The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#451 2018-03-12 05:23:11

KaosKing
Inebriated

Re: Woodward Academy, Year 7, The

Eric Storm wrote:

Ghosts are, by definition, "dead".  The meaning of "undead" is "not quite alive, and not quite dead".  Therefore, something that is "dead", cannot be "undead".

And I have already answered this question, in this thread, I think.  There are five. Demighosts, vampires, zombies, doppelgangers and liches.  The last two have not been mentioned in the book, they are simply defined by the author as existing.
3dsmile

Eric Storm

PS:  Like all my versions of non-human creatures, those last two undead don't follow their "traditional" meanings exactly, either.

True, sorry about that. That's the D&D in me.

I'm curious if the last two will show up in the story at some point, though I do not expect an answer either.

#452 2018-03-12 18:24:41

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Probably not, though they may appear in some other Dugerra-related story.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#453 2018-03-14 01:42:40

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

You know, Eric, speaking of D&D and since I know every writer gets writer’s block sometimes, I have a suggestion.  Perhaps, since it is something that you have likely already started, a Monster Manual that includes some more detail on the already described inhabitants and even the other denizens of Dugerra (or even Haven and yes, I know that is the world of the dead, but banshees have interaction with that world) that haven’t been involved in the WA stories might assist you in breaking something like that up and even trigger ideas for more stories or a slightly different scene.  AND if a writer wanted to write some fan-fic (authorized, of course), it would make it easier for he or she to do so.

I know that you have given things like that in the past as a single extra chapter, but you have confined it to the creatures we have seen and the Monster Manual could go into things like the differences between that creature type in the “classic† vs. in your world, area of Dugerra in which the creature can be found, if they ever existed naturally in Earth, etc.

And since it (hopefully) doesn’t require too much thought since it is statements of “fact,† it would be content your could provide while still resting and germinating new ideas.

Just ganglia-storming (too tired to actually engage the neurons in my brain tonight).

#454 2018-03-16 23:16:19

Josh.Bond
Inebriated

Other Dugerra related story? Sounds promising. Any hints as to what that will be? Seriously though Glad to get your last chapter in. Lydia the sociopathic Vampire. I did not see that one coming. well maybe a little but not to the extent it did. Sherry headmistress of the Psychos R Us school of wizardry, No one saw that one coming. loved it all the way through. Can hardly wait to see what happens next.

#455 2018-03-17 05:10:43

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

While I do have one idea for another story in the Dugerra universe, there could be several others.  I've invested rather a lot of time creating Dugerra... it seems a shame to throw that away at the end of this series.

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#456 2018-03-22 14:16:29

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Question:  Can Sliska Ilyko be applied in other ways?  Was just thinking it would be hilarious if some werewolves were charging across some rock paving stones at a bunch of second years and they applied it to the paws of the charging werewolves.  I can imagine the running wolf slipping, sliding, scrambling to try to stay upright but ending up on their butts or bellies and unable to get back up.  Would make for a good scene in year 8 if the ground was changed using teramandy or maybe morphing.  I doubt it would be as effective on dirt anyway.

#457 2018-03-22 18:07:43

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

First, there is likely some spell that would achieve a similar effect, but sliska ilyko is specific to intimate situations, as it requires that level of proximity to function.

Second, no second-year student would be facing down the werewolves during an attack.  They would be cowering inside the castle someplace, if and when the werewolves come.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#458 2018-04-01 08:38:59

ChiefRock
Wasted

WOW Eric this chapter was fantastic!!!
OK no constructive criticism you are doing a great job keep it up. The answer on the emming amulet was good to see. Eric the only thing I could ask for and I cannot is faster postings but you keep doing what you are doing at your own pace

(posted from the Item Information Page)

My worst day at sea is better than my best day ashore
I found a home in the navy-but they land airplanes on my roof

#459 2018-04-01 09:44:07

StoryJunkie
Wasted

OK now Dammit Eric, although the was a great chapter and it was good to finally get to know what the Emmig Amulet does..the crap Dailey spouted was a complete mind fuck lol I am really going to miss this story once it is finished...asshole 3dtongue

At any rate, keep up the great writing and I hope the muse and life let you continue to create in a timely fashion 3dsmile

(posted from Chapter 10: March)

#460 2018-04-01 11:05:54

zipybug14
Inebriated

Heh.  Neat.
David still needs to tell Jacob the good news.  I'm looking forward to that scene.

#461 2018-04-01 12:00:32

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Great chapter. As others said so many questions/issues resolved in the chapter. Surprised that my prediction about Dailey was actually accurate. Be interesting to see how Jacob reacts to learning that he will be freed in 100 years or so.(maybe sooner depending on what happens during the war)

Last edited by thehilz (2018-04-01 12:01:58)

#462 2018-04-01 12:22:20

Neitherspace
Completely Blotto

Truth potion in the punch bowl at the next teachers party could clear up who was bribed i would think

"I figure that if you can't write decent dialogue for the devil, maybe you shouldn't be a writer."-Richard Kadrey

#463 2018-04-01 13:18:47

neolyn
Wasted

That would be illegal and David doesn't do that kind of thing.
He could talk about what Dailey said to Emile and ask her a to drink the potion though.

Anyway the past seven years were not a lie. Dailey just gave David opportunities, it was up to him to be a powerful wizard or not. Besides the bonds he has with every one were not Dailey's doing.

Maybe for Emile ? But I don't think anyone of his friends would do that.
Olissa would obviously not
Gwen neither( I miss Gwen : x  )
Ellen would not have made a guild if that was the case
Louise love him
Cat would not have put her children in danger  and would not have need David's help with Elliot an would directly ask Dailey for help.

Joe & Zyla would not have made him Grace godfather.
Vivian would not be David's (future)wife otherwise .

I'm sorry to Sam but Vivian took the number one spot in my heart.

Any friends of David who got hurt by Dailey would have spill the beans afterwards.

So if Emile was really a " mercenary b*tch" then she deserves an Oscar.

Question:

Since David can Teleport now, does that mean he has the qualification to be a Level 6 Conjurer?

#464 2018-04-01 18:58:21

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Neitherspace: neolyn is right: administering a truth potion without permission is illegal.

neolyn: Asking her to take the truth potion is as offensive as just asking her whether it's true or not.  Actually, even more so.  It leads to exactly the same problem.

Further, as to your stipulations about David's friends within the faculty:  You claim that the 'bonds' he has with the faculty are not Dailey's doing...

Unless those 'bonds' are a lie.  You're assuming that what appear to be friendships, actually are friendships.  People really are this duplicitous in real life: it is not even improbable that David could have been misled this long.  The only thing that would make it odd is that no one has broken ranks and told him about it.  Perhaps there was a serious threat to any teacher who did, either by Dailey, or by the dean herself.

One specific thing, though: Cat would not have endangered her children... but would Elliot?  And what we've seen so far is that those who "worked for" Dailey, did not know how to contact him.  (Apparently it is possible to have an "unlisted mirror".  Maybe he just doesn't have mirrors in his house?)  In any case, both Lydia and Beckel said that they had no means of contacting Levi Dailey, so it is reasonable to assume that none of the faculty would, either.  So yes, Dailey could still have orchestrated that whole thing, by using Elliot to harass Cat, giving her no option but to turn to David... as perhaps she was directed to do by the dean?

If Dailey was paying enough money, it wouldn't be that difficult for Dean Lengel to pull off her act.  David made such a thing a lot easier with his personality.  Her job was (allegedly) to make him stronger for Dailey.  She did that through giving him positions of authority... but David naturally gravitates toward duty to the school and his friends, so "convincing" him that she really needed him in these positions was child's play.

The only part of the last seven years that has been truly "intimate" between them was her revelation about her past... and how do we know that wasn't a complete lie?  How do we know that Andros was not paid by Dailey to beat up Cat to start that entire sequence of events?

As I think I said in the story (or maybe it's in the April chapter...), the faculty is either blameless, and Dailey was lying for unknown reasons, or the faculty are some of the most conniving, duplicitous assholes there are.  Seems unlikely, but that just means they're good at lying.

It is, of course, also possible that not all of the faculty were in on it.  Perhaps it was just the dean fucking with him, and she merely pushed the professors to treat him well and watch out for him.  In which case, no, people like Cat would NOT have been a lie, but they would still have been manipulated into friendships with him.  The point is that not knowing leaves David questioning everyone's motives, with no easy way to find out the answer.

Eric Storm

PS:  No, David's teleportation ability does not qualify him for Level 6 conjurer.  As soon as he masters a few other, lesser, skills that he's just never tried before, he will become a Level 7 conjurer, which is the highest level possible.

----
Facebook page

#465 2018-04-01 18:59:14

ChiefRock
Wasted

neolyn wrote:

Since David can Teleport now, does that mean he has the qualification to be a Level 6 Conjurer?

Only 6 people who can teleport? and the last 300 years ago? I would speculate David is already higher than 6 but will have to wait till Eric's muse has a conflab with the guild I guess. I noticed the way you brought his parents back in the picture Eric. I liked that perhaps they can help keep his humanity under control

Ahh Eric's muse hath spoken

Last edited by ChiefRock (2018-04-01 19:04:23)

#466 2018-04-01 20:41:51

bigfoot
Wasted

I find it implausible that Sherry Padman cannot be further punished. As David explained, she "was unfortunately already a dead wand, which meant that she could not be punished, as the punishment for her crime would have been the revocation of her license."  So, she is free to keep committing magically illegal acts without consequence as long as she does them on Earth?  Why wouldn't she qualify for a short vacation at Barnard Hill and then transferred back to Earth?

#467 2018-04-01 21:06:33

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

That her crime took place in Earth is completely irrelevant to her sentence.  The sentence is specific to the crime committed, that is, creation of an unlicensed school of wizardry.  Note that she cannot be charged with teaching outlawed spells, as she was not an instructor.

If you commit two crimes, the sentence for both of which is execution, you can only be executed once.  The second one is, for all intents and purposes, a freebie.  You can't be punished for it.  This example is extreme, yes, but used to make the point.  Something that can only be done once... can only be done once.

The particular crime she committed has only one sentencing option: license revocation.  Because this particular law only has one possible sentence, and since that sentence can only be carried out once, you cannot very well do it again.

Had she taken the opportunity to hex David, then she would have been guilty of unlicensed use of magic, for which she could have been sent to a management facility.  However, she was not performing magic, she was only the head of the school.

Criminal justice isn't always satisfying.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#468 2018-04-02 01:51:15

Maverick7508
Inebriated

Mr. Storm, you are a scholar and a gentleman. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone. Having a DS9 reference in there was hilarious, and a reminder that one day I need to sit down and make a list of the reference characters. Thank you.

#469 2018-04-02 06:38:42

neolyn
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

neolyn: Asking her to take the truth potion is as offensive as just asking her whether it's true or not.  Actually, even more so.  It leads to exactly the same problem.

Some questions need some answers and instead of investigating about it, wouldn't it be better to have a direct approach about it ?I find it much more offensive to go around my friend's back and spy on him than confronting him.

Yes, Emile would be offended and mad about it  but if she's really David's friend she would do it .

Your friend just discovered that his last seven years may have been a complete lie, he's in serious doubt and doesn't know what and who he can trust so he asks you to drink a  truth potion .
What's more important ? That you're offended or helping your friend in distress ? A real friend would drink the potion( besides Emile owes him one after her outburst years ago).

For Cat it's totally my point , she couldn't have work for Dailey ( it's really low probability) knowingly . Was she used without her knowledge ? Maybe.

Currently, what's making Dailey story true about Emile is that she was David's only close friend from school not attacked in any way.
That and the fact that Emile came to give an invite to David for WoodWard. Knowing about David's whereabouts from nowhere, enrolling him even though she doesn't even know if he's good enough. We saw many wizzards who didn't get to Woodward because their grades were too low, David get to get in like that ?
If I had to chose ... I'd tend to believe Dailey's claim.

#470 2018-04-02 07:27:27

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You are completely missing the point with the truth potion. 

Let's assume for the sake of argument that she's blameless, and Dailey was lying his ass off.  So yes, she sees that the only way to resolve the issue in David's mind is to take the potion, so she does.  Under its effect, she states unequivocally that she was not working for Dailey.

And now she can rightfully berate David for believing a complete stranger, over someone he's known for the last seven years.  He's destroyed whatever trust they had in each other, possibly severed the friendship, and lost a trusted associate.  She would be right in accusing him of betraying HER trust.  As to "owing him" for the outburst after his arrest, she fully atoned for that by revealing to him a part of her past that she has only told one other person (assuming that wasn't all a lie).  She will now have to wonder how she can trust HIM, if pretty much anyone can come along, accuse her of treachery, and have him not be able to reject the charge outright.

Would they be able to recover from this?  Maybe.  But it would cloud their friendship for a very long time to come.

It's not about what happens BEFORE the potion.  It's about what happens AFTER.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#471 2018-04-02 07:45:07

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

I think I also need to point out that a truth potion is not an innocuous little thing where you take the potion, they ask you the question they want to know about, you answer, and then they leave you alone until the potion wears off.

In order to verify that the truth potion is, in fact, working, they dig deep into your life to force you to say things that you do not want to say, things that you would not under any other circumstances reveal.  Truth potions are highly invasive, which is why they are not allowed to be required of defendants.  So you're not just asking her to honestly answer his question.  You are asking her to bare the deepest, darkest corners of her soul to him.  Friend or no friend, that's not something most people would ever do willingly.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#472 2018-04-02 10:23:20

neolyn
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

You are completely missing the point with the truth potion. 

Let's assume for the sake of argument that she's blameless, and Dailey was lying his ass off.  So yes, she sees that the only way to resolve the issue in David's mind is to take the potion, so she does.  Under its effect, she states unequivocally that she was not working for Dailey.

And now she can rightfully berate David for believing a complete stranger, over someone he's known for the last seven years.  He's destroyed whatever trust they had in each other, possibly severed the friendship, and lost a trusted associate.  She would be right in accusing him of betraying HER trust.  As to "owing him" for the outburst after his arrest, she fully atoned for that by revealing to him a part of her past that she has only told one other person (assuming that wasn't all a lie).  She will now have to wonder how she can trust HIM, if pretty much anyone can come along, accuse her of treachery, and have him not be able to reject the charge outright.

Would they be able to recover from this?  Maybe.  But it would cloud their friendship for a very long time to come.

It's not about what happens BEFORE the potion.  It's about what happens AFTER.

Eric Storm

I wasn't really worried about the after because if Emile's character for the last 7 years is true then they would eventually restore their friendship to the best but yeah it will take time.

The point, for me , was more about what David would do if he chose to go with the truth potion.He'd more likely ask Emile to drink it rather than make it her drink without her knowledge or consent.

But David will not use the potion anyway(the odds are pretty low).  : )

So, since the new chapter is out, I started my usual ritual : read again all the series ^^".
By doing so I got a shock in Book 1 chapter 4 . They are talking about "Dailey the Inept" . From the description of the man I wondered if he was L. Dailey ancestor ?

Can I hope that, one day, there will be a Vivian and David really intimate moment ?

Last edited by neolyn (2018-04-02 10:24:48)

#473 2018-04-02 11:15:54

runkmaster24
Inebriated

Just keeps getting better and better truly glad to have found this series thank you

#474 2018-04-02 18:37:30

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

neolyn: Using a truth potion on someone without their knowledge is a serious crime... like Barnard Hill stay for several years kind of crime.  I don't think David's willing to risk that just to have his question answered, so yes, if he chose to go that route, he would have to ask her to take it... with all the attendant problems that would cause that have already been mentioned.

Obviously Levi Dailey and Lord Dailey the Inept are related.

As to Vivian and David... you'll just have to keep reading to find out whether that happens or not.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#475 2018-04-02 18:41:35

ChiefRock
Wasted

Come on guys, I can think of a few situations where daily's claim to have paid the Dean and her innocence could both be true.  Anonymous donor, Unidentified scholarship, Alumni request Yes I know Dailey did not go to Woodward but he could have claimed Alumni status with a grant. Lets give David some time bet this works out

Board footer