The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-04 01:28:38

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

SPAM issues

I have revoked the recent change to membership status.  Confirming your status through email is no longer necessary.  Unfortunately, it did not fix the problem, and the board continued to receive SPAM.

I will warn that I may attempt other changes in the future, in an effort to defeat the SPAM, until the new version of the website is done (which will be a long time coming, unfortunately).

I will try to keep you up to date on what is being done.  I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2011-11-04 20:25:21

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Re: SPAM issues

Does PunBB use CAPTCHA or can you add it?  It has been too long since I joined to remember if that is used or not.

Won't stop a live person of course but if we are being spammed by a bot it might stop it.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#3 2011-11-04 21:50:13

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

There is already a CAPTCHA on the registration page, as well as a confirmation email that must be answered.  No, it's not stopping the bots.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2011-11-04 22:18:33

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

Yeah apparently not all CAPTCHA is as good as others.  I cam across an interesting article on this http://www.cs.sfu.ca/~mori/research/gimpy/

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#5 2011-11-05 00:00:53

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yeah, the problem with CAPTCHA is that, if you make it hard enough for the bot to not be able to read it, people can't read it, either.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#6 2011-11-05 03:33:16

celf
Wasted

Eric what you need are some more Moderators.
people who can remove the spam. for you so you can spend more time typeing. 3dsmile

Moderators. are like lesser admin's 3dsmile there to make the admin job more easy.
that is If you can find good people to be Moderators.
not a easy job in all the years i was a forum admin my self.
i think i only ever met like 4 people who i could count on. for a time frame longer then 8 months.

then again i never had a forum with a lot of members the bigest forum i ran had 50 members.
and that was a guild forum for everquest (fyi that guild, is long dead 3dsad )

i could offer my self to help. but you have no reason to trust me and trust is some think a admin has to have in his/her Moderators.

but what i dont get is why the step you used did not stop the spam,
it should have stoped it out right.
there got to be holes in the PUNBB code.
i never used punBB my self i used phpBB.

uggg if i was in your place i'd be pulling my hair out right about now

#7 2011-11-05 03:47:33

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yeah, I don't have anyone I'd trust to show up reliably to moderate who isn't already an admin.

I will say this is pushing me to work on the new version of the site... which I guess some of you might consider a good thing.

As to PunBB, I can only assume there's a way to access the "post" script directly, without it checking your permissions.  Otherwise, it shouldn't have been possible.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#8 2011-11-05 04:18:41

Storymaster69
Completely Blotto

For something as simple as deleting spam I could certainly do that.  If you look at my visit stats and think I would not come in enough that is just because it is not a job so I don't visit regularly.  If it was an assigned duty I would be more diligent about my visits.

Sex isn't the answer.
Sex is the question.
Yes is the answer.

#9 2011-11-05 04:39:06

celf
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

As to PunBB, I can only assume there's a way to access the "post" script directly, without it checking your permissions.  Otherwise, it shouldn't have been possible.

Eric Storm

yep that what i was thinking it could be as well.
and  if that is right that is one Hell of a Hole in the code.

is there a new PunBB Code out that more is uptodate.
if it is the same Bace code ( but with the Hole Pluged) then with luck updateing it for the main Pub Code could be easy,
so the forum and story part of the webpage still work as one.
them have to be bypassing part of the PHP Code to get at the PHP code for posting as without that
( the only outher way is to Hack the mysql daterbace and add it that way. )

also i did note that i think that last Spam attack was in the form of reply's only no new post's

#10 2011-11-05 04:48:11

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You aren't even aware of all of the Spam attacks.  What you don't realize is that, at this point, I'm deleting new spam messages every two hours or so.

As to updating the PunBB code... trying to work with PunBB 1.3 is why I decided to write my own personalized forum scripts for the new site version.  It is about as unfriendly a system to try to integrate with a site as one can imagine.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#11 2011-11-05 05:06:34

celf
Wasted

omg i have just had a killer idea.

Note you can shoot this down as useless if that is what it is. it is just an idea.

i dont know how hard this could be to code But.

You Could Add a Flag system to the Forum.
in witch if a Post is Flag by 3 (or more if you like ) users as spam ( not new members but members you pic and ask if them will do it. )

then apart from the power to say this is Spam there normal membrs with no power by them self's.
if 3 members from this list ( of i say 20 members to be a good number to start ) say this is Spam it will be removed.

Maybe you could have the list be the PRM members
or PRM members who have show them self to be a good forum user.

as i said this is just a idea, you are free to shoot it down or use any part of this idea changing any part the way you like to make it work.

after all Eric, this is your forum.

i just hope this idea give's you a new line of idea's to play from to beet the spam.

#12 2011-11-05 05:13:31

celf
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

You aren't even aware of all of the Spam attacks.  What you don't realize is that, at this point, I'm deleting new spam messages every two hours or so.

As to updating the PunBB code... trying to work with PunBB 1.3 is why I decided to write my own personalized forum scripts for the new site version.  It is about as unfriendly a system to try to integrate with a site as one can imagine.

Eric Storm

ok that is out of control..
have you looked at phpBB V3 ?

Could that be a better Code.
more easy to work with.
i use to mini mod phpBB V2 with stuff outher's made for it and i found adding stuff to it not to be to hard.
but i never could write code for it my self ( i think you may know why )

#13 2011-11-05 05:28:58

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I have found no freeware forum system that is actually designed to exist "inside" another website.  I haven't found one that exposes its functions to outside scripts via a good API.  phpBB was one of the first I looked at, since it's what I started with back when I was running EWP. 

No, I gave up on the premade forums.  They are all built for too wide an audience to be easy to work with.  I will spend far, far less time just making my own scripts than trying to fiddle around making some forum software allow me to work with posts and such outside of the forum itself.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#14 2011-11-05 18:51:27

nightsecho
Wasted

its to bad you cant just create a new folder labeled all spam goes here that way everyone knows not to look at it 3dsmile

looking at you with wide eyes from the darkness

Board footer