Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1326 2019-11-08 02:46:06

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Writing Status

Hakhazar:

I can understand that.  I switched to Chrome simply because I felt so utterly betrayed by Firefox that I couldn't stomach using them anymore.

Eric Storm

PS:  There IS a way to get to the Chrome bookmarks menu via keyboard, but I freely admit it's harder than it should be.  (It's ALT-F + B)

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Please don't be an asshole to me, because then I'll have to be an asshole to you... and I'm MUCH better at being an asshole than you are.

#1327 2019-11-08 02:59:33

IBSwimmin
Inebriated

I used to use Chrome for everything, but I've been trying to limit what Google can get from me. What really got me to change back to Firefox is all of the history Google had saved on me. For example, every time I had used voice to text (going back to 2012!!) they had saved that recording. You can actually go on your account and listen to it... So I cleared that history, and turned on every "do not track" that they have. And now the only thing I still use them for is my email - but that's only because I'm still working out what more private option i want to go with 

When I was going to school, I was ok with our Google overlords knowing everything. Now I'm trying to limit my reliance on not just them, but all of the big tech companies like Amazon and Apple. I know it's impossible, and we can't go back to 90's level of anominity, but I'm trying to take at least a little bit of my privacy back.

#1328 2019-11-08 07:21:17

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I have given up on privacy concerns.  There is virtually no way to actually be private without becoming an off-the-grid hermit, and honestly, I don't really give a shit what anyone knows about me, anyway.  Yes, I use DuckDuckGo instead of Google, but that's about the extent of my rebelliousness. 

I don't like Chrome because they make some stupid decisions within their software, and they play nanny just like all the others, but at least they haven't thrown away a decade's worth of developer support in an effort to make their own lives easier and life for the user much, much harder.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Please don't be an asshole to me, because then I'll have to be an asshole to you... and I'm MUCH better at being an asshole than you are.

#1329 2019-11-09 09:36:46

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for November 9, 2019:

Elessar has gone to bed now, so I can post this.  misch_smiley

The Woodward Academy, Year 7, Chapter 11: April has been made public.
The Woodward Academy, Year 8, Chapter 5: October has been posted to PRM.

Warning if you plan to read this before going to bed:  It's 25,000 words long.  If you read slowly, you're going to be tired in the morning.

Eric Storm

----

#1330 2019-11-09 11:13:03

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Awesome 3dsmile

#1331 2019-11-09 21:52:46

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

By the way, if anyone cares:  I figured out what Chrome's "save file" bug is all about.  When you ask Chrome to save a page, it redownloads the page.  This is fine and dandy for a normal page, but if the page was obtained by using a form of some kind, Chrome will not re-send that data.  It thus downloads what is essentially a broken page.

Why it does this is anyone's guess.  It already HAS the page I want in memory.  Just dump the damned thing to disk, you fucking morons.

Eric Storm

[edit] This seems like such stupid behavior, I have to wonder if maybe one of my extensions is causing it.  I'll have to check on that.

[edit2] Nope, it's Chrome being stupid.  I turned off every single one of my extensions, and it still did it.  What kind of fucknuts thinks like this?

----

#1332 2019-11-24 06:12:37

fathertyme
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

What kind of fucknuts thinks like this?

The same fucktards that buy a $20k computer to develop on and then can't figure out why everyone complains about how poorly the program runs on their machines

#1333 2019-11-24 06:49:04

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

*nods*  Or the people who write an app that uses up 7MB of memory for COM PORT communication.  A DOS programmer could have fit this same app into 64K!

Technological advancement has the tendency to make people dumber.

Eric Storm

----

#1334 2019-11-25 07:45:27

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for November 25, 2019:

The Woodward Academy, Year 8, Chapter 6: November has been started.

Eric Storm

----

Board footer