The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#126 2016-04-27 16:51:49

Dolez
Tipsy

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 6, The

Thank you Eric to confim his study, I got the question because there haven`t been note of the in this book.
I myself don`t know where I got DET, but yes I meant DS.
What I have read and remember on series there aren`t concept of "battle" mage. I would like to know is there and where can become one if possible.
On side note: I like where MC gets stronger and its your story and I like it very much how it has been.

#127 2016-04-28 01:17:50

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

A "battle mage" would be any wizard trained in combat.  You know, like, say, one who'd taken a Sword and Staff class.

David has been demonstrating combat magic to us from year one.  There is no special school or class to go to for "battle magic".  Pretty much any hex can be used as part of fighting tactics.  Those interested in becoming warrior mages would join the Callamandian military, to be trained in combat tactics, but there would be little new magic taught.  Most wizards interested in that sort of thing would already know the magic they needed.

There is a basic premise in a lot of these "sword and sorcery" stories that somehow there is special magic that applies to fighting.  My personal feeling is that this concept is flawed, at least, if not outright failed.  Sure, there are some hexes that lend themselves only to combat (a killing hex comes to mind), but for the most part, a hex is a hex is a hex, and in the midst of battle, you use whatever magic you know you can execute properly to take your opponent out.  Virtually every wizard in the military would be weapons trained, and their combat tactics would reflect that.  Wizard combat would, generally, follow a "distract and dispatch" model:  Distract your opponent using magic, and then dispatch him using your weapon.  If you can manage to disarm or disable him with the magic, then great, but remember, you're fighting someone else who also has magic, and so you can't rely on your spell being stronger than his protections.  Unless your battle is one-on-one, you don't have time for a lengthy back-and-forth of spells: you need to take him out just as fast as you can manage.

So, you want to see a battle mage?  Look at the main character.  He's been training for combat from the very beginning.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#128 2016-04-28 06:00:44

IBSwimmin
Inebriated

I can't believe I just considered this now... When David had the dream near the start of CH. 4 and he doesn't know what his dream is about, why doesn't he use the dream catcher again to find out?

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#129 2016-04-28 06:57:58

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Because he doesn't want to know what his dream is about.  He just wants it to go away.

Delving deeper into this nightmare is the very last thing he wants to do.  Yes, logically, knowing what the dream is trying to tell him might make it leave, but on the other hand, it means consciously putting himself back in that situation, and doing so not once, but three times: once to dream it, once to relive the dream in trance, and then a final time to interpret the dream.  And there is no guarantee that knowing what it's all about would, in fact, make it stop.  Given that, he's not motivated to "investigate" this dream.  Especially knowing that the dream catcher will intensify the dream as he's dreaming it.

In short, he is emotionally unwilling to face the situation head-on.  If he was willing to do that, he probably wouldn't be having this kind of nightmare about it in the first place.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#130 2016-04-30 04:01:16

riun
Inebriated

Okay lets go back a page or two. Where Eric stated that familiars ( Not including speaking birds ) not being able to speak vocally. But does this expanded to dragons as well?

PS  As a odd factoid Eurasian Magpie's have been know to mimic human speech.    3dtongue

Last edited by riun (2016-04-30 04:19:47)

"The curse of a reader is reading faster than the author can write (or post)."

#131 2016-04-30 06:43:07

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Dragons can speak vocally when they are adults.

Bisperion is not an adult.

(Yes, I knew where you were going with that question.)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#132 2016-05-01 04:42:41

IBSwimmin
Inebriated

Ok. Never thought of it from the standpoint of just wanting it to go away - was thinking more of him wanting to know why the people from the board of discipline were showing up in it.

#133 2016-05-01 04:55:19

riun
Inebriated

Okay I know that I don't gain anything lurking here waiting for the next chapter to be posted but I can't help my self. I'm beholden to Eric's brilliance.

#134 2016-05-01 05:31:35

fathertyme
Inebriated

The key to successfully lurking is to NOT post about how you are lurking... You just sit quietly and refresh every 15 minutes 3dtongue

Not that I am lurking

I wouldn't do that...

what tyme is it?

I mean...

*sigh*

#135 2016-05-01 07:02:13

StoryJunkie
Wasted

Well, OK....I guess my asking about help from the earth agencies (already explained before I read this chapter by Eric) meant nothing heh...I really like the way the story is progressing as a whole, and things are getting more interesting as it goes. Can't wait for next month's chapter.

(posted from Chapter 5: October)

Last edited by StoryJunkie (2016-05-01 07:03:54)

#136 2016-05-01 07:04:40

riun
Inebriated

Read and now its time for bed. Nice chapter Eric. I love the Forensic Files mention. Its a shame that all the separators are broken ( Silly 404 error ).

Last edited by riun (2016-05-01 07:06:26)

#137 2016-05-01 07:05:39

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The separators have been fixed.  And they weren't "broken".  It told you what separator it was... it just didn't show you the pretty picture.
3dtongue

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#138 2016-05-01 07:08:51

riun
Inebriated

LOL Your still up go to bed you've earned it.

#139 2016-05-01 16:52:20

fathertyme
Inebriated

good stuff!

I really liked the interaction with outside agencies in this episode,
as well as putting a cap on last years issue

But why do I get a sneaky suspicion that we haven't seen the last of The Clan?!?!?!

You keep writing, I'll keep reading

-tyme

#140 2016-05-01 17:19:41

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Probably because you haven't.
3dwink

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#141 2016-05-02 01:41:14

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

SPOILER:

Personally, I am waiting for the dead bodies to be associated with a ritual by the Werewolf mages to bring down defenses or open a giant portal for an invasion.

#142 2016-05-02 03:34:24

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I don't know whether to respond to that or not.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#143 2016-05-02 19:09:07

Rescue25
Wasted

Unfortunately for those of us reading/following this excellent series we have to wait a month for the next installment.  Most of us read faster than a good writer can write.

(posted from Chapter 1: June)

#144 2016-05-03 04:35:58

M8jsX7mc7kSZ
Inebriated

Hey, congrats on getting a Silver Clit in the
Best Erotic Fantasy Story 2015 category with "The Woodward Academy, Year 4" ( https://clitoridesawards.org/archives/2015 )

#145 2016-05-03 06:16:53

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

First, thank you.

Second, and I point this out just to prevent confusion:  It was a Golden Clit, not a Silver.  (The silver is a wholly different, monthly, award.)  And I didn't actually win, I came in second.  Still not bad, especially for someone who wasn't even paying attention... 

Thank you to everyone who voted for me.
Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#146 2016-05-03 06:35:39

M8jsX7mc7kSZ
Inebriated

Oh, sorry, ok. 2nd place for a Golden Clit then. Actually, I knew the difference before. But the post (somewhere else by someone else) that got me to look at the list of winners in the first place refered to someone getting a 2nd place as getting a silver clit, so by the time I made the post here, I had the gold is 1st, silver is 2nd, bronze is 3rd thing stuck in my head.

#147 2016-05-03 16:43:17

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

*nods*

There was a time when the Clitorides meant something, but the Internet was different back then.  I won a Silver Clit at one point, I think... and I won a Gold Clit for CAMP as "Classic" erotica (Classic in this sense meaning "not posted this year").  Nowadays, I don't even pay attention to them.

Still, it's nice to almost-win...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#148 2016-05-04 01:44:31

turshen
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

First, thank you.

Second, and I point this out just to prevent confusion:  It was a Golden Clit, not a Silver.  (The silver is a wholly different, monthly, award.)  And I didn't actually win, I came in second.  Still not bad, especially for someone who wasn't even paying attention... 

Thank you to everyone who voted for me.
Eric Storm

I was one of the people who nominated WA. By its very location, the current Clits are geared towards SOL readers, but all freely available stories are qualified.

Last edited by turshen (2016-05-04 01:44:47)

#149 2016-05-04 02:46:26

JJ Richards
Inebriated

Great story thus far as usual, Eric.

I don't know why I had not thought about this a long time ago, but as the tent scene zipped by, it dawned on me that David could not get an erection unless he used his blood potion. Scientifically speaking, the sports spongiosum ( tissue that give you and erection does so by engorging in blood) could not work without blood (David can't blush either..so stated in several chapters) except magically since he is a magical being?

Best wishes,
JJ

Jus a random thought. 🤓

#150 2016-05-04 02:48:39

JJ Richards
Inebriated

Damn...I hate auto correct....

"corpus spongiosum"

Board footer