The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-12 08:13:10

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The End of CAMP

Warning, this will be slightly rant-ish.

When I announced a few months back that the conclusion of CAMP: Sibling Rivalry also meant the closure of the CAMP universe, I admit that I expected a bit of unrest.  For reasons that are mostly beyond me, people find this story... "compelling".

When the unrest never materialized, I counted my blessings and moved on, hoping to put CAMP behind me and concentrate on good stories.

Unfortunately, what has happened instead is a slow trickle of people asking me why there won't be any more stories, or how I could be convinced of writing further in the CAMP universe.

So, for those of you who either haven't heard, or who may think my previous statements on this were ambiguous, let me make this statement:

There will be no further official CAMP stories, ever.

I say "official" CAMP stories because I obviously cannot stop people from writing fanfic, should they so choose.  But I will not consider those to be a real part of the CAMP universe, nor will I lend aid to writing such stories by answering questions or reviewing written works.

Why am I so against continuing in this universe?

There are several reasons, and I will discuss the least emotional of them first:  The universe has no future.  The characters are too powerful, and I have wiped out all but two of the uber-powerful psionics, leaving no real meaningful conflict as a possibility.

On a more emotional note, I find it very discouraging to be continually told that my very best work is the first book I wrote.  It makes me feel as though I should have stopped writing once CRJ was finished.  After all, I have apparently gone downhill in my writing ever since...

My own personal opinion of CAMP: Ron's Journey is that it's crap.  The first 13 chapters, which was originally as far as the book was going to go, have no meaningful plot, and the characters are cardboard, two-dimensional facsimiles of people.  As the book progressed beyond the first 13 chapters, it did so only because this reader or that one gave me an idea for continuation.  There was no coherence to it until the war got under way.  The second half of the book, the part dealing with the war, is... readable.  But not great.

I haven't re-read CRJ in three or four years.  By contrast, I re-read The Woodward Academy, Year 1 a few months ago, and I re-read Justice Seven at about that same time.  I re-read most of my work at least once a year.  The biggest reason I started writing was to give myself enjoyment by telling a story I liked, and I'm prone to rereading books I like.  I don't like CRJ.  I used to be able to read it, but as I've gotten older and (I think) better at writing, I can no longer stomach it.  Having so many people praise it as my best work is, as I said, very discouraging.  It makes me feel like this website is just a waste of my time.  I should just post CRJ to my ASSTR site, and keep all my other stories to myself.  I won't do this, of course, but there are days...

So, no, there will be no more CAMP stories, as far as I'm concerned.  I'd like to put as much distance between me and that...  "story" as I can.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2012-09-12 17:02:37

Freon22
Wasted

Re: The End of CAMP

Well I guess since you made this post I can make a reply? Ok so for ME I have read almost all of the stories written by you and available on this site. I like CAMP I liked Ron's Journey more then I liked Sibling Rivalry. All that I have to go by is what I like and what I do not like and the CAMP stories may not be your best but to me they are still good. I also liked Dragonseekers, Cass "Hoping there will be more on Cass"????, hell I will have to look them all over again and see which ones I did not care for.

I had just finished reading "Where the Maiasaurs Roam" and I had a great time reading it. In some parts it was almost as if I was not reading but watching.

I think this falls down to what a reader sees and what a writer sees. I am NO writer so I see what I see and like what I like.

Edit: I forgot to say that I agree with you on ending CAMP. Like they say all good things have to come to an end.

Last edited by Freon22 (2012-09-12 17:10:36)

“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.”

― Abraham Lincoln

#3 2012-09-12 18:29:25

nightsecho
Wasted

i think camp is considered your best story because it's the first story of yours most people read because its posted in more places than your other stories which in turn leads people to the pub

besides look at harry potter it doesn't matter what j.k. rowling writes from here on she will always be remembered for harry potter

if it was me i'd just be happy people like my story even if i don't like it myself and that leads them to my other stories

as for stopping the camp universe i'm okay with that because every story needs to end sometime

i think you're a great author and while camp maybe not your favorite story its still a good story

and while i do enjoy your other stories like dragonseekers and j7 it doesn't make me dislike camp anymore because your writing style got better in the later stories

but this is just my opinion

looking at you with wide eyes from the darkness

#4 2012-09-12 18:44:02

hawkeye91000
Inebriated

camp is a good story. If you feel you can't write anymore of don't. The Woodward Academy is really good and so is  Where the Maiasaurs Roam. im dyslexic so i could not write anyway i had trouble reading unless its on a computer so you have helped with my reading skills . ALL your stories are the best on the net so i hope you keep writing

Last edited by hawkeye91000 (2012-09-12 18:45:20)

#5 2012-09-15 14:20:14

dreaw
Inebriated

i like CAMP in that it gave me the inspiration for the powers in my story i use them as guidelines to describe the mental powers of my main character so i thank you for that.

and i too might one day write something base on the universe, i do plan to use your model for the spirit realm with a couple of my own tweaks.

that is if you don't mind me doing so.

Dreaw Mac

#6 2012-09-21 02:54:17

jhowe89
Inebriated

I don't usually throw my two cents in but I feel compelled to comment on this subject. As a reader it is disheartening to hear that you hate the story that so many people like. I can't understand the sentiment of feeling slighted when you receive praise for CRJ. It's like your an artist afraid of being a one hit wonder. I've read quite a few of your stories CRJ, CSR, WAY1+2, J7, PAO, Warmth, Mino, DS, and probably a couple others I can't recall at the moment. All of your stories are good but CRJ whether you want to admit it or not was the most epic story line of them all. The next one that has the extreme potential to unseat CRJ from peoples mind is the WAY series very cool idea with a great main and supporting cast with the potential to explore a very interesting world. The reason CRJ was/is very popular is it's what we like to read. A kid with enormous troubles thrust on to him and he fights and struggles and fails and comes back and has unusual power and has fun along the way. None of your other stories took it as far as changing the world not many stories have the potential to do that and it is a rare thing. It wasn't written perfectly in the style that you've developed now but the ideas were great and I don't know why you have such distaste for it that you can't just accept that it was a great story saying that it's not is basically calling all of us idiots for liking it. I totally agree that CSR wrapped up the universe because like you said you can't run a story like that without a conflict. It wasn't the best writing you've done but it was so far the best story you've told.
*I reserve the right to amend this statement as the WAY series progresses.*

Last edited by jhowe89 (2012-09-21 02:55:19)

#7 2012-09-21 03:04:48

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Whatever.

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#8 2012-11-12 09:00:08

Scott Neelan
Tipsy

As a long-time reader/lurker, someone that was drawn into this particular subsection of literature by CRJ, I think it's worth dragging this up to say that, no matter your personal opinion of the CAMP series, of Eric's work in general, or what have you, it's well within an author's right to do with his creations as he or she wishes. Everyone has his or her own tastes, and while we as the reader may grow attached to a character or world, it doesn't give us any more claim over them than the person that gave birth to them.

Besides, as much as I'd like to see more in the CAMP universe, really, where else is there to go? Post-apocalyptic rebuilding of civilization has been done to death, there are too few psionics left to really be interesting, etc. And even if he were the type to break under fan pressure and write something more in the CAMP world, would it really end up being as good as we'd want when thinking about the universe's foundation makes the author miserable? I, for one, would rather see more of what Eric actually enjoys writing, because that's what ends up being more inspired and engrossing. Woodward Academy series, anyone?

...just my unwarranted $0.02, of course, and now I'll go back to lurking for awhile...

#9 2012-11-12 17:56:05

RED_FOX87
Inebriated

My feelings on the topic aside, I think the reason people like the story (as least the reason I do), has nothing to do with how it is written. It is about the topic. Psionics, different guilds, world changing wars. I just find it very interesting. I also like that there are a lot of people with special powers, I like stuff like that, like the TV show Heroes and whatever. I don't think I've read all your stories, but I've read most of them, some I liked, some I didn't get into, not gonna get into which is which, but rest assured that if I didn't like a story, it depends on my personal preferences and not your writing style. And as nightsecho said, this was one of the main stories that people found out about you through, and maybe they also liked the topic and followed you in order to get more stories about the same topic.

As I said above, just to explain it a bit better, this story is on the large scale. Some other stories, they follow a single character and his close circle, friends, family.... They might get into a fight with some Order or something, but it's usually contained. In camp, the stories have far reaching world changing repercussions. 

And to reiterate what I said above, this has nothing to do with your writing abillity. This is just the genre people like. Not gonna say this is the ONLY genre EVERYBODY likes, I can only speak for myself, but this is my thought on the subject.

Sex is good, Sex is fine, Doggystyle Or 69, For having fun Or getting paid, Everyone likes Getting laid.

#10 2012-11-12 19:38:39

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

I think Eric is right that Camp is not his best work. It is by far one of the more compelling stories out there, but as he has said it does have flaws in it. I find that all of his stories are inspirational to my own writing. I like The Wayward Academy series far better then I like CRJ. Though CRJ is still one of my fav stories out there. That being said I understand the need to close out a series. And it is a good idea. As you shift the focus away from that story and to your other books it will become more about your art as a creative writer and less about the story that got your name on it.

By the way I can honestly say that the Harry potter quote above is not always accurate. Most people do not know Stephen King for anyone book. However when he first entered into the scene he was best know for the first couple of books he published. But know his name is synonymous with many different stories. Rose Red, The shinning and a few others to say the least. I feel that Eric is an author like this. Given enough time and more publicity of his other works people will see this.

I feel that your writing style has improved. I enjoy it more now then I did before. I have grown older reading your stuff. I got my first taste of your story over 11 years ago, or so I think. The fact that your story is still that popular to this day just means that even if it has its more 2d moments, that your ability to tell a story has only really grown from there and people just have to seek out reading more of you work and not just get stuck on one universe. I commend you for all the work that you do Eric. Keep writing you are truly an artist.

In the dark your lips taste like sweet nectar, and in the line they tease me endlessly.

#11 2012-11-25 12:22:32

Kouskul
Inebriated

I admit that I was saddened when I finished CSR, but when I read this and reflected on some of the other stuff I've read, like Artifact and Cruel Timing, I've come to understand your decision, though honestly, the way you wrote the series, I would've been content with the characters doing day by day activities.

So keep up the good work won't you? I've enjoyed your work for years now.

"Miracles of modern day science. I'm brushing my teeth and stimulating my hair molecules at the same time."
-Dr. Buddy Rydell (Jack Nicholson)

Board footer