Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-08 03:18:21

Bridget
Barmaid
Website

Alpha Project

Alpha Project

Alpha Project - Still working on the intro. The story is about two girls brought into a secret research test, and what happens to them when they survive the treatments.

Please read The Mystic Wolf Pub Critiquing Guide.

SITE CONTENT POLICY:  The administrator of this site will not reject, remove, or censor any story posted to this site based on the story's content.  No story shall be removed except for purely technical reasons (which will be worked out with the author so that the story can be reposted as quickly as possible), or due to a direct order from the site's hosting provider, a law-enforcement entity, or the story's owner.

#2 2016-05-08 13:25:22

Rescue25
Wasted

Re: Alpha Project

Awfully short chapter.  Ho[e the next one will be a little longer.  Good beginning  for what promises to be a good story.

(posted from Chapter 1)

#3 2016-05-08 14:30:04

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

Each chapter is being word count limited, for a smoother reading process. They shouldn't be more than 1-2 thousand words a chapter, so they wont be longer but they will be rapidly published. Hopefully mewhahaha.

(posted from the Item Information Page)

In the dark your lips taste like sweet nectar, and in the line they tease me endlessly.

#4 2016-05-11 10:37:06

Elessar
Completely Blotto

Lost interest almost immediately, couple reasons. First was the several misspellings and grammatical incorrections, now my grammar and spelling is far from perfect. But some of them were bad. Second was, well I understand short chapters. But that literally took me less then 3 minutes to read. I should at least take like 15 minutes to read the chapter, should consider increasing your word limit to 8,000 or so. Just a suggestion. Last reason, it started off so suddenly, nothing to build up to the start. It just happened. Took any possible suspense from the story for me.

#5 2016-05-11 15:55:03

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

I have not read the chapter yet since, as I said on a different part of the forum, I don't read only the first 1-2 chapters.  Having said that though, Elessar, your third point of contention is a bit of a sticking point.  Some readers need stories to start out with explosions and other pyro, others want it to start out like The Hobbitt, most like that middle of the road.  As an example, even as a huge movie fan, I have yet to see all of Blazing Saddles because it starts so slowly that there is nothing that grabs my attention in the first 10 minutes and if a movie doesn't grab me in that 10 minutes, I will never get to watch it because when I see it on again I just skip over it since I will miss the first part.

Wicked, write for yourself and enjoy your stuff.  If you believe you might benefit from getting an editor/proofreader, do it, but don't let them run roughshod over you.  Editors can DEFINITELY do that; I know I used to do it.  I like to think that editors are writers without the imagination to create worlds, we can help bring the vision into sharper focus but we don't have the scope to have our own.

As for Elessar's 2nd point, my only recommendation is to watch it carefully.  Having really short chapters can lead to a story feeling VERY choppy.  I don't know if you are familiar with the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (and if you are into high fantasy or alternate history you should read it), but book 8 of that series suffers from that a bit.  You get used to long chapters from him and then in 8 he all of a sudden has chapters that are only 8-10 pages long.  While that wouldn't be a problem in most books, in his it is because his first few books have you reading chapters in excess of 25 pages.

Good luck and thank you, just like the other authors out there, for creating and transporting us to the worlds you create.

#6 2016-05-11 16:55:48

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Elessar:

Okay, a few points I'd like to make, and I'll try to keep the furnace at medium.

1. You have just violated a rule of this website by not following the Critiquing Guide in making a negative review.  Let me quote here the most relevant portion of several you violated:

Critiquing Guide wrote:

Do not even comment on a story if you didn't like it. If you are of such a mindset that the story didn't even make you want to continue it, your criticism will never come out constructively. Just move on.

Your comment, had it come to me, would have resulted in a highly negative response that I'm struggling very hard not to give you FOR Wicked Storm.  Your dislike for their work is YOUR PROBLEM, NOT THEIRS.  The tone of your comment suggests that they should be working to please you, specifically.  In short, you're not that important.

2. The length of chapters versus the "choppiness" of the story is actually utterly irrelevant.  It's whether or not those chapters flow naturally into each other that decides on choppiness.  1,000 words or 20,000 words, if there is an unnatural break that occurs at the chapter boundary, it's going to feel choppy.  If, instead, the chapter break is little more than a typographical convention, then it should have no effect whatsoever on the reading.  WITH THE FOLLOWING CAVEAT: When a story is posted chapter by chapter, yes, you will feel that shorter chapters make for a choppier story, because you have to stop reading more often.  This is not an effect you should EVER comment on.  If you don't like reading short chapters of that kind, simply wait until they've posted five or six new ones, and read those as a whole.  Or just wait until the entire work is posted, and read it in one go.  In any case, authors should always break chapters where they feel a chapter break belongs, and that is entirely up to the feeling of the author.  Your comment that it took you "less then [sic] 3 minutes" to read is amazingly rude.  What you blazed through in three minutes may have taken them days to write.  In any case, it certainly took them a hell of a lot longer than three minutes.  You want it to have taken longer?  Then read more slowly.

3. Unless you've got close-to-perfect grammar, don't rag on someone else for theirs.  Not everyone has the ability to find a reliable proofreader.  Hell, I have trouble keeping active reviewers myself (not that I use them for proofreading, but my point is the same)  Other people have their own lives, and finding someone to stick with you through years of writing is fairly impossible.  So unless you're offering your services as a proofreader - and since you've admitted to having lousy... sorry, "far from perfect"... grammar, I wouldn't suggest it - don't go knocking someone else's.  If you want to - PRIVATELY - point out errors you spot, go ahead.  Otherwise, just move on.

4. Not having read the story, I will assume that this is what is being used.  Look it up: In Medias Res.  In Medias Res is a technique whereby you jump right into the middle of the action, and you then use flashbacks and other literary devices to inform the reader as to how things came to that point.  This is a perfectly valid and legitimate method of starting a novel, and your distaste for it is... say it with me... YOUR PROBLEM, NOT THE AUTHOR'S.  Your assumption that because they didn't do it the way you prefer means that they did it wrong is arrogant, presumptuous and rude.

5. Your post contained not a single positive comment.  Not one.  This is a major violation of etiquette here.  Why did you bother to write this post?  You can't have honestly thought your "notes" would be helpful.  Your only purpose would have to be to insult and emotionally wound the author.  To make it clear, that is the definition of A FLAME.

You've been warned.

Okay, so... medium-high on the furnace, I guess...

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#7 2016-05-13 10:21:53

Elessar
Completely Blotto

I could argue with it but it's ultimately pointless. My personality is messed up in the way, that I enjoy arguing, even if I'm wrong.

Could I have done my post completely different? Yes absolutely, I should have done it differently. I should have added a few ideas and several positive points I liked. I apologize solely to the author for my rude comment, demanding comments to satisfy me, mostly for the fact I shouldn't have posted it in the forum and just left it in my head.

I'll further apologize to Eric for having to waste so much time explaining everything in different ways, when I should know the rules by now.(honestly haven't read them and didn't really think they were followed very well as most places are that way).

I apologize,
Elessar,

Please continue the story, try going a little slower if you can and not rush it. Relax and enjoy writing it.

#8 2016-05-13 15:30:26

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

One of my goals in creating The Pub was to give authors a place they felt safe to interact with their readers without the fear of all the bastards out there who think its funny or enjoyable to just trash someone's work for the hell of it.  (Not saying that's what you were doing.)

As such, I police these forums.  I read every post.  (This could get very time consuming if The Pub ever grew large.)  In the past, I've seen posts that needed... "an enthusiastic but negative response".  Those who have known me for long enough can probably see it coming.  There may have been people who saw your post and said, "Oh, shit, Eric's going to nail his ass..."
3dsmile

Anyway, so long as you learned something from the experience.  Just remember that I will virtually always side with the authors.  The authors are who I actually built the site for, and version 2.0 of this site is going to be even more author-centric.  (By which I mean that I will focus most of my efforts making tools for authors, not gadgets for readers.)

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#9 2016-05-16 02:16:57

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

Thank you very much Eric for Moderating the comments made here. I will respond a little of my own.

Elessar I read every comment I get on these forums, maybe not daily but I make sure that I take what the reader has to say in completely. I post draft copies of my stories up here as I am writing so that my readers, have a chance to see my work as it developing. Often times, making corrections and changes to story as needed. This is the Alpha, no pun intended copy of this story. It's not even a Beta yet. So I am apologetic for my grammar errors and misspellings. I do over time clean them up and correct them. Shorter chapters will, actually assist me in this.

I don't have an active editor, or even proof readers. I do it all myself, and have a very full schedule most of the time. So that is one of the issues there which I hope one day to resolve by finding someone who loves reading my stories, and is capable of correcting my quick typing spelling errors, or in some cases my word perfect corrections which are the wrong word altogether.

Now, Chapter length. If you have read my other stories, you would know that I don't usually go to short chapter lengths at all. Tri-Blade Saga, has huge chapter lengths. As a matter of fact by chapter six there is 40k words in the story, and we have hardly even hit stride yet in the real plot of the story. 40k is considered the bench mark of novel length stories. So this is an attempt at something new for me. A different style if you will.

Some of my other readers, and a few friends who some times prof read but don't have the greatest of skills in it, have pointed out to me in the past that it take a little to long for me to pull the reader into the story. So in this story I am thrusting you the readers into an already happening story, but as the main characters are only just arriving, the length of which the trials have been active prior this hardly maters, yet.

I might or might now give more details of the study as time goes on in the story, but  that is really up to the way the story unfolds in my head.

I do accept your apology. If you have any constructive suggestions, you are more then welcome to send them to me privately. As there is an option for that on the comment page. Goes straight to my email, and if I don't agree with what you have to say, it will be address in a more private manner.

I want to thank you for your response as well Fenixreign. Thank you for you support, and I hope that as time goes on I will grow and become a much better author. Now onto writing some more, or even in this case editing tee hee. Chapter 2 is up by the way.

In the dark your lips taste like sweet nectar, and in the line they tease me endlessly.

#10 2016-05-16 03:05:55

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

Also as a note, Chapter 1 has been edited for errors, and grammar to the best of my ability for it's first run through. I do encourage readers if they find errors, to send me an email with their location and I will edit them if it is accurate. Thank you.

#11 2016-05-23 19:01:37

Freon22
Wasted

This story is looking good and it is building so it can move down any path. You know human testing does happen in real life so your story so far is in the realm of possibility. Not saying that you should stay in the real life, I think most people read to let their minds escape real life (just for a little while) LOL.

Anyway this is looking good and hope you keep it coming.

(posted from Chapter 2)

“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.”

― Abraham Lincoln

#12 2016-05-23 20:16:38

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

Yes, I do know that there is some stuff out there like this, but its not going to be the extreme that this is going to be. You will understand when i get through the next couple of chapters.

Edit: Gueess what, Guess what. Chapter 3 has words on it. That is all!

Last edited by Wicked Storm (2016-05-25 17:28:25)

#13 2016-07-25 02:28:41

Lacy69
Inebriated

Wicked Storm i am glad that you are putting forth the effort to write a good story.  I enjoyed the first three chapters and would like to encourage you to write more on this story.  Yes there are stories out there that are a like but to be honest its like a painting no 2 painters are exactly alike.  Keep up the good work and hope to see more.  I most defiantly want to see what you have in mind for the sisters

#14 2016-08-12 03:26:55

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

Oh yes, Alpha Project, is definitely going to receive some more here soon. Promise.

#15 2017-03-03 19:58:31

Freon22
Wasted

Bump Bump :-)

“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.”

― Abraham Lincoln

#16 2017-05-16 10:34:20

barenakeddreams
Tipsy

Great start of a story!  Would love to read more.

#17 2017-06-24 18:55:51

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

me too. cant wait for the author to write some more of this story..... oh shit thats me...

#18 2020-09-26 16:14:27

kojak1818
Inebriated

Rage for rag? Souled for soiled? Twerking for tweaking? You've got to be kidding!

(posted from Chapter 2)

#19 2020-09-26 16:35:27

kojak1818
Inebriated

Four play for foreplay?

(posted from Chapter 3)

#20 2020-09-26 16:53:47

kojak1818
Inebriated

Title wave for tidal wave?

(posted from Chapter 3)

#21 2020-09-26 16:58:43

kojak1818
Inebriated

Road to climax for rode to climax? You really need to learn how to deal with homonyms!

(posted from Chapter 3)

#22 2020-09-26 17:19:57

kojak1818
Inebriated

You really need to learn how to deal with homonyms and the difference between singular and plural!

(posted from Chapter 5)

#23 2020-09-27 00:28:59

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

kojak1818 wrote:

You really need to learn how to deal with homonyms and the difference between singular and plural!

(posted from Chapter 5)

And you really need to pay attention when the admin of a site tells you that your behavior is inappropriate.  I've already warned you once.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#24 2024-02-23 03:47:35

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

I have started editing and reposting chapters for this WIP. Enjoy everyone, feel free to let me know if you notice something big, preferably in an email. haha.

#25 2024-02-24 16:57:51

Wicked Storm
Completely Blotto

Edits are caught up to chapter 5 now, with a bit of new content on chapter 5.

Will probably work on the outline for chapter 6 later today and have it up sometime next week. Keep an eye out guys.

Board footer