The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-08 03:49:25

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Chat opportunity

I have activated my Discord server in an attempt to re-establish a closer relationship with the visitors to this website.

Invite link to The Storm Cellar

There is currently only the one channel: nsfw-mystic_wolf_pub  (The NSFW tag in the name is necessary for any unfiltered channel.)

I will sit in this room as much as I can, but don't count on my necessarily being attentive at any particular moment.

This site had a chat room on IRC many years ago.  We stopped for issues of time and some ill feelings between participants.  Now that I am isolated again, I'm hoping this will help me keep contact with people.  So, feel free to stop by and say hi.

NOTE:

Several people have complained that they cannot see the history in the Discord chat.

This is by design.

As operated by me, Discord is not some kind of forum.  It is a chat room.  As a chat room, you should not have access to a conversation you were not present for.  This allows people to speak more freely, based on just the people who are currently in the chat room, as opposed to having to worry about everyone seeing what they've said.

You may think this is just about people bitching, but there are also personal conversations that can happen... or conversations about stories.  If I and some of my reviewers were in chat discussing the future of WAY8 or AC, I would NOT want that information available to everyone.

One thing I do not appreciate is that Discord won't even let you see a history of the stuff you WERE present for, which to me is just dumb.  As such, I'm already looking for an alternative to Discord.  My natural tendency is to go back to IRC.  I'm trying to see if I can find a good IRC client I can put into the website directly, so that people won't have to install yet another app.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2019-08-13 11:57:49

bistander
Wasted

Re: Chat opportunity

Okay, I followed that link and signed up, but I have no idea what for or how to use it.

#3 2019-08-14 00:44:07

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You should see the chat room in your browser window.  You type in the lower middle of the screen.  If the chat isn't showing, then you may need to click the server's button on the left-hand side of the window.  (Probably shows as a big TSC button.)

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2019-08-14 01:11:49

Blackie
Inebriated

Well. For some odd reason, the application wanted my phone number. psssfffft. I have a hard time believing that was YOUR requirement.

-Himself

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing." -Randy K. Milholland

#5 2019-08-14 01:51:59

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

No, but Discord is also an app, and I imagine it has phone-specific functions.  I don't remember giving it my phone number...

But then, I'm using the desktop application, so that probably makes a difference.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#6 2019-08-17 19:50:06

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

NOTICE:

I will add this message to the initial post so people can see it easily, but this will make the forum tell you a change has occurred, so it gets its own message, too:

Several people have complained that they cannot see the history in the Discord chat.

This is by design.

As operated by me, Discord is not some kind of forum.  It is a chat room.  As a chat room, you should not have access to a conversation you were not present for.  This allows people to speak more freely, based on just the people who are currently in the chat room, as opposed to having to worry about everyone seeing what they've said.

You may think this is just about people bitching, but there are also personal conversations that can happen... or conversations about stories.  If I and some of my reviewers were in chat discussing the future of WAY8 or AC, I would NOT want that information available to everyone.

One thing I do not appreciate is that Discord won't even let you see a history of the stuff you WERE present for, which to me is just dumb.  As such, I'm already looking for an alternative to Discord.  My natural tendency is to go back to IRC.  I'm trying to see if I can find a good IRC client I can put into the website directly, so that people won't have to install yet another app.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#7 2019-08-19 17:40:35

Blackie
Inebriated

Eric Storm wrote:

NOTICE:

This is by design.

good. not that you need any applause for doing that.

I remember using IRC ages ago. Like. 24 years or more?

-Himself

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing." -Randy K. Milholland

#8 2019-08-19 22:39:23

Elessar
Completely Blotto

So in regards to you having a conversation with your reviewers in the chat. It is possible to set them as a specific role and allow them into a different chat that the normal viewers are not allowed into. This would eliminate that issue entirely. However, I do mostly agree about the fact some conversations may be private and some may be more public and should be treated as such. I however PERSONALLY don't mind people reading my chat history, but that is a personal choice and not something everybody would agree with.

Eric Storm wrote:

NOTICE:

Eric Storm

#9 2019-08-24 04:46:08

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

For anyone who's noticed that I have not been in chat all week:  I have been dealing with some kind of injury to my right arm/shoulder that has been very painful, and I felt that reducing the amount of typing I was doing until it healed was a good idea.  I haven't done much of anything since last Friday, actually, including any writing at all.  3dsad

I will be back, don't worry.  It's probably gonna be a couple more days, though.  My arm is getting better, but it's still not 100%, and I don't want to re-injure it... however the hell I managed to hurt it in the first place...  3dhmm

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#10 2019-08-24 09:30:41

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Go ahead and take your time healing from the injury.  I'm sure we all want you back to 100 percent, if possible.  3dcool

Board footer