Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-17 17:56:02

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Do you speed read?

And if so, why?

I run into more and more people these days who either claim to speed-read outright, or when they tell me how fast they've gone through a chapter of mine, I know they have to have speed-read it.

So, here's my question:  Do you speed read?  In this context, speed-reading would be considered any technique by which you do not read every word in the sentence on a regular basis.  (We all occasionally skip reading "the", I imagine... 3dsmile )

If you DO speed-read... WHY do you speed read?  Were you taught to read this way in school?  Did you seek out a way to read faster?  Why, if you are reading for enjoyment, are you shortening your length of enjoyment by moving through the material so quickly?  Have you ever considered learning to slow-read, if you have always been a speed-reader?

I am not a speed-reader.  Nor would I wish to be, now that I am out of school.  I read for enjoyment.  The sooner I am done with the book, the sooner my enjoyment ends, so I see no point in rushing the process.  As I read, I actually speak, mentally, each word.  That is, I am "reading aloud" in my brain.  This makes me a very slow reader... and I'm perfectly okay with that.  It is mildly infuriating that it takes some people less than ten minutes to read through something that took me weeks to write.  Ultimately, I wonder if the (apparent) increase in speed-readers doesn't stem from the current short-attention-span nature of our society.  It seems like, in order to want to spend all day doing a single thing, like reading a (single!) book, you have to be over thirty, at the very least... but more likely over 40...  This is, of course, just my perception.

So, care to chime in?

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2012-06-17 18:28:12

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

Re: Do you speed read?

By your definition of speed reading, I do not speed read. I however to read rather fast. I often can finish reading an 800 page book in about 8-10 hours depending on the complexity of the words in the story. I do speak the words out loud in my mind as well as I read, and I also imagine the whole story in my mind. I will often taken a break from reading something to just let my imagination roll over in the proverbial hay with it. Often taking it to new places and on different tangents. I have done with your CAMP story several times actually. However those breaks often do not last for more then 10-30 minutes.

I have actually tried to slow my reading down a few times, and I find it just gives me headaches. As I have a selection of books constantly at my finger tips, I do not worry about finishing one story. I also know if I really liked the story that I will return to and re-read it again. I do read straight through most times though, even with breaks mixed in most books. Spending most of the day just reading is quite a luxury. I am nearly thirty so maybe I fall into your grouping?

I do see however that some people speed read as a means to an end, the end to finish something and move onto the next. I know a fare few people who "Speed Read" that will read twelve books in a week and remember around 60% of what they read. Which is cool, but at the same time what about that other 40%. I enjoy writing and reading, and I think whatever speed you do it at is alright as long as you garnish full retention and enjoyment out of it.

That is just my opinion though.

In the dark your lips taste like sweet nectar, and in the line they tease me endlessly.

#3 2012-06-18 17:34:38

WarLord
Wasted
Website

Interesting question

I read fast.  Really really fast if my War Lady is to be believed. 

But not techically "speed reading."  I've never taken a class or seminar or however one learns whatever technique is involved I just read.  I have an excellent memory (even now) so my comprehension and retention is high so I do remember what I've read.   

I guess the short answer is that I've always been a prodigious voracious reader since I was very young and over time "this" is how fast I've come to read

"A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: 1. What am I trying to say? 2. What words will express it? 3. What image or idiom will make it clearer? 4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?" - George Orwell, Politics and the English Language, 1946

#4 2012-06-23 10:00:15

Colorado
Inebriated

Reading for enjoyment is much different than when I'm speed reading an illiterates excel spreadsheet that all he would have had to post were totals. And in college for last second skim through the textbook chapters that hadn't yet been read before the final exams.

#5 2012-06-25 06:29:44

shrotycg
Tipsy

I read for enjoyment and do not speed read. Never learned how and do not want to. I read aloud in my mind and visualize the scene as well. It is all of the little details that make up great story. Though are times when the pace of my reading does increase. It increases to such an extent that I start to lose compression of what I am reading. This is usually during an extended action scene or the build up to some major revelation. When this happens I stop reading close my eyes take a couple of deep breathes and then go back to the beginning of a paragraph before it started.

Board footer