The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#101 2016-04-07 14:47:07

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 6, The

I Just didn't explain the idea well enough, I suppose.  The way(s) it COULD work with Jailla carrying it are as follows: Using twine, you could tie the Cynosure to him either below or above.  This would remove Jailla's need to carry the Cynosure with his feet.  If above, obviously someone would have to be capable of remotely viewing the object, but that would make it easier for below as well, though, landing would be a P.I.T.A. if below.  I can't imagine that the sphere could be more than 8oz. as it is glass, but hollow (don't try to tell me that African Swallows are non-migratory, either).  Now, as for Jailla speaking, I would imagine that, as a familiar, his squawks and other sounds would possibly be translatable as actual speech since he is sentient and intelligent, but due to the need for familiars to have some privacy with their wizards, the magic itself scrambles the signal heard by the listener.  Now, if this is the case, the magical item may or may not be immune to the "interference."  If it is not, I would think that at some point some wizard, somewhere, at some point would have come up with a spell to clear up the "interference" if it is possible and maybe only for an inanimate object.  This could be beneficial for special translators that could be used in courtrooms and even in war as now any familiar could be used like a homing pigeon.  And, even with the brutality that most wars encompass (especially ones with a species like the werewolves) most people avoid killing non-threatening animals, and since the familiars are effectively identical to the non-magical brethren, killing all smaller animals would be shortsighted at best preventing wholesale slaughter of the "lesser" animals.

Now obviously, this (these) options require a few assumptions. 1) Remote viewing of an object, especially one in motion and ability to retain a fixed apparent distance from the object is possible.  2) Jailla's "speech" can be translated, or the remote viewing allows 2 way verbal communication.  3) Jailla can carry the Cynosure for a distance of 10-12 miles reliably (remember, he is flying either cords or a spiraling search pattern to minimize overlap).  4) David thinks about using Jailla, which apparently even as a problem solver by nature, is not exactly something he is likely to do.  He has assimilated magic into his universe and tool kit, but he seems to have issues thinking outside the box under stress.  5) Someone can either take over the search since the likelihood of remote viewing is increased with the familiarity (c wut I did thur?) with the object being viewed (by the way, I can't remember the definition of Crystallomancy, but with David's mastery of the subject so far, perhaps it is something that could be extended to remote viewing in Real Time), or someone else (Olissa or Joe perhaps) can remote view while David leads the search.

Again, these ideas would require Eric to incorporate or already have established rules governing the issues presented.

Eric, feel free to ignore the post if I am completely off base here.  If you use any of my ideas, awesome.

#102 2016-04-08 03:47:19

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Well, let's clear up one thing:

A familiar cannot "speak".  They do not have the vocal equipment to do so (except parrots, obviously.  Why aren't parrots used more often as familiars?  Hmmm.  Good question.)  What happens between a familiar and a wizard is essentially telepathy.  The familiar must establish a connection with his wizard.  This strongly implies that there is no way that the wizard could ease this burden on his familiar by clearing up some kind of interference.  Ultimately, it boils down to this:  Familiars don't talk, they think.  Now, David's house in Bolmont proves that at least simple divination of a familiar's thoughts IS possible (the lift in his house recognizes "up" and "down" requests from familiars), but that would be magic incorporated specifically into an object, and not something that is inherent in its ability.  (Jacob most likely had a familiar when he had the house built, and wanted that familiar to have run of the place, thus needing to give it a way to get around.)

Now, as to Jailla carrying the cynosure:  I've already detailed why carrying it beneath would be a serious difficulty.  I had not considered him carrying it above, but this, also, is probably not feasible.  A black-throated magpie jay has a wingspan of 16".  A billiard ball is 2.25" in diameter.  I envisioned the cynosure slightly larger than that, about 3" across.  Strap this to his back, and chances are that it will interfere with his ability to raise his wings above the horizontal.

Now, let's assume for a moment that Jailla can manage to carry the cynosure on his back, and be able to move his wings far enough to engage in flight.  While I was unable to find any information about the ability of corvids to carry weight, a bald eagle can carry around four pounds or so.  They weigh 8-12 lbs, so we're talking about 33% - 50% of their body weight, maximum.  And, as birds of prey, eagles would be much stronger fliers than carrion-eaters like the corvids.  So, I'm thinking that the cynosure is really beyond Jailla's weight capacity for cargo.

But let's assume that we can secure the cynosure to Jailla's back, he can move his wings, and he can carry the weight for about 120 miles or more (in order to cover the entire forest, he is going to have to fly at least ten passes, each of which is about twelve miles long.)  Let us further make the assumption (though not in evidence anywhere in the series) that David could throw his voice to the location of the cynosure to give it commands.  Now, David could surely use the cynosure as a focus for a viewing lens, so that he could see where the cynosure was pointing.  HOWEVER... he has no way to know where it is!  Once again, the cynosure tells you where you want to go, but if you're not the one who's going, then you also have to know where you are, in order to give useful directions.  Yes, David could see through Jailla's eyes, but we're back to trying to find a useful landmark, in the dark, that will be visible from the ground.  And keep in mind that David has never communicated to Jailla in return: the bird-sight that Jailla has allowed him to have has always been visual-only, and one-way communication.  So David could not even direct Jailla to hover over a spot, once they'd gotten close enough to the boy to be useful.  So the only way this could work at all is if David COULD 'throw his voice'... which is something he has never done, so he would have to be taught how to do (assuming it's possible, which I am neither confirming nor denying at this point).  Generally, you don't think to do things you don't know how to do.

Like I said, this plan is fraught with difficulties and dangers.  It would almost certainly take more time to figure out how to make this plan work than it did to just do what they did.  The truth of the matter is, when someone else's life is on the line is NOT the time to experiment with untried ways to rescue them, unless you've already exhausted all other tested, reliable, options.  The thing that David should be kicking himself for isn't "not thinking outside the box", it's not thinking INSIDE the box.  Fifty years ago, before helicopters with infrared scopes and GPS units, when you wanted to find someone, you called in the dogs.  It took David way too long to remember this.  But he's new to the job, so it can be overlooked.  Why the others didn't think of it is questionable.

Eric Storm

PS: To clarify:  Crystallomancy uses a crystal ball to foretell future events.  Hydromancy would be used to see events occurring now, but at a distance.  David is not good at hydromancy.  A viewing lens could be used to follow a specific "focus", such as the cynosure, but they would have to get a viewing lens and then focus it on the object... not a difficult task, but it would require more time taken.  And a viewing lens is also "one-way" communication.  You can see through it, but not talk.  The simplest method of two-way communication would be a mirror... but now we're just getting weird.  A bird with a ball and a mirror strapped to his back...  I'm pretty sure he couldn't fly at that point.

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#103 2016-04-08 19:08:59

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

Like I said, the idea required several assumptions, all perfectly countered.  Cool beans.  As for him not thinking inside the box, I think he has even more of an excuse because being from Earth not only would he go for a tech inspired solution then dismiss it, but calling in dogs would probably be dismissed as well initially due to lack of availability as well as Bispy being a dragon, he still has yet to fully accept all the new species and so dragons wouldn't be near the top of his initial list for search assist.  However, I bet dragons would be now since he has experience to reinforce the lesson.

No matter how this discussion turned out, this is a fantastic story set in a great universe.  Thanks for the details, Eric, and thank you even more for letting us into it.

#104 2016-04-08 23:26:29

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Well, the only thing is that he's used Bispy as a tracker before, so there's no reason he shouldn't have thought of it.  But... stress.  It has a deleterious effect on creative thinking.

And, like I said, I don't mind discussing things.  It just helps me solidify the world.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#105 2016-04-09 02:36:06

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Has David thought about going to an earth side police academy and mixing the two investigative techniques and maybe using some earth bound science and techniques to improve Dugerran police work and investigations?

on a side note... is /bsd supposed to be a tag for one of the graphic separators?

#106 2016-04-09 06:41:03

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The /bsd should have been fixed already.  If it's not, please send me an email pointing to its location.
[EDIT:] Never mind: I screwed up when I reposted it.  It has been fixed now.

A police academy focuses on street work, mostly.  The investigative techniques taught at an academy would be those involving interviewing witnesses.  When you're talking about scientific investigative techniques/forensics, you're not talking about a police academy, you're talking about college time.  CSI people are often NOT police officers: they're scientists. 

And truthfully, there's little that earth science could add that magic cannot do.  But the laws are not the same, so there are different rules to play by.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#107 2016-04-09 11:39:58

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

I never intended to argue magic versus science.  Although I'm sure both could be intermingled to come out as a stronger overall method.

However, it has been mentioned that the Rhimor's don't have a very good report with the public and their public relations seems to be a problem in general.  It also seems, at least from the perspective of the story, that David is the only one thinking about helping the average Dugerran he runs across in the course of his duties as a Rhimor.  As an example, teaching the privacy charm to the man having to deal with the noisy neighbors.  I will grant you that Joe and the others might not know about that particular charm though.  Of course, your future world of Dugerra stories could have David becoming the head of the Rhimors and trying to improve their public image... I'm sure that's for some future series though centered around another character(s).  Although I think David should maybe consider Calamandia military service and get some insight and training from Lord Woodward, just my perspective.

Anyway, I was just thinking that from an investigative perspective that it wouldn't hurt and might even help if David were to study both Dugerran and Earth investigative methods.  Couldn't hurt if the Rhimors that had to deal with Earth did it either, in my opinion, although that would be outside the story as uninteresting.

#108 2016-04-10 00:44:15

turshen
Inebriated

Barbarian3165 wrote:

study both Dugerran and Earth investigative methods.  Couldn't hurt if the Rhimors that had to deal with Earth did it either, in my opinion, although that would be outside the story as uninteresting.

It was shown that at least some of the law enforcement in Earth have knowledge of Dugerra and Rimhors. Perhaps there are liaisons (perhaps at state or federal levels) that can facilitate cross-world investigations. Like the one facing Joe and David now.

#109 2016-04-10 02:26:15

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The Rimohrs' public relations problem stems from poor recruitment tactics, not their training.  They've allowed in people who should never have been Rimohrs in the first place.  There are certain personality types that really enjoy wielding authority, but under no circumstances should they actually be allowed to do so.  These people are the cause of a LOT of police public relations problems, but the Rimohrs suffer worse than most.

As to David becoming head of the Rimohrs, or him joining the Callamandian military... I can't say anything without revealing things about future books.

Regards,
Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#110 2016-04-10 02:28:05

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Oh, I can say, to turshen's point, however, that no, there are no special liaison officers between Earth and Dugerran law enforcement.  They wouldn't have enough to do to justify their existence.  Generally, the Rimohrs are supposed to have enough Earth knowledge to handle the liaison work directly.  (This is another failing of the current department.)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#111 2016-04-20 18:29:08

StoryJunkie
Wasted

there may not be a special liaison, but I'm sure that some cooperation will be needed in this next case, but I do wonder....if local cops know some about Rimohrs, and some Feds (as seen in the court case with Zyla's ex mother in law) do all the feds have this type of knowledge, all meaning the department heads....I can see where F.B.I. and maybe state police could help out this investigation on the Earth side with David going back and forth.

I also see a potential problem though, how many of the others (on the Earth side) would gain knowledge they shouldn't have...

The month has 10 days left in it, so I guess we will see what's going to happen next...I know I'm looking forward to it 3dsmile

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#112 2016-04-20 19:02:08

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I have answered this question before.  ALL law enforcement officers are told about Rimohrs.  Now, that briefing is probably short, and many of them probably forgot it ten minutes after it happened, but they have all been told.

You'll note that they have not run into a police officer who, once told what they are, says, "What the fuck is a Rimohr?  Get the hell out of my face!"  That is NOT coincidence.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#113 2016-04-20 19:18:28

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

It's new information to me that 'all law enforcement officers' are told about Rhimors.  I figured it was the department heads, officers of the day, or other in charge officers (i.e. night shift officer in charge) of each jurisdiction and precinct that knew about Rhimors and they would tell their people to leave these guys alone when they were active in their jurisdiction.  Otherwise, why report to the local Police Captain or Sheriff instead of to the officer on duty at the front desk, provided they can't be overheard by John Q Public, that is.

#114 2016-04-21 03:07:58

ictthunder
Tipsy

Makes sense to me they would all have some basic knowledge.   Talking to those in charge would be the correct course of action in my opinion as they are the ones that can tell the other officers to back off as would be the same case when dealing with other agencies.

#115 2016-04-21 05:09:55

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

As an officer of the law from another jurisdiction, you DO NOT check in with the "desk sergeant".  That would be highly disrespectful.  You check in with the officer in charge of your counterpart unit (captain of the homicide division, captain of vice, etc.), at the very least.  Not to mention that the desk sergeant is not in a position to easily disseminate information to the officers who need to know of your presence.

In the case of the Rimohrs, as they generally do not have a counterpart unit (Those in the "investigative division" are all generalists...), they would check in with whatever highest-ranking officer is available. 

This is standard procedure for police - in the United States, anyway.  Whenever officers from another jurisdiction come to town, they always make their presence known to the local police.  It prevents misunderstandings, and possibly prevents somebody getting shot.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#116 2016-04-21 15:21:18

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

Eric, I would assume that as part of the briefing a Rimohr would be present or even make the presentation.  Then, they could use magic (assuming the spell exists) to prevent the officer from discussing the existence of the Rimohrs with anyone they do not expressly know has knowledge of the existence of magic in general and Rimohrs as a whole.  Of course, I suppose they could have just cast a similar enchantment on the whole of Earth but made it Rimohr specific at the time.

Last edited by Fenixreign (2016-04-21 15:21:47)

#117 2016-04-21 17:32:05

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

What law enforcement officer would want to start talking about magic as if it were real on earth?  I would think if they did, it would be a one way ticket to a psychiatric ward even if they were right.

#118 2016-04-21 23:06:53

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Barbarian's right.  Magic is "taboo" to talk about, it's not "illegal".  If it were, then they would have to Gag Order every single wizard. 

The briefing officers receive is in order to let them know that a) Rimohrs have full and complete jurisdiction over anything involving wizards, and b) to warn officers that, since a Rimohr's presence is probably going to prevent you from getting your ass fried by some dark wizard, it's not a good idea to piss them off.  There would be a suggestion that they keep this information to themselves in order to keep the public from being confused and dismayed, but let's face it: people who have no need to know about magic are going to know.  Friends and family of wizards, people that wizards have tried to impress, judges and others who have had to deal with wizard issues...  This is one of those things that is "closely held", but is not "classified".  Now, the specifics of the matter (Dugerra, the travel gates, etc.) are more sensitive information, and that is NOT distributed to anyone who doesn't have need to know.  But hiding the existence of magic completely would be like trying to hide the existence of Area 51: too many people know it's there.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#119 2016-04-22 14:41:42

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

NOW YOU WAIT 1 MINUTE THERE SIR!  Are you trying t tell me that the Groom Lake facility actually exists?  But... But... But the U.S. Government denies this adamantly!  They would NEVER lie to the American people!

;P

#120 2016-04-22 18:46:51

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Two points:

1. The US Government has never denied the existence of Area 51.  Their position was always "neither confirm nor deny".
2. The government's position was rather... well... stupid.  The term "Area 51" is geographical.  Denying the existence of "Area 51" implies that the government had some reason to number their map Area 49, Area 50, Area 52, Area 53...  This would be highly illogical.

I never said anything about the existence of Dreamland, after all, just Area 51. 

3dwink

Eric Storm

PS:  About the only thing the US Government is actually good at is lying to the American public.

----
Facebook page

#121 2016-04-23 00:43:00

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

I respectfully disagree.  They are also AMAZINGLY good at spending money they don't have.  Also, the "51" may refer to something other than a linear progression.  For instance, in hexadecimal it translates to "Q" and that could be something?  Maybe?  Ok, maybe not, but the point stands.  /dance

Last edited by Fenixreign (2016-04-23 00:48:12)

#122 2016-04-23 05:46:50

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You misunderstand:  "Area 51" is a geographical map designation.  A government map was broken into "areas".  "Area 51" falls between (naturally enough) Area 50 and Area 52.  This is not speculation: the maps were public information.  This is why denying the existence of "Area 51" would never make sense.  Denying the existence of "Dreamland" or the "Groom Lake Annex" or any of a zillion other names given to the base... that's a different story.  (Although in this day and age, denying the existence of the base is just as ludicrous, given that there is photographic evidence of it...)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#123 2016-04-23 18:40:51

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

Eric, I am going to have to ask you to stop confusing this discussion with your "logic."  How dare you!  Jk.  Ok, back too your regularly scheduled Year 6 conversation and he'll let's talk about it being 8 days too the next chapter posting!  YAY!

#124 2016-04-27 13:50:39

Dolez
Tipsy

Hi,
I have read 2 times already this whole series and I like it very much. I like it when David "levels up" gets stronger on the way. I have few ideas how Davids investigetion will go and will wait until it finishes to find out will it be like I thought.
I would like to know what David studies in this year at school. In book it have been told thas he has registered his school year, but not told what it is. What I have caught is Advanced Sword And Staff, which is not official in papers. I think he continues TEM and Divination but other than those I dont know.
I think it will add to his combat strenght if he would start Charms And Hexes in DET studies if has time for it.

#125 2016-04-27 16:34:13

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Dolez wrote:

I think he continues TEM and Divination but other than those I dont know.

Other than those, there IS nothing.  David's class load is light, because his other work is heavy.  He has, in year 6:

Divination DS
TEM DS
Sword and Staff training
Peg Riders Guild
continued potions work for the vampires in Travaysal
Rimohr Internship
Chief of Security position

These last two are full-time jobs, on top of his schoolwork.

While I know you meant DS, I'm racking my brain to figure out what "DET" would actually stand for in relation to his continued studies.

David would not qualify for DS in Charms & Hexes.  He's not a very good spellcaster.  (Please note:  You may think otherwise, because he easily does all the spells you see him doing in the books.  That's because he limits himself to spells he knows he can do.  Compared to other wizards, he is a barely average spellcaster.)  This is the reason his focus has always been on subjects where spellcasting is a secondary activity.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer