The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-06 13:46:34

Lacy69
Inebriated

Download issues

I am noticing that stories under a certain amount you can download but stories like potential and girls in the grass well not let you down load it searches for the file and i have went 5 minutes with no results

thanks

#2 2019-01-06 19:22:12

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Download issues

I have tested this, and discovered the issue is not length of story.  There seem to be specific chapters that cause issues with the zipping process.  I will try to look into this, but I hold out very little hope of figuring out what's causing the problem.  I may have to simply look for a different function library to do the zipping with.

Please be patient.
Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Please don't be an asshole to me, because then I'll have to be an asshole to you... and I'm MUCH better at being an asshole than you are.

#3 2019-01-06 20:41:23

Lacy69
Inebriated

Thank you for the response also just to let you know that i have downloaded Girls in the Grass and it worked in the past. Not sure if that will help you

#4 2019-03-07 15:56:12

geolaw
Tipsy

I've noticed it too - on my phone I will eventually get a time out. if I click back and then click the button again, sometimes it will download it immedialtey, other times it will go through another timeout

Could be server side with it trying to read from the database, write to disk, and then assemble the zip file.

I've also written a script on my local computer (linux) that takes the .zip file, unpacks, tweaks the table of contents, then creates an epub from it.
(based on the calibre ebook reader ebook-convert program). 

Admin willing to trade some access for server/programming? 3dsmile

#5 2019-03-07 16:19:38

geolaw
Tipsy

This is what I just got about 11:17AM EST March 7th

Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Additionally, a 503 Service Unavailable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I clicked back, clicked Download again and boom, it downloaded immediately

#6 2019-03-07 16:35:23

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

1.  No, I'm not about to give anyone access to my account.  I've been burned on website issues already.  Especially since I'm trying to create a NEW version of the site, not prop up this decaying beast.
2. Any error that talks about server availability is completely beyond my control.  GoDaddy controls the server, not me.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Please don't be an asshole to me, because then I'll have to be an asshole to you... and I'm MUCH better at being an asshole than you are.

#7 2019-08-05 03:24:54

Doc Spratley
Inebriated

Ahhhhh! The fun with technology.  Please post a note when and if you get this problem rectified.  TTFN

#8 2019-11-05 10:09:04

SS54
Tipsy

Eric:

I have a question for you about The Wolf Pub. I have seen no stories updated in over a month. That includes The Woodward Acadamy. I am just wondering if it is just my computer or is it infact that no postings have happened? I love this site and would hate to miss any stories. 3dhmm                             Thanks for All You Do For This Site.

#9 2019-11-05 10:28:12

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Content production on this site is at a low, yes.  There will be a release of WAY8 within the next week or so, but this site is basically dead, unfortunately.

Eric Storm

----

#10 2019-11-06 13:14:54

SS54
Tipsy

Thank you for the info. As I said this is my favorite site on the web and I love your writting.

#11 2019-12-04 23:35:11

SS54
Tipsy

I may have a temporary fix for the long story down loads! I have found that after your down load fails refresh the page and then try it.  It worked well for me. It may also work for you also. All I can say is give it a shot!

#12 2019-12-04 23:41:18

SS54
Tipsy

Sorry Eric that will not help with the site Problem but it may help the people get the downloads they want!

Last edited by SS54 (2019-12-04 23:42:01)

Board footer