The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#401 2021-04-16 14:14:27

bistander
Wasted

Re: Potential

Horsepower325 wrote:

This is quite possibly the Mona Lisa of erotic literature. I love it. I stayed up the entirety of the night devouring this masterpiece. The character development, the emotion that is so thick you just feel like you could reach out and touch it, the suspense of waiting to see what happens next, it makes for a perfect work of art. I can't wait for more. As someone who has dealt with the whole learning disability thing myself, I must say, Bravo.

(posted from the Item Information Page)

That's the kind of comment that gives me a huge boner and makes me feel like I might actually have learned something from Eric back when he was breaking my balls about all the shit I wrote D3dbig_smile3dbig_smile

#402 2021-04-17 06:56:36

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I was nothing but kind, courteous, and gentle with my reviews.

Now spread your legs and sit still while I get the sledge hammer... misch_smiley

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#403 2021-04-17 13:23:42

bistander
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

I was nothing but kind, courteous, and gentle with my reviews.

That is so mostly true;-)

Eric Storm wrote:

Now spread your legs and sit still while I get the sledge hammer... misch_smiley

Eric Storm

3dyikes

Last edited by bistander (2021-04-17 13:25:11)

#404 2021-04-19 03:11:08

Rearaxle
Inebriated

I began reading your story about a week ago.  I hammered through all 36 available chapters.  Kept me up pretty late a few days.  But I was not disappointed.  This story is one of the finer quality stories that I have read.  And I don't mean, just on this forum. 
But I suspect you've been keeping secrets.  Something your not ready to tell.  I can't wait to see the next chapter.
Damn good story.

#405 2021-04-20 15:18:33

Fred73
Tipsy

I have really enjoyed reading these stories you write. You are a talented writer. Please keep up the good work. I am looking forward to the rest of the stories.

#406 2021-05-05 22:20:51

coachc32
Inebriated

Just checking in, seeing how things are going.  Hopefully all is well?  I'm looking forward to the next chapter.  Could you sneak in an update on the status for us? 3dwink

#407 2021-05-23 16:14:41

hst666
Tipsy

Hi Bistander.

I just wanted to say that I found this story on another site, and I am really looking forward to reading more.

#408 2021-05-23 18:18:05

bistander
Wasted

I've been avoiding saying anything because I hoped to be able to give an update with good news. I still don't have any, but too much time has passed, so here is the news. I got caught up doing other things, mainly trying to make a few dollars, and I completely lost the potential bread crumb trail in my head, along with the motivation to write. Yes, I feel like a dick the way I always do when I make everybody wait, but I'm not depressed the way I normally am when I am not writing. That's good in that I'm not in that downward spiral that happens, trying to figure out if I'm depressed because I'm not writing or not writing because I'm depressed. On the other hand, I have to get back to work. I haven't written anything or even finished the fix-up of My Neighbor's Incest I started. I've been trying to get started by whipping out a couple of quick short-short stories on paper, but I haven't been able to finish any, and today I spilled a cup of coffee on the pad of paper.

Hang in there if you can, but if everybody takes off to find finishers instead of me, I completely understand.

#409 2021-05-26 14:24:54

Rearaxle
Inebriated

I came on the site looking for the next chapter. I'm mildly disappointed.  No new story fix.  I guess I'm going to have to work on that bathroom remodel some more.
It's good to hear that you are seeing with more clarity amid the chaos.  Making a few bucks is always healthy.
Don't beat yourself up about losing your way a little.  I'm pretty positive your fans will be more than happy to go back and maybe even read the entire story again to get refreshed.  Just remember, you want your fans to be anxious.
But you also want your fans to read other stories.  Variety is the spice of life.
My suggestion would be to turn down the lights. Grab something to drink. Put on a Moody Blues album and vegetate a little.
Their album "Seventh Sojourn" has always had a calming effect on me. Anything they did in the 70's is good.  Their albums "Search for the the lost cord" and "Days of the future past" are also excellent thought therapy. Maybe you don't drink, but I always found it nice to get a little buzz going first. A little sensory deprivation with only the music and a light buzz. It's a nice way to bring thoughts into focus.
This would be my "Zen" moment, without the Yoga stuff.

#410 2021-05-29 03:44:58

bistander
Wasted

Rearaxle wrote:

I came on the site looking for the next chapter. I'm mildly disappointed.  No new story fix.  I guess I'm going to have to work on that bathroom remodel some more.
It's good to hear that you are seeing with more clarity amid the chaos.  Making a few bucks is always healthy.
Don't beat yourself up about losing your way a little.  I'm pretty positive your fans will be more than happy to go back and maybe even read the entire story again to get refreshed.  Just remember, you want your fans to be anxious.
But you also want your fans to read other stories.  Variety is the spice of life.
My suggestion would be to turn down the lights. Grab something to drink. Put on a Moody Blues album and vegetate a little.
Their album "Seventh Sojourn" has always had a calming effect on me. Anything they did in the 70's is good.  Their albums "Search for the the lost cord" and "Days of the future past" are also excellent thought therapy. Maybe you don't drink, but I always found it nice to get a little buzz going first. A little sensory deprivation with only the music and a light buzz. It's a nice way to bring thoughts into focus.
This would be my "Zen" moment, without the Yoga stuff.

awesome advice! Breathe deep the gathering gloom, watch lights fade . . .

I'll get back to it. Been trying this week to at least finish the edits I started. My attention span is horrible, though. Worse than normal, as is my hyperactivity. I'm going to find somewhere comfortable away from all the distractions and internet access. Once I get into the groove again it'll come back.

thanks again for your words of wisdom.

#411 2021-07-20 20:04:05

mwahoo
Inebriated

so a bit of advice that may help   I edit/proof but more of a technical side.  Use a dry erase board and map it out like a story board.  Thoughts.  Gloria's got to loose the cherry but tow who?  Candy is prego, john finds out,  hurts her,  john dies,  but by who?  Cindy boffs jason.....and his sister(s) all at once.    Its in there,  map it out and move on.  Writers who do series novels do this often to determine what the next book is about and then to break each book down.  Tech mechanics  same way,  we need this,  we build by doing this... ...hope this helps you get started.  Adult ADD meds may help

#412 2021-08-02 02:01:18

Treetrimmer
Tipsy

Bistander please finish this story there have been several stories I started and the author never finished them it's very frustrating.

#413 2021-08-02 03:27:52

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Treetrimmer wrote:

Bistander please finish this story there have been several stories I started and the author never finished them it's very frustrating.

If you had bothered to read some of the previous posts, you would know that he is trying, but is struggling with various issues, both story- and life-related.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#414 2021-08-14 14:10:51

bistander
Wasted

To everybody who still bothers to check and see if the dumbass author has recovered from rectalcraniuminversion, the author has. I know there are many writers on the internet who write a long series and drag them out then disappear without ending things. If I was that kind of person, I promise you I would have given up on this years ago. As a matter of fact, I would have given up on writing altogether. I once heard someone say, Don't ever write a book, it's like having homework every fuckin' day.
Steven King said something like, When you find out there is absolutely nothing else you can do, be a writer.

I should have heard that before I thought going from not really knowing how to craft a correct sentence to writing a novel was a good idea. But, I didn't, and I'm not the kind of person who goes back on their word. I promised somebody a few years ago I would finish this, so unless I die, I  will do that.

Why has it been 8 months since the last chapter? I can't really explain that, but see above for whatever I said already.
I hate it more than you, and I'm going to get something out soon.

#415 2021-08-27 20:45:54

Treetrimmer
Tipsy

Eric Storm my comment was not intended as a condemnation of Bystander. It was a plea to not abandon the story and its fans. I will be happy to wait until Bistander feels like writing the next chapter no matter how long it is.

#416 2021-08-28 04:57:38

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I didn't think you were condemning anyone.  I was just pointing out that, had you read the previous messages, you'd have realized there was no danger of him discontinuing the story, it was just that he was struggling with issues at the moment, and so was having difficulty getting words on paper.

On a broader note (as this doesn't really apply to Bistander), a lot of less-experienced authors would feel somewhat attacked by your comment, as it is somewhat accusatory in tone.  Now, maybe you know Bistander well enough to know he doesn't take this kind of message this way, so were more direct than you normally would be.  I'm just letting you know that, to the wrong author, your comment would be rather discouraging.  Just try to keep that in mind when interacting with other authors.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#417 2021-09-12 03:14:38

Horsepower325
Tipsy

Hey bistander. Just checked in to see if the next chapter was in and catch up on the posts here. Saw you have been going thru some tough times. Gets better on the other side. Just have to find a light so you dont end up running into the walls like a lost Roomba. From reading your work I would have to say that your writing, at least from my limited perspective, might be a piece of that light. Hope you get things going soo .

#418 2021-11-23 01:25:32

farok
Tipsy

Hey mr. author.

I just wanted to let you know that whatever you decide to do, it's okay. If you're done writing this story, that's okay. If you want to continue, that'd be great. I don't know you, I don't know what you have going on, I don't know what it is you need to hear right now.

I just wanted to let you know that I'm grateful for what you've already put out there for us. Regardless of whether you will continue this fantastic story, if you could just let us know whether you're doing okay, I'd really appreciate that.

I wish you the best.

#419 2021-11-27 15:04:41

bistander
Wasted

Hello out there. I have to admit that I have intentionally not checked in because I'm tired of hearing myself try and say why there hasn't been a new chapter this whole year. I can't tell you because I don't understand myself, especially since chapter 37 has been mostly finished for months. Today I felt I had avoided the pub long enough. I will finish this chapter soon, and I hope that the act of writing will make me keep writing. That has worked in the past, but I have never gone this long without creating something from nothing, which is what writing a story is.

Cross your fingers and let's see what happens.

#420 2021-11-27 17:25:41

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I can tell you, from personal experience, that sometimes, when you've been away from it for "too long", you simply have to force yourself to write for a couple days.  Your mind has gotten out of the creative habit, and it needs to be kickstarted.  If you are at all ready to continue writing, this will usually work.

It is admittedly one of the toughest things I've ever had to do as a writer.  Setting words on "paper", when your mind really isn't "into it" is daunting... almost painful, honestly, because the one thing you know is that the words that do come out will not be your best (because your best words only happen when your creative mind is fully engaged already...)  But, for the sake of getting back to that place, you just have to grit your teeth and struggle through.

The best of luck in your endeavor to continue with this story.  Trust me, I know where you're at, mentally.  I have had years much like you describe, where my yearly word count was between 10,000 and 20,000 words.  It sucks, but it happens.  Try not to get discouraged by the lack of work, as that only makes the continuation of the work that much harder.  Your brain apparently needed to recharge, and once it's done with that, the words will come back to you (perhaps with a little forceful nudge, as I mentioned at the start...)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#421 2021-11-27 22:50:12

bistander
Wasted

Thank you, Eric. That's a big help and encouraging.

#422 2021-11-28 13:19:44

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Oh, one thing I did forget to say:  Don't bother trying to force it for more than about three days.  If you're still fighting with yourself by that point, then you're not yet ready to return to writing.  Give yourself another couple weeks, and try again.

Just wanted to point this out in case someone thought they should "force it" for weeks or something.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#423 2021-12-10 19:07:20

bistander
Wasted

I hope there is still someone out there who will care, but I finally finished chapter 37. I'm about to see if I remember how to post a story.

#424 2021-12-10 21:01:02

Elessar
Completely Blotto

I’ll be looking forward to the end, it got super confusing for a dozen chapters in my brain and then having to wait until a new chapter came out weeks or months later. Look forward to the end result.

#425 2021-12-11 16:51:13

pepsiguy1
Inebriated

Thank you for continuing. I'm amazed at how many downloads you have with so few comments. I believe everyone here wants you to continue, it's a great story that can have so many "potential" endings. The biggest problem I have is keeping all the different characters straight and all the different relationships to one another. I does keep my mind working in my old age so that probably is a good thing. Can't wait for the ending. Then you can start on a new project.

Board footer