The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#151 2016-05-04 06:05:59

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 6, The

The thing is that Eric has already stated that in the case of normal bodily movements, magic is taking the place of blood at this point.  By definition, without blood to carry oxygen to his muscles, they should not work, but they do.  Magic is supplanting the need for blood and most other bodily requirements that allow David to function as a humanoid.

#152 2016-05-04 06:49:47

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

To elaborate on FR's point:

David's body is capable of doing those things it is necessary for David's body to do.  These issues are handled magically.  Sexual activity is a necessary human activity for psychological well-being.  Thus, he is magically capable of doing the things necessary for sexual activity.

Enjoying food is, likewise, necessary for psychological well-being, which is why his body can process food at all, despite not having a use for it.

His body produces sweat.  Why?  Because a machine in motion (and the body is a machine) produces heat, and sweat is the mechanism by which the human machine gets rid of excess heat.  HOW does he produce sweat?  Magically.  Without blood flow, he obviously should not be able to do so, but he does.

Blushing isn't really psychologically necessary.  It's a symptom, rather than an activity.  Being non-essential, his body doesn't magically make his face redden.  Likewise, he has no real NEED to be 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit, so his body temperature is not magically regulated (unless he casts a charm, that is...)

(btw, think eating isn't a psychologically necessary activity?  Consider spending the next ten years surrounded by food and people eating food, but you being unable to partake of any of it.  You'd smell it, see it, remember what it tastes like... but not be able to eat it.  See how quickly it drives you around the bend.  Now imagine doing that for a billion years, instead of ten.  Similarly with sex, especially since David ended his "life" as a teenager, and would continue to look like one forever.  Anyone he ran into would expect that he was sexually active.  Girls who found him attractive would hit on him.  Again, he would be assaulted by the reminders of this activity, and remember how enjoyable it was... but be unable to actually have sex?  It wouldn't be a good thing.)

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#153 2016-05-04 14:42:46

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

Now, I do have a question based on your parenthetical statement at the end of your post, Eric.  You mentioned David becoming a demighost as a late teen.  Would he continue to mature, magically, if he were "turned" as a child or would he stay a "child" forever or would the magic (as it does seem to have SOME level of self-direction) choos NOT to turn a child due to the cruelty of being locked as a child fr eternity?

#154 2016-05-04 16:40:11

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Cruelty being locked as a child... as opposed to the cruelty of being locked as a teen, adult, or senior for billions of years?

Demighosts cannot change form.  Period.  It is conceivable that a Baby Huey situation could, in fact, occur, though, given what we know of how demighosts seem to most often come about, it seems highly unlikely.

Given the existence in Dugerra of dwarves and gnomes, magic certainly wouldn't consider being short to be all that cruel.  I would have to give serious consideration, though, to whether such a person would be able to have an erection, ever.  (Why?  Never having gone through puberty, they wouldn't have yet developed the sense of sexuality, thus sex would not, in fact, be a psychological imperative for them.)

Needless to say, I'm probably not going to be writing about 7yo demighosts getting laid, anyway. 

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#155 2016-05-04 21:26:34

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

I understand, I was more alluding to the cruelty of being a child physically while intellectual and emotional maturity are a function of time and experience.  A child may not ever develop sexually from a physical standpoint (though boys can achieve erections and often do before maturing sexually the erections just aren't sexual in nature) and with magic taking over their bodily requirements it poses the question, does the magic simulate the maturation process of hormones or is the child forever to do without physical or hormonal drive for sexual satisfaction?  As time wore on the person would mature intellectually and emotionally and it MIGHT cause major psychological problems knowing that at least one facet of life (other than death) is forever denied them.

This is just a random thought process.  If you feel you have answered adequately already, feel free to leave this ne alone.

Last edited by Fenixreign (2016-05-04 21:27:40)

#156 2016-05-05 05:33:11

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

While it might cause some distress, I don't think that distress would be much more than that caused by the lack of death.  Not having experienced something, it is very hard to miss it, even if you know you're supposed to have it.

As an example, I am legally blind.  My vision is 20/200 in both eyes, with corrective lenses.  I know, intellectually, that I am missing something: good sight.  However, I was born legally blind.  I cannot even properly imagine what "perfect vision" looks like.  It is, therefore, very hard for me to miss it.  Oh, yes, there are some things where I get frustrated because I know that "sighted" people can do them much more easily than I can, but that isn't the same thing.

I imagine that the absence of a sexually mature body would be much the same.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#157 2016-05-07 04:54:29

Dolez
Tipsy

I would like suggest correction if I`m right.
I writed the section in BIG ALPHABETS.
I would sugeest it would be better to be: But shit, that did feel good.

copied section almost at the end of the chapter 2 July.I didn`t write more specific because it could have been little spoiler.

"I'd really like you to do that again, but I don't dare. It's been too long since I've done anal, and I worry about hurting myself. But shit, DID THAT FEEL GOOD."

(posted from Chapter 2: July)

#158 2016-05-07 07:10:10

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

No, you're not correct. Nor are you incorrect, as such.  The expression as written is a very common construction in American English.  The way you are suggesting is valid, grammatically, but actually carries a lesser degree of emphasis.  In other words, saying it the way you recommend actually suggests she enjoyed it somewhat less than the way it's currently written does.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#159 2016-05-09 02:42:24

riun
Inebriated

Rescue25 wrote:

Unfortunately for those of us reading/following this excellent series we have to wait a month for the next installment.  Most of us read faster than a good writer can write.

(posted from Chapter 1: June)

LOL Rescue25 don't make me copy right my quote 3dtongue

Now thats over with I have a question for Eric about the MacGuffin amulet that has now spanned five an a half books ( Now that's a far reaching story arc ). Does the said MacGuffin have anything to do with the weres?

"The curse of a reader is reading faster than the author can write (or post)."

#160 2016-05-09 03:01:30

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

To paraphrase Eric:  Riun, if he wanted you to know that stuff yet, it would already be in the story.

;P

#161 2016-05-09 04:30:52

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

FR, you're learning!  3dbig_smile

Actual answer to question:  Keep reading, and find out. 

3dtongue

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#162 2016-05-09 04:41:42

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

And, for future reference:  Whenever it is abundantly obvious that I have intentionally not told the reader something, the chances I'm going to tell you in this forum are somewhere between a snowball's chance in hell, and a sub sandwich's chance of surviving an encounter with me.

(ie, virtually none.)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#163 2016-05-09 15:30:51

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

The sammich is DEFINITELY one of man's greatest inventions.  In fact as far as greatest developments in human history, I would probably rank sammiches up there with FIRE and THE WHEEL.

Last edited by Fenixreign (2016-05-11 15:57:55)

#164 2016-05-11 02:34:22

JJ Richards
Inebriated

As I thought, it had to be magically controlled bodily functions. It makes lots of sense for the "physiological need" as you explained it, Eric.  Thanks!

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#165 2016-05-21 16:52:44

codemonk3
Tipsy

I'm very much late to this party, but wanted to say that I binged through the entire Woodward Academy series through to the current chapter of year 6. Very, very strong work! Enjoyed it tremendously.

Can anyone give me an idea of roughly what the release schedule is for new chapters? How often should I come check for my next fix? 3dsmile

#166 2016-05-21 17:29:19

Gelvalst
Inebriated

Eric posts on the first of the month.  Usually pretty early in the morning, though there is no guarantee of that.

#167 2016-05-21 21:51:39

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

Yeah, codemonk3.  You can be just like a lot of us, sitting at our computers at midnight eastern time, constantly refreshing the page hoping Eric has graced us with the next chapter.  Then, if he is feeling generous, we get it by 1am.  Normally it's available by 3am, but every once in a while he doesn't get it posted until mid- to late evening.  Those months are almost tortuous, but he tries not to let that happen.

#168 2016-05-21 22:42:48

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Hey!  I haven't posted later than 5am ET in a couple years!

Occasionally I forget it's the last day of the month, and so I have to do my final proofread before posting, and that can take an hour or two.

But yes, the posting schedule for Woodward is the first of every month.  It also transits from PRM to public on the first.  Other stories that get put on a posting schedule (if there should ever be any) will be posted in the middle of the month, to spread out the literary goodness.
3dsmile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#169 2016-05-22 04:49:14

codemonk3
Tipsy

Thanks for the quick replies, gents.

Eric -- didn't realize you'd be keeping such a close eye on the thread. Really impressive work!

#170 2016-05-22 06:00:21

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I own and run this site.  I read every post.  I visit the site several times a day to check on things.  Reading comments from my readers is one of the better parts of my day, so...

Glad you're enjoying the stories.

Thanks for the feedback.
Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#171 2016-05-25 23:11:05

riun
Inebriated

Ive edited this 11 times and its still no good.

Last edited by riun (2016-05-26 00:40:52)

#172 2016-05-26 00:16:11

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, now Google the word "forgot".  It matters not in the slightest which calendar you're using if you don't remember the date.  I don't work for a living, and one day is very much like the last.  The only time the date is even mildly important to me is if I have an appointment.

Hell, I've been known to forget which day of the week it is.

Regards,
Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#173 2016-05-26 00:34:14

riun
Inebriated

I was only trying to to tease ya Eric. Hell I'm still having to correct a check or two after writing 2015.

#174 2016-05-27 18:08:36

Pudding5
Inebriated

I have returned to ask a pointless question. Just to satisfy my curiosity.
As I was getting my haircut the other day I was wondering what would happen if David attempted to have his appearance altered through physical means? We know magical attempts to do this cause him to be ghosted, but would regular scissors be able to do the job?
Would they fail to cut the hair, would the hair be cut but immediately regrow, would he be ghosted?
We know physical knives can cut a demighost's skin, as demonstrated at David's Potion ceremony with Edward. But is that different from an appearance change?
And if he can get a haircut in this way how far could you go with that knowledge? Could he get plastic surgery to completely change his looks (not that David seems like the type to desire that sort of change)?

#175 2016-05-29 04:56:47

fathertyme
Inebriated

really?!?!? 

you are going with...

how much hair could david get cut if david's hair could be cut?

of course the answer is obvious...

David could cut as much hair as david could cut if david's hair could be cut!

Board footer