Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1326 2019-11-08 02:46:06

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Writing Status

Hakhazar:

I can understand that.  I switched to Chrome simply because I felt so utterly betrayed by Firefox that I couldn't stomach using them anymore.

Eric Storm

PS:  There IS a way to get to the Chrome bookmarks menu via keyboard, but I freely admit it's harder than it should be.  (It's ALT-F + B)

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#1327 2019-11-08 02:59:33

IBSwimmin
Inebriated

I used to use Chrome for everything, but I've been trying to limit what Google can get from me. What really got me to change back to Firefox is all of the history Google had saved on me. For example, every time I had used voice to text (going back to 2012!!) they had saved that recording. You can actually go on your account and listen to it... So I cleared that history, and turned on every "do not track" that they have. And now the only thing I still use them for is my email - but that's only because I'm still working out what more private option i want to go with 

When I was going to school, I was ok with our Google overlords knowing everything. Now I'm trying to limit my reliance on not just them, but all of the big tech companies like Amazon and Apple. I know it's impossible, and we can't go back to 90's level of anominity, but I'm trying to take at least a little bit of my privacy back.

#1328 2019-11-08 07:21:17

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I have given up on privacy concerns.  There is virtually no way to actually be private without becoming an off-the-grid hermit, and honestly, I don't really give a shit what anyone knows about me, anyway.  Yes, I use DuckDuckGo instead of Google, but that's about the extent of my rebelliousness. 

I don't like Chrome because they make some stupid decisions within their software, and they play nanny just like all the others, but at least they haven't thrown away a decade's worth of developer support in an effort to make their own lives easier and life for the user much, much harder.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#1329 2019-11-09 09:36:46

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for November 9, 2019:

Elessar has gone to bed now, so I can post this.  misch_smiley

The Woodward Academy, Year 7, Chapter 11: April has been made public.
The Woodward Academy, Year 8, Chapter 5: October has been posted to PRM.

Warning if you plan to read this before going to bed:  It's 25,000 words long.  If you read slowly, you're going to be tired in the morning.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1330 2019-11-09 11:13:03

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Awesome 3dsmile

#1331 2019-11-09 21:52:46

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

By the way, if anyone cares:  I figured out what Chrome's "save file" bug is all about.  When you ask Chrome to save a page, it redownloads the page.  This is fine and dandy for a normal page, but if the page was obtained by using a form of some kind, Chrome will not re-send that data.  It thus downloads what is essentially a broken page.

Why it does this is anyone's guess.  It already HAS the page I want in memory.  Just dump the damned thing to disk, you fucking morons.

Eric Storm

[edit] This seems like such stupid behavior, I have to wonder if maybe one of my extensions is causing it.  I'll have to check on that.

[edit2] Nope, it's Chrome being stupid.  I turned off every single one of my extensions, and it still did it.  What kind of fucknuts thinks like this?

----
Facebook page

#1332 2019-11-24 06:12:37

fathertyme
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

What kind of fucknuts thinks like this?

The same fucktards that buy a $20k computer to develop on and then can't figure out why everyone complains about how poorly the program runs on their machines

#1333 2019-11-24 06:49:04

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

*nods*  Or the people who write an app that uses up 7MB of memory for COM PORT communication.  A DOS programmer could have fit this same app into 64K!

Technological advancement has the tendency to make people dumber.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1334 2019-11-25 07:45:27

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for November 25, 2019:

The Woodward Academy, Year 8, Chapter 6: November has been started.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1335 2019-12-16 05:29:42

Elessar
Completely Blotto

Awesome! Hows the story going thus far TODAY? (Forum not talk)

Eric Storm wrote:

Update for November 25, 2019:

The Woodward Academy, Year 8, Chapter 6: November has been started.

Eric Storm

#1336 2019-12-16 11:17:54

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Elessar wrote:

Hows the story going thus far TODAY?

This sort of question is RUDE, and should NEVER be asked, under ANY circumstances.  If I, or any other author, wanted you to know how much writing we did yesterday, today, or last week, we would post about it.  All you're doing is needlessly putting pressure on an author who has enough shit to worry about in their life.

You want to have a daily appraisal of my writing?  Hire me to write*, and I'll give you one.  Otherwise, mind your own fucking business.  What I voluntarily post here about my progress is all anyone actually needs to hear.  Let's face it, it's pretty obvious that if I'm not posting, I'm not making progress.  Why would you feel the need to rub that in my face?  Unless, that is, you want to make writing and posting an uncomfortable and unpleasant activity for me...  Your harassment is in no way motivational.  It is, in fact, about as de-motivational as it can get.

Now, you want to explain to the rest of the readership why you're attempting to slow down their ability to read?

Eric Storm

* Don't even think about it.  You can't afford me.

----
Facebook page

#1337 2019-12-17 00:12:00

Elessar
Completely Blotto

Can’t slow down something I know nothing about.

Although my forum post was because you wouldn’t talk about it on discord. It’s now something entirely different,
Since I do tend to try and ask just in case you may be stuck on something and need an off the wall idea, or you want to run something past a reader.

Eric Storm wrote:

Elessar wrote:

Hows the story going thus far TODAY?

This sort of question is RUDE, and should NEVER be asked, under ANY circumstances.  If I, or any other author, wanted you to know how much writing we did yesterday, today, or last week, we would post about it.  All you're doing is needlessly putting pressure on an author who has enough shit to worry about in their life.

You want to have a daily appraisal of my writing?  Hire me to write*, and I'll give you one.  Otherwise, mind your own fucking business.  What I voluntarily post here about my progress is all anyone actually needs to hear.  Let's face it, it's pretty obvious that if I'm not posting, I'm not making progress.  Why would you feel the need to rub that in my face?  Unless, that is, you want to make writing and posting an uncomfortable and unpleasant activity for me...  Your harassment is in no way motivational.  It is, in fact, about as de-motivational as it can get.

Now, you want to explain to the rest of the readership why you're attempting to slow down their ability to read?

Eric Storm

* Don't even think about it.  You can't afford me.

#1338 2019-12-17 03:34:13

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

And yet you didn't take the hint that, "I wouldn't talk about it on Discord."

And... let's be truthful here.  I have several times hinted that I am looking for ideas for Agent of Change.  Those comments in chat have gone completely ignored.  So... yeah, not buying the idea that you're giving me the opportunity to bounce ideas off someone.

Oh, and...

Elessar wrote:

Can’t slow down something I know nothing about.

This one wins you the "dumb quote of the week" award.  Example: A family you don't know is planning a trip out of state.  You, for whatever reason, come along and let all the air out of their tires.  You have slowed down their trip.  Did you need to know they were taking a trip to slow it down?  No, you did not.  All you had to do was act irresponsibly.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1339 2019-12-18 00:09:45

Elessar
Completely Blotto

Hinting and saying flat out, are very different. I don’t take hints that serious. Just like speed limits, it’s mostly a suggestion. You can go a couple over or a couple under. I would be happy to give hints for AC. I’ll have to reread it to be accurate but I would enjoy doing that if you would like rather than hint.

#1340 2019-12-18 05:24:44

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

In other words, you don't care enough to infer the meaning of what someone's saying to you.  How nice.

Eric Storm

PS:  Just so you don't have to figure out what I'm hinting at here:  You just admitted to being a prick.

----
Facebook page

#1341 2019-12-18 05:35:44

Elessar
Completely Blotto

Yes, I am a prick. I have no problem admitting to that. I also must apologize. I used the word 'hint' in space of the word 'ideas', which is completely wrong. Also, I am a direct person, if things aren't explain exactly and specifically to me, I typically don't understand them or assume the topic explained isn't worth the extra effort of explaining it.

Eric Storm wrote:

In other words, you don't care enough to infer the meaning of what someone's saying to you.  How nice.

Eric Storm

PS:  Just so you don't have to figure out what I'm hinting at here:  You just admitted to being a prick.

#1342 2019-12-26 21:26:08

Elessar
Completely Blotto

Just here to see how things are going, hope they are doing well. Will probably have a moment to donate to help out with the new year. Hope for the best.

#1343 2020-01-16 17:05:27

ChiefRock
Wasted

Anyone still alive out there?

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#1344 2020-01-16 22:34:50

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Do I count?

#1345 2020-01-17 00:38:47

ChiefRock
Wasted

darthel0101 wrote:

Do I count?

Of course buddy just wondered

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#1346 2020-01-17 20:27:41

Crusader
Wasted

darthel0101 wrote:

Do I count?

A test: how many letters are in the word test?

If you answer 4 not only do you count, but you do it well.
If you answer something else, you do not count.

Last edited by Crusader (2020-01-17 20:28:23)

#1347 2020-01-17 23:24:10

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Excuse me, there are only three letters in the word "test".  It's just that one of them is repeated.

3dtongue

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1348 2020-01-18 03:05:25

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

Is someone being testy today?

#1349 2020-01-18 05:44:47

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Now THAT has four letters in it!  3dbig_smile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#1350 2020-01-18 05:45:47

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Before someone else says it:  No, "That" doesn't.  It still only has three.  3dtongue  But I was referring to "testy", so there!  Nyah!  3dtongue

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer