You are not logged in.

#301 2019-11-12 20:45:01

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 8, The

da gut-bomb, maybe...  3dtongue

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#302 2019-11-12 21:27:47

Josh.Bond
Inebriated

Love you getting Worf and the Duke boys into this. Are you going to add Denver Pyle and Sorrell Booke in? Love it! Keep up the good work!

(posted from Chapter 5: October)

#303 2019-11-12 21:37:07

neolyn
Wasted

WA is really amazing. Came for the sex(not literally) stay for the plot ( and I don't mean Japanese anime "plot").

I liked the chapter, a lot. Way better than the previous one. I laughed at the  earth tech part.

Previously I complained a lot about not seeing side characters enough. With this chapter I'm satisfied. 5 out 8 favourite characters seen, I consider it a win.
I'm glad There was a part about Emile's arc. Been waiting for too long ( story-wise) for that.

I consider that chapter the best of the book so far ( yeah above the one where there is snu-snu with Vivian and the return of the cutest centaur ever).
There is war related stuff, action and bureaucracy , side character development, Main character development, plot development.
And above all : well mixed.

I don't think I saw anything "bad" in it.
I would  have love  a longer part with Zyla and her life and supporting David (but I don't think it would have been something good, No traumatic event for David, and Zyla doesn't do much now ).

I do wonder why Zyla is not joinning David in his manor. She's a housewife, taking care of people living in the house. She would love to live there with all the people.

I almost forgot. I laughed Hard when David said to Gwen that he was with all the women in her family. I laughed harder when she said she doesn't count and David said that she does.
And I forgot too, The aftermath of the talk between Denise and her daughters about Roy being gay and  Roy leaving. What does Anne and Gwen think about the ordeal.

Neither Denise, Anne or Gwen blame David for killing Nick . We know that for Denise it's because she knew Nick was power hungry and that David is honest, but it is that way too for Anne and Gwen ? I mean Gwen trust David almost blindly, but did she know about what kind of person Nick was ?

If all three knew, specially Denise, how come Roy refuse to believe it ? Did he  know so little about  his own son or is he in denial ? What kind of father is he if he didn't know how this son was ? He always seems supportive and nice, attentive to his family. Him reacting like he did,( well I , was expecting it, it was the perfect time for a little twist, after Denise thing and all) that really came out of nowhere.

Can we expect to see or hear about David's parent again ?

Anyway, good chapter, good job!

EDIT:

Since there is 7 books and people are usually referred by their first name, Whose father was Flyn ? The last name is familiar, And I think it's Flo . Can we expect a Flo ( or flyn's daughter that David knows) confrontation with David ?

Last edited by neolyn (2019-11-12 21:42:38)

#304 2019-11-12 21:43:34

Josh.Bond
Inebriated

And FYI SOS is good stuff. Catherine Bach added in for good measure? Or Michael A. Long? Sorry ADHD rabbit tracks.

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#305 2019-11-12 23:23:52

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

neolyn wrote:

I would  have love  a longer part with Zyla and her life and supporting David (but I don't think it would have been something good, No traumatic event for David, and Zyla doesn't do much now ).

Zyla didn't do that much before.  But as you point out, for Zyla to be supportive of David, David has to suffer a trauma.  This chapter didn't provide one.

I do wonder why Zyla is not joinning David in his manor. She's a housewife, taking care of people living in the house. She would love to live there with all the people.

I answered this.  She needs her own space to deal with the loss of Joe, which she has clearly not even come to terms with yet, let alone gotten past the grieving stage.

And just FYI, "housewife" does not equal "maid".  As a housewife, she would enjoy taking care of her husband, not a hundred people she doesn't know.  Keep in mind also that she doesn't like stressful situations, and living in someone else's house is quite stressful.  TRUST ME.

Neither Denise, Anne or Gwen blame David for killing Nick . We know that for Denise it's because she knew Nick was power hungry and that David is honest, but it is that way too for Anne and Gwen ? I mean Gwen trust David almost blindly, but did she know about what kind of person Nick was ?

Maybe, maybe not.  They might have had an inkling of his underlying thirst for power.  But for both Gwen and Anne it is far, far simpler:  They both know David so well that they know he would not have killed Nick if it were not either an accident, or a necessary act.  As such, they are obliged to accept David's account of the event, which means they have to accept that Nick had turned traitor.

Keep in mind that, if their parents hadn't talked to Nick in a year, his sisters probably hadn't seen him in even longer than that... and they are both mature enough to understand how much a person could change in that amount of time.  As such, whether they had seen this... "penchant" in Nick before, they'd both know that he could have turned, and so would accept that he did.

If all three knew, specially Denise, how come Roy refuse to believe it ? Did he  know so little about  his own son or is he in denial ? What kind of father is he if he didn't know how this son was ? He always seems supportive and nice, attentive to his family. Him reacting like he did,( well I , was expecting it, it was the perfect time for a little twist, after Denise thing and all) that really came out of nowhere.

You find it unusual for a person to be irrational where their relatives - especially their children - are concerned?

There is also the added dynamic that "everyone" - including his wife and children - is siding against him.  This often causes people to double down on their opinion, feeling ganged-up on, and to take the view that, "someone has to carry this side of the argument."  As such, what had started out as a simple distrust of David's story could, through the negative emotions that just feed on themselves, be ramped up into an obsessive hatred of David, and by extension, those who support him.

Can we expect to see or hear about David's parent again ?

At some point in the future of the Dugerraverse, you will see David's parents again.  When that will be and under what circumstances, I'm not saying.

Since there is 7 books and people are usually referred by their first name, Whose father was Flyn ? The last name is familiar, And I think it's Flo . Can we expect a Flo ( or flyn's daughter that David knows) confrontation with David ?

Flo's last name is Tractus.  Ms. Charbonneau's first name was Sarah.  She appears in Book 1, and I even mentioned that her father was a royal court scribe.  "I'm sorry" that you didn't get the reference. 

3dwink

As to a confrontation between Sarah and David... given the last contact they had with each other, I really don't think she'd be stupid enough to confront him over this.  I'm pretty sure David would utter the line, "Betrayal of duty seems to run in your family."

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#306 2019-11-12 23:29:19

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Josh.Bond wrote:

And FYI SOS is good stuff.

To paraphrase Douglas Adams:  This is obviously some strange usage of the word "good" that I wasn't previously aware of.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#307 2019-11-13 06:58:38

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Josh.Bond wrote:

And FYI SOS is good stuff. Catherine Bach added in for good measure? Or Michael A. Long? Sorry ADHD rabbit tracks.

Who the hell is Michael A. Long?

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#308 2019-11-13 14:46:13

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

#309 2019-11-13 15:09:29

Josh.Bond
Inebriated

Who the hell is Michael A. Long?

Eric Storm

That was Michael Knights original name in Knight Rider.

#310 2019-11-13 15:11:37

NobfromOz
Inebriated

Sorry Eric, if you have posted this before, but can you please. list the order of Rank in the army that, David serves in?

#311 2019-11-13 19:31:07

darthel0101
Completely Blotto

#312 2019-11-13 19:50:49

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Josh.Bond:  Just a tip:  If you're going to start talking about an entirely different show, you might want to point that out.  Here I am, combing through the cast of DoH for some guy named Long... and you weren't even referencing an actor name, but a character...  Sheesh.

3dtongue

Darthel: Thank you for posting the link, but given that there was more than one question going on at the time, it really would have been helpful if you'd posted at the very least, a named link, like this:
Callamandian Army Rank Structure

NobFromOz: see the above link.  3dsmile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#313 2019-11-13 22:18:29

Josh.Bond
Inebriated

Like I said ADHD rabbit tracks, For no apparent reason it turns.

#314 2019-11-16 00:27:36

StoryJunkie
Wasted

I like how things said and done from before the war started are going to be looked into (by Tanya) and not forgotten, and as much as I like reading about the stuff he comes up with in the war to take out the enemy, I hope things don't last much longer and he can get the time to try and find more the elemental shield and get back to working with his teachers on new things.

Great chapter Eric, I look forward to the next as always.

#315 2019-11-16 01:31:00

neolyn
Wasted

I remember Sarah now. Haven't read about that b*tch since my last read of Book 1 about two years ago. The father is a traitor, the daughter is a freaking racist... What a family.

#316 2019-11-16 15:02:27

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

I'm not sure Sarah was a total racist, otherwise she never would of slept with David since she knew he was a demighost.  She did make a racist comment against the centaurs, but my opinion is that it was said in anger at having to spend the day at the games and give up whatever plans she may have had for that day.  Of course David and Giendia flirting with each other didn't help Sarah's mood any either.  She struck me as way more selfish, then racist.  As to her father, or whomever is a traitor... I guess I'm just missing the reference.

I still want to see lil ol' Markie make a return though... maybe as a plain old soldier at the new base David is going to be at.  I would love to see David making Markie boy salute him every time he walked by.  Of course, the drop and give me 50 order would also be nice if Markie didn't salute quick enough, or at all.  Of course that presumes he made citizenship and isn't about to be sent to earth.  There is also the dig about the coat David bought him that could come up in the story... 'how's that coat I bought you Markie, nice and safe?'

I'd also like to see David go back to school and finish his year 8 so he actually has the title 'Master Wizard'.  Another story arc in the Earth/Dugerra universe would also be nice to see, but I can wait a bit if you're near to burning out on it, Eric.

#317 2019-11-16 21:41:05

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Barbarian3165 wrote:

I'm not sure Sarah was a total racist, otherwise she never would of slept with David since she knew he was a demighost.  She did make a racist comment against the centaurs, but my opinion is that it was said in anger

Things said in anger usually reveal the truth about a person's actual feelings.  Your "mouth filter" goes on hiatus.  But I agree she is not "racist", as that would eliminate David as a possibility for a partner.  She's apparently just opposed to half-breeds.

As to her father, or whomever is a traitor... I guess I'm just missing the reference.

You're missing the reference that started this entire thread of conversation?  Sarah Charbonneau, Flynn Charbonneau... book 1, book 8... ?

I still want to see lil ol' Markie make a return though... maybe as a plain old soldier at the new base David is going to be at.  I would love to see David making Markie boy salute him every time he walked by.  Of course, the drop and give me 50 order would also be nice if Markie didn't salute quick enough, or at all.

While I admit this would be amusing, Marcus' skills were not good enough for them to have even bothered conscripting him.  And he would obviously never have joined voluntarily.

Another story arc in the Earth/Dugerra universe would also be nice to see, but I can wait a bit if you're near to burning out on it, Eric.

Not at all, but I only have one other storyline thought up for the Dugerraverse, and I'm not sure it's a story that would make good reading, so...  If anyone has thoughts about other Dugerraverse stories, they are welcome to speak up.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#318 2019-11-16 21:47:46

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I guess I should also point out, just to clear up misconceptions anyone may have:  There would not be any large number of "plain old soldiers" at Scout Company 1 Headquarters.  It's an administrative base.  Of course, the soldiers that had been stationed at ANFCC-East will now be at SC1HQ when not on a mission... but if Marcus was part of that group, David would have already run into him.  The only other soldiers living at HQ would be the security force.  Almost everyone else there would be some version of a clerk.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#319 2019-11-21 15:48:03

Kevin1952
Tipsy

Excellent as always.

#320 2019-12-12 10:45:38

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Out of curiosity, I have a couple questions...

First, how complete or problematic is the anti-divination?  I'm more interested in things like the Rimohr recorders and the things mirrors used to view something like the centaur games.

Second, would the low-light, or night vision David added to a Rimohr recorder be messed with by anti-divination magic?

Third, David's drone that was used at the end of the burglary case, any chance that could be directed... i.e. some kind of drone like remote control?

I think David's drone with a see through mirror enhanced Rimohr recorder with low-light and thermographic vision that could be controlled and maneuvered could be a big help to base and military security.  It could even help serveil areas around troops on the move when they stop to make camp.

Just thinking out loud... but it could cut down on the nighttime surprises for Calamandian troops.  Depending on camp/base size you could have two, or more drones each monitored by a soldier on guard duty sending the things out beyond the base or camp perimeter for advanced warning.

#321 2019-12-12 10:48:44

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Oh, one more question... could the Rimohr recorder be made so that it doesn't view the Calamandian soldiers, camp(s) or base(s)?  That way if the mirror link between the drone and the remote viewer, even if intercepted, would give limited if any information away to the enemy.

#322 2019-12-12 21:05:10

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, let's cover the big one first, then I'll get into the smaller issues.

Do you honestly believe that if there was a way around the anti-divination hex employed by BOTH sides, they wouldn't be using it already?  Anything that could allow present-day divination is going to be obstructed by the hex. 

I have to say this very clearly: it's not preventing ALL divination.  We know this because David has used Runic Interpretation on an after-action investigation, so we know not ALL forms are blocked.  It is blocking what is considered militarily useful... or perhaps there simply is no hex capable of blocking the other forms, who knows?  (Okay, yes, I know, because it's my universe.  Hush.)  The hex being used blocks all forms of "current day" divination.  Mirrors, viewing lenses, hydromancy... and yes, recorders.

Now, just for completeness, some of the other questions:

The "low light" spell that David employed on the recorder (in the case of the oilwood guitar, for those who, like me, had trouble remembering what you were referring to) is not a divinatory enchantment, so that, by itself, would not be affected.  The recorder, however, would be, so it's not exactly relevant to your question.

Could a recorder-drone be "remote controlled"?  Yes, I'm sure that's possible, but again, you'd need divinatory objects to do it, as that would be the only way for communication to pass between the controller and the drone.

I think David's drone with a see through mirror enhanced Rimohr recorder with low-light and thermographic vision that could be controlled and maneuvered could be a big help to base and military security.  It could even help serveil areas around troops on the move when they stop to make camp.

Precisely why the anti-divination hex is used: to prevent just such things from being used by the other side.  Hell, you even mention a mirror in your description, which you already knew wasn't going to work...

As to preventing certain images from appearing on the recorders, the best that could be done is an anti-recognition hex, which would just make certain things blurry.  So, you'd know something interesting was in that spot, you just wouldn't know what.  You'd be able to give it a good guess based on the size of the blur, however.  IF this were a possibility (the whole recon drone idea, that is), you COULD use this to trick your enemy.  Apply an anti-recognition hex to an empty section of forest, make them think that's where you are.  Wait for them to go there, and then attack somewhere else.  But that's a moot point, as this recon drone idea is a non-starter.

An additional concern: the recon drone, even if it could be made, would be emitting magical energy.  It flies, it divines, and in your version it's even being controlled.  That would be detectable, and so would give away the position of, at least, the drone.  If you're using it as a method of guarding something, then you've also just revealed the position of what's being guarded.  Like using an AWACS to guard an aircraft carrier, it's REALLY hard to hide where the carrier is if the AWACS is actually using active radar.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#323 2019-12-31 01:46:42

thehilz
Completely Blotto

What would happen if David were to try to banish a ghost that had been consumed by a mortessor? Would the ghost be freed from the mortessor or would something else happen?

#324 2019-12-31 03:33:47

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I'm thinking that David might be just a tad too busy worrying about not getting his own ass imprisoned inside the mortessor to concern himself with banishing someone else out of the mortessor.  David is in much graver danger from the beast than any normal ghost.  Realize that a normal ghost has an immediate out.  Granted, it means their total annihilation, but it's better than continual suffering and torment.  If David could not find a way to escape, he would be stuck there eternally.

Also realize that the banishment ritual is going to be virtually impossible to cast under these circumstances.  You would have to get the mortessor to stand perfectly still over top the inscribed hexagram on the ground, so that the ghost could be "captured" before banishment.  This is unlikely in the extreme, as it would be trying to attack David, and would have no need to stand still.

However, if he were to actually try it, the result is undefined.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#325 2020-01-01 07:36:58

Timberwolf92
Inebriated

thehilz wrote:

What would happen if David were to try to banish a ghost that had been consumed by a mortessor? Would the ghost be freed from the mortessor or would something else happen?

I would have thought that the banishment spell couldn’t work in Haven. Or is it a type of ghost magic too? Is the reason that only a demighost can banish another ghost because it is a ‘solid’ spell that works in Haven?
Btw Happy New Year everyone

Board footer