Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 8, The

Bastard.

3dtongue

3dsmile

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#527 2020-08-19 08:38:21

bigfoot
Wasted

Something I noticed fairly early on is that this is a story about magic and yet nobody flies unaided. Sure, there's SkyRiders but those aren't common and is still a mechanical/magic device (aka aided flight as is his rides on Cupcake). As David does so many things at peak level (Divination, Potions, Conjuring, his work as a Rimohr, his work in the army, his ability to resolve situations quickly, etc.,), one would think in a world of magic, David would have been able to figure out a way to fly next to Jailla without the aid of a machine or Pegasus (like Ronald Chaffey from your brilliant CAMP stories). Personally, I'm glad you didn't go in this direction.
3dwink

#528 2020-08-19 09:38:51

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

1. CAMP sucks.
2. With the exception of Death Eaters in Harry Potter, I can't actually think of too many magical stories where people fly unaided.  Even fairy tale witches use brooms.  In the story, I did actually talk about David attempting to make a high-power levitation potion that would have allowed for flight of a limited type.  It didn't work.  I rejected at the very beginning the idea of magicians flying like superheroes.  It takes too much humanity out of things.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#529 2020-08-19 19:46:44

bigfoot
Wasted

It's been at least ten years since I've read CAMP but I certainly don't recall it "sucking"

#530 2020-08-20 00:38:02

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Take it from the author.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#531 2020-08-20 17:59:17

bigfoot
Wasted

Not that I'm putting CAMP in the same category but I know for a fact that Ian Fleming grew to absolutely hate his book "The Spy Who Loved Me" as did Anthony Burgess with his classic book "A Clockwork Orange". Perhaps the most famous case of an author hating his own work is Leo Tolstoy who, late in life after acquiring new religious convictions, grew ashamed of having written both "War and Peace" and "Anna Karenina". Go figure.

#532 2020-08-20 19:30:54

ChiefRock
Wasted

Eric I know you wrote Camp early and feel too many mistakes were made  in it but it was what got me to start reading your work I will still ocassionally go back and reread it

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#533 2020-08-20 21:38:45

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

ChiefRock wrote:

...I will still ocassionally go back and reread it

And, I assume, cringe at any point where I mention the Navy...  3dsmile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#534 2020-08-21 01:07:33

ChiefRock
Wasted

You may not remember you and I had an extensive conversation shortly after i joined here we discussed naval tactics and you wanted an explanation of why an air wing commander was called CAG. Did my best Nautical speak is basically another language but you did not do bad Eric. Only thing I recall was a female bridge watchstander who changed from seaman to ensign but crap eric that was minor

#535 2020-08-21 02:56:38

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

The one that makes me cringe every time I read it is the battle of the ballistics.
The telekinetics didn't need to slow them down, they needed to speed them up -- laterally.

Hey, chief,
Have ya heard about the changes being brought into action by the Gerald Ford carrier?
One of the biggest is the elimination of a LOT of steam lines and the transformation of the cats from steam to E-Mag. A lot smoother acceleration and true acceleration throughout the launch instead of dwindling with the steam pressure drop.

Last edited by darthel0101 (2020-08-21 03:02:27)

#536 2020-08-21 03:17:43

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

darthel0101 wrote:

The one that makes me cringe every time I read it is the battle of the ballistics.
The telekinetics didn't need to slow them down, they needed to speed them up -- laterally.

Erm... how would making them move sideways help things?  They're still going to blow up somewhere.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#537 2020-08-21 03:41:09

nukeman24
Inebriated

Been a while since i commented last but the progression of this story has been phenomenal to say the least and as it gas been from the beginning i cant wait to see how this continues even though obviously i have too thank you for continuing to write eric stay healthy and stay safe

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#538 2020-08-21 04:34:35

ChiefRock
Wasted

darthel0101 wrote:

Hey, chief,
Have ya heard about the changes being brought into action by the Gerald Ford carrier?
One of the biggest is the elimination of a LOT of steam lines and the transformation of the cats from steam to E-Mag. A lot smoother acceleration and true acceleration throughout the launch instead of dwindling with the steam pressure drop.

When and if they get the bugs out they have a winner. biggest trouble aboard carriers was lack of fresh water. you cannot make steam out of salt water. dwindling pressure? research hydraulic cats sometime I have seen cold cat shots not funny at all to see plane slow down then just tip over at walking pace then get run over. This is the way things work the electro cats are likely the future basically a Hmm what is that gun using rails? yes rail gun. The temp close to the cats was awful also. Flight deck is the only place to work

#539 2020-08-21 04:40:28

ChiefRock
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

darthel0101 wrote:

Erm... how would making them move sideways help things?  They're still going to blow up somewhere.

Eric Storm

I think what he is calling a battle is not that but the worlds biggest math problem. any change in ballistics has the potential of generating a miss lateral movement yes speed yes angle yes The way I have always seen telekinetics is they ignore the problem they just concentrate on where things go and they do

#540 2020-08-21 11:30:17

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

ChiefRock wrote:

Eric Storm wrote:

darthel0101 wrote:

Eric Storm

I think what he is calling a battle is not that but the worlds biggest math problem. any change in ballistics has the potential of generating a miss lateral movement yes speed yes angle yes The way I have always seen telekinetics is they ignore the problem they just concentrate on where things go and they do

I assume he was talking about the Russian ICBM attack (ie, ballistic missiles).  On that assumption, I'm unclear as to what shoving the thing sideways would achieve, since they weren't worried about what specific point targets would be hit, but simply that ANY spot would be hit.

As to telekinetics trying to figure out the mathematics of ballistics...  The computer was invented for this very purpose: I don't think people are going to be able to work it out on the fly.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#541 2020-08-21 11:31:04

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

nukeman24:

Glad you're enjoying the story.  I hope you like the ending.

(Didn't want you to think your comment got lost in the ongoing discussion...)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#542 2020-08-21 14:00:04

ChiefRock
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

ChiefRock wrote:

Eric Storm wrote:

Eric Storm

I assume he was talking about the Russian ICBM attack (ie, ballistic missiles).  On that assumption, I'm unclear as to what shoving the thing sideways would achieve, since they weren't worried about what specific point targets would be hit, but simply that ANY spot would be hit.

As to telekinetics trying to figure out the mathematics of ballistics...  The computer was invented for this very purpose: I don't think people are going to be able to work it out on the fly.

Eric Storm

OK I was thinking of the fleet launch of shipkillers ours and theres. (I think you called them all harpoons, which was our shipkiller the russians had one similar) I agree on inability to compute without a computer but how did the telekinetics handle both cases? in the naval battle they just blew them up early until there ability was saturated. assume the strategic missiles were the same the telekinetics blew them up until there ability was saturated??

#543 2020-08-21 23:03:14

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Just for the sake of clarification:

1.  I actually referred to the Russian ship-killers as SS-19s.  The American missiles, I actually called SLAMs, which, IIRC, is the surface-launched version of the Harpoon.

2.  The seaman/Ensign transition:  Um... battlefield commission?  3dbig_smile  In this case, though I can hardly remember some 18-20 years later, one of two things happened.  Either I had forgotten that I called her a seaman initially, or I simply goofed on what the captain would have referred to her as without using her name.  I'm quite sure it wasn't my intent to change her rank.  What I find amusing is you're not complaining that I made her an Ensign, just that she didn't start out as one... when a quick look around suggests that officers are never helmsmen...

3.  The MIRVs from the ICBMs were not exploded.  They were redirected out into space, and sent toward the sun.  Exploding a MIRV at high altitude is a "really bad idea"... and would be damned tough to do, really, given the multiple safeguards in the system.  Exploding regular old warheads is easier.

4.  Shame on you for making me re-read portions of this thing.  3dtongue

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#544 2020-08-22 00:09:37

ChiefRock
Wasted

LOL well I guess I am going to have to also since I made that many errors. Yes I knew Ensigns do not normally man the helm but I was an airdale I was seldom allowed on the bridge you would have thought my feet smelled or something. I worked the flight deck my second home

#545 2020-08-22 00:15:19

ChiefRock
Wasted

Battlefield commision I suppose but iffy. The best explanation I came up with in my mind at the time was she was a midshipman a cadet on her senior cruise To be commisioned after they definitely man helms chip paint and anything else And are occasionally called Seaman properly it is mister but they have no authority at all

#546 2020-08-22 03:04:49

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

The lateral acceleration was looking at the portrayal of the TKs needing to slow the RVs down before slinging them back into space.
The thing is, they're ballistic - IIRC, from well less than halfway through their ascent. That means that there're falling in an arc (moving both laterally and vertically). If you speed up the lateral, you widen that arc. Since the object was to get them into a non-descending ballistic arc, speeding them up horizontally could put them into supra-orbital or escape velocity trajectory without slowing them down and with a whole lot less effort since the TKs wouldn't be slowing them in the first place.

Remember that the ISS is constantly falling. It just has a LATERAL component to that fall that keeps it at the same distance from the ball underneath it.

For more information, see Wiki - Ballistic missile flight phases
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic … ght_phases

Also - an image at https://tutorials.nti.org/wp-content/up … light1.jpg

Last edited by darthel0101 (2020-08-22 03:19:16)

#547 2020-08-22 03:34:35

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

And how do you make sure that you didn't just accidentally drop that bomb on Japan, or Australia... or Hawaii?  You can't SEE it to make sure it has made escape velocity.  Again, ISS's trajectory was determined by computer.

Also, as this lateral acceleration to escape velocity would inevitably take time, you'd be talking about applying force while the bomb is actually orbiting the planet.  You'd be using up a lot more energy because of working at far greater distances.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#548 2020-08-22 04:02:39

ChiefRock
Wasted

Ballistics to change or to hit a designated target less than a meter across is one thing but to change to hit the sun (which by the way will suck it in if even close) is doable You are trying to overcomplicate a problem

#549 2020-08-22 04:09:07

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

ChiefRock:

"Mister" is for enlisted personnel?  I thought it was for officers of lower rank.  Huh.  That's what I get for not being in the Navy.  3dsmile

And it wasn't your feet that stank, if you worked on the flight deck.  It was your entire outfit!  3dbig_smile

Eric Storm

PS  PLEASE don't feel obligated to re-read CRJ.

----
Facebook page

#550 2020-08-22 16:17:52

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

A quick Woodward Academy year 8 question... Is Vivian a Capadra throughout the year so far, or does she ever get promoted to Bandador?  The reason I'm asking is because, in chapter 2, the following seems to indicate a different rank for Vivian.

"Why only attack one wagon, then, though?" Vivian asked, then realized she was speaking out of turn.  "Oh!  Sorry, sir," she said to the vocator.
"No, Bandador (Capadra), it's a good question.  What about it, Vigax?"

I put (Capadra) in because I've seen her rank listed as Capadra both before and after the above reference to Bandador.  Now, if I'm misreading this and it should be talking about someone else, then please let me (us) know.  Or if she actually did get a promotion and later reference to her as a Capadra should be changed to Bandador, then that too would be nice to know.

Board footer