footer