The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-17 00:23:33

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Serious business issue

Okay, as I'm sure many, if not most, of you are aware, I'm incapable of holding a "normal" job, due to my eye condition and my health.  Having said that, I also cannot find an "abnormal" job that can be done from home that I am capable of doing.

Yes, I need money.  Who doesn't?

So, here is the thing: how to get money, when I own a website.

Now, before anyone panics:  I will never charge for the stories or contributor artwork on this site.  If finances ever got so tight as that, I would close the site before charging for the main content.

Having said that...
What other content / services would you like to see here that you would pay for?  And how much would you pay for them?

I really don't want to screw anyone.  As I said, I won't charge for the stories, and I won't charge for the artwork that's contributed.  But I am at a point where money is an issue, and it is stressing the fuck out of me... which is why I'm not getting any writing done, because I'm way too overstressed by Real Life (TM pending...) to allow myself to create. 

So, no threats, no cajoling, no pleading or whining.  Just a question:  What content could I provide here that you'd actually be willing to put bucks down for?

Thanks for your time,
Net Wolf

(Oh, if you happen to know some job - not "home business", but job - I can do at home, let me know privately.)

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2007-01-17 01:10:32

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Re: Serious business issue

I don't know how your web space works but is there a chance you could sublet excess space you are not using for the site?

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#3 2007-01-17 02:13:11

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I'm not sure if I can or not, but given the exceedingly cheap price for space on GoDaddy, why the hell would anyone pay ME?

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2007-01-17 12:19:23

spuppy
Tipsy

Net Wolf wrote:

I'm not sure if I can or not, but given the exceedingly cheap price for space on GoDaddy, why the hell would anyone pay ME?

Net Wolf

Net Wolf,

What about doing website design, hosting and maintenance for local businesses? As in most small local businesses do not need large elaborate sites but do need a web presence so that other people can find them when they search the net.

Take care and good luck
Spuppy

#5 2007-01-20 19:27:59

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

spuppy:

And how do you expect me to get clients?  What you're suggesting either requires getting out to meet with them (if I could do that, I could hold a regular job), or sending out some kind of advertising (which costs money that I don't have.)

I would like to start putting some products together on CafePress, but I'm short on ideas for the designs.  If anyone has any ideas of stuff they'd love to have, let me know.  (Obviously, I can't do anything that I don't own the copyright to, so don't ask for a mug with Garfield on it, okay?)

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#6 2007-01-21 01:15:34

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Craigslist has a section for freelance graphics work theres a listing at least once a day for web design in my area.
also iv'e seen people offer design services through ebay you could also post on Dice

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#7 2007-01-21 05:39:36

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Unfortunately, I'm not proficient enough in any of those areas to compete with people who have degrees and certificates.  My graphic skills are decent, but not professional-quality without a LOT of work (meaning I spend way more time than any pro would need to, to achieve the same result.)

I've already considered web design, web programming, and graphic design.  The problem in all cases is that I am completely self-taught, which means I'm inefficient, and there are massive gaps in my knowledge.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

Board footer