You are not logged in.

#26 2007-07-08 05:32:08

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: julian gives up this was posted at ewp on the 12th

Neitherspace wrote:

IRc dosen't work very well on macs in my exp

Since IRC is nothing more than a protocol, I would say that is the fault of the program(s) you were using.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#27 2007-07-08 18:36:18

Unworthy1
Inebriated

That was it BR, thanks. I will have to go get it again.

I think my AIM thingy was Arnwurvy1

As for the Mac thing Neitherspace, that's not an issue for me as I use a PC. Can't afford one of them posh Mac things. Even if I could, I couldn't afford to swap all of my software to Mac OS.

I know that you can run windows software on a mac but that's through an emulator and as far as I can make out it kind of defeats the object.

#28 2007-07-08 19:17:38

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

That's what my computer says it is.  Congratulations on remembering it.  I'm not sure I would have remembered mine after two years.

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#29 2007-07-09 02:24:44

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Unworthy thats the beauty of macs you can load windows onto em and cross boot into either OS (course I've been a mac-o-phile for almost a decade now so it would be jut as expensive for me to switch as it would you)

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#30 2007-07-09 02:44:19

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Neitherspace wrote:

Unworthy thats the beauty of macs you can load windows onto em and cross boot into either OS (course I've been a mac-o-phile for almost a decade now so it would be jut as expensive for me to switch as it would you)

Yes and no.  I think you are talking about Boot Camp and you need to be running the systems with Intel CPUs

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#31 2007-07-16 03:11:05

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

I noticed this today on ewp

2007-07-14
downtime
seems someone is DDoSing our site and trying to brute force it, which greatly annoys me i will be taking measures to correct this once i get a day off.

i think someones doing the same thing to SOL today cause i can't connect AT ALL (though it may just be my computer being stupid)

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#32 2007-07-16 23:13:41

nightsecho
Wasted

i got on sol just fine so it might just be you

looking at you with wide eyes from the darkness

#33 2007-07-17 02:50:04

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

yea i think so too actually i tried again around 2:00 am my time (the one day i need a good nights sleep this whole F%^KING week and i wake up 8 hours early for work 3dsad) anyway not the point i think fire fox was just being stupid the latist mac build is Buggy as hell its at time for no rason locked up on me.

If i knew ANYTHING about coding i might try to fix it *sigh*

#34 2007-07-20 14:26:05

CSquared
Wasted

Net Wolf wrote:

but adding authors just for the sake of adding authors puts us right back where EWP was when I left it in 2005...

Just regarding this - if it hadn't been for EWP, I'd never have got off the ground.  Perhaps a system where people submit a case as to why you should accept them, which is then put before the current donors for a vote, would work?  After all, it's unlikely that the relatively small number of people currently within the system are going to know of a substantial proportion of the potential out there.

That said, I'm not pushing for you to get more authors.  I rather like it how it is. 3dsmile

CSquared

#35 2007-07-20 19:43:55

siath
Wasted

The idea was to keep the quality up. When you do as EWP does and a dozen other sites you end up with a rather large mix of talent and a site with no direction. While it was EWP that got me out there, I think for the PUB to be special and set apart form other sites we would have to have a standard. That being said, I know that I am not as good as anyone on this site as far as writing talent. So I sould be used as the minimum standard, or maybe that would be too low.
It had always been Net's idea to have the Pub set a higher standard than the rest. At least that's how I seen what he was trying to do.

Siath

#36 2007-07-20 21:56:59

Unworthy1
Inebriated

Well, this is getting interesting.

I was only asking about posting here because there are a few people on this site whose opinion I value but this is really starting to sound like pure snobbery to me.

I can understand wanting to keep the numbers low from an administrative point of view, to keep them low to maintain community etc which was how this section of the discussion started out but now...

Who decides what the standard should be? What would you base it on? Are we talking about writing ability? Story telling ability? Spelling ability? Maybe it should be based on who can suck up the hardest?

I am under no illusion about my paltry offerings and I doubt that I could live up to many of the standards that some feel should be in place here, however; EWP was the reason I started to write and now that site is apparently on the decline where else should an aspiring or frustrated wannabe author go for help, support, guidance or constructive criticism?

Setting a minimum standard is one thing but to do it to the exclusion of many other considerations smacks of elitism and in my opinion would kill this site as surely as picking the ten worst stories you can find and making them your headline acts.

I don't mean to be overly confrontational about this but that's just how it appears this discussion turning

#37 2007-07-20 22:37:10

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

To the exclusion of WHAT other considerations????

This is a story / artwork site.  The only thing we've got to go on is how good your stories or artwork are.

And I'm sorry that you consider having standards "snobbery".  I consider it "the cost of admission."  I have to do all the work to maintain this site.  Nobody's donating anything, so I'm not getting a DAMN THING for my effort.  Don't you think I should be able to say, "You know, I don't feel your work is of high enough quality for me to spend the time and effort - for which I do not get compensated - to post it on my site - for which I do not get paid."?  I'm not allowed to say that without being a snob?

As to how that choice would be made, it was discussed in another thread.  I will repeat the process here:

1. Prospective authors will request consideration for admittance.  Alternatively, I may also ask site members to recommend people, if the list of requesters is short.

2. I will rule out anyone I personally will not have on my site.  This group is fairly small, but there are some authors (not you, Unworthy1) that I simply will not have in my space.

3. Potential authors will be contacted to see if they have any interest in posting here.  If not, they, too, will be removed from consideration.

4. The donators and current contributors to the site will make their recommendation of 3 - 5 authors.

5. The site members will vote on those 3 - 5 authors, for who they would like to see on the site next.

6. The staff will take the members' vote into account as a whole, and make a decision based on who they believe to be the best contributor for the site to add.

Before anyone bothers asking, the donors and contributors get special consideration because they have given something to the site directly.

Just exactly how would you have us choose new authors?  First come, first served?  That could leave some very high-quality, and POPULAR, authors sitting waiting for months while obscure and not-very-popular authors keep getting added.  I'm all for helping out new authors, and if I think someone really needs to be here, I will add them of my own accord.  I can do that, because I OWN THE PLACE.

So, yeah, you don't like the way we plan to do it?  Fine, give us a better idea, but don't just whine about our plans.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#38 2007-07-20 22:44:28

Unworthy1
Inebriated

Net I wasn't having a pop at you. I understood from the other thread and from your previous comments about what you are trying to achieve and your reasons for it. I'm sorry if you felt my previous post was a personal attack.

All I was doing was pointing out that this particular discussion was becoming more and more "cliquish" and more "Us and them". I hadn't felt that this was the case before but it just seemed to be headed that way.

#39 2007-07-20 22:47:02

CSquared
Wasted

See, the amusing part is that my suggestion was already what you were doing.  I'd just forgotten.

Unworthy1: I'd imagine that there are many more issues being considered than just quality of writing (which I take to mean everything from storytelling to legibility, all weighing against each other).  If I were Net, I'd be thinking about update schedule, potential readership (which may be covered by quality of writing, but not necessarily), and others that haven't popped into my head while writing this post.  That may not be how he does it, but I'm fairly sure he wouldn't base it on "this guy can't spell, he's out".

CSquared

#40 2007-07-21 03:02:11

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

CSquared wrote:

Net Wolf wrote:

but adding authors just for the sake of adding authors puts us right back where EWP was when I left it in 2005...

That said, I'm not pushing for you to get more authors.  I rather like it how it is. 3dsmile

CSquared

acctually so do I and im not even on the site its forced me to try to bring my work up to the lvl net wants on this site

#41 2007-07-21 07:32:22

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Unworthy1:

Didn't see it as a personal attack, just a complaint about the way we were doing things that was unaccompanied by a suggestion for improvement.

One of my pet peeves is people who complain about things, but ONLY complain, and don't offer any ideas for making things better.  If you can't think of a better way to do it, then you have no right to complain.  Maybe the people who are *doing it* couldn't think of a better way, either.

I listen to all *constructive* criticism, and I entertain most ideas presented for improvements to the site.  Some aren't practical for one reason or another, and some I simply don't agree with.  But some I like, and they get incorporated.  But what I absolutely hate is when someone just decides to blast me (not saying you did) because they don't like the way I'm running things, without offering any form of help at all.

So... *shrugs*  Unfortunately, because of the way The Pub was formed, there *is* an "us versus them" mentality.  I don't support it or agree with it, but I'm not going to waste effort trying to squash it, either.  I've made no bones about my personal feelings for certain other webmasters... but that's personal, and has little to do with how I operate this site.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#42 2007-07-27 12:18:34

The Lurker
Tipsy
Website

Not that my opinion counts for much, but I don't think it's actually an "us versus them" mentality.
Like it's been pointed out several times, if you don't have standards then you have chaos. Sure, chaos can be fun in certain things, but look at sites like asstr. I've been there and there is a LOT of shit, sure there are some gems, but damn it's a mess sifting through the shit to find them.
So, do you let any and all post, thereby increasing the shit count and the webmaster work load? Or do you set standards to limit both?
The logical, and sane, choice is to set standards.
It isn't exactly an elitist or clique based attitude, it's desire and practicality.
Here's a thought...Publish your IM info all across the net. You might find some great people, but chances are you'll find a lot of dipshits. Instead you only give your IM info to people you want to have on your IM. Should that be considered snobbish?
Or maybe post your home address and invite whoever to stop by, because that's what this is. Net's house.
Now I can't speak for anyone else, but if you're in my house then you play by my rules. Doesn't matter how snobbish you think said rules are.
They are the rules, period.

Okay, I'm done rambling.

~ The Lurker ~

#43 2007-07-27 19:27:36

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Hey, no rambling in my house!  LOL  just kidding.  3dbig_smile

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#44 2007-07-27 22:14:56

CSquared
Wasted

But Net, without rambling, how many posts would there be on the forums? XD

CSquared

#45 2007-07-27 22:53:59

The Lurker
Tipsy
Website

Yeah, I sorta can't help but ramble. My mind is such a jumble of EVERYthing that it fights to all get out, but I think I eventually made the point I was trying to get at. *laughs*

~ The Lurker ~

#46 2007-07-31 02:54:15

TheNStorm
Inebriated

Hi, everybody, I'm... well... me. ~to self: there, the introduction's made; guess I'd better get to the point before I start rambling 3dsmile~
What about editors? Is there anything in store for them at The Pub? And if so, is it at all possible to couple a set of trusted editors with a set of potential authors (if such set of potential authors should ever come into existence) for an evaluation? A group of evaluating editors could set individual scores for 'pilot' stories, and judge literary competence. Because the judgment came from a group of people, it wouldn't be 'snobbish;' while the entire process of evaluation would 'sort' authors of competency and work ethic from those without either. Instead of making decisions such a group would only work properly in this setting by making recommendations.
    Because a council, group, board, or gaggle of editors would only judge literary ability, such a group should not be allowed decisis. Ultimately a judgment for entry to The Pub (to the best of my knowledge, according to previous discussion) comes from the ability of the person requesting entry to create ‘art,’ something completely un-mechanical, and non-tangible.  Such a flock of evaluating editors (Ha! Alliteration!) would only set a ‘standard’ of competency for writers; a standard with no relation to the potential authors’ personalities, the aesthetic (try spelling that one) qualities of their stories, or any of a thousand other things relating to their acceptance.
    As to the feasibility of getting such a swarm of editors together, I say only this (and at this point I think it’s enough- this post is getting a touch blustery): A determining council of editors would be able to function with any amount of editors between five and nine. Any more editors would cause the process of becoming an author here to last forever, and any less would allow personal feelings to get in the way of evaluation. Once again: it’s best to have trusted people fill positions like these to which I refer- not because of personal feelings clouding the credentials of applicants, but because otherwise such a group might make recommendations based on an ‘I like the warm fuzzy feelings in this story’ basis.
That said about entries to authorship here (whew!), I have only two more paragraphs I promise! 3dsmile
    From creating a competence sentry from editors it is but a small step to creating a guild of editors. From previous conversation I have seen that the ideas of establishing a guild of writers and of helping new writers are still floating around somewhere. An editors’ guild would go nicely with both of these things, as well as allow for a greater pool of people from which to select said sentry (Again!). A test similar to that NW has mentioned previously for editors could easily be used to govern membership.
    There, (finally) last paragraph; and I don’t think I could’ve outlined my suggestion better without a Venn diagram! I would like to (in keeping with the apparent tradition around here) now flinch and remind all ‘listening’ that this over-inflated bit of wind was only a suggestion; one probably not needed at this particular moment in time due to the fact that a thousand and one things press on all of us at each second, screaming for attention. My thinking, however, is that if I am to make a suggestion, I will do so completely, and not simply point in an arbitrary direction and say ‘I wanna go now! Now!’

With assurances that I’m not in the least as formal-sounding in real life, and thanks for listening,

The N Storm of Justice

I don't usually sign that way either, but this is the first time (I think) all of you have heard from me.

Last edited by TheNStorm (2007-07-31 02:59:03)

Forever life confuses me

#47 2007-07-31 03:31:54

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Hmmm.  Since the thing below your name says "Posts: 9", I don't think it's the first time we've heard from you.  3dsmile

Now, as to your notion of an editors council.  A few observations:

1. I tried to create a group of editors to help the authors when I ran EWP.  It failed miserably due to lack of interest.

2. You've sort of mentioned it, but... how do you select editors for this?  You mention the concept of a test for editors, and here, now, I will do something I don't normally do.  I will publicly criticize.

The vast majority of people who act as editors... shouldn't.  They aren't qualified to do it.  In the time that I ran EWP, there were probably 30 or more people who took the editing/proofreading test.  NO ONE passed it.  The test was NOT difficult; it was not designed to trick anyone.  It was a chapter of a story with a certain number of common errors intentionally inserted into it.  The job of the applicant:  Find the errors.  No one got better than I think it was 65%.

Most of the people I've seen give advice are either WAY too rigid in their application of grammar rules, (Rules are made to be broken, especially to serve drama) or they don't even know the rules.  I have seen editors who actually made their authors WORSE.  As far as actually being able to construct good sentences, paragraphs, and scenes... I have personally encountered only one person who was good at this (that wasn't an author).  He used to be MY editor.  I wish he still was, but he doesn't communicate with me anymore.

Now, I am NOT, by any means, saying that all editors suck.  I'm saying that most of them probably aren't good enough to be passing judgment on whether an author is of high enough quality to appear on any site.  Those that are... are probably already working their ass off helping authors, and don't have the time to act as an advisory board for this website.

3. While the writers guild, as I envisioned it, allows writers to help other writers... how do you get editors to help other editors?  I just don't see how that would work.  Essentially in a writers guild, the more experienced writers act as editors to the "younger" writers.  How would a more experienced editor help a "younger" one?

Anyway, those are just my observations, along with my one rant.  3dsmile 

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#48 2007-07-31 19:07:15

TheNStorm
Inebriated

I never was any good at starting posts, so I'll just launch in.

Reply:

1.    It's true that people lack interest, and it’s completely true that a project like the one I suggested isn’t feasible right now, but as an eventuality it could develop with a combination of community and growing authorship.
2.    Average ‘American English’ may suck. However in all of the net someone must exist with both knowledge and interest… I think. I hope. I… never mind, you could be right. Still, though, if numbers start picking up there may be sufficient numbers to gather at least five such people together. I don’t see the glass as mostly empty, it’s just only one fourth full.
3.    Maybe guild isn’t the right word: repository seems more appropriate. Still, within a guild, editors could improve their abilities to deal with the English language. ‘Younger’ editors could ask ‘older’ editors about story sections they’re not sure of. Perhaps (I might be a touch optimistic here too…) eventually editors could look at editing as a learning experience, a communication thing that goes on between authors and editors. Perhaps such an organization could eventually take the mindset away from editors of knowing everything there is to know about writing… and perhaps that change could do much to improve both editing and writing overall.
     And now for the five words that everyone seems fond of saying in story forums (at least when they’re in danger of finding someone that might possibly disagree with them): it is only a suggestion. I hate to make suggestions like these when I have almost no knowledge about operating a web site, or about how much work I’m proposing for other people 3dsmile, but I have little else to offer than my own skill at editing. In any case, this suggestion isn’t meant for the now, exactly. As I said in the suggestion itself, I have no idea of timeframes for implementation, as they depend on a thousand things I don’t know about. Suggestions are made for consideration and thought; they are not fully fledged plans or decisions- these I cannot make here.
Umm… something that sounds awesome as a closing for this post
The N Storm

Last edited by TheNStorm (2007-07-31 19:09:01)

Forever life confuses me

#49 2007-07-31 20:09:50

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Wow, man!  I'm not crazy about the middle of your post, but that opening and closing stuff... WOW!  3dbig_smile

Seriously, I understand where you're coming from.  I'd love to have an editorial pool to help the authors.  It's just that, in my experience, there aren't, in fact, enough qualified people interested to do the job. 

Let's put it in perspective.  When I left EWP in 2005, we were getting, on average, 6000 chapter downloads a day.  This does not count people who may have come to just look at the forum or check on updates; this is strictly a count of the number of times some chapter or other was downloaded from the site.

In all those people visiting, perhaps 30 offered their time to help the authors as an editor.  That's 1 out of every 200 people, or .5%, who would have an interest.  Of that .5%, 0% met the minimum 75% required on the test to actually become an editor.  Setting that aside for the moment... We are nearing the 1000-member mark here at The Pub, which would, conceivably, mean there are 5 people here willing to act as editors.

But are they qualified?  Beats me...

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#50 2007-08-01 00:07:41

TheNStorm
Inebriated

Too true, I suppose. Optimism and coffee go hand in hand, and when the caffeine gets low I can't help but disbelieve that there might be enough editors. Still, who can tell what the future holds? (as somewhere in a secret base an alarm sounds due to the corny nature of that last comment) Ehh...

So...

How's it going?

-The N Storm

Forever life confuses me

Board footer