The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-17 08:41:49

SlaveMaster
Wasted

Quantity VS Quality

Quantity VS Quality which do you prefer?

heres a fun link
www.1227.com (they changed it to a diffrent clip and not the rick roll)

Welcome to The Mystic Wolf Pub

#2 2011-01-17 09:46:30

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Quantity VS Quality

Quantity vs. Quality...

That all depends on what you're talking about.

As the Soviet Army used to say, Quantity has a Quality all its own.  3dsmile

So what are you referring to?

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2011-01-18 01:40:11

SlaveMaster
Wasted

Great point on the Soviet army thing, knowing something of which you speak from history classes. My point is there is no point I`m letting people use their own imagination, though scary that might be. Lol

#4 2011-01-18 04:11:51

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

HEY!  If everyone went around using their fucking imagination, writers like me would be out of a job!  You tryin' to start something, fella?

3dwink

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#5 2011-01-18 05:38:49

SlaveMaster
Wasted

Nah not tryin start anything... 3dsmile i think that it is simply  a matter of the quantity of people that lack  the ability to be imaginative or the compulsion to do so.  In essance your pretty darn safe.  ^-^

#6 2011-01-24 05:42:27

AceMcCloud
Inebriated
Website

I've seen that quote before. I didn't know the origin (though the Soviet army wouldn't surprise me).

I believe that David Weber, and possibly John Ringo have used it in their books.

I definitely prefer quality myself. The US Army showed in the Middle East that (in a straight up fight) quality definitely rules. That's one of my arguments that the underlying premise for Al Steiner's future history series is hopelessly flawed: The Chinese and Indians have got to know that attacking the US would be like sticking their dicks in a wood chipper. (the other argument being that India doesn't even like China that much and would be more likely to ally with the US)

Stories on MP3 - The [Adult] Reading For The Blind project: http://www.asstr.org/~Stories_on_MP3/

#7 2011-01-24 07:41:35

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Straight up fight is the issue.  Yes head to head the US can probably flatten any military out there, but as shown in the last 10 years, that is not how wars are fought against them.  If an organization could somehow arrange thousands of small scale attacks across the US using low tech methods what would be the end result?

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#8 2011-01-25 04:22:19

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

There would probably be a large number of dead people. There would be some initial chaos in the US and other places probably but, like after 9/11, once we found out who was doing it, whether it was an organization of some sort or a nation, they would feel the US' anger pretty quickly afterwords.

Either through the courts, if it was an organization and their leaders were extradited, or through more martial means should their country or countries protect them like Afghanistan TRIED to protect Al Qaeda.

#9 2011-02-05 22:24:24

Imagineer
Wasted

I prefer small quantity to low quality 3dsmile

It's interesting to me that we use both words to mean more than they originally did.

We say quantity vs quality, and it's understood that we mean large quantity vs high quality. Is that an invention of marketing, or does it originate in another context? Does "quantity" imply "large quantity" only as a result of its opposition to "quality" (meaning high quality) in the titular question, or did it gain that common implication on its own?

Are there any other words like this?

#10 2011-02-06 01:26:02

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

It seems to me this is mostly due to the comparison nature of the phrase.  Since you are asking which is better, you would naturally assume that you were comparing the good versions of each.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#11 2011-02-06 02:14:27

WarLord
Wasted
Website

Interesting discussion

It's also a design philosophy.  Soviets build a competent Main Battle Tank but kind of crude but they build lots of them. America loves tech, so our tank is very cool but expensive so we build few but we hope quality.

In battles with surrogates and proxies using Soviet equipment, quality kicks ass but we can't say its tech or competence/skill or just soldiers who actually want to win.   Never had the crucial match up of the cold war.  Just as well....

If you look at Afghanistan, both armies fought there and quantity nor quality seems to be key.  But than even Kipling chronicled the problems of making war there.  Such is the future, asymetrical open source war. 

BTW I first heard the"quality quanitity" quote  attributed to Napoleon then Wellington... 3dwink

"A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: 1. What am I trying to say? 2. What words will express it? 3. What image or idiom will make it clearer? 4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?" - George Orwell, Politics and the English Language, 1946

#12 2011-04-13 06:34:01

VICENTE
Tipsy

First of all we must know  the specific theme on which we have to chose quality or quantity . Well In my view Quality is always the considered the factor of success in Business . Some time both Quality and Quantity are also required . So we are very difficult to chose one . So we have to consider the both Quality and Quantity . But Most Quality is preferred .

#13 2011-11-18 06:03:13

Cly
Inebriated
Website

I prefer quality with most things. Sex, stories, sex stories, sex, food, sex, friends, family, sex, clothes, sex.... Oh, yeah, and sex! ^.^ I can't really think of anything I'd prefer quantity. Well, maybe sex. I prefer quantity and quality for sex. Lots and lots of really good rough sex! =P

Then God said, "Let there be Cly!" and Cly was and Cly looked at God then and said, "Dude, you suck. All that power and this is what you came up with? Give me that crown and I'll show you how to create!"

#14 2011-11-23 00:36:19

James Marcus
Wasted

Quality over quantity, as I have seen on many sites that unfortunately were killed for me by the sheer volume of crap stories that flooded them. I would rather wait a while for the next chapter or next story if it is written well, than get a crappy story a day that has the same plot and no characterization or description. besides anyone can write 100 crap stories it takes a true artist to write one good one.

#15 2012-01-22 08:11:26

SlaveMaster
Wasted

it's nice to see that most people on here agree on this, but then if you didnt it wouldnt be likely that you would be here. 3dbig_smile

#16 2012-01-22 16:56:41

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Speaking of not being on here... where the hell you been?  We haven't seen you around in months.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#17 2012-01-22 19:45:41

SlaveMaster
Wasted

lol my home town got hit by a tornado in ontario (as you know that fucking rare for us up here)... I've been busy working at a few banks and other locations while they rebuild doing 12hr shifts... and lots of being bumped around working at various concerts and festivals of the such.  so in essance i've been busy. oh and helping out step father with his new truck shunting company.

Board footer