The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-02 02:42:04

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

New site update system

A new script has been implemented to send out the daily site update email.  You will not need to do anything to continue receiving the site updates you have been receiving, but you will notice a bit of a change in the email itself.

Here are the changes that were made:

1. PRM material is now marked as [PRM], so that you will know, if you're not a donator, that it isn't yet available to you.

2. The email will no longer list unit numbers for what has been updated.  Instead, it will actually give the chapter names.  (In other words, instead of saying, "Unit #1", it will say instead something like "Chapter 1", "Image 1", or "Episode 1: Memories of Atlanta".)

3. The email will let you know when something you have on your favorites list comes out of PRM status.

4. The system no longer depends on a special database table to keep track of updates.  Instead, it actually searches the database for items that have been updated in the last day.  This will hopefully cure the problem we've had of showing the same update for days in a row, because the table didn't get cleared out.

Hopefully there aren't any serious bugs in this system.  If you have problems with the email, please let me know.

Thanks for your time,
Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2009-06-14 04:48:10

fathertyme
Inebriated

Re: New site update system

I know nobody has commented on this, but here is an example of the emails I get.. which I have to tell you doesn't give me a whole lot of information:

You asked to be notified of certain updates from The Pub. The following updates have occured in the last 24 hours:

A unit marked [PRM] is Pre-Release Material, and is available only to donators until it goes public.

I don't think I've ever actually gotten one that had information in it outside of those 2 lines...

[edit] of course, since I only had Eric listed in the favorite section, that might have something to do with it. I've added a couple more favorites to the mix and we'll see what happens [/edit]

Last edited by fathertyme (2009-06-14 05:33:15)

#3 2009-06-14 05:48:01

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

That's very strange.  Do you have the "receive all updates" option checked?  Otherwise, you shouldn't be getting any updates at all, since you don't have any favorites marked...

Eric

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2009-06-14 05:53:53

fathertyme
Inebriated

nope, "receive all updates" is unchecked..

and I did have 1 favorite author listed.. that would be you 3dsmile

I've since added a couple more

but yeah.. still odd no matter how you look at it *shrugs*

no biggie, just figured I'd mention it.. if that is the ONLY issue I have from your website, then it's a big win for me 3dtongue

you keep writing, I'll keep reading

-tyme

#5 2009-06-18 09:00:38

fathertyme
Inebriated

just got the same message again.. notification of a site update with no information in it: 
header:

[The Pub] Site Updates on 2009-06-17

You asked to be notified of certain updates from The Pub. The following updates have occured in the last 24 hours:

A unit marked [PRM] is Pre-Release Material, and is available only to donators until it goes public.

#6 2009-06-18 18:00:40

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I am looking into the problem.  It may take some time to fix, as the error isn't readily visible in the code.

Eric

----
Facebook page

#7 2009-07-22 15:18:21

fathertyme
Inebriated

Item Units Just Released from PRM
CAMP: Sibling Rivalry, by Eric Storm
Chapter 3

Either you did something, or...

that was the first one I got that had information in it 3dtongue

#8 2009-07-22 16:15:06

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

No, I haven't had a chance to dig into that system yet.  You're not the only one having a problem.  Unfortunately, other obligations have most of my time right now.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to look at it sometime soon.

Eric

----
Facebook page

#9 2009-07-22 19:19:02

Nadez
Wasted
Website

Just thought id mention that I just got the same thing, I assume it was the thing telling me about the chapter 3 thing..but it had no information on it

Board footer