The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#901 2018-09-11 21:56:41

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Writing Status

Thank you, but I'd much rather take a long break from real life to work on my writing, artwork, and programming.  Those things help relieve my stress.  Unfortunately, when my stress reaches this level, I cease being actively creative, so I have to find some way to reduce the stress enough to allow my creativity to kick in, so that it can help reduce it further.

Since I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs, it makes that whole "stress reduction" thing tricky.

:-/

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#902 2018-09-12 17:49:31

bigfoot
Wasted

Elessar wrote:

I was curious if you had any suggestions of authors either similar writing style to your own that you have seen. This is off site of course.

Elessar - I searched low and high for the very same thing and have a few suggestions. A SciFi/Fantasy option would be Tefler's "Three Square Meals" available on Literotica or Storiesonline.net. A DoOver option would be rlfj's "A Fresh Start" on Storiesonline.net (I also like Charlie Foxtrot's "A New Past"). A high school/sports option is G Younger's "Stupid Boy" series on Storiesonline.net.

#903 2018-09-13 10:27:46

StoryJunkie
Wasted

bigfoot wrote:

Elessar wrote:

I was curious if you had any suggestions of authors either similar writing style to your own that you have seen. This is off site of course.

Elessar - I searched low and high for the very same thing and have a few suggestions. A SciFi/Fantasy option would be Tefler's "Three Square Meals" available on Literotica or Storiesonline.net. A DoOver option would be rlfj's "A Fresh Start" on Storiesonline.net (I also like Charlie Foxtrot's "A New Past"). A high school/sports option is G Younger's "Stupid Boy" series on Storiesonline.net.

rflj also has a pretty good almost pure action story....the Grim Reaper

as for the stories he suggested, I have read (or in the process of reading Three Square Meals and Stupid Boy as they are not finished yet) all of them and they are good stories. I follow them and re-read the others almost as much as I do Woodward Academy

#904 2018-09-13 18:57:00

bigfoot
Wasted

StoryJunkie wrote:

"The Grim Reaper" was very good and he followed it up with a bunch of short stories "TGR: Adventures in Southern Law Enforcement" parts of which were very funny.

#905 2018-09-13 20:13:48

Bckeen
Tipsy

StoryJunkie wrote:

bigfoot wrote:

Elessar wrote:

as for the stories he suggested, I have read (or in the process of reading Three Square Meals and Stupid Boy as they are not finished yet) all of them and they are good stories. I follow them and re-read the others almost as much as I do Woodward Academy

I would recommend the John Carter universe this can be seen on storiesonline.net.

#906 2018-09-14 05:24:00

Jefferson
Completely Blotto

I won't recommend specific stories but I can recommend a few authors:

Lazlo Zalezac, the author of the above mentioned "John Carter" series has written a number of REALLY REALLY great stories over on Storiesonline. I highly recommend anything and everything he's written.

Lubrican, also on StoriesOnline, is a great storyteller. His stories aren't quite so in-depth as Eric's and Lazlo's are but they are still really good stories. His short ones are good, his longer stories are better.

Imagineer, right here on the Pub is a great writer. His stories are also available on SOL.  He hasn't written a lot but what he has written, is usually very good.

Aroslav, also over on SOL, is a great writer but some of his stories are on the strange side... a sci-fi western supernatural comedy... Say what? But he's a really great writer and writes lots of different types of stories. If you don't like one, try another. There's bound to be one you like.

And of course, there's the great Don Lockwood, who has only recently returned to writing after a long absence. He tends to stick to the more romantic stories, but they're very well done.

#907 2018-09-15 21:31:38

peace2300
Inebriated

If you are looking for a good long read that's fun is go look for unknown here in the pub

#908 2018-09-16 06:58:56

Maverick7508
Inebriated

Oh man, when it comes to waiting for new releases I have to make myself forget about a book series for awhile. like with the dresden files, The Woodward Academy series had too many what if scenarios for year 8 running through my head right now. And some of them just sounds so fun. But with a good story patience is required, especially as the first chapter of year 8 is probably gonna do some shaping for the whole year, what with the fallout from Garibaldi and such, so taking the proper time to be in the needed mindset is perfect.

Even if it takes longer to get our grubby paws on it, we the fans always enjoy a story written well and with care. Take care, I'll probably be back to bug you guys again after christmas.

#909 2018-09-16 08:01:02

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Before you go, clean up those damned grubby paw marks off the furniture!

3dtongue

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#910 2018-09-21 04:56:38

Pudding5
Inebriated

Still a more reliable writing/release schedule than George.

#911 2018-09-21 05:08:12

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Sad that I know who you're talking about, even with a single, very common, first name...

But I'd hardly call being more reliable than Mr. Martin praiseworthy...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#912 2018-09-21 10:43:28

Crusader
Wasted

Pudding5 wrote:

Still a more reliable writing/release schedule than...

Patrick Rothfuss

Then again Patrick and George may be equal.

#913 2018-09-22 04:46:18

Shadowpayne
Tipsy

If you are talking about some other authors of interest, try Bannadin on SOL.  His 9th grade series are solid.  He weaves real history as well as characters from other great writers throughout the journey. (WEB Griffen for one).  John Conroe is a self published author that has a fantastic series, well worth the read.  (Amazon unlimited)

#914 2018-09-30 02:02:18

ChiefRock
Wasted

Eric can we have an update?

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#915 2018-09-30 03:04:34

Elessar
Completely Blotto

ChiefRock wrote:

When he has time. More he checks in with us, less time he has to focus on everything else.

Last edited by Elessar (2018-09-30 03:15:32)

#916 2018-09-30 05:20:29

ChiefRock
Wasted

Elessar wrote:

ChiefRock wrote:

When he has time. More he checks in with us, less time he has to focus on everything else.

I understand but this is the writing status thread. not the who else is writing thread or the whatever thread so my query stands

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#917 2018-10-01 00:14:55

Augur
Wasted

ChiefRock::

At the very least not for another week. Quite likely another month or two, depending on how life treats him and his family. He usually informs when he sends the next chapter to the reviewers and so far he hasn´t done so.

#918 2018-10-01 07:29:05

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

First, sorry for taking this long to respond to your question.  I think the remainder of my response will make it clear why I didn't answer right away.

Unfortunately, I did give you an update, the last time I mentioned my writing in this thread.

September has been a universally shitty month for us.  We had the problems with Slush (our cat) early in the month.  Then Keeshaba had to go to the dentist, and had to have a root canal done.  That was both emotionally and financially stressing.  Of course, we've been stressing over whether Slush will have another episode, though he and the other two cats are now on Urinary Control prescription diet.

Keeshaba's health has been problematic this month.  She had a second stye in her eye, she's been having troubles sleeping, an ear infection, pains in her foot, and just general fatigue.  I myself have been feeling much worse than usual.  For the last week I was suffering intestinal cramping and discomfort.  It was bad enough that, had it continued through this weekend, I would have felt compelled to go to the doctor.  Thank the Universe the cramps stopped yesterday.

Now it looks like we face the prospect of the loss of one of our ferrets.  A few months back, we had to take Cocoa in to have a tumor removed from her back leg.  Well, she has developed another lump in pretty much the same spot, and it appears to be growing.  If it turns out that it is that tumor returning, the vet has told us already that it wouldn't be worth it to try to take it out again: it means that it is so deeply "buried" in her leg that he can't surgically remove it.  The tumor we had removed initially was the size of a golf ball; she can't live like that.  So, if this lump we've spotted now continues to grow, it is her death warrant.  And if that happens, we will actually lose TWO ferrets, because we have already decided that, if we have to put Cocoa to sleep, we will re-home Snickelfritz to another ferret owner, so that he has playmates.  He can't safely play with Nimbus (our third ferret), due to her age, and he is rambunctious enough that he is going to need companions to release that energy on.

Not to mention that we already see signs of serious problems with Nimbus, so we don't know how much longer she'll be with us, either.  She's 7, though, which is about the life expectancy of a ferret (6-11 years is the "normal" range).  Top all that off with the fact that Bit, our 13yo miniature poodle, has a condition known as collapsing trachea, and that condition is getting worse pretty rapidly.  There's no telling when that will reach a point where we have to make the decision, for his own comfort, to put him to sleep.  And all this shit runs through my mind every time one of them sneezes, hiccups, or whines.

To top THAT off, earlier this week our air conditioner broke again... at 7:00 at night.  This is important because, though our AC is under warranty, the warranty doesn't cover "emergency" calls.  Our AC company considers anything at 7:00pm or later to be an emergency call.  We got lucky, and got the AC partially functional through the night, but it wasn't great.  Luckily, the guy came out the next day, found the problem (broken solder joint in the coolant piping inside the condenser unit), and fixed it right then.  No new parts needed, and it has been nice and cool in here since.  OH!  And to top THAT off, of course, when your AC doesn't work and it's 83 degrees in your house, you figure to open the windows to at least get a breeze, right?  WELL!  I tried that, and wound up with a broken window crank for my trouble.  Now, that wouldn't be a big deal, if I had just been unable to open the window.  But that's not what this meant.  The window crank actually holds this kind of window SHUT, which means that the window would no longer stay closed.  I had to duct tape the window shut temporarily just so the house would be sealed.  $30 and some modifications* to the new part later, and the window is fixed, but there's another $30 down the drain...

Less personal, but more long-lasting and seemingly ever-present, there was also all the political bullshit which has happened in the last few weeks.  I'm not going to say any more about that, because everyone has their own opinion of what's gone on, and my opinion plus $1.89 will get you a 20oz soda at Publix...  But watching it happen has gotten me seriously annoyed and further stressed out.  (Which is why I don't normally pay too much attention to politics, but this was something I consider important, so couldn't just ignore.)

...And then there's the finances, which are now somewhere south of "shitty".  We are, at this point, in serious financial trouble.  "Can't pay all our bills" level of trouble.  I'm trying to find a way to work all this out, but it's like wrangling a wet bar of soap: every time I think I've got a grip on things, the situation slips out of my fingers, smacks me in the face, stings my eyes, falls to the floor where I trip on it and smash my head into the wall, trying to get hold of it again.  I don't really know where this all ends up, quite frankly.  Keeshaba even started a GoFundMe page for us, in hopes that those who do not visit here might be able to help us out a little.  So far, it hasn't received a dime.

So, no, I haven't finished Chapter 1 yet.  I haven't written a single word all month.  Oh, I've tried several times.  I've opened the file and read the last couple scenes (which is what I usually do to kind of put my mind back into the feel of the story before I start to add to it)... but when I get to the part where I'm supposed to start writing down words... nothing happens.  I stare at it in frustration, anger, and a serious amount of emotional pain, and then I close the file again and try to forget about it for awhile.  Right now, my writing is just adding to my stress, instead of helping relieve it, and I don't really have room in my life for even more stress right now.

I will work on Chapter 1 just as soon as I can stomach it.  When that is going to be... I haven't got a fucking clue.  Even writing this missive has depressed and saddened me.  Please bear with me while my world collapses in on itself and my head explodes in a rainbow of pretty colors and the foulest-smelling stench you can imagine.

Eric Storm

* Why did I need to modify a brand-new part?  Because the fucking window is 60 years old, and I have no idea who made it, so I had to buy a part that "looked right".  Well, it wasn't an exact match, so I had to enlarge one attachment hole in order to make it all fit together.  That window will never again be opened by us... though theoretically it could be, I'm not taking the chance.

----
Facebook page

#919 2018-10-01 18:14:04

KaosKing
Inebriated

Sorry that your month has been garbage Eric, I hope things start looking up soon. Don't sweat it man

#920 2018-10-06 03:28:41

Jim Divan
Tipsy

Wow!  That's quite a month.  I've had to deal with pet illnesses, medical issues with both me and my wife (and the accompanying bills), AC dying at inconvenient times, and other unexpected expenses, but fortunately not all at the same time.  I'm glad the AC was easily fixed.  I live in South Florida, so I know how important a working AC is here.  I can't relate as much to fixing the window.  I'm a computer guy.  If I try to do something like that, it will most likely just get more messed up.

I don't think I've ever posted on here before, so while I'm at it, I wanted to say thanks for all of the stories you've written over the years.  I read the first part of CAMP ages ago on some Internet site (or possibly news group) and loved it.  Years later, I remembered it and searched for it online and found this website with the rest of the story (and a sequel!).  Since then, I've enjoyed your other stories as well as stories from the other authors on the site.  Woodward pulled me in so much that I had to donate to get access to the pre-release stuff so I wouldn't have to wait so long to read more!

All that to say, I love your stories and I hope everything works itself out and things get back to normal for you soon.

#921 2018-10-06 04:06:33

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Normal?  What's normal?
3dsmile

I'm not super-handy, either, partly due to my eye problems, partly due to being a bit of a klutz.  But I own this damned house, and so I have to learn to fix things if I don't want to shell out "bookoo bucks" (I don't feel like looking up the French spelling.  So sue me.) for something as simple as a sink drain or a broken window crank.  I do like woodworking, but again, not that great at it.  What I build tends to be ugly, but an elephant could stomp on it without doing much damage.

I'm glad you're enjoying the stories.  Hopefully you'll have something new to enjoy sometime in the near future.  I hate not writing as much as you guys hate not reading, so...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#922 2018-10-15 21:49:55

Sdragon
Inebriated
Website

Eric Storm wrote:

Normal?  What's normal?
3dsmile

I'm not super-handy, either, partly due to my eye problems, partly due to being a bit of a klutz.  But I own this damned house, and so I have to learn to fix things if I don't want to shell out "bookoo bucks" (I don't feel like looking up the French spelling.  So sue me.) for something as simple as a sink drain or a broken window crank.  I do like woodworking, but again, not that great at it.  What I build tends to be ugly, but an elephant could stomp on it without doing much damage.

I'm glad you're enjoying the stories.  Hopefully you'll have something new to enjoy sometime in the near future.  I hate not writing as much as you guys hate not reading, so...

Eric Storm

I'm usually pretty good at fixing things for the right price, depending on the person that could range from cash to just having a couple of beers and a good hang out afternoon, but that is neither here nor there I guess. Wish I could help out with something like that, at least it would be a little less stress off your shoulders. Oh, and sorry to hear about all the fur babies having problems.

#923 2018-10-21 03:18:30

Athenaky
Inebriated

Bckeen wrote:

StoryJunkie wrote:

bigfoot wrote:

I would recommend the John Carter universe this can be seen on storiesonline.net.

Some authors that I keep on my reading list are: Redsliver, Dark Pen, Number 7, Robberhands, colt45, technicdragons, Feral Lady, Mypennname3000, Dragon Cobalt, and captain sterling.  All of these can be found on storiesonline.  They all have their own themes and styles, but if you like the stuff on this site you should enjoy at least some of their things.  Most of them are either still publishing, or have finished all their stories. So not too many unfinished projects.  I absolutely recommend Tefler’s TSM, as it’s easily one of the best stories I’ve found online.  Plenty of action, plot and our favorite, cliff hangers.

#924 2018-10-25 07:28:17

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Update for October 25, 2018:

So, I actually wrote something for the first time since early September.  Don't get too excited: it was about a thousand words, and it didn't mark the completion of anything at all... not even the scene I was writing.

All I can say is that I hope I'll write more soon.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#925 2018-10-25 12:07:56

sacketts86
Inebriated

Finished or not it's awesome to hear you are writing again 😀

Board footer