Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-12 19:01:00

Bridget
Barmaid
Website

Summer Roadtrip

Summer Roadtrip

This is the story of a young man, fresh out of school, asking for the ultimate in graduation presents. FREEDOM! His parents rent him an RV for the summer and off he goes.

Please read The Mystic Wolf Pub Critiquing Guide.

SITE CONTENT POLICY:  The administrator of this site will not reject, remove, or censor any story posted to this site based on the story's content.  No story shall be removed except for purely technical reasons (which will be worked out with the author so that the story can be reposted as quickly as possible), or due to a direct order from the site's hosting provider, a law-enforcement entity, or the story's owner.

#2 2007-10-13 14:03:13

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Re: Summer Roadtrip

There was a problem with chapter four. Dave was nice enough to write to me and point it out. I then fixed the problem. Apparently I fixed it so quickly, Dave thought it was his mistake and wrote to apologize. Dave, My thanks for letting me know I'd screwed up and my apologies for messing with your head. 3dsmile

#3 2007-10-14 07:08:35

Corvis
Inebriated

I've read as far as ch2 and I'm enjoying the story a lot.  I like the character of Jason.  I'm not sure if I should feel sorry for him about his Florida plans (trying to not be too specific so as not to spoil the fun) or if I should be happy for him for missing out on the trouble 3dsmile

I look forward to reading more.

#4 2007-10-21 15:39:39

dv8n
Wasted

ok I just wanted to let you know, I read "roadtrip" and I liked it... it was well written and fun to read, but some of the "problems" Jason ran into were just plain dumb luck and some were him just asking for trouble... but still I didn't expect the ending hahaha  you blindsided me with that one...  3dsmile  thanks for the read

(posted from the Item Information Page)

:lol:

#5 2007-10-26 00:15:07

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

DV8N,

I'm glad you enjoyed the story. I wrote it with ABSOLUTLEY no plan as to what would happen or where it would go. I just wrote it and made things happen, didn't worry too much about the consequences. I just wrote Jason doing the things I Would do if I were in those circumstances... yeah, like that's ever going to happen. I was lucky to get one woman in bed in my nearly 40 years. To get a dozen or so in bed in three months... yeah right!!!!!!!!! 3dsmile

Corvis, Hope you enjoy the story.

#6 2007-11-05 08:57:59

advancewar
Wasted

hey was just reading the storry got to chap 24 in one night. so far one of the best stories iv read im begining to think net dosent know any bad writers 3dsmile you sould consider writing another storie like this mabee set in europe or somthing, might be cool. hope to see more of your works and see ya later

life=books

#7 2007-11-08 01:04:46

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

I've TRIED writing other stories like Roadtrip, both sequels as well as stories that are just similar, and have NEVER had much luck at it. I think Roadtrip was a once in a lifetime work and I doubt I'll ever create anything nearly as popular. But I'm very glad you enjoyed the story Advancewar.

#8 2007-11-09 21:23:46

betabry
Tipsy

Just wanted to add my agreement with the previous posters. Excellent writing. I really got into the characters, and the descriptions were great. I was a little disappointed with the ending which just felt too abrupt, but then it could be that I just didn't want the story to end. In a way it does kind of mirror real life in that just when you think things are going great ...

Anyway, great story. Keep em coming and thanks for sharing.

Beta

#9 2007-11-25 04:38:16

SirVash
Tipsy
Website

Me my self have read this story about 2 or 3 times and I just love it.

#10 2007-12-18 09:45:19

The Lurker
Tipsy
Website

I have read hundreds, if not thousands, of stories online in the years I've been surfing the net. Mostly they are just a distraction, something to kill time. Summer Roadtrip is one of those gems that grabbed me, sucked me in and wouldn't let go till I finished it.
I can only thank you for writing it.

TL

~ The Lurker ~

#11 2008-07-15 22:30:32

drestnar
Inebriated

entertaing. one question? if the rv was burned how did main character show the photo album off. in the first chapters you said he had that and his mom new?

(posted from Epilogue)

#12 2009-04-12 15:16:00

ripnullnet
Tipsy

The story is no longer accessible?

[:::error code redacted:::]

It does not show up in the list of stories either.

Edit: Nevermind.  I will assume it was one of the stories removed per your request back in December 2008.  May I ask why it was removed?

Last edited by ripnullnet (2009-04-12 15:34:11)

#13 2009-04-12 21:46:49

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Summer Roadtrip, Triplet Troubles, Adam Knight and a few other stories I've written, have been removed, at my request, from this site and others. If or when they will be re-posted, has not been determined. My apologies to those interested in reading them.

Last edited by Jefferson (2009-04-12 21:47:18)

#14 2009-05-30 23:28:31

bdraft
Tipsy

Too bad, I was looking for the story based on a description from Lazeez's blog (SOL's) guy.  I tried to find it there and it wasn't there.  Google brought me here.

Here is what got me interested:

http://storiesonline.org/blog/2007/09/0 … /#comments

Please thinking about having them reposed.

thank you for your time;
bdraft

#15 2009-11-03 18:17:50

betabry
Tipsy

I'm really glad you decided to re-post these, Thank you! Your stories are great.

#16 2009-11-04 00:21:41

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed them.

#17 2009-11-05 01:12:37

unknown1000u2
Inebriated

Yay!  Theeeeiiirrrr baaaaack!

#18 2011-01-24 22:33:44

LAoW
Completely Blotto

As I've already said, this was a fun story! I enjoyed the characters and cringed when they were in dire situations. I also agree it ended too quick. The only negative thing I had was the grammar/spelling, before AND after editing. 3dwink

I don't have to worry about revenge because Karma is a bigger bitch than I will ever have to be.

#19 2011-08-20 08:40:41

Flamewolf
Inebriated

With all the details in your story. I fell like I was there with you. You made it very real. Great job!!! You are one of the best writers I have ever read. Keep up the great work.

(posted from Epilogue)

#20 2011-08-21 19:34:41

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Wow!! Thank you. 3dsmile Glad you enjoyed the story.

#21 2016-07-26 19:01:02

Lacy69
Inebriated

Yes its late for comments but i agree with the others that this was a awesome story. From chapter 1 to the end i loved every minute of it.

#22 2021-06-02 20:14:09

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

I have a question for anyone who reads this post and has actually taken the time and trouble to read my first ever posted novel, "Summer Roadtrip."

It has been twenty plus years since I wrote and first published "Roadtrip." Between then and now, the story has been edited, by me and others, a number of times. Trust me, it reads 2000% better now than it did when I first published it. Back then, I often switched back and forth between past and present tense,  confused their, there and they're as well as to and too. Characters switched ages, names, a section of the story is missing... I have learned a lot and have become a much better writer since then. I think. (Shut up, Eric!)

I've always felt bad about how bad "Summer Roadtrip" really is. (Another embarrassment, "Roadtrip" should be two words.)

So, since I haven't posted anything else in a while, I was thinking about going through and trying to fix the story. This will mean some real changes to the story. I'm talking changing the names of some characters, fixing ages, adding some, or changing, some important parts of the story, maybe even taking out some parts of the story.

For those who actually enjoyed this story, would you be interested in reading, or re-reading, a new and improved version of the story? Do you think this is a good idea or would I just be wasting my time? If I do it, should I post the new and improved version over the original or should I post it as a new version of the story, "Summer Road Trip 2.0"?

Please give me opinions. If no one is interested in an improved version, I won't waste my time and will just go on my merry way.

Thank you.

#23 2021-06-02 20:25:19

thehilz
Completely Blotto

It’s been a long time since I read it and I really can’t recall many details so I would read it(probably will reread it sometime soon regardless now) but if your unhappy with then current version then you should work on it to get it to a point that you are satisfied with it.

#24 2021-06-02 20:42:49

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Aw, c'mon, you can't hand me a straight line like that, and not let me respond!!!!  3dtongue

As to your actual question... let me be blunt and point blank about it:  Would you actually finish editing it?  Would working on this prevent you from finishing something new?

You should always prioritize new material over old.  We could all go back and rework our earlier material to death, but it would mean our readers wouldn't get anything new.  But if this might kick you out of your current writing slump (okay, your "finishing slump"), then it's worthwhile.  Otherwise, I think just acknowledging that you're a better writer now than you were then is preferable... but that's just my opinion.

Eric Storm

PS:  There's no rule saying you can't fix the current title right now.  But just because YOU change the spelling to "Road Trip" doesn't mean half the Internet, which can't spell the word "a" with any reliability, won't still spell it "Roadtrip"...

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#25 2021-06-02 20:52:20

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Eric Storm wrote:

Aw, c'mon, you can't hand me a straight line like that, and not let me respond!!!!

If it tortures you, even a little, it's worth it!!! 3dsmile 3dtongue 3dsmile

Eric Storm wrote:

Would you actually finish editing it?  Would working on this prevent you from finishing something new?

Yes, I think I would finish it and no, since I'm not really writing anything right now, it won't prevent me from finishing anything new.

Last edited by Jefferson (2021-06-02 20:53:52)

Board footer