The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-07 20:34:50

nightsecho
Wasted

forum problem?

the dragonseekers forum isnt putting the new posts up there have been at lest two i havent seen

looking at you with wide eyes from the darkness

#2 2009-11-07 21:10:10

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: forum problem?

Um.... could you be a little more specific about your problem?

1. If you cannot see them, how do you know there are new posts?
2. Where are you looking at them?  In the forum itself, or from the Dragonseekers page?
3. The usual: OS / Browser / Versions?

I'm not a mind-reader.  Your complaint is WAY too vague for me to even begin to look into.
Eric

EDIT:

Since LAoW is having the same problem, she was able to answer the questions more directly.  What you are seeing is a forum glitch.  It happens when the posts go over onto new pages.  It will show up as soon as there are enough posts for the forum to "understand" that it needs to show you the next page.  I didn't write the forum, and every time I go into its code, I get a headache, so I don't think I can fix this.

There IS a workaround:  Change the default "posts per page" for your account.  The setting is in your Profile (Menu at the top of this page, click Profile, then choose Display")  Set it to a number higher than 25.  I have mine set to 75.  This doesn't solve the problem entirely; it just makes it happen less often.

The other option is to read the forum from its item information page.  If you go directly to the Dragonseekers page, the posts do show up there.

I'm sorry I cannot be more helpful, but as I said, the forum code makes me ill.

Eric.

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#3 2009-11-07 22:27:20

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

UPDATE:

Okay, I went looking.  This was actually a problem in MY code, not the forum code.  When someone posted to the forum from the story pages (rather than from the forum itself), I was not updating a required field (because I didn't know I needed to).  That was causing the reply counts to be wrong, and so the forum didn't know that it needed to display the extra page of posts.

This issue has been fixed:  my code has been changed so that it will update the reply count correctly, and the database has been updated to reflect accurate reply counts for the topic threads that were affected by this bug.

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2009-11-08 23:23:24

nightsecho
Wasted

sorry about being vague

looking at you with wide eyes from the darkness

Board footer