The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-06 23:59:01

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Graphics Card Advice, please?

I'm looking for some advice from someone who really knows nVidia graphics cards.

I have to buy two new video cards, and I'm looking for suggestions for the proper price/performance tradeoff.  I'm currently vacillating between the GT 240 and the GT 430.

The two computers in question will not be used for HEAVY gaming, but they will be used for some gaming.  (LAoW's current interest, for reference, is Overlord: Raising Hell.  She also likes City of Heroes.  This is the "level" of gaming we're talking about.  My gaming need will be to run something like the Unreal Engine 3 Development Kit, to possibly use it to create my walkthrough for Woodward.)

I do a lot of 3d modeling work, which I realize is not usually GPU intensive, but OpenGL is the usual display scheme for the program interfaces.

We do watch a lot of movies on our computers... and I run a dual-monitor setup, so dual-monitor capability is mandatory.  (I've been using it long enough to know I do not want to live without it.)

Having said all that, if you have advice, let me hear it.  If you have a question before you can give advice, ask.  (Don't just ask a question if you don't plan on giving advice, please.)

Thank you for your time.  I look forward to your advice.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2012-01-07 06:04:48

dreaw
Inebriated

Re: Graphics Card Advice, please?

hey u should of just asked me

the card doesn't  really matter its the amount of memory it has
to run udk u need at least  a card with 1gb of memory hope that helps

its as easy and simple as i can explain   in laymen s   terms

because  i work in the I.T industry

and what are the other specs of the computers

there is a site  that would help but i cant find it atm

try PC  powerplay.com   3dsmile

#3 2012-01-07 06:39:08

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Actually, it very much DOES matter, otherwise my current video card would run lots more stuff than it does.  And you say "at least" 1gb of memory, but, except for VERY high-end graphics cards, 1gb of memory is the top of the line.  Hell, the testers at Epic aren't even using 1gb graphics cards.  (They're using 768MB cards)

And gaming is, as I tried to make abundantly clear in the original post, not the top concern.  Whereas you claim I "must have" at least 1gb of memory, Epic doesn't even make a recommendation about graphics card memory.  They only stipulate it must be Shader Model 3 (which both the GT240 and the GT430 are, obviously).  A "not perfect, but acceptable" level of performance is just fine with me when it comes to gaming.  I am even willing to turn off features, as long as they don't significantly impact game play.

The specs on the rest of the system are not relevant, as they cannot be changed.  This question is about price-per-performance of video cards.  I am looking for the "best bang for my buck".  For instance:  The raw MHz numbers on the GT430 suggest it is by far a better card, but nVidia's "relative performance rating" suggests that the GT240 is actually a higher-performance model.  This makes no sense to me, hence my request for advice.  Also, the GT430 is listed as a "mainstream" card, whereas the GT240 is listed as a "Performance" card.  Again, this confuses me, because the GT430 has faster MHz ratings, and equivalent CUDA streams. (Not that I really grasp CUDA streams, mind you.)  In short, things that used to indicate which one was better... apparently no longer do.

I am not computer illiterate.  I am not even hardware illiterate.  I have, however, been out of the hardware market for several years.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2012-01-07 07:58:56

dreaw
Inebriated

well you should also know that epic use's a mainframe for all there testing

and them saying 768MB  just means thats what a normal game  of ut3 uses

for instance i can run everything you say on a cheap attion 260 with 1gb

ps attion is a Japanese brand  i got it from Thailand  for $10

#5 2012-01-07 18:30:28

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

*sigh*

Here is Epic's "Recommended PC Hardware Specs for Developers":

Windows 7 64-bit
    2.0+ GHz multi-core processor
    8 GB System RAM
    NVIDIA 8000 series or higher graphics card
    Plenty of HDD space

You might notice no mention of graphics card memory.  Your concern is apparently for "mega-top-speed-must-run-at-70fps" performance.  I will probably never actually play a GAME with the UDK: I'm attempting to create a walkthrough, which I MIGHT, many years from now, turn into a game.  As such, if it operates above 24fps, I'm perfectly fine, because the movement will remain smooth.

There are many more concerns involved than just this game, as well, as I have said repeatedly.  Your focus on this one item is... not really helpful.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#6 2012-01-10 19:20:17

Colorado
Inebriated

Eric I'm in the market for a new pair of graphics cards as well however I am looking for I want my games beautiful(despite the overheating it causes) and I'm probably going to go with the Nvidia 560m but thats the high end one I'd suggest if you want a site that does a lot of testing for graphics cards on games check out http://www.notebookcheck.net it is how I decided on the 560m.

#7 2012-01-10 19:46:16

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Thanks, but as I have said over and over, gaming is not the primary concern.

Eric Storm

PS:  Further, this issue has been resolved off-board by consulting with a trusted and computer-knowledgeable friend.

----
Facebook page

Board footer