•  » Daddycums
  •  » Talon Saga, Book 5: Fall of the Paladin, The

#1 2016-02-29 19:42:07

Bridget
Barmaid
Website

Talon Saga, Book 5: Fall of the Paladin, The

The Talon Saga, Book 5: Fall of the Paladin

Talon lost his memory in the Dungeon of the Forgotten.  He escaped that acursed place with the young girl Leyli, only to be set upon by bandits who wounded him and kidnapped her to satisfy their foul lust.  Now he has only one thing on his mind: to rescue her from the bandits at any cost, even if he has to slay every last one of them.  It seems an impossible task, but Talon has a strength not shared by any man: he has the power to transform at will into a demon.

Pursued by a mighty paladin of Kaul as well as the enigmatic Haunted Woman, Talon traverses the valley of Sorathale, growing ever closer to the fortress of the Black Dart Clan where Leyli is imprisoned.  Before his journey is through, lives will be changed forever, and Talon will discover allies where he never thought to look.

Please read The Mystic Wolf Pub Critiquing Guide.

SITE CONTENT POLICY:  The administrator of this site will not reject, remove, or censor any story posted to this site based on the story's content.  No story shall be removed except for purely technical reasons (which will be worked out with the author so that the story can be reposted as quickly as possible), or due to a direct order from the site's hosting provider, a law-enforcement entity, or the story's owner.

#2 2016-02-29 19:55:30

Daddycums
Wasted

Re: Talon Saga, Book 5: Fall of the Paladin, The

Book 5 of 8.

Note that this book is a little darker than the most of the others in the saga.  There are some rather disturbing scenes, but rest assured that they're necessary for the plot.  And this is still an action adventure story.

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#3 2016-03-04 19:44:56

Daddycums
Wasted

The last chapters of Book 5 are now uploaded.

Enjoy!

#4 2016-03-05 11:06:42

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Enjoyed reading this book. Kaul's secert did suprise me.

#5 2016-03-06 06:30:53

Daddycums
Wasted

thehilz wrote:

Enjoyed reading this book. Kaul's secert did suprise me.

Yes, it's not what you would expect.  I had the secret planned long before I started writing the Talon Saga; the world of Nubilia is far larger than this story.

As for why I chose to make that revelation in the Talon Saga, I just thought Krylda needed to reach a state where everything was laid bare before her in order to decide what path to follow.  I hope I did a good job explaining in the story why Kaul's "deception" is compatible with his role as God of Justice.

#6 2016-03-06 09:37:52

thehilz
Completely Blotto

I saw it as Kaul not correcting people on their assumption more than deceiving them. At least for the masses.

#7 2016-03-06 09:43:50

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Daddycums wrote:

I had the secret planned long before I started writing the Talon Saga; the world of Nubilia is far larger than this story.

Does this mean we can expect/hope for future stories set in Nubilia?

#8 2016-03-07 15:30:26

Daddycums
Wasted

thehilz wrote:

Daddycums wrote:

I had the secret planned long before I started writing the Talon Saga; the world of Nubilia is far larger than this story.

Does this mean we can expect/hope for future stories set in Nubilia?

Yes.

In fact, I've already written a story set in Nubilia that I'm planning on turning into a series of short stories.  I haven't posted it here yet because I wanted to write a couple more stories in the series first, but the Talon Saga has been taking up most of my time.

I also have a number of other stories in mind, but there's no guarantee that I'll ever get around to writing them.  My grand vision is something like the recent comic book movies, specifically the Avengers.  A story or two for individual characters then a story that brings them all together as a group.  And yes, Talon would be part of that group.

No promises though.

#9 2016-03-08 19:34:49

thehilz
Completely Blotto

I hope you do get a chance to do that. Sounds amazing

#10 2016-04-24 16:49:23

Daddycums
Wasted

Note that I just discovered a couple of embarrassing mistakes I made in Books 2 and 5, specifically some chapters where I didn't properly close italics tags, which, depending upon your what you read the stories with, might render the rest of the chapter in italics.

I uploaded the fixed chapters.  If you downloaded the story previously and intend to read it later, I recommend re-downloading Books 2 and 5.  Or at least Book 2 Chapter 8 and Book 5 Chapters 4 and 6.

#11 2017-05-04 00:38:58

Pureleaf
Inebriated

As a follow-up to my comment in the previous book… BLOND.
I really don’t think I’m correct in my wild guess about Leyli, but after torturing me for a whole entire book, a mere six short paragraphs in, BLOND HAIR. Unfortunately we see later that this is incorrect, as the haunted girl has become the haunted woman, and Summer (probably) isn’t Leyli. Of course later on we find out that the haunted woman is Elindra, and I wonder where on earth Summer is…
Another question: are all demons ageless and immortal? I admit I had forgotten about Summer Red since her betrayal, and when the demon master admitted that Talon traveled with two young girls, that realization hit me that Summer Red may be Leyli, but I don’t think she is.
Kauls seduction of her (spoilers) paladins was a really interesting touch, something pretty unique. I’ve been meaning to comment on your first and last title chapters, awakening and slumber. While it’s quite clever, seeing these in each book, it seems like a clear reference to the demon within Talon, who will be awakening and slumbering.
Another thing that stood out to me was the phrase, “[Krylda] was honorable. Too honorable. She was so devoted to justice that she had no room for mercy.” It’s rather interesting, because usually the themes of mercy and justice are not usually juxtaposed as opposites.
You mention how this book is darker than the rest, but I really appreciated that. Not because I enjoyed reading about the rapes that occurred, but more specifically to show that in this world of magic and real gods, the universe still doesn’t care. It is still just as horrible a place.
Talon often seemed a little too blessed, and a little too optimistic in the world. I like seeing his rage, unbridled by any form of morality or civility. I’m really curious where Talon goes from here. This book showed how much destruction he is capable of when someone he cares about is threatened, but he still upholds his rule about not harming women. I’d really like for that rule to be tested, even more than when his torturer appeared, see what it would take to break Talon. Who knows, maybe I will get to see that in the next few books.
I’m curious what kind of hero Talon will be at the end of this series. We have a biography written about him, by various figures, so I assume he must become of great(er) import rather soon. I wonder what the final sentence of that biography will read.

#12 2017-06-04 05:32:36

Daddycums
Wasted

All demons in Nubilia are immortal, at least in the sense that they don't age.  Obviously they can be killed, but they'll never die of natural causes.

Yes, the first and last titles of the books are deliberate.  They're usually more literal than symbolic.  At the beginning of each book someone wakes up, and at the end, someone falls asleep.  Sometimes this frames the book in a natural progression.  Book 4 is a perfect example.  In Chapter 1, Talon awakens from his memory loss, and in Chapter 10 he nearly falls victim to the eternal slumber of death.

Talon does seem just a little more "nice" than his heritage as a demon would suggest.  We do see his dark side occasionally (My two favorites are when he releases the demon to fight the Guardian in Book 2, and when he kills the Black Dart bandits at the end of Book 5).  But most of the time, he acts like a good guy.  Part of that is due to training.  He was trained to be, essentially, the ideal man in the Shadow World.  But (spoiler) you'll discover there's a little more to it than that, in Book 8.

Yes, Talon will become very important by the end of the series.  You noticed the quotations at the beginning of each book, but here's a hint: go back and read the authors of those quotations again.

• Index
  •  » Daddycums
  •  » Talon Saga, Book 5: Fall of the Paladin, The

Board footer