The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-02 00:47:14

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

State of the Website, 2015-16

Well, it's that time again.  Time for me to look back, and then forward, to reflect on where we've been, and speculate on where we're going (hopefully).

LOOKING BACK:
The Website:

In 2015, The Pub gained 501 new users.  That's about 1 1/3 new users every day.  We also gained three new authors last year:  Wolfstar, kingcerberus, and Letum.  Welcome to all of you.

I was unable to get any work done toward a new version of the site.  This depresses and shames me, as I promised I would work on it.

My Writing:

2015 was a pathetic writing year.  Medical problems, financial difficulties, and loads of stress prevented me from being in the mood to write terribly often.  As such, I managed a whopping 66,000 words.  I completed no books, and only three chapters.  I started only three chapters (not exactly the three chapters I finished, either.)  Needless to say, I have completely lost the head start I had on the Woodward series.  (NOW you understand, I hope, why I refused to accelerate the posting schedule.)

My Personal Life:

Ever had things get simultaneously better and worse?  We had that happen this year.  We got a new source of income that really helped out: it allowed us to replace a 15-year-old car, and get some much-needed home improvement done.  Unfortunately, all this really did was lead us to understand how much more needed to be done, and to realize that the new income would be eaten up entirely by trying to fix things.  Not to mention increased medical expenses this year put a bigger strain on our finances than ever before.  Keeshaba was in the hospital twice in 2015, once for an infection, and once to have surgery.  I have been struggling with dental issues and foot issues for months.  In short, though we have more income, we have no greater financial stability than before.

Are you now as depressed as I am?  Okay, then.  Let's turn our view to the future.

LOOKING AHEAD:
The Website:

At this point, is anyone going to actually believe me if I say I'm going to try to get the new version of the site finished?  Well, I'm going to.  Try, that is.  I make no promises about success: we see how well I've done so far.  But the current site is aged and in serious need of replacement.  I'm planning the new site to use more interactivity, to be a little more friendly to use, but I've still got to actually get the work done.

My Writing:

Who knows?  I'm keeping my writing quota at 250,000 words.  That's a mere 683 words per day.  It sounds like a pittance, until you realize you don't get to take a break with that amount: you've got to sit and write those 683 words every single day of the year.  It's tough, at least for me.  I will complete Woodward Year 6 this year, and make significant progress on Year 7.  I also hope to finish Artifacts 2.  Anything else would be pushing my luck and tempting fate, so I will make no claims about other writing.  I will, however, point out that I've been thinking a lot about CASS lately.

My Personal Life:

Climbing our way out of debt is the theme for 2016.  I'm hoping to make significant strides in paying off credit cards, dental bills, and the cost of the vehicle.

I'm also hoping to improve my health... but that's never happened in the past, so I'm not going to hold my breath.  (As that would definitely not improve my health.)

My Usual Plea:

It is at this point every year when I remind you all that, without your help and support, life would become very difficult for us.  We truly need the donations you so generously provide.  I've had to up the monthly donation goal to $600 this year, because we've lost one of our other sources of financial support.  Please, if you have the means to make a donation without harming yourself, do so.  We will be very grateful.

To those who made donations in 2015:  Thank you very much.  Your assistance was invaluable in helping us keep things running.

I now return you to whatever you were doing that was so utterly boring that you had to come to the website to find something to do...

3dbig_smile

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2016-01-03 04:56:34

Josh.Bond
Inebriated

Re: State of the Website, 2015-16

Eric,
I hope you get to feeling better. I truly empathize with you about trying to get out of credit card debt and debt in general. I and my wife wish you a great new year and will be awaiting each new publish you put out. We do try to send out a donation when we can. Luckily last year we were able to pay off a couple of credit cards and are working our way down on the rest. I have been a fan of your work from the first time I read Camp on MCstories.com. Woodward is my favorite right now, but I also really like artifacts.

My this year bring all that you are hoping for and no nasty surprises to bite you in the backside.

Josh and Elizabeth Bond

#3 2016-01-03 06:20:01

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: State of the Website, 2015-16

Thanks.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

Board footer