The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#126 2016-01-16 17:36:18

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 5, The

Sorry, I wasn't at my computer and I didn't have a piece of paper and a pen at hand to write a note at the time I saw the typo.  If you want this kind of stuff sent in a PM or e-mail then that would be fine by me.  Otherwise I'll just start correcting my copy as I see fit and let everyone else fend for themselves.  Whatever works for you, it is your story.

On another question, purely hypothetical.  In the big battle with 'The Clan' when the DiRT, Security guys, and Sword and Staff students pulled into a line and then a circle... could David have stepped into the center of the circle had everyone grab onto him and then ghosted the entire group to a "ghosted intangible state"?  If he could ghost the entire group could all of them cast spells while in that intangible state?  Seems like they would then kick 'The Clan's' ass rather handily because it would be harder for 'The Clan' to actually affect the DiRT team.  Anyway, worth considering for a future battle with the were-nation or whomever is going to cause problems for Calamandia.  A squad or two of ghosted intangible spell casters to kick serious ass with minimal risk.

#127 2016-01-16 18:45:13

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

No.

At that point, David is not in possession of them.  They are in possession of him.  In order for him to ghost something or someone, he must be in secure possession of the item or person in question.  Holding hands, or wearing the object, or holding the object, hugging the person...  He could have, at most, ghosted two people at once.  This would have left the others to fend for themselves, and David would have had to choose who to ghost.  Not something you want to be doing as "commanding officer" in a battle.

Eric Storm

PS: As to the other, I told you not to get all offended.  Yes, typos really ought to be handled privately (for any author.  I mean, really, is there some discussion that needs to happen over a typo?  Forums are for discussion...)  But I'm rather confused.  You were able to post a notice about it to this forum, thus you were at a computer of some kind that had access to this website, yet you imply that you couldn't have found the error to point it out more specifically.  Given that the story is posted here, that is logically rather improbable.

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#128 2016-01-16 18:54:15

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

I did not post until several hours after I had read past the typo.  I was reading on my Kindle while out to dinner when I came across the typo, and I was not in my immediate area so there was also significant drive time before I got back to my home and a computer.  At which point I was more interested in finishing the rereading of the book then posting about the inconsistency.

#129 2016-01-16 20:56:58

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I guess you're missing the point.

SOMEONE had to do the work to actually find the specific location of the error.  At the time you posted, you had the ability to find it as easily as I did.  More easily, in actuality, because you had read the story just hours before.  I wrote it almost a year ago, and haven't read through it in a couple months, thus your recollection of where things occurred should have been fresher than mine.

But I understand what you're saying.  You're saying you'd rather I have to do the work to find it than for you to do it.  I was just hoping you were wanting to be more helpful than that, and was providing a way that you could be.  No worries.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#130 2016-01-17 01:54:22

riun
Inebriated

You and your editor are doing a fantastic job, keep it up. I've seen published works that haven't been edited as yours.

"The curse of a reader is reading faster than the author can write (or post)."

#131 2016-01-17 06:22:43

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Thanks, riun.  I'll look in the mirror and pass along your comments to my editor.

3dsmile

I have four reviewers, but they rarely make comments about the mechanics of my writing.  They are there mainly to talk about the story itself, rather than the words used to tell it.  I proofread/edit my own work. 

Eric Storm

NOTE:  My reviewers do let me know if they catch an error.  But that's not their primary function.

----
Facebook page

#132 2016-02-01 10:27:16

Timberwolf92
Inebriated

Another exemplary chapter

(posted from Chapter 8: January)

#133 2016-02-01 18:00:07

veon
Inebriated

I read Vol. 5 chap. 8 and was the begining of a new semester and that make me think of the things that David didn't study like animperium and the one with magic in machines and the other tipes of Divination like taromancy or the fact that he didn't look for a new teacher for plants (a male one would be better this time) I mean theres a lot of magic to learn and he almolst don't need to sleep so why he didn't take a new class this simester. I whant to see he learn more magic and maybe a new aprendiship the Divination teachers like him so maybe there or he could start to help in the infermary he is a master of potions after all.

(posted from the Item Information Page)

Last edited by veon (2016-02-01 18:09:51)

#134 2016-02-02 16:33:02

Lucky869
Inebriated

Really enjoyed this chapter and the development so far, looking forward to the rest of this book. Awesome work as always Eric.

(posted from Chapter 8: January)

#135 2016-02-04 05:46:41

amyrruh
Tipsy

I am so tempted to donate money because of these stories and everything else you've written but I know if I did I would read all of the remaining chapters! This would definitely be a bad situation as this series is one of the only quality stories I have found in a long time, and it is regularly continued..... decisions, decisions......

#136 2016-02-04 06:26:45

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

The benefits of donating, amyrruh, are totally worth it.  We are 6 months ahead of you in the PRM and thee stuff that has happened is amazing.  Besides, think of it this way, you truly enjoy Eric's amazing work, doesn't he deserve at least some compensation?  If he could publish mainstream, he would likely be selling books for $20-50 per.  $24 gets you 2 years of PRM access and Eric is just a little bit more smiley and he says "thank you" and everything!

#137 2016-03-01 18:14:18

Timberwolf92
Inebriated

Eric,
It kills me that I do not have the finances to help you out here, especially after reading chapters like this one. Keep up the marvelous work.

(posted from Chapter 9: February)

#138 2016-03-01 23:28:14

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

veon:

Please excuse the lateness of my reply.  Somehow, I never saw your post.

The question is, "Why doesn't David do more than he's doing?"  Well, let's see what David's currently doing (as of Chapter 8 of Book 5):

1. Elemandy Directed Study
2. Divination Directed Study
3. Conjuring Apprenticeship
4. Conjuring class instruction
5. Sword and Staff class
6. Continued potions work for the vampires
7. DIRT

Now, we can assume that DIRT is taking up his entire evening, most evenings.  Sure, he takes days off, but most of the time, he is involved in some DIRT activity.  So, that pretty much takes away anything that might happen after, say, 7pm, to around 11pm.

Preparation for instructing his Conjuring class is probably the least task he does, but even that would take at least as many hours outside of class as inside.  (If you don't think so, you've never tried to teach a class.)

He is the top of his class in Sword and Staff.  He didn't get there by NOT practicing, or by practicing just a little.  You may assume he attends to these skills on the order of a couple hours a day.

His apprenticeship in Conjuring would take a significant daily practice, as well.  Though David is naturally talented in Conjuring, his speed of advance in training is due in large part to the amount of effort he's put into it.  This has been true from day one, thanks to Prof. Quayde.

This leaves his two Directed Study courses, each of which he is required to make "satisfactory progress" with.  I think it's safe to assume, given his diligence, that he tackles these a couple hours a day, each, as well.

What I've detailed here is 14 hours (approximately) of daily effort.  Add in the 4 hours of sleep he needs, and we're up to 18, leaving him just 6 hours a day for miscellaneous tasks like socializing, hygiene, "administrative" necessities, doing the potions work he's agreed to... and let's allow him a little time each day to relax, shall we?

Just exactly how hard do you want him to work????

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#139 2016-03-04 03:24:41

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Although veon responded via email (using the "report" mechanism... why didn't you just click the E-mail link on the left beneath my name???), his comment was such that I felt it needed to be responded to publicly.

His comment basically was that it certainly doesn't feel as though as much time is consumed by David in his studies in book 5.

The answer to this is simple:  His studies aren't the focus of the book, so they don't get talked about much.  The book is mostly about the DIRT, and The Clan, and David's having to deal with them.  His studies aren't very important to the storyline as a whole... and, frankly, reading about it would be dull as all hell.  Thus, I focused more on the things that were important and/or interesting to read about.  While I used to be able to write about David's interactions with his professors, he's doing that far less frequently now, and is studying mostly on his own.  There's just not a lot to say about a guy sitting at a desk reading a book that's going to hold anyone's attention.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#140 2016-03-12 09:41:04

Lucky869
Inebriated

So what I understand from your description of his daily time consumption is, David works ALMOST as much as you do Eric?  3dbig_smile  We all know the internet, haters gonna hate.  Sometimes I get aggravated with people as well. Keep doing what you do, and the rest of us who appreciate your work will always remain.

#141 2016-03-12 16:49:53

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Pffft.  I wish I had the energy to do HALF of what David does in a day.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#142 2016-04-01 03:31:19

runkmaster24
Inebriated

I love this series I have read it multiple times. And I am on here look on the first of every month waiting for the next chapter. Can't wait to see what the new chapter has in store

#143 2016-04-01 04:47:26

riun
Inebriated

Look Eric a troll of appreciation. 3dbig_smile

#144 2016-04-01 04:52:05

adultswim3
Inebriated

My guess would be impatience over troll. Hmmm my comment wont load, let me keep hitting this  button.

#145 2016-04-01 04:59:42

Crusader
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

..."administrative" necessities...

I just laughed for just shy of a full minute.

Mr wordsmith, even your forum posts are full of gems.

#146 2016-05-07 02:40:06

Dolez
Tipsy

I would like to comment on one particular situation.
In year 5 february 4/5 of chapter there David helps girl with her dream using dreamcatcher and tells the view to his professor about it, who tells that he cant talk about it before royal court have discussed it with David.
I haven`t seen/read a scene about it in this book or year 6 1-5 chapters.
I dont`t know if you left on purpose, but wanted to know.

(posted from Chapter 9: February)

#147 2016-05-07 04:41:13

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Obviously I omitted it on purpose.

If I was going to tell you what was going on, I wouldn't have been so roundabout in their conversation in the first place.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#148 2016-05-11 23:13:32

riun
Inebriated

Some where in one of your earlier books a character stated that each year after the first you would receive license. Magic use for the second year ( at least at WAY ), third travel, fourth citizenship, and the fifth would be business. So my problem is why for your fifth year would you get a business license if its direct study after year four? Did David have to go to a class or get a book like he did for his travel exam?

Last edited by riun (2016-05-11 23:14:44)

#149 2016-05-11 23:39:02

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yes, he would have received a book like he did for his travel endorsement.  There isn't a specific class for business because the topic is far too broad, and the rules you really need to know can be contained in a short book.

Everything else, you can simply ask the appropriate government office about.  Unlike Earth agencies, Callamandian agencies are helpful.  (Think I'm kidding?  If you ask the IRS for help with your taxes, and they give you incorrect advice, it is still YOUR FAULT, legally.)

And licensure happens after the second year at every academy.  It's just that students at other academies have lower first-attempt success rates.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#150 2017-05-02 02:58:22

M8jsX7mc7kSZ
Inebriated

Congrats on winning second place in the Best Erotic Fantasy Story 2016 in the Clitorides Awards with this story:

https://clitoridesawards.org/archives/2016

Board footer