The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Eric Storm
  •  » Woodward Academy 3d interactive walkthrough "game" -- Interest?

#1 2011-08-18 10:04:28

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Woodward Academy 3d interactive walkthrough "game" -- Interest?

[NOTE:  I have retitled this in the hope that someone might actually read the thread and respond.]

Okay, so I've had this idea, but the effort involved has increased to the point that I need to know whether anybody wants it, before I bother continuing.

I had the idea, mainly focusing on the Woodward Academy series, of creating a "walkthrough" of the places in the story, using a first-person-shooter game of some kind to create the walkthrough in.  The initial version would not have anything like monsters or enemies... and probably not even any other people.  In fact, the very first versions would probably be a bunch of empty rooms, designed solely to give you the idea of placement of rooms and buildings in relation to each other.  As the project continued, I would add in details and minutiae as time and energy allowed.

So, first question:  Does anyone give a crap?  Is there, in fact, any interest in such a thing in the first place?

Assuming, for the moment, the answer to the first question is "yes", then I ask the followup question(s):

Does the fidelity matter?  Right now, I am looking at two competing game engines to attempt this:  Sauerbraten, and Duke Nukem 3D.  (Yes, you read that right.)

Sauerbraten: (Based on the Cube 2 engine)
Benefits:
* It allows for very big worlds.  I can create ALL of Mt. Woodward in a single level.  You would be able to walk from place to place, and get a good idea of the space. 
* Sauerbraten is available for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. 
* The lightmapping system makes things look pretty damned nice.  Here are two examples:
http://www.stormworks.info/nws/woodward_castle.jpg
(Please ignore the ugly green grass.  I haven't messed with that texture yet.)
http://www.stormworks.info/nws/woodward_great_hall.jpg
* Level editing is immediately visual, as it is done "in-game".
Drawbacks
* The game download is large (450-475 MB, plus downloading my level resources, which I have no idea yet about size). 
* Unless you have a hellaciously good computer, it will probably have crappy framerates.  I am running an admittedly old computer (Athlon 64 3000+), and I am getting ~16 fps.  I don't expect these numbers to improve.  Newer systems will probably handle it better, but I doubt it will ever get to the 45-60+ fps that gamers want.
* Due to the method used to create things in the game, a lot of objects may become "cube-y", based on squares or 45-degree angles, rather than circles or curves (or even their approximations.)

Duke Nukem 3D: (Based on the BUILD engine)
Benefits:
* Is available for Windows and Linux (sorry, no Mac version, unless you can finagle the Linux version into running, which I know nothing about.)
* Is very small (under 1 MB for the Windows port, plus ~5MB for the original shareware download (which you will need)
* Runs VERY VERY well on my old computer, so should run insanely fast on a new computer.
* Level editing is simpler, and more intuitive to my way of thinking.
* The new Windows port has actual true 3d, as opposed to the 2.5D of the original.  (But it still uses sprites for most things, rather than models.)
Drawbacks:
* Levels cannot be super-large, so there could be no "overall" level that contained all of Mt. Woodward.  Levels would have to be one building at a time.
* I'm sure we're all familiar with the level of graphic fidelity in DN3D.  'Nuff said.

Over the past month, I have created one building from the campus:  The castle.  I did this in Sauerbraten.  No, I did not work every day of that month on it, but I worked as much as I could tolerate, given the workflow of the program.  Working this way, it may take a couple years to have even a barebones version of the entire campus released.  (I could release interim versions, if there was enough interest.)

I would expect that the same building in DN3D would have gone faster.  I cannot verify this, as I haven't tried it yet, but that is my impression from use of the BUILD editor of years gone by. 

So, the question is:  Do you even want it at all?  And, if you do, do you want it pretty, but slow, and slow in coming, or do you want it ugly, and fast, right now? 

Thank you for your time, and thank you in advance for your comments.
Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2011-08-18 10:08:21

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Woodward Academy 3d interactive walkthrough "game" -- Interest?

PS:  No, this would not slow down my writing.  Writing always comes first.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2011-08-18 19:34:11

lordalpha
Wasted

I would love to have that Eric!

#4 2011-08-18 19:56:02

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You forgot to answer the other half of the question, then...

----
Facebook page

#5 2011-08-26 00:31:46

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Well, guess I got my answer to this question.  Okay, I'll shut up, sit over here, and write, since that's clearly all you guys want from me.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#6 2011-08-26 21:42:08

LAoW
Completely Blotto

That's not all I want. Would you make me some snickerdoodles? Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase? 3dwink

I don't have to worry about revenge because Karma is a bigger bitch than I will ever have to be.

#7 2011-08-27 09:52:10

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

I'll take some still warm, chocolate chip cookies and a glass of milk for dipping.

If you're taking requests that is.

3dsmile

#8 2011-08-27 19:49:14

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yeah, I'll give you some "chocolate chip" cookies.  Just don't ask where I got the chocolate chips.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#9 2011-09-03 07:42:03

dentore1
Tipsy

i would be very interestied and i believe if your going to do it do it right and make it look good even if it is slower in coming out i.m sure alot of the readers would be interested but like me don't check the forum on a regular basis

#10 2011-09-11 04:07:34

Sirkenii
Inebriated

Eric,

I  would enjoy seeing this game in play, and slow and pretty.  By experience and reading, you do your best work when your not rushed to get it done tonight.   As always we your readers take what you are able and willing to give.

Respectfully,
Ken II

#11 2011-09-23 04:36:04

SilentSadist
Wasted

I would be very interested in this. I vote Sauerbraten. I bet with time you will become very adept at using it, which will probably reduce overall time on construction. Also, because it would take you lots of time to do this, there is also the option of using funds (from god knows where) to get yourself a decent computer (when using the word decent, my perspective is one of hardcore PC gamer that built his own computer and uses max graphics settings and overclocked CPU's), not an expensive one, just one that will make things smoother for editing in Sauerbraten.

When reading this, my first thought was "Crap, hope this doesn't take time away from his literary constructions," but then I imagined how boring and how quickly you can get nowhere by spending all your time writing. I realized that for some peculiar reason, you are human, and must have other things to motivate and rejuvenate your thoughts and ideas. This perspective lead me to believe that doing this (game engines) would be beneficial to your writing. By constructing this world on Sauerbraten, you are defining what the story's dynamics/imagery is and isn't.

In essence, I copy/paste Nike's motto: Just Do It.

Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard disk?

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

#12 2011-09-23 05:19:04

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Nothing would take away from my writing.  Writing is pretty much the first thing I do when I get up in the morning (after checking my email and some daily websites).  My artwork never replaces my writing.

Thanks for the feedback on this idea.  I haven't worked on the game in weeks.  I might consider going back to it.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#13 2011-09-23 22:24:01

LAoW
Completely Blotto

Commence the cussing.

I don't have to worry about revenge because Karma is a bigger bitch than I will ever have to be.

#14 2011-09-24 07:40:55

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Quiet, you!

3dtongue

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#15 2011-09-26 07:55:44

SilentSadist
Wasted

Was LAoW hoping this thread/idea would die? lol

#16 2011-09-26 16:38:47

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

LOL.  No, she just knows what I'm like while trying to work with Sauerbraten.  3dsmile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#17 2011-09-28 23:09:49

SilentSadist
Wasted

Ah. *pictures "A christmas movie" when the father starts cussing while working on the furnace*

#18 2011-11-03 00:23:28

celf
Wasted

hay Eric

i know this idea is dead in the water but.
do you think we can get a 2D overhead View down on to Woodward Academy like the type you get from a satellite?
so we can see the Woodward Academy (street? or land? , building's?) layout.

#19 2011-11-03 02:47:45

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I have considered creating a map.  I just haven't done it yet.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#20 2011-11-03 05:22:09

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

I second this motion.

#21 2012-04-21 08:57:02

calin225
Tipsy

i would be very interested in a 3d game and i think slow and good would be better as your writing is the same i know if you did it that way the game would be very popular for woodward fans like myself also you could create a interactive version of the welcome to woodward booklet (which would involve lots of writing)

#22 2012-06-02 13:27:17

Aundae
Inebriated

Love the idea of a 3D environment we could walk in to get to visualize the world depicted in the series.
so thats a yes to first question.
next, i would prefer you take it slow but make it look good.
normal/interactive maps are also welcome, and quite faster to make, so it will be nice to see it prior to game completion (possible to also add them to game system for easy travel so its not discarded upon completion).

#23 2012-06-02 13:29:14

Aundae
Inebriated

also, if you get the time and got the right engines for it, having characters for fun and games would be gladly appreciated. for instance a roll in the hay with Olissa, or the duel with Marcus.
I'm not going as far as taking a girl to the dean's office and take her there on the desk, though that would be nice too, but i was thinking pre-written activities that can be viewed as a 3d movie while your perspective is on the set

Last edited by Aundae (2012-07-05 03:59:44)

#24 2012-06-02 18:15:16

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Thank you for your feedback, but could you, after a full 12 chapters, at least get her name right?

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#25 2012-07-14 04:24:22

HJP1993
Inebriated

Finally got around to actually reading the forums on this site... I'm sure you've probably decided on this topic already but I thought I'd throw my two cents in. I would like to be able to look around your worlds, but I certainly love the stories more, and yes I have read where you said it would not interrupt your writing 3dsmile More importantly I wanted to say that while I have been reading your stories for some time, I just never got around to looking at the forums (except what was on the side of the info pages) and did not even know that you had a writing status stickied or that there were other interesting things posted (like this), I think it might be beneficial to some (mostly newer) visitors to the site if you somehow made the forum more visible or at least made a note (maybe on your authors page) that there were interesting things on the forum. When I first joined the site all I did was look at the authors bio's and read the stories that seemed interesting. I'm just starting to look at the forum. Anyways that is my opinion and I hope that it is constructive. You may of course decide for yourself if I said anything worth your time and if you are going to try and think of a way to do anything about it.  Oh, and to answer the second part of the question, I would personally prefer a larger pretty map and the 'cube-y-ness' would not bother me (I play minecraft 3dsmile

• Index
  •  » Eric Storm
  •  » Woodward Academy 3d interactive walkthrough "game" -- Interest?

Board footer