The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Eric Storm
  •  » Woodward Academy 3d interactive walkthrough "game" -- Interest?

#26 2012-07-17 10:35:52

dreaw
Inebriated

Re: Woodward Academy 3d interactive walkthrough "game" -- Interest?

Eric just pitch your idea to the mod db forums if you don't want to i can do it for you

#27 2012-07-17 19:26:14

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Why would I want to do that?  No "mod" of an existing game is going to be able to properly replicate what I want.  Furthermore, I'd have to spend all my time describing in intricate detail exactly what every single item in the world looked like.  It would take more time to do that, than to just learn to do it myself.

Furthermore, quite frankly, my experience so far with the "gaming community" has been piss-poor at best, and downright rude at worst.  The answer I most often get is "Go read the [manual | tutorial | wiki | FAQ ] and stop bothering us for help", which overlooks the fact that those are always the first places I go for information, and also ignores the fact that I would ask my questions on a help forum.

Yeah, no thanks.  I'll stick with doing it myself.  At least I know that I will treat me with some modicum of respect.  It will take longer, but I will be happier with the result, AND the process.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#28 2012-11-12 05:59:17

adultswim3
Inebriated

I would love this. I vote for Sauerbraten as I think having the whole of Mt. Woodward in one map would make it a lot more immersive.

#29 2012-11-12 07:09:06

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

At this point, though the idea itself is not dead, the idea of using Sauerbraten for it pretty much is.

I am currently considering the UDK (Unreal Development Kit - used for Unreal Tournament and such), and the Unity engine (Not sure what's been done with Unity.)  The benefit to Unity is that it has a direct connection with one of the 3d programs I use.

Either of these will allow a full 3d world, but Unity requires less system resources.  (It also delivers less graphical "wow factor", but chances are you'll never get that wow factor out of anything I produce, anyway, due to time constraints.)

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#30 2012-11-12 20:01:29

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

Have you looked into the Half-Life Enines, Second-life and a few other ones? Also Maya and 3dStudio are awesome as well. My pc is even older then yours and I have tried with limited success with those programs but mostly due to lack of horse power on my pc. I personally would be very interested in the idea you have put forward. Whatever engine you use to do it doesn't mater to me. There are lots of cool interfaces out there to do it with. So I support you 100% in this. Your art be it your writing or you other artistic en devours are always of interest to me to say the least.

In the dark your lips taste like sweet nectar, and in the line they tease me endlessly.

#31 2012-11-12 20:40:07

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The Source engine (Half-life 2 et al) is unavailable to me.  (They won't even tell you how much it costs.)  Second Life is...  I'd have to deal with their whole economic system to buy land in Second Life to build on, etc.  Not going to go there.

If you have other suggestions for engines, I'm willing to listen.  My only criteria are that it can handle a world at least 4000' x 4000' in size (That's... uh... like 1300m x 1300m or something...), that I can get my hands on a copy of it without expense, and that my computer, and most current computers, can actually run it.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#32 2012-11-12 21:06:40

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

I will keep my ear to the grind stone, I know people who have there own Private servers that use a copy of the Second life engine . I personally don't know how to set one up the best I can do is make you a WoW private server lol. But anyways, I will see if I can find anything on how to get better source engines for you to use or what I can piece together. I am only a light dabler in the 3d engine field so my experience and knowledge is limited. But ill see what i can do.

In the dark your lips taste like sweet nectar, and in the line they tease me endlessly.

#33 2012-11-14 07:59:54

adultswim3
Inebriated

You should try making it in Minecraft ;-)

#34 2012-11-14 17:15:55

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

LOL that would be funny.

#35 2012-11-14 18:34:43

lordalpha
Wasted

Whelp! I know what my next minecraft project is going to be lol!

#36 2012-11-14 19:41:15

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Sorry, but the blockiness of design is one of the things I dislike most about Sauerbraten.  (At least Sauerbraten has a way to smooth the roughness.)  As such, I would never bother with a Minecraft attempt.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

• Index
  •  » Eric Storm
  •  » Woodward Academy 3d interactive walkthrough "game" -- Interest?

Board footer