You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-28 19:52:13

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

A question for the users...

Hey, everyone.

Just doing some thinking about the future site, and I had a question:

Does ANYONE still use RSS readers anymore?

I'm trying to find a good mechanism for allowing people to know what updates have happened to the site without them having to visit the main page.  So, it could say something like:

The Woodward Academy, Year 8 - Chapter 4: September [PRM] - posted
The Woodward Academy, Year 7 - Chapter 10: March - updated
4 posts to the message board
1 private message
Donations so far this month: $585 (of $700 goal)

Or something to that effect.  I wanted to allow people to personalize their notification, which I can do with an RSS feed... but if no one's using RSS feeds anymore, than that's pointless.

Any thoughts on the best way to provide people with this information?  I want to avoid email; I don't know if GoDaddy would get pissy about me sending out a few hundred/thousand emails a day.  (Actually, I'm pretty sure they WOULD get pissy if it stretched into the thousands a day...)

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2019-08-29 02:30:22

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

Re: A question for the users...

I believe I still use an RSS feed. I use a program called Feedly to get my news each morning.

#3 2019-08-30 14:49:31

HendrixMorton
Inebriated

Definitely still use RSS...Just wish the Firefox guys hadn't killed the Live Bookmarks RSS feature...That worked really nice, so of course they butchered it...

#4 2019-08-30 19:45:20

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yes, I'm aware.  It's one of many reasons I finally gave up on Firefox.  I really don't like Chrome, but Firefox has turned itself into the IE of the 2010's:  "You'll use what we give you and like it!  And no back talk!"

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#5 2019-08-31 01:52:53

fathertyme
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

"You'll use what we give you and like it!  And no back talk!"

Eric Storm

Dad?

#6 2019-08-31 04:33:11

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

"I am your father now, Calvin." - Jake Preston "Fire Birds"* 

Eric Storm

* Possibly paraphrased.  He might have said "mother", but that doesn't fit this scenario.

----
Facebook page

#7 2020-01-13 17:50:37

Neaves
Tipsy

Firefox is really that bad nowadays? Man, how the mighty have fallen...

#8 2020-01-13 19:54:01

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Firefux has regularly disabled features, and has hidden the ability to re-enable them deep inside the about:config page.  Some features have disappeared entirely.

And then they wiped out an entire class of extensions, in favor of the "Web Extensions" standard.  This eliminated some of Firefox's most popular extensions, such as DownThemAll.  And mind you, W.E. does not have the functionality - by design - of the old extensions.  For instance, Video Download Helper requires an external helper app now, rather than the extension being able to save files by itself.  It's all supposedly in the name of security.

Firefox used to be the "power user" browser: you didn't use it unless you knew something about what you were doing online.  Now they're joining the Nanny Browser crowd:  WE think what you're about to do is a bad idea, so we're not going to let you do it.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer