The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-16 03:08:04

cracki
Tipsy

idea for a psychic shield

whenever some character has a shield, ward or whatever it's called, it seems to stop things (bullets, energy,...).

i can't remember any shield absorbing energy.
and only once (in net wolf's "camp: ron's journey") have i read about how things (in that instance: photons, i.e. light) are deflected or bent around oneself.
i mean, stopping things is obviously way more straining than absorbing the energy (okay, if you're able to do that) or just giving projectiles a nudge away from you.

also, some other feats i haven't seen in any story i've read so far:
- operating the TV directly (sending the IR signals) instead of with a remote
- eating without cutlery, drinking without touching the glass/cup/mug/bottle
- writing or painting without touching any pens or brushes: applying the pigments directly, or even altering the canvas itself
- messing with animals: making the cat walk the ceiling, flying around the birds outside (i.e. TK'ing them around)
- annoying the teacher by wiping away or altering what's written on the blackboard

(i do remember reading about making the dishes in selfavatar's "story of alan" which illustrates some raw powers within alan and his sister)

there so much other stuff someone with telekinesis might decide to do in day-to-day life...
personally, i'd watch electronic devices operate and try my luck manipulating them for fun. would be much more fun than learning about electronics or science in general (physics, biology, chemistry,...).

what would you do?
thoughts?

Last edited by cracki (2006-12-16 03:14:49)

#2 2006-12-16 04:13:19

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: idea for a psychic shield

Just a couple questions:

How do you intend figuring out the IR sequence for a remote?  TK would not give you the ability to see in the IR... also, reproducing the signal, even if you're capable of generating an IR photon pulse, is probably beyond the capability of human timing due to the speed involved.

How would you "alter a canvas directly" to write on it?  Unless you're going to burn letters into it, there's not really anything in white paper or in a blank canvas that can be altered to give it a color, other than "charred", that I'm aware of.  If there is, it would be advanced chemistry...

I will also say that it may seem easier to absorb energy than to stop it, but think about what's involved:  The psionic "blast" has enough energy to harm, which means that in order for you to absorb it, first you have to slow it down.  You have to take it to a point where it will not harm you when it touches you.  Then you have to figure out a way to "re-tune" the energy, which was initially against you, to work for you.  This may be as simple as redirecting its flow, but it's still energy expended.  Once you've done all that, only then can you absorb the energy.  It occurs to me at this point that you've probably expended more energy than you're absorbing... and certainly more than just stopping it.  Deflection is the easiest way to handle it, but it leaves the energy intact to hurt something else...

Just some thoughts...
Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2006-12-16 04:18:50

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

cracki wrote:

whenever some character has a shield, ward or whatever it's called, it seems to stop things (bullets, energy,...).

Sure you can absorb the energy but then what are you going to do with it?  A battery or capacitor can only hold so much energy before it explodes.  Think of the armor Sir Winston used in Talosian Chronicles that absorbs energy but then is lethal when it discharges

cracki wrote:

and only once (in net wolf's "camp: ron's journey") have i read about how things (in that instance: photons, i.e. light) are deflected or bent around oneself.

I've seen this done when used as a cloaking field of some sort.  Siath with Oojong(sic) comes to mind.

cracki wrote:

i mean, stopping things is obviously way more straining than absorbing the energy (okay, if you're able to do that) or just giving projectiles a nudge away from you.

also, some other feats i haven't seen in any story i've read so far:
- operating the TV directly (sending the IR signals) instead of with a remote

I think it was X3 one of the students was shown mentally changing the channels on the TV but it was never explain how he was doing it.

cracki wrote:

- eating without cutlery, drinking without touching the glass/cup/mug/bottle

You got me there but I think that would take all the enjoyment out of eating.

cracki wrote:

- writing or painting without touching any pens or brushes: applying the pigments directly, or even altering the canvas itself

A person with a well developed TK skill should in theory be able to do most of this.  Altering the canvas however would require a person to be able to alter things on a molecular level.

cracki wrote:

- messing with animals: making the cat walk the ceiling, flying around the birds outside (i.e. TK'ing them around)
- annoying the teacher by wiping away or altering what's written on the blackboard

(i do remember reading about making the dishes in selfavatar's "story of alan" which illustrates some raw powers within alan and his sister)

there so much other stuff someone with telekinesis might decide to do in day-to-day life...
personally, i'd watch electronic devices operate and try my luck manipulating them for fun. would be much more fun than learning about electronics or science in general (physics, biology, chemistry,...).

what would you do?
thoughts?

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#4 2006-12-16 08:22:56

dv8n
Wasted

...basically what they are saying is you are prolly talking about several different powers and a whole lot of practice to be able to do a few things most people would be too busy getting rich or destroying enemies at this skill and power level to even bother....not saying some people wouldn't 3dbig_smile   

but if you had that kind of control you could be not getting into sooooo much trouble doing things you weren't supposed to and never being caught.

:lol:

#5 2006-12-17 02:35:05

CSquared
Wasted

cracki wrote:

Well, the way I'd stop something would be by absorbing its kinetic energy.  Would that deal with its inertia, or not?  If you suddenly removed something's kinetic energy, would you negate its momentum?  Shit, I've given myself a lot to think about here. T_T XD

CSquared

#6 2006-12-17 02:55:09

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

From a physics standpoint:  If you remove an object's kinetic energy, you have removed its motion, because kinetic energy is energy of motion.  Thus, you have removed its momentum, because momentum is mass x velocity, and since it no longer has a velocity, it doesn't have a momentum.

The thing is, how would you actually DO this?  You would have to have "invented" some psionic mechanism, similar to the brakes on an electric car, that recharge the batteries when you are applying braking pressure.  I have no idea how you'd pull that off for an actual object.  If you're talking about a pure energy attack, that is just as sticky an issue... how would you absorb said energy?  It's not clear there's any way to actually achieve this, whereas fighting force against force is a simple concept.

Also, (shameless plug alert!) in Dragonseekers, when fighting the dragon, Don did absorb / redirect energy through his own system, instead of blocking it.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#7 2006-12-17 03:55:41

CSquared
Wasted

Good point.  Sorry, it's three in the morning over here, I can't really think straight.  Of course it would have no momentum.  Heh, and I'm studying physics. ^^;

CSquared

#8 2006-12-17 07:56:03

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Storymaster69 wrote:

I think it was X3 one of the students was shown mentally changing the channels on the TV but it was never explain how he was doing it.
thoughts?

that was artie in the comic he talked by projecting psycic holograms in the movies i beleive he was a technokinetic/technopath but im not sure

sorry bout the spelling tonight we're really tierd for som reason

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#9 2006-12-18 20:50:25

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

You all end up in some of the geekiest conversations I've ever seen. Now, don't get me wrong, I read comic books, I've seen X-men and Spider man and hated them for not sticking to canon but you all think up some wierd stuff.

... Now where did I put that Idea for a jar of peanut butter that makes everyone turn purple? Hmmm?

#10 2006-12-19 09:18:02

dv8n
Wasted

Jefferson wrote:

You all end up in some of the geekiest conversations I've ever seen.

...weeeeeellllllll then join in more often and you'll start to get infected too....um...I'm mean into the spirit...yeah that's what I meant.....c'mon let's go hang out and get you infected....I mean more comfy with your geekiness...

3dbig_smile

#11 2006-12-19 11:40:22

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

"more comfy with your geekiness..."

I'm VERY comfortable with Geek-uality! Thank you Very much!

Geekuality is now copywrited and my intellectual property. Feel free to use it but remember, it's a penny per use. Keep track and you can send me the money when it gets to more than a dollar. I trust you. Thanks. Cash or money order please. No personal checks. I don't trust you that much. 3dtongue

#12 2006-12-19 19:28:28

dv8n
Wasted

what if I have ID?  3dbig_smile

#13 2006-12-20 17:00:33

SlaveMaster
Wasted

Can you beat the geek? I  know I can

Welcome to The Mystic Wolf Pub

#14 2006-12-21 03:08:08

dv8n
Wasted

?????? OK...go ahead I'll start charging for admission 3dsmile

we'll um...split the door....um..later yea later after the....fight yea after the fight  3dbig_smile

ok?

#15 2006-12-21 10:09:54

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

*Cries* I'm gonna tell Net Wolf on ya all. 3dsmile

(I'm not only a geek, I'm also a coward. Did I forget to mention that?) hehe

#16 2006-12-21 11:03:34

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

"Blessed are the geek(s), for they shall inherit the Earth." - Josh Christ.  3dwink

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#17 2006-12-21 11:07:06

Drahkar
Inebriated

Amen to that. 3dsmile

Also something of note, I hate that Geek TV show that pits 'Attrativee Women' with 'Geeks'. It makes me want to smack the people involved.

Mainly because they all seem to be morons and overacting their role, but thats just my observation of it.

#18 2006-12-21 19:15:48

dv8n
Wasted

I haven't seen it...

hey Net are you sure it isn't "Blessed are the leeches for they shall inherit the earth"....cause that seems closer to how the world's been turning...you know what I mean?
3dbig_smile
...and jefferson stop that crying right now...get in there and take whatever Transvader does to you like a Man *hurridly counting money while stuffing it in a bag*  ...um now I've...um got to go to an appointment...to see um....somebody....gotta go bye  3dbig_smile

Last edited by dv8n (2006-12-21 19:31:28)

#19 2006-12-21 19:46:20

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Hmmm.  Hey, siath, I think it's time to beat up and rob dv8n again...

hehehehehe.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#20 2006-12-21 19:48:18

dv8n
Wasted

...but I was gonna use this money to pay my bar tab  3dsad

#21 2006-12-21 19:50:55

siath
Wasted

I already switched it for monopoly money, he just doesn't know it...

Be by later to split it with you.

Siath

#22 2006-12-21 19:58:08

dv8n
Wasted

3dsad
Thats just not nice.....I knew anybody that didn't like surviving humans and AI's as much as Siath seems to not, must be mean ....BUT this just isn't right taken a man's hard earned and slightly stolen money like that....He's just lucky I'm passive aggressive by nature...I'll just sit here and bitch in my drink all to myself.....and try not to bother anybody else 3dsad

3dbig_smile  3dtongue

Last edited by dv8n (2006-12-21 19:58:40)

#23 2006-12-22 02:07:16

CSquared
Wasted

Drahkar wrote:

Mainly because they all seem to be morons and overacting their role, but thats just my observation of it.

I concur.  I'm a geek, quite a severe one (so much so I'm going to an anime convention in August dressed as Kakashi... XD), and I still get laid on a regular basis.  Those guys are either so hopeless that they should be wiped out (survival of the fittest, eh?) or they're taking the piss.

'Beauty and the Geek', I believe was the name of the program.

CSquared

#24 2006-12-27 11:39:55

dv8n
Wasted

Speaking of psychic sheild I like the way Selfavatar did one for alan in "The Story of Alan"   Tess just pushed thought energy out and created a thought shell....later Alan just wrapped the same kind of energy (maybe just energy or thought energy or telekinetic energy can't really remember ) around himself creating a bubble around himself...which he could also accelerate super fast using his thoughts...It had some cool uses of powers in the story...It's still going as far as I know...at that other place if Selfavatar didn't leave that is  3dbig_smile

Board footer