The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-10 20:37:28

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Forum "New Items" time

I'm not sure if this is an issue or just a setting thing.  I have noticed that despite going away for over an hour then coming back to the site that items showing as new the first visit were still doing so.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#2 2006-12-10 20:39:42

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Re: Forum "New Items" time

Okay, sorry I guess I didn't estimate my time correctly.  Looking at the difference in time stamps make it about 45 minutes.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#3 2006-12-10 22:00:25

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

And the site keeps you "logged in" for an hour.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2006-12-10 22:11:58

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Okay that explains it.  That is one quirk I don't like about this particular forum system in that when I read something it still shows as new.  I realize short or modifying the core code of the system there is not much you can do about it so I will live with it.

Thanks for letting me know.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#5 2006-12-10 23:34:27

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Every forum system I know of does this system in exactly the same way.  It compares your last visit time to the posting time.  And none of them update your last visit time until you've been gone long enough.  On other sites, the "you are here" time is an hour, to allow for people to read stories and remain logged in.  On other sites, the time is much, much shorter.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#6 2006-12-10 23:44:52

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

I remember with phpBB if you read a post it would remove the "New" indication.  Perhaps this was a unique feature of that system.  I understand there are limitations inherent to all systems.  Like I said I understand this is normal behavior for PunBB and can work with it.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#7 2006-12-11 02:42:42

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

Just go through all the new ones and then click the "Mark all posts as read" button and you should be fine.

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#8 2006-12-11 02:44:54

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

That's what I do to work with it.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#9 2006-12-11 02:51:47

Black Rose
Evil Bar Wench

Also, if you go back and forth between the Search Results page and the topics... if at the end you hit the refresh button, you will see anything new be moved up to the top of the page and then you can look at those.  Voila!

Black Rose

"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins." – Neil Gaiman

#10 2007-01-10 07:05:24

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

I have a recommendation for the site. You have an Author's List and an Artist's List, how about A STORY list? So, If I know what story I want, I don't have to go to the Author's List, then to the author, then to the story. With the stories list, I could just go to the list, click and go right to the story.

Come to think of it, you could just call it a "Content List" and list both stories and art on it. Maybe find some way to list them so that someone can tell which are stories and which are artwork.

Last edited by Jefferson (2007-01-10 07:07:15)

#11 2007-01-10 07:46:01

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Go to the Search Engine, and enter a title.

----
Facebook page

#12 2007-01-10 08:36:41

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Okay, I'll be honest.

I hadn't thought to look under "search the site." I knew it was there,  I just hadn't bothered to look (Give me to Dv8N and let him beat and rob me again.)  The search engine looks great but I still think there should be a way to get a list of, at least, a majority of the stories.

Maybe I've just gotten used to "other sites."

Maybe I'm pampered, spoiled even.

Maybe I'm just so lazy I don't want to have to go author to author looking for a story. (of course, this arguement is now null and void with the search engine. Phooey! I never get to whine anymore.) 3dsmile

Just an idea.

#13 2007-01-10 09:22:09

Imagineer
Wasted

Jefferson -- for what it's worth, there's also the Favorites list. Once you've found a story you like, click the Add to Favorites button on the story page. To see your Favorites list, from the main menu, click Site Content, then Favorite Items. There's also a Favorite Contributors list.

Board footer