The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#776 2018-07-12 17:23:11

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 7, The

I am extremely curious, as you're not the only person to express this basic concept of them:  What is it in my telling of this story that has led you to think of the weres as "raiders and scorched earth types"?  I have been seriously racking my brain trying to figure out what I've written that would give this impression.

As to weres in armor, I'm pretty sure that they would find that too confining.  Also, as they have three states of being, they'd need morphing armor, which sounds like it would be really expensive.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#777 2018-07-12 18:20:55

Archangel1962
Wasted

The way you've written them I get the impression a large group of Weres would have trouble following a single person's orders. I may have the wrong impression though. Also the way I read them reminds of the Mongols under Khan (pick one). Again just my impression. Overall I guess I just think they would be hard to organize and keep disciplined on a large scale.

BALLAD of The US Navy SEAL Teams
Im a lover, a fighter, I'm a UDT Navy SEAL diver. Last of the bare-knuckle fighters.
No muff too tough, I dive for five, tuck, suck, fuck, nibble and chew.I dine and interwine, masturbate, ejaculate and copulate.Been around the world twice, and talked to everyone once. Seen two white whales fuck, and been to two pigmy picnics.Met a man from Nantucket with a marble head and wooden cock, and ladies, if you dont like my face you can sit on it.

#778 2018-07-12 18:28:03

Archangel1962
Wasted

In our military people who have issues with regulations unless they are just completely unfit for military service tend to go SOF. Now it's not a universal rule. A independent person is more productive with others like them but to large a group and it starts to get dysfunctional. Think Navy SEALs or CAG. Great in small teams at DA and Intel gathering but take a large group of them (48+) and they become less cohesive and less effective.

Sorry if I'm not making sense. I guess what I'm trying to say if the Weres remind of SOF types. Therefore raids and Sabotage.

Im a lover, a fighter, I'm a UDT Navy SEAL diver. Last of the bare-knuckle fighters.
No muff too tough, I dive for five, tuck, suck, fuck, nibble and chew.I dine and interwine, masturbate, ejaculate and copulate.Been around the world twice, and talked to everyone once. Seen two white whales fuck, and been to two pigmy picnics.Met a man from Nantucket with a marble head and wooden cock, and ladies, if you dont like my face you can sit on it.

#779 2018-07-12 18:31:06

Archangel1962
Wasted

As to the way your telling the story it's not anything in particular. Just the vibe I get from them I guess.

#780 2018-07-12 19:32:34

ChiefRock
Wasted

No Eric I have nothing constructive to say. You have a good day

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#781 2018-07-13 01:45:23

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Archangel:

And here is, I think, what's happening: people are taking all the versions of werewolves they've seen previously in other media, and projecting that on to "my" werewolves.  The truth is, as far as I know, I really haven't written anything about what groups of werewolves are like.  We know they're aggressive... but then, so are Marines; aggressive doesn't necessarily say anything about their discipline level.

We know Vrudenans don't like being challenged.  We know that they tend to perform border raids before they go for all-out warfare.  We know that their process for leadership succession is violent and often bloody.  But... I'm not really sure we know much more than that about them, from the Dugerra universe.  If I'm forgetting something, people are welcome to point it out...

And, I mean, really... we know they have a 60,000-were army.  If they couldn't get those 60,000 weres to actually act together somehow, it wouldn't be much of an army, would it?  I said earlier that, once combat starts, they would have a tendency to be more aggressive and might... "forget" their tactics in favor of an all-out assault.  That doesn't mean, however, that a good commander wouldn't be able to organize and order his troops.  The trick is to work your soldiers' natural tendencies in your favor, rather than to your detriment.  I think we'll find that, for the most part, the Vrudenan Army is effective.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#782 2018-07-13 04:04:15

Archangel1962
Wasted

Fair enough. I look forward to seeing what you do in any case.

#783 2018-07-14 11:20:16

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Eric Storm wrote:

Portals != Travel Gates  (In non-computer terms, that's translated to "A portal and a travel gate are not the same thing.")

Furthermore... exactly what good would another travel gate within Vrudena do for the Vrudenan army?  They've already got four of them on their own soil.

Eric Storm

What if its a stable natural portal between the 2 countries instead alliwing the Verundians (sp?) To slip past the front lines but only in small numbers mayby is not stable and only open at certian times further exsplaining why it was an unknown phenomenon

I also feel like both sides would be accuiring food from earth so maybe David could be dealling w a sort if economic war on earth (with help from his dad maybe never said what he did maybe hes in finance)

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#784 2018-07-14 18:21:24

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Neitherspace wrote:

What if its a stable natural portal between the 2 countries instead alliwing the Verundians (sp?) To slip past the front lines but only in small numbers mayby is not stable and only open at certian times further exsplaining why it was an unknown phenomenon

In order to use any portal (and ALL portals are stable, and natural: that's the nature of portals...), you have to build a gateway to access it.  In other words, you have to know where both ends are (precisely), then you have to build a specific structure to make the portal nodes accessible to people.

I'm pretty sure the Callamandians would notice this portal structure in the middle of their country.

Not to mention, portals go both ways.  It would just become another battle front, because the Callamandians would be able to use it to slip past the Verundian... sorry, ahem, I mean VRUDENAN (why can't you guys spell this word?  I've been using it for seven full books now...)... battle front, as well.

I also feel like both sides would be accuiring food from earth so maybe David could be dealling w a sort if economic war on earth (with help from his dad maybe never said what he did maybe hes in finance)

Um... why would they be acquiring food from Earth?  These two nations have been feeding themselves without problem for a very long time.  They haven't suddenly gained a whole bunch of new people, they've simply moved them to a different spot.  There is absolutely no reason that they would need to outsource their food supply.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#785 2018-07-18 14:39:46

Malkav666
Tipsy

Sorry man,  remember we are trying to be helpful.

I've read a ton of books with battles or Wars described and Bernard cornwell is the best at it.  The details and writing style let's you truly imagine what it would be like where many authors seem to have great trouble writing realistic battles you included.
I thought it would be helpful to point you towards one of the masters of writing what will likely take up much of the next book.

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#786 2018-07-18 17:36:37

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, so time to become my administrator-self for a second here:

You have just violated a basic rule of this forum:  You've made a criticism without giving any concrete examples, nor any way to fix the problem.  "You're not doing it right" is completely useless information to an author, without additional information about what you feel is wrong, and how you feel it could be improved.  Until you provide details, this isn't constructive criticism: it's whining.

Now, back to my author self:

You have just committed a massive cardinal sin: you have told an author "write like this other guy".  Never, ever, EVER make any statement that approximates that sentence.  If every author wrote the same way, we would have no need for more than one author.  Just because you personally like the style of that other author doesn't mean that everyone does.  The details you adore so much, someone else may simply find tedious and annoying.  Point is, writing style is the one thing a writer really owns.  Telling them to change it is beyond rude: it's arrogant.

Now, I'd like you to explain, in detail, in what way my battles are unrealistic for the people fighting them.  If you're referring to the tactics they've used... how would you know?  Are you a psionic?  A wizard?  Ever met either one?  Then how would you know the manner in which they fight?

If you're referring to the emotional hell of war... well... are you a combat veteran?  I know I'm not...  And the only way you're ever going to "get that right" is to have experienced it first-hand.  Everything else is just somebody's imagination, and probably has about as much to do with reality as... wizards and psionics.

So, unless you'd like to be truly specific about your criticism, I do not have the time to take several weeks off to read someone else's work to make you happy about my battle scenes.

Malkav666 wrote:

remember we are trying to be helpful.

...How?  All you really did in your post was tell me that a particular portion of my writing sucks.  Did you honestly think that was going to be helpful?

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#787 2018-07-19 08:54:55

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Are there enough Vrudenans that are good enough at spells, charms, enchantments to pull of a really big trick?  What I'm thinking is a deception that might get the Calamandians to at least look if not move a significant force into an unpopulated area.  If feasable, some bit of magic that screams the magical equivalent of nuclear weapons testing.  If the Vrudenans could pull something like that off as deception, it could divert a large Calamandian force leaving other regions unprotected.  But then I don't know at what distance the Calamandians might be able to detect something like that... Could trickery be applied to divination in order to aid in that?  Maybe a false vision of some magical event that reeks havoc like a nuclear blast in a specific area or maybe chemical/biological warfare (false w.o.m.d.)?

#788 2018-07-20 00:27:49

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Divination is being blocked from both directions, so anything using that is out of the question.  Of course a deception is possible, but they'd have to be good enough to fool one or more of the scout troops that would be sent to investigate anything unusual.  Not at all impossible, just saying it would have to be that good.

They would probably have to disseminate disinformation like the Callamandians did in Hurmich, rather than relying on divination or any kind of long-distance detection.  But if it was a good enough ruse, it could cause the Callamandians to mis-step.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#789 2018-07-20 05:23:21

StoryJunkie
Wasted

I know you just said divination is being blocked by both sides, but if I remember right (and I could be wrong here) but didn't David (or someone he knows) divine a few small things by looking at the lower ranked leaders? If that has happened once, wouldn't someone check, at least once in a while, on these same people to try and get some small clues?

I'm just spit ballin' here, I used up all my good advice on the "sneak around the enemy by looking like an innocent Forrest creature" 3dhmm

#790 2018-07-20 06:04:41

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

That was not done by divination.  It was done by the ghosts.  The junior officers are not protected by ghost prevention devices.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#791 2018-07-20 09:57:34

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

granted, they are blocking on both sides, but can they send out an false divination?

Let's say, in human form, some of the best spell casters on the Vrudenan side walked into an area and layed down a powerful curse that affected everyone in an area (maybe a large area thinking weapon of mass destruction style) but it would take days or maybe a couple weeks for the curse to run it's course.  Then they blocked divination of just the curse, but not the result of the curse allowing divination experts from Calamandia to go omg thousands of people are going to die really soon.  If the vrudenans really care about WOMD then they remove the curse once they know the calamandians are moving into the area.

After that, the Vrudenans have two options in my opinion.  First, just abandon the area and attack someplace that isn't as well defended any more.  Second, spring some trap they've set up for the troops now moving into the area with the cursed citizenry.

One question, do the Vrudenans really care about mass human death?  Just seems like most of them are really itching for this fight and their government is stoking the anti-human sentiment.

#792 2018-07-20 19:28:45

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Divination cannot be "sent".  It is not a broadcast medium.  They could set up an impedivence to try to fool anyone who performed a seeing, but they couldn't "force" anyone to see their falsehood in any other way.  More to the point, nobody, on either side, would believe anything they saw through divination, because it is being messed with on both sides, and every seer knows that.

Of course, there are a couple logical problems with your idea.  For one, what good does blocking divination of the curse do?  They're not going to be able to read WHICH curse was used, that's something that would have to be determined by examination of the victims.  And it will be abundantly obvious that the victims have been cursed, with or without a seeing, so the impedivation serves no purpose.  Second... why would you send soldiers into an area full of sick people?  They can't do anything to help... you send healers to deal with cursed citizenry, not soldiers.  Such an attack wouldn't get the army's attention more than to just piss them off... and make them send in scouts, not infantry, to see what the Vrudenans were up to.

And once again, you're pulling a characterization of the werewolves out of nowhere at all...  The only werewolves we've seen are the guards at the travel gates, who have been aggressive, yes.  As guards, it is their job to be aggressive, seeing as how they are standing at the edge of what should properly be considered hostile territory.  Whether the entire Vrudenan army is "itching for a fight", or in fact, shares this anti-human sentiment, is a complete unknown.  In fact, the nature of their visit to Reishek Pangpatav should clearly indicate that not all Vrudenans feel the same way about things. 

Now, we have indications that the Vrudenan government is perpetrating a propaganda campaign at least within their military, given the misinformation considering who invaded first.  However, the very need for that kind of propaganda speaks to a lack of anti-human sentiment among the populace, because the government feels they need to fire up the people's antipathy toward humans... or at least toward Callamandians.  In short, we don't really have any sense of what "Joe Vrudenan" feels about humans, Callamandians, or the war.  I'm sure, however, that your average were would be appalled at the idea of the use of WMDs against non-combatants, because they don't want to be declared a rogue nation by the Council of Wizards...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#793 2018-07-21 09:00:02

StoryJunkie
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

That was not done by divination.  It was done by the ghosts.  The junior officers are not protected by ghost prevention devices.

Eric Storm

CRAP, I forgot something lol....I guess it's time to start the re-read lol

#794 2018-07-25 08:47:07

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

Good evening all.  Eric, I apologize for asking my questions and then disappearing.  20+ hour work days for weeks straight is a bit time consuming.  YAY for being an expert employeee!  And more apologies for not having a detailed description for you on my ideas.  Unfortunately, I don’t know when I am going to have much more time to detail the ideas out since it looks like the hours are likely to INCREASE soon, not decrease.

I would like to weigh in here on a couple of things, though.

1) Eric asked for some suggestions and requested our help.  Getting upset and arguing with him when he has given us one of the most awesome opportunities any author can bestow: a chance to help write the story.  Respect that gift; it does NOT come often.

2) It is very important that we give him WHAT he asked for, not just what we want to see.  We can’t just say “USE PHALANXES AND ANCIENT ROMAN MANEUVERS!!!  THEY WERE THE GREATEST STANDING ARMY EVER!“  just because that is what you want to see since that is not a suggestion for unusual tactics.  By the same token, Eric is normally a fairly reasonable sentient personality (not 100% sure you are human, Eric.  I am 87% Vulcan, 8% HOLY SHIT! WTF, BRO?, and 5% Neanderthal) and if you give him a winner, you might also be able to ask a small boon to see something that may not normally qualify, but Eric MIGHT be willing to grant as appreciation.

3) I suggest WORKING with Eric, much like StoryJunkie, Barbarian3165, Neithspace, and Archangel1962 do.  They make suggestions, and sometimes Eric likes them, sometimes he thinks the suggestions are shit, and sometimes Eric needs explanations.  NEVER have I seen any of those 4 take offense regardless of which stance Eric takes, or if they have beef with him, they keep it off the FUCKING FORUMS.  Got beef?  Move it to private messaging or email.  No one likes being called out unless it is for being recognized as the greatest of all time.

4) For this of you that have never been yourselves or have never worked with authors, please understand something that I had to learn fairly quickly back when I was working as an editor: authors are like any other artist.  They will ALWAYS be their own worst critic and they somehow manage to put more pressure on themselves than most nuclear physicists.  Which is fucking impressive.  Eric is honestly one of the calmer authors I have had spoken with so count your blessings.  With that much internal stress combined with any external stressors in real life, it gets really difficult not to blow your stack.  Authors don’t need their fans adding to it.  Also remember, Eric provides these stories free of charge, oh and this awesome site too.  Kind of rare for someone to do either, not to mention BOTH.

Now, directly to Eric.  In Malkav666’s defense, I don’t think he or she was intending to advise you to write like another author.  I took that post to mea “Hey, Eric.  This Cornwell guy?  Well he wrote about a lot of the stuff that you are asking about and his style actually lets you picture it really easily.  I would suggest taking a look at his writing and maybe it can inspire you in what you are looking for, or he may have ideas you could adapt directly.  And since it easy to picture it, understanding the movements, maneuvers, tactics, and strategies he is describing  ound to be really easy.“   Now, I could easily be wrong and if so, I agree with you 100%.

Eric, keep up the AMAZING work and as I think I have put here before: in the words of my father “illegitimus noncarborundum.“   (This roughly translates to “Don’t let the bastards get you down.“ )

Last edited by Fenixreign (2018-07-25 08:48:38)

#795 2018-07-25 18:26:12

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Fenixreign:

You may be right on Malkav's intent... but here's the problem:  There are 24 books just in the Sharpe series by Cornwell.  Am I supposed to take the next six months off writing to read them?  Because that's a minimum of how long it would take...  And even then, I wouldn't know exactly what it was about Cornwell's writing that Malkav thought I needed to emulate, and without that to focus on, I would end up reading just for enjoyment... and that wouldn't get me very far, since I'm not a fan of historical fiction...

But I do wonder if that particular genre isn't helping Cornwell out in his writing: he has actual battles to look at for inspiration, for ideas of how they would be fought, how they would progress.  It is much easier to describe that which has already happened, than it is to invent something out of whole cloth.  Not having read his work, I can't say if this is true or not, I'm just suggesting it as a possibility for why Malkav thinks he's done so well describing battle scenes.

In any case, I will press on with what I have.  Some people will enjoy the book, others won't.  I can't control that, because no matter how I write it, that will be the case.  So I'm just going to make sure that I enjoy it, since I'm going to have to read it at least three times before it's even finished...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#796 2018-07-25 19:04:41

bigfoot
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

In any case, I will press on with what I have.

Honestly, that's all we want. Speaking as a fan, I can't wait to see what YOU write knowing your efforts will likely produce another year of chapetrs I will read at least ten times and recommend to twenty other people. We are your invested fans, Eric. Good or bad (and it's mostly good), we look forward to the end product because we are hooked. Do your best and we'll be thrilled. I promise.

#797 2018-07-25 20:05:52

cuffncowboy
Tipsy

When does yr 8 come out

#798 2018-07-25 22:56:01

DarkAdonis09
Tipsy

I honestly think that Eric Storm is fine in his writing on the tactics/strategy/etc. I keep looking through the posts and thinking "these are human strategies". That's the thing. Not every race in Eric's universe is human or thinks human. Just because a race is intelligent and civilized doesn't mean they have the same style of approaching things as humans do. Some could even say that something a race does in war/combat is strange, unorthodox and dirty, but to them it may as well be normal. Something things we humans see something as "not making sense" may be all they know from their experience.

This is why I'm just going to sit back and let Eric write the story they wish to write using whatever comes out of their brilliant and imaginative mind. It's why we're all here, to enjoy their creativity.

Keep being you. Keep being awesome,
Just a random reader and supporter.

#799 2018-07-26 00:20:56

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Just an aside, you can refer to me as "he".  I am definitely a "he".

(But thank you for at least not using the allegedly gender-neutral "she"...)

3dbig_smile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#800 2018-07-26 07:13:44

Timberwolf92
Inebriated

cuffncowboy wrote:

When does yr 8 come out

Not sure if you knew about it but Eric has several forums better suited to answering this question without it even being asked.
A good point to start from is
http://www.wolfpub.org/forum/viewtopic. … 3&p=34

Board footer