The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#526 2018-04-11 11:35:21

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 7, The

Eric, I have questions relating to how divination and blocking magic interact.  When an impediveur is using blocking magic, are they also able to detect that the divination magic is being used?  How does detection work in relation to strength in these cases?

My thoughts are as follows:  David is a very strong diviner, but as you said he must exceed the strength of the impediveur in order to successfully “blockbust.†  If he matches strength can he create an object that 1) indicates the truthfulness of a speaker, 2) doesn’t alert the impediveur that divination is being used in this manner and 3) can also indicate that a reading is not possible due to being blocked?

Additionally, we have to remember that David has found that he is getting less and less tolerant and is also getting more and more aggressive it his reactions with Olissa being the only one that can truly calm him.  He already reacted... poorly... to betrayal.  If such a device as I inquired about above could be created, David has one, and he asks people about what Dailey claimed, and it goes off I don’t know that he would not “force-feed† even the Dean, Sam, or Cat a truth potion.  Each of the 3 have at least one school of magic that they excel in that might counter ONE way that David has of learning the truth, but David is DANGEROUS as hell to liars.  The guy has all the skills needed to utterly dominate in counter-intelligence and anti-spycraft.  Even if the Dean was in on this at the beginning and if she is as “mercenary† as Dailey lead us and David to believe, Emile would have seen the “writing on the wall† back in year 4 or 5 and have already set up a get-away plan or is prepped (with Dailey now dead) to throw herself on the “mercy of the court† and confess all she can to David once she is confronted.

True mercenary types survive at nigh-any cost since you cannot spend what you make when you are dead.  Now, I know that ghosts TECHNICALLY could, but would need a whole lot of help to get true access to their riches after they cross-over.

I have my theories on how the series will wrap-up, but suffice it to say I do not believe that Dean Lengel is guilty of  betrayal of David.

#527 2018-04-11 16:48:34

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Okay, a few points:

1. Yes, an impediveur will be able to tell if someone is trying to blockbust against them.  Impedivation is an active process, meaning it's a charm, not an enchantment, and the wizard would be aware of any attempt to thwart it.

2. Impedivation is stronger than blockbusting.  When it comes right down to it, even a level 4 proraziveur cannot break every impedivence.  Thus, no device imbued with divinatory magic could do it, either. 

3.  Blockbusting is illegal, without a Royal Permit.  As such, any device created to perform this task would either be outlawed entirely, or would also require a Royal Permit to use it.  If David's not going to break the law regarding truth potions, he's not going to break the law in this fashion, either.

4.  Olissa isn't the only one able to calm him.  Up to this point, Sam could also have calmed him, and did so after the Clan battle at the end of book 5 when he went after Rusty the healer.  Flo and/or Anne could also do it.  The only thing is that these people are not in his life currently... and Sam is now suspect, so her actions might not work anymore.  On the other hand, his likely "instinctive" reaction to Sam would be to trust her, so she could probably calm him down.  "Female Prime" could also do it, obviously... assuming she's not one of the aforementioned females...  misch_smiley

5. Yes, a real mercenary would always have an escape route, but when people call someone mercenary as an adjective, all they really mean is that the person's loyalty can be bought.  Those people don't necessarily make escape plans ahead of time.  They may believe themselves clever enough to never get caught.

I have my theories on how the series wraps up, too.  Bet my theories are more accurate than your theories....
3dbig_smile

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#528 2018-04-14 02:09:21

Timberwolf92
Inebriated

Great chapter Eric. Due to a series of family situations, I’m only now getting around to reading it. Had several theories on who Dailey was (most centering around the Savolar family) and it comes as no real surprise that I was wrong. Any chance of a hint on when the Savolars will show again? I surely can’t be the only one eagerly awaiting when we find out what the magistrate and Douglas Savolar meant in their statements at the close of the W4 January hearing.
“Mr. Savolar, you obviously entered into the situation with malicious intent. I am not going to punish your victim just because he happens to be a better wizard than you are. Let it be a lesson to you that actions have consequences, no matter who your father is...
"You may have won this battle, Stroud," Mr. Savolar said, "but you will never be a true wizard."

#529 2018-04-14 02:39:36

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Um... what Mr. Savolar meant is abundantly obvious, because it was explained before the line was ever uttered.  The Savolar Family doesn't believe anyone whose family hasn't been in Dugerra for hundreds of years, is actually a true wizard.  This was actually explained in book 1.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#530 2018-04-14 18:11:46

Timberwolf92
Inebriated

Oh guess I was thinking about it to much. Thanks

#531 2018-04-15 08:06:12

neolyn
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

It is possible that Jacob was never given this information.  All of Dailey's rambling wasn't part of the rite of passage, so it is conceivable that the person who imprisoned Jacob was less chatty, and Jacob may not have any clue why he was imprisoned.  As such, he would have no reason to warn David.

Also, something occurred to me in regards to your "Methinks he doth protest too much" remark.  I have not been arguing whether or not Dailey was telling the truth.  You will find that out in due course.  I have been arguing the SIGNIFICANCE of what it means if Dailey was telling the truth.  That sort of argument takes as one of its given conditions that Dailey was being honest.   If Dailey was lying, then the entire argument becomes moot.

And now, just to screw with EVERYONE'S head, I will say this:  Dean Lengel is guilty of something related to David.  What that something is, I'm not going to say... for now...  Is it colluding with Dailey?  It might be... then again, it might be something else entirely.  I will say it is something David will not be all that happy about, when he finds out.  (So, no, it's not something like, "She's guilty of having a crush on him.")

I'm so evil...  3dbig_smile

Eric Storm

If Levi would have just shut the **** up David would have been doom, his ego was quite literally his downfall.

When you said Emile is guilty of something I thought of her fish color, too bad you shut that down immediately .

I'd say she is a voyeur and used her divination ability to spy on David when is doing someone. Sam and her are really close friends, would not be a surprise if Sam talked about David's ability in a bed. She just got curious xd .

#532 2018-04-15 17:37:52

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

...why would David care about that?  Hell, he forced Olissa to watch him and Sam once...  I'm thinking David's reaction to that would be more along the lines of, "If you're really that curious, I can give you first-hand experience..."

3dsmile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#533 2018-04-15 23:25:31

neolyn
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

...why would David care about that?  Hell, he forced Olissa to watch him and Sam once...  I'm thinking David's reaction to that would be more along the lines of, "If you're really that curious, I can give you first-hand experience..."

3dsmile

Eric Storm

Just because he forced Olissa to watch means he'd be   ok with anyone watching him ....

#534 2018-04-16 01:37:40

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Cherise and Christa notwithstanding, has David ever shown a resistance to sexual interest from a female?  Keeping in mind his resistance toward Cherise was because she was crazy, and toward Christa is about who her father is.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#535 2018-04-18 04:41:41

Ph34r_n0_3V1L
Tipsy

I think the one thing Dailey said that was true was bribing the Dean to let David into Woodward.  Why would the head of the most prestigious magic school in the kingdom let some random, unknown, politically and commercially unconnected demighost in as a student with all the headaches that were guaranteed to come with him?  So she probably was bribed into letting David in, but everything after that stemmed from his character and him luckily being a potions prodigy.  It was his apprenticeship with Sam that led to his more intimate relationships with the faculty via staying with her for Christmas. (I think?)

#536 2018-04-18 05:03:36

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Another reason for letting David in is because she believes in giving people a chance, and because she knows that if someone doesn't take a chance on him, he will spend the rest of Callamandia's existence stuck in a prison cell, without having DONE anything worthy of that kind of sentence.  Not everybody only does things that advance their careers.

Eric Storm

Administrative note:  I should make you change your screen name.  "L337 SP34K" is not permitted on this website.  Just consider yourself warned.

----
Facebook page

#537 2018-04-22 08:13:44

Brad_Sinclair
Tipsy

What happened to the no spoilers rule, to those who don't have prm access things you guys are saying and talking about give a lot of stuff 5 chapters away

(posted from the Item Information Page)

#538 2018-04-22 17:20:48

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

There has never actually been a "no spoilers" rule on this forum.

I am trying to think up a way to implement a "prm discussion" tag for the next version of the website, so people without PRM access won't see those posts until the right time, but it's a tricky thing to implement.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#539 2018-04-22 19:18:25

fathertyme
Inebriated

I've just spent the last couple of days re-reading the series, and I've run across a rather serious question.

does a cup of cocoa really cost 2 grana?

I only ask because david keeps offering 2 grana and an opinion for a cup of cocoa....

#540 2018-04-22 20:11:22

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Some reason it shouldn't?

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#541 2018-04-22 20:13:57

fathertyme
Inebriated

just trying to figure out if his opinion actually subtracts from the overall cost of cocoa

3dtongue

<---- smartass <----

#542 2018-04-25 23:00:29

bigfoot
Wasted

Question - now that David has made the Dailey family unable to produce male heirs, what happens to the demighosts currently trapped (like Jacob) once the final male Dailey dies? Will the trapped demighosts still be trapped or will the curse run out and they'd be set free? I can only imagne the damage a bunch of pissed off, suddenly freed demighosts would cause...

#543 2018-04-25 23:23:01

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Dailey made explicitly clear that the curse could only imprison the demighosts while a male heir existed.  Thus, all of the previously incarcerated demighosts will be freed.

As to their anger, I imagine that would be limited to the Dailey family... which would already be on its way to ceasing to exist, so...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#544 2018-04-25 23:44:13

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Instead of their anger, what you should be worried about is that they've been BORED for the last several hundred years, and are going to be looking to have some fun.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#545 2018-04-26 07:28:52

bigfoot
Wasted

I wonder if David will tell Jacob he found a way to free him? All he need do is wait another 150 years or so. I also wonder if Jacob will simply ask David to kill all the male Dailey members as to free him NOW?

#546 2018-04-26 13:38:58

StoryJunkie
Wasted

I really don't think Jacob would ask that of David, and would it really take 150 years? I guess I could see that if they used some type of potion or spell to extend their life, I didn't think of that as I started writing this, so I guess I sorta, kinda, maybe half-way answered part of this. One thing I can think of is that we (more than likely) never really know what happens, and I say this because so far the timeline of the story is linear and I don't really see Eric jumping that far ahead at the end of year 8. One thing I hope for, especially since Eric has made some mentions of it, is for more stories to come in the world of Dugerra, and maybe we will find out more as time goes on.....it's something to look forward to at least.

#547 2018-04-26 18:26:33

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

The average lifespan of a wizard using youth magic is approximately 150 years.  This was stated in the trial of Isobel Gowdie, in book 7.

Whether Jacob were to ask David to kill off the males of the Dailey family or not, David wouldn't actually DO so.  The "last male heir" to the family hasn't even been born yet, so is a complete innocent.  Killing him is murder.  (Let's not get into an abortion discussion here...)

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#548 2018-04-27 16:16:49

Josh.Bond
Inebriated

Eric,
Love the whole demi ghosts will be released thing after all male heirs to Lord Dailey are dead...but did the Daileys have no daughters? As a Geneologist i know there are branches of my family that had no sons, but even without the same last name we can all claim decendance from the same person. For instance my Grandmothers Father was Herman Tolksdorf, my Grandmother married a man with the last name Chappelle, their daughter married a man with the last name Bond. Does the last name really mean I am any less of a decendant of Herman than my cousin Glenn, who has the last name Tolksdorff? Just playing Devils advocate here.

#549 2018-04-27 18:04:14

ChiefRock
Wasted

My guess Josh would be the way the curse is worded. The magic requires a male descendent in each generation. So no daughters would not work. Agree the blood would cross but the magic would not

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#550 2018-04-27 18:30:33

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Josh.Bond wrote:

Does the last name really mean I am any less of a decendant of Herman than my cousin Glenn, who has the last name Tolksdorff?

In a word, yes.

Let me quote:

Levi Dailey wrote:

Oh... well... technically, you'll only be imprisoned so long as there are male members of the Dailey family alive.  But really, once that stops being the truth, who cares what happens to you?

The spell is specific to the male members of the family, because only a male can be head of the Dailey house.  If there are no more male Daileys, Daileys, not Schmidts who had Dailey ancestors, then the Dailey family has ceased to exist, and the curse ends.

The difference between you and your cousin is that your cousin's lineage is apparently male-derived, and yours is female-derived, as it relates to the Tolksdorff family.  Since the curse in question, and the family in question, is entirely male-centric, a female-derived lineage would be completely meaningless.  You are not, as it relates to this sort of thing, a member of the Tolksdorff family.  You are a member of the Bond family.

If you would wish to extend the "lineage" of the Dailey family to anyone who was in any way related to the Daileys, then let me point out that the entire 7 billion people on the planet can be traced back to what is referred to as a "Most Recent Common Ancestor".  That person may have existed as recently as 3,000 years ago (the exact date is not known), but in no case more than 200,000 years ago.  What this means is that everyone, everywhere, is part of one genealogical family, if you could only dig back far enough.  What this would mean, if we took your concept for the lineage of the Dailey family, is that every person on the planet would have to die off to free the demighosts.... including the demighosts themselves, which isn't even possible.

We know that last names are a completely artificial construct.  When the names were handed out, two brothers could have ended up with different last names, since many last names were trade-related ("Cooper", "Smith", "Baker", "Chandler", etc.).  Thus, it should not be in the slightest surprising that the curse has nothing to do with full lineage, and everything to do with the name Dailey.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

Board footer