The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-15 08:24:11

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Stuck on a name

I came up with a cool concept for a super hero but i can't come up w a name that isn't already taken i would appreciate suggestions

The character

Raised by his grandfather the world famous magician Anton the Magnificent Anton Gray III at the age of 13 developed the power of illusion combined with his grandfather training him as a stage and close up magician Anton was often spoken of in the same sentence as Houdini blackstone and his grandfather.

After his grandfathers death Anton discovers the a book titled Grimore (book of shadows). this book contained spells and incantations that would give the caster power over the very shadows. now using a combination of mutant powers magicians tricks and real magic he works to awaken the long sleeping magic in the world and fight against mans inhumanity to man as....

and that where im stuck
Shadow
Phantom
The Magician

all would work but are taken

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#2 2007-01-15 10:21:31

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Re: Stuck on a name

Well, first thing I thought of was a sun dial. Not a great name though. Looked it up to see if there was another good synonym. DIdn't find one. So, I looked up shadow. Came up with an interesting one "Vestige."

Vestige: a tiny often physical indication of something lost or vanished

You could also do something along the lines of "Sunrise" which is when this guys powers would be at their strongest because there are less shadows at night than in the day.

Or maybe "Eclipse," all a Solar eclipse is, is the moon casting a shadow on to the Earth by moving in front of the sun. Of those I've listed, I like this one best.

#3 2007-01-15 16:24:49

SlaveMaster
Wasted

how does Artimus sound for a super hero name.

Welcome to The Mystic Wolf Pub

#4 2007-01-15 17:27:38

Imagineer
Wasted

IMHO, pretty much everything that doesn't completely suck (and much that does) has been "taken." Comic book creators have been churning at this for eighty years. Unless you're seriously going after publication, I'd say stay away from the majors but otherwise don't worry about digging for something that's never been used.

Shadow and Phantom are what I'd consider major (movies, ya know); there's a Magician that appeared for a few issues of Ultimate X-Men, but if it were me I'd use The Magician anyway. Especially if his identity or origin is known (i.e. no secret identity), I think this would be the name the press would be most likely to coin for him.

My first thought for other names was the obvious Shadowmaster. (Marvel has Shadowmasters, ninja half-demons, but they look pretty obscure.)

You might consider putting off the name until you've fashioned a few plots for him and worked out ways that he'd apply his powers to the practical business of fighting evil. That may suggest a more appropriate name and even an interesting way to give it to him.

Vestige is a really good name, but I'd tuck that one away and use it for another character. There's a connection between vestige and shadow, but vestige to me is more about some trace left behind; I'd use it with a character whose traits are closer to the word.

#5 2007-01-15 21:52:29

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Playing off the word "magician", you could try
The Conjuror  (or Conjurer, either spelling is acceptable...), or
The Illusionist

Playing off the word "phantom" and "shadow", there is
Shade
Specter
Wraith

Maybe you should just call him Bob.  3dsmile
Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#6 2007-01-16 11:07:36

dv8n
Wasted

Hey Neitherspace...this is a name I like but it isn't exclusively shadows or magic..." Darque" pronounced "Dark"

..or if you have a name picked out and you don't care if it's a secret you could make it " ______ of the Shadows"

..or maybe The Shadow Lord
...I wouldn't go anything Illusionist IF you want people to not know what he creates isn't real  most "illusions" are illusions because they are perceived not really real   3dbig_smile

...you could go with just an overall title...like "The Creator"  or "The Miracle" or maybe like Net said "The Shade"
...maybe something long winded " The Lord of the Recently Unperceived"  that sounds like he'll open eyes  3dbig_smile

..."Master of the Unknown"  shorten it to Master..hehehe then everybody has to call him Master  3dsmile

....How about "The Bender"  as in the Bender of reality...most people against him would be trown off thinking  "What's he gonna do the splits?  I got a gun, I ain't scared of no acrobats."  So they would naturally underestimate the character which would be good for him..

Last edited by dv8n (2007-01-16 12:17:06)

:lol:

#7 2007-01-16 13:08:22

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

not a bad list DV most of yours sound like villans also theres a Dr Darque and a the miracle

Honistly The Visage is my favorite so far

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#8 2007-01-16 13:40:16

dv8n
Wasted

heheheh villians huh?

well sometimes the best good guy is a good bad guy  3dsmile

hhmmm Visage...when I think Visage...it makes me think of face..are you doing anything to his face?  like freaky scary effects or something...cause that would be a cool thing to go with a magic using shadow controlling "good" guy  3dbig_smile  maybe a phantom shull floating just in front of his face as a mask...caused of course by him or something he made that activates when he dons it....

maybe a "phantom" demon face twisted in whatever emotion he's feeling at the time.....when he's happy it has a huge salivating grin...when angry it keeps trying to leap out and bite at the person he's mad at...when just generally upset it just goes all crazy looking and spits fireballs at people.... 3dbig_smile  ok maybe a bit much but you get the idea

Last edited by dv8n (2007-01-16 13:42:17)

#9 2007-01-17 06:42:48

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

uses his powers to clod his face in sadows and make his eyes glow

the changing thing isn't a bad idea though

i missed the bender the first time through

suddenly Shadow Bender springs to mind...I'll sleep on it.

Last edited by Neitherspace (2007-01-17 06:46:03)

#10 2007-01-17 18:00:54

dv8n
Wasted

if I could help I'm glad...I'll keep thinking on it...Shadow Bender sounds cool

You said learned magic?  all magic? just illusions? you already said shadows but there many other things that can be used for illusions besides shadows, that can be added to the shadow magic even if he specializes in shadow working. Now add other types of magic to that ( like enchanting: making magic items, divining: seeing the future or other places through scrying, Conjuring/Summoning: creating or transporting specific items or creatures to where he wants them, Warding/Protection: casting spells that will protect him and others from all kinds of stuff magical and mundane...just as an idea)  BUT that said if he is an illusionist that specializes in manipulating shadows, you could still bring in characters like the ones mentioned as companions or enemies 3dsmile    just some thoughts

#11 2007-01-21 01:25:13

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Net Wolf wrote:

Maybe you should just call him Bob.  3dsmile
Net Wolf

Only if his power was to "be there too" (find the webcomic casy and andy if you don't get that joke)

To answer dv8n question
HIs mutant powers alow him to create illusions by warping light and sound (whichj he eventually figures out how to use as an attack).

As for his magic the best desription is Raven from teen titans but instead of projecting his soul(yea thats what the blackness is that she uses) he uses the shadows(and later smoke) around him, he can form it into shapes make goulims from it and travel with it.

Also thanks to a bit of spell work he is quasi-intangible when he is in uniform, Meaning any mundane attacks that are thrown at him pass through him like he's made of smoke/shadow

I thinks thats everything except I should mention he is not the strongest mage he is infact the weakest even after defeating the mage of smoke.

His primary goal is to unlock the great seal(it's the single greatest piece of magic in the realms that suround earth it suppresses the magical talent of all but the strongest magic users)

Jefferson you hads som good ones and gave me a couple ideas(Eclips is taken hes a villian)

Heres the list of ones i like so far
Twilight(sunrise gave me the idea for this one)
Shadow Bender
Vistage

Last edited by Neitherspace (2007-01-21 01:31:32)

#12 2007-01-21 03:20:46

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Neitherspace wrote:

HIs mutant powers alow him to create illusions by warping light and sound (whichj he eventually figures out how to use as an attack).

If he can warp light I wonder if he could actually concentrate the light to a focal point like using a magnifying glass or an ambient light laser?  Neither of these would be very effective at night of course, but on a bright sunny day; if he could concentrate enough light, it could be pretty potent as a weapon.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#13 2007-01-21 07:59:33

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Not to talk you out of a name or anything. When I first read this topic, I was under impression that his shadow powers were seperate from his magic.

If his shadow power IS his magic, why not go with the obvious... Shadow Mage?

#14 2007-01-21 21:02:13

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

cause its lame...and he gets other powers later

#15 2007-01-21 21:03:16

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Storymaster69 wrote:

Neitherspace wrote:

If he can warp light I wonder if he could actually concentrate the light to a focal point like using a magnifying glass or an ambient light laser?  Neither of these would be very effective at night of course, but on a bright sunny day; if he could concentrate enough light, it could be pretty potent as a weapon.

yea i know(evil grin)

#16 2007-01-22 07:46:52

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Neitherspace wrote:

cause its lame...and he gets other powers later

LAME?? LAME???

Well, okay, maybe a little.

#17 2007-01-22 20:43:11

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

ok to be fair that was one of the first ones i thought of but i discarded it cause i thought it was lame

heh how bout 1337 m4g3 0f d3 2h4d0w2 ok that may be funnier to me than anyone reading this thread... oh weel never stopped me before

#18 2007-01-22 21:00:22

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

*Picks up several volumes of the Oxford English Dictionary, unabridged version, and slams them upside Neitherspace's head repeatedly for soiling this site with that crap.*

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#19 2007-01-23 01:29:53

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Sorry I couldn't help myself

#20 2007-01-24 21:32:29

dv8n
Wasted

okay what was the 1337 thing?  I don't get it...I understood mage of de shadows? I think  but 1337 I don't get

#21 2007-01-24 23:29:57

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Id would explain but this is easyer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

#22 2007-01-24 23:46:42

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yes, by all means, keep any discussion of this CRAP off this forum.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#23 2007-01-25 04:01:49

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Ok (i can't beleave its 20+ years old)

#24 2007-01-25 19:31:04

dv8n
Wasted

hahahahah...ok
I sorta get it now  3dbig_smile

I'll be damn, I never knew...20+ years huh?

#25 2007-01-26 04:25:36

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

ok no more talk of that or net will lock the thread

Board footer