The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-29 02:01:29

Bridget
Barmaid
Website

Tough Negotiator, A

An assassin is tasked with killing a world leader.

Please read and comment.

Please read The Mystic Wolf Pub Critiquing Guide.

SITE CONTENT POLICY:  The administrator of this site will not reject, remove, or censor any story posted to this site based on the story's content.  No story shall be removed except for purely technical reasons (which will be worked out with the author so that the story can be reposted as quickly as possible), or due to a direct order from the site's hosting provider, a law-enforcement entity, or the story's owner.

#2 2007-08-07 00:14:47

TheNStorm
Inebriated

Re: Tough Negotiator, A

Good job, NW. The story was well-written, and the male/female POV switch made an excellent trope. Do you have any plans for more stories about 'an agent in an exceptionally tough field?'

-The N Storm

(posted from the Item Information Page)

Forever life confuses me

#3 2007-08-07 07:19:42

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

trope: n. b : a common or overused theme or device : CLICHE    (Had to look it up, didn't know what the hell a trope was.)

Wah!  You didn't like it???  3dhmm  3dtongue

Originally, this story was going to be the first chapter of a longer story about Alex's capture and escape, and fugitive status.  In fact, this has been re-written twice, to go from short story to first chapter and back again.  I have decided to let this particular story stand on its own.... though I have started a story concerning her grandson who, while not in her line of work, is just as much a maverick.  This story isn't being posted here, on the off chance I finish it and want to try to get it published.

Thanks for the feedback,
Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2007-08-07 17:01:44

TheNStorm
Inebriated

trope (trōp)
n
   trope, a figure of speech, especially one that uses words in senses beyond their literal meanings. The theory of rhetoric has involved several disputed attempts to clarify the distinction between tropes (or ‘figures of thought’) and schemes (or ‘figures of speech’). The most generally agreed distinction in modern theory is that tropes change the meanings of words, by a ‘turn’ of sense, whereas schemes merely rearrange their normal order. The major figures that are agreed upon as being tropes are metaphor, simile, metonymy, synecdoche, irony, personification, and hyperbole; litotes and periphrasis are also sometimes called tropes. The figurative sense of a word is sometimes called its tropological sense, tropology being the study of tropes. In a second sense, the term was applied in the Middle Ages to certain additional passages introduced into church services. The most important of these, the quem quaeritis trope in the Easter Introit, is thought to have been the origin of liturgical drama.

"trope." The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms. Oxford University Press, 2001, 2004. Answers.com 07 Aug. 2007. *http://www.answers.com/topic/trope

I meant that in reading the story, the perceptions and thoughts of Alex are well built up to convey without cementing her gender. In the end, when she turns out to be a woman, the reader must go back to the story and think about certain spots- spots I haven't looked at because, though it hasn't been long since you posted, I only read through quickly and commented about what stuck with me. I'll get to a more in-depth reading in a bit. Good trope 3dsmile.

If you ever need a second proofreader for incomplete stuff I can lend a hand. (By the bye it'll help alleviate some of the suspense from your series works.) You shouldn't have too much trouble getting published, it just takes time and more time... and more time.

Good job and good luck,

-The N Storm

Forever life confuses me

#5 2007-08-07 19:01:57

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Has it ever occurred to anyone that "Concise" and "Oxford" is an oxymoron of colossal proportions?  3dsmile

Net Wolf

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#6 2007-08-08 04:27:23

TheNStorm
Inebriated

"What do you read, my lord?"
"Words, words words!"

-The N Storm

Forever life confuses me

#7 2009-07-02 23:03:52

mjsinjapan
Inebriated

Cute bit that Alex is female on the end there, another great story! Ever think of writing a few of these and making them longer? Plenty of action type writers out there with this type of thing at the book store. I don't care for most of theirs, but I like your writing style. Thanks for writing it and keep up the good work.

(posted from Chapter 1)

#8 2011-10-10 13:50:18

Drowsy
Inebriated

Good story with a nice ending. Good job!

(posted from Chapter 1)

#9 2011-10-10 18:15:26

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Glad you enjoyed it.  Thanks for the feedback.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer