The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#26 2007-01-06 19:59:13

dv8n
Wasted

Re: An author list

oh well since you put it that way...yeah I see your point...huh

I mean who would have to read the story to correct it...we already established I'm lazy ( so your arguing a moot point)

what's really the problem?  You sure do put alot of effort into arguments that really miss the point.

:lol:

#27 2007-01-06 23:33:27

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Uh, no... my point was that properly proofreading something is well beyond just reading it for enjoyment.  The fact that you don't know this discredits you as a proofreader.

My *point* was to make sure everyone understood your true capabilities as a proofreader.  I have found lots of people who offer their proofreading "skills" to people... but have found damned few that actually have the skills to do the job.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#28 2007-01-06 23:49:23

dv8n
Wasted

dv8n wrote:

I'm not sure if I qualify as an editor but I'm pretty good with spelling and some grammer ( not great tho) and I could give you some input if you can't find anybody else

I established that with my first post..everything after that was you busting my balls for some reason

Net Wolf wrote:

*smirk*

Never trust someone who calls themselves an editor, claims to be good with spelling, and then willingly types the word "tho" for "though" ANYWHERE.

Net Wolf

Net Wolf wrote:

So... you're too lazy to type "ugh", and you want to spend your time proofreading?  Perhaps you want to consider the amount of work involved in proofreading.  It is rather a lot of work, if done right.

Net Wolf

Net Wolf wrote:

1.  "ROFLMAO" vs. "Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off" = 7 vs. 40 characters, an almost 1:6 ratio.  "Tho" vs. "Though" = 3 vs. 6 characters, a 1:2 ratio.  Massive difference.
2.  More importantly: "ROFLMAO" is an abbreviation.  "Tho" is a misspelling.
3.  No, you would not be "reading" a story.  You would be correcting a story.  The two aren't remotely similar tasks if done properly.

Net Wolf

...IF your point was to check my "skills"  why not ask for my credentials?     ...and I'll tell you I have none

...IF you are asking why I think I can do it?  Then ask...it's alot less words    I said I would try...I have never done this before and I told neitherspace that...I would like to try, IF and only if neitherspace can't find someone more qualified ARE YOU SAYING YOU WANT TO ...if so then do it....if not let me try

like I told neitherspace IF I find that I suck at this I'll do better and IF my best isn't good enough then "It's not like he can't go elsewhere"   And I'll know I suck   3dbig_smile

Last edited by dv8n (2007-01-07 00:15:56)

#29 2007-01-07 02:43:57

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Except how is someone who has professed to need an editor (thus clearly does not know the right way from the wrong way) supposed to know how good or bad you are?

In my initial post, I was not speaking to you, PERIOD.  I was speaking to Neitherspace, in the form of advice.  You aided me in that advice by proving you're not a qualified proofreader.  Thank you for the assistance.

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#30 2007-01-08 00:58:01

dv8n
Wasted

well you did bring up a good question about trust and ability but just because were talking to neitherspace doesn't meaning you weren't coming down on me for no reason..so no it still doesn't mean I can't read...

...I was simply offering to help someone who was asking for it.....you seem to have a problem with that tho

#31 2007-01-08 05:14:01

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

dv8n wrote:

well (should be capitalized) you did bring up a good question about trust and ability but just because (missing word: you) were talking to neitherspace doesn't meaning (incorrect ending, you meant "mean") you weren't coming down on me for no reason..(ellipsis contains three periods, and should have a space after it) so no it still doesn't mean I can't read...  (No, but apparently you can't write... )

...I was simply offering to help someone who was asking for it.....you seem to have a problem with that tho

Okay, fine.

Yes, I DO have a problem with someone who can't even proofread their own forum posts offering to proofread a story for someone.  I was offering TO NEITHERSPACE my opinion of your ability to actually improve his writing.  If you don't like the fact that I, as an author, would give my opinion to another author on the value of an offer to proofread for them, then you are on the wrong website.  Let me make this perfectly clear: the contributors will always be my first, second, and third consideration.  The rest of the world comes in somewhere after that.  As such, I will do things that protect the contributors (and potential contributors, since Neitherspace doesn't have an account here) from things that aren't actually helpful to them.  Don't like that?  Then don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#32 2007-01-08 09:23:31

dv8n
Wasted

Net Wolf wrote:

Okay, fine.

Yes, I DO have a problem with someone who can't even proofread their own forum posts(sorry I didn't realize I was back in school being tested right now) offering to proofread a story for someone.  I was offering TO NEITHERSPACE my opinion of your ability to actually improve his writing.  If you don't like the fact that I, as an author, would give my opinion (it is america) to another author on the value of an offer to proofread for them, then you are on the wrong website(Sir in all due respect I come here to read and socialize not pimp my crappy skills).  Let me make this perfectly clear: the contributors will always be my first, second, and third consideration( As they most certainly should be).  The rest of the world comes in somewhere after that.  As such, I will do things that protect the contributors (and potential contributors, since Neitherspace doesn't have an account here) from things that aren't actually helpful to them.  Don't like that?(I never said I didn't like that)  Then don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Net Wolf

Actually Net Wolf... I don't have a problem with you protecting your contributers (or potentials)... I think it very cool of you.

It's too bad more people don't try to protect other's from sorry peices of shit... that said I have in no way been dishonest in the stating of my ability and even pointed out that I'm unskilled... I have said it from the first, I'm not a proofreader or editor... but I can read and I can help until someone better volunteers..

...What's the worse I could do?  WAIT don't answer that it's probably pretty bad   3dbig_smile  What's the worst permenant damage I could do?

Still my only concern was trying to help someone who asked for it, and I would do that to the best of my limited ability... Sir. (Oh by the way thanks for the corrections to my forum it'll help me learn how to proofread)  3dsmile

...And would it be presumptious of me to point out that I've never noticed this pub has a door that would hit my ass going in or out... 3dbig_smile

You have a good day and night, Net Wolf...  Like I said before I just wanted to help.

#33 2007-01-08 21:11:39

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

for the record I'm actually looking for a second editor

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#34 2007-01-08 21:28:21

dv8n
Wasted

Ya know...I want to apologize Neitherspace I got so wrapped up in talking to Net Wolf about having a chance to TRY...That I forgot the real point.

The fact that you were looking for an actual editor... Sorry about that, I'm a fuck-up sometimes  3dbig_smile

...Are there any qualified volunteers to help Neitherspace?

Since you had a problem with non-skilled proofreaders, Net Wolf, You got a suggestion?

...And I'll shut up now since we all know I'm un-qualified  3dsmile    ...among other things 3dlol

Last edited by dv8n (2007-01-08 21:33:10)

#35 2007-01-09 03:22:14

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Screw Qualified! How bout willing, so far thats just you D (I would like a second one, as most of the time even with 2 editors most authors still have typos).

Yea!
A whole post with no typos. *does the happy dance*

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#36 2007-01-09 03:33:08

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Um.... Neitherspace?   You should stop dancing now...  3dsmile

As to a suggestion.  Unfortunately, when I was running EWP and was trying to find qualified proofreaders, not a single person scored higher than 60% on the proofreading test... and it was not a very difficult test.

I don't know how you find qualified proofreaders.  I am a qualified proofreader, but I don't have the time.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#37 2007-01-09 07:33:45

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

What does that "Proofreading test" entail, Net? If you've got it handy, could you send it to me. I doubt I'll pass... I suck at punctuation, but I would interested in at least trying it.

And, like DV8N, I may be unqualified but I can definitly catch a misspelled  or mistyped word or note a misplaced period, if you're really desperate, Neitherspace. (I'm willing, if not able.) 3dbig_smile

Just for pity's sake, I have done a VERY SMALL amount of proofreading for friends and such.

I doubt anyone who saw the first version of "Summer Roadtrip" would want me as an editor/proofreader. It really wasn't pretty. 3dsmile

Last edited by Jefferson (2007-01-09 07:35:32)

#38 2007-01-09 15:01:37

dv8n
Wasted

um..Hey Net... If you got a copy handy, like jefferson said, can I get a copy too?

I'd like to see how bad I suck... or don't. 
(for my own knowledge)    3dbig_smile

...And neitherspace I'm still willing to proofread also.   I just don't think you should settle, unless nobody better comes along.

#39 2007-01-15 08:10:53

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Ok to get this thread back on topic check out who just found

http://storiesonline.net/auth/Trojan_85

Trojan 85=enterprise1701-d

#40 2007-01-15 21:35:40

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Um... could you state your evidence for making this connection, please?

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#41 2007-01-15 23:30:07

nightsecho
Wasted

my guess would be that enterprise1701 wrote stone of the phalanx

looking at you with wide eyes from the darkness

#42 2007-01-15 23:37:39

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yes, Enterprise did write SotP, however, if you visit the first chapter of SotP that he supposedly wrote, it reads as follows: Stone of the Phalanx by Trojan_85 With Enterprise 1701 D".  Which I personally know to be complete bullshit, because Enterprise had no help writing SotP.

Further, E's Yahoo group makes it clear that this moron is NOT Enterprise, but some guy trying to rip content from other people and post it as his own.  I had someone try doing this to me once on SOL.  I'm sure E will take care of it with Lazeez.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#43 2007-01-16 11:03:48

dv8n
Wasted

That sucks...does that happen alot?  people ripping stories off...Can Enterprise do something about it?

..just curious I have no idea about this stuff... Is the copyright laws the same and all?

#44 2007-01-16 13:11:24

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

DUDE thats f'd up! SOTP is one of e's best know stories (it's also his first story as far as i know) I apologise when i saw that storie on sol i just assumed....*slinks away silently*

#45 2007-01-16 16:41:19

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

dv8n:

E's already been in contact with Lazeez.  I'd expect the story to be pulled soon, if not the guy's entire account.  Legally, I don't know what protections he has, given that E isn't an American, and I don't know what the laws are where he lives.  In America, an item is copyrighted as soon as you finish writing it down, so yes, there is legal protection.  (Sending it to the Library of Congress merely registers your copyright, it doesn't "create" your copyright.)

Neitherspace:

This is why you should always check on "name changes".  E doesn't write erotica anymore, which is what surprised the hell out of me when I saw the other story there.

Net Wolf

----
Facebook page

#46 2007-01-16 19:57:25

siath
Wasted

Wonder who wrote the other story...

Siath

#47 2007-01-16 22:11:44

WarLord
Wasted
Website

Net Wolf wrote:

dv8n:

E's already been in contact with Lazeez.  I'd expect the story to be pulled soon, if not the guy's entire account.  Legally, I don't know what protections he has, given that E isn't an American, and I don't know what the laws are where he lives.  In America, an item is copyrighted as soon as you finish writing it down, so yes, there is legal protection.  (Sending it to the Library of Congress merely registers your copyright, it doesn't "create" your copyright.)

Net Wolf

Greetings

Many/most countries have a treaty reciprocal agreement with US to honor each others copyrights.  The US copyright office has a list on their website. 

Enjoy the journey

Warlord

"A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: 1. What am I trying to say? 2. What words will express it? 3. What image or idiom will make it clearer? 4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?" - George Orwell, Politics and the English Language, 1946

#48 2007-01-17 11:27:39

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Having been following this forum, I went to SOL to see if the story had been removed. The story is STILL THERE as of 6:30Am but the credit now reads:

Stone of the Phalanx
by Enterprise1701 D

With Enterprise 1701 D

Trojan is no longer listed as an author. His account is still active, I assume, and his other story "Avatar" is still listed on the site.

#49 2007-01-17 23:24:29

nightsecho
Wasted

he posted a new story today

looking at you with wide eyes from the darkness

#50 2007-01-17 23:29:33

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

*shrug*  I gather E is a little busy right now with some life changes.  I'm sure he's either satisfied, or will get around to dealing with it soon enough.

Net

----
Facebook page

Board footer