The Pub Discussion Board

Get your favorite beverage, sit back, and join in the discussion

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-22 20:09:26

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Upcoming change to donation thank-you gifts

After some thoughts and consideration, I have decided to alter the thank-you gifts I give in return for donations.  This change will take effect on March 1st, so if you want to get the current thank-you, I'd suggest making your donation before then.

The current scheme:  a $6 minimum donation receives a thank-you gift of 1 month of special access per $1 of donation.  Donations less than $6 do not receive a thank-you gift.  When the donation goal is exceeded, everyone who donated that month gets a small amount of extra special access time.

The new scheme:  It will remain a $6 minimum donation to receive any thank-you gift, but the thank-you gift will change to be 1 month of special access for every $2 of donation.  Donations less than $6 will still not receive a thank-you gift.  If the donation goal is reached, one person who donated during the month will receive an extra six months of special access.  This person will be chosen at random by a computer script.  Donations will be rounded down, not up.  (In other words, a $7.99 donation is the same as a $6 donation, for purposes of the thank-you gift.)

This will have no effect at all on special access time already given, up to (but not including) March 1st.  "March 1st" is judged as beginning at 05:00:00 UTC on March 1, 2018. (12:00am, Eastern Time)

I hope that no one will be too upset by this change.  It was done in an attempt to even out donations across the months... and perhaps encourage a few extra ones along the way.

Eric Storm

PS:  If anyone has a notion for something they'd rather receive as a thank-you gift instead of special access time, please let me know.  I can look into it.  But things I can provide without monetary cost to me are going to be my preference, of course.

PPS: I would also like to reiterate for those of you that do not like PayPal, that we also accept donations of Amazon and Wal-Mart e-gift cards.  (Wal-Mart is preferred, between the two.)

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#2 2018-02-23 03:39:33

Barbarian3165
Completely Blotto

Re: Upcoming change to donation thank-you gifts

So, if I want to pay for an entire year of PRM in one shot it's now a $24 donation?  I'm not complaining since I brought up restructuring the donations, just want to be crystal clear.  Also, is the goal to get a donation every 3 months or maybe 6 months instead of once a year?

#3 2018-02-23 09:38:09

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You have the math correct, yes.  Just take your donation amount, divide it by two, and throw away the decimal part, and that's the number of months.  So $24/2 = 12.0 = 12 months, and $21.99/2 = 10.995 = 10 months.

And yes, I would honestly prefer a $6 donation every 3 months, as opposed to a $24 donation once a year.  The reason is that this money goes to pay monthly expenses (like food and medical bills), which happen every month.  You'd think it would all even out, that the "good" months would give us savings for the "bad" months... but it never seems to work that way.  When we have a surplus, we have a tendency to put it towards things we've been putting off doing, to try to get them out of the way while we can.  Ideally, we need $700 each and every month.  Granted, we get to keep a tiny bit more of the larger donations (PayPal takes 30¢ per transaction, so they take an extra $0.90 out of 4 $6 donations versus a single $24 one...), but it's still better for us to have the income each month.  Of course, if someone has a large amount now, but isn't sure they'll have any at all three months from now, we'll take the large amount now.
3dbig_smile

What would be perfect (and so impossible, of course...), would be 350 donors, each giving $6 every 3 months, staggered so that they covered the three months equally.  I don't expect this happy state of affairs, but it'd be nice.
3dsmile

Eric Storm

Please Remember:  The right to Freedom of Speech does not carry the proviso, "As long as it doesn't upset anyone."  The US Constitution does not grant you the right to not be offended.  If you don't like what someone's saying... IGNORE THEM.
----
Facebook page

#4 2018-02-24 00:17:13

Crusader
Wasted

You know. I didn't realize you would get the exact time you had left if you moused over the "Special Access Notice"

I thought I was between 2 and 3 years, not really giving it any thought.

#5 2018-02-24 00:23:19

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

Yeah, that's a utility I developed for version 2 of the website:  It presents a more readable version within the page, and then if you hover over it, it gets more precise.  The new site version will do this with most date-related information.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#6 2018-02-24 00:27:08

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

And situations like yours are why I wish I had alternative thank-you gifts other than just more special access time.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#7 2018-02-24 00:56:50

sacketts86
Inebriated

thanks for mentioning that i could find out how long i had, i was curious and dont look like i need to worry about forgetting to pay for awhile

#8 2018-02-24 03:19:51

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

except for that nagging, guilty feeling you'll get when you forget...

3dangel

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#9 2018-02-24 12:43:21

thehilz
Completely Blotto

Is there anyway to see the more accurate special access on the mobile version or is that a computer feature only? Not that I’m worried about mine running out just more curious.

#10 2018-02-24 19:34:13

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

If you're referring to the site available via wolfpub.org/mobile, then no, that site was never designed to be fully functional, it was designed for Keeshaba to use her phone to see the site a LONG time ago (before phones were as capable as they are now.)  Getting this information is just one of many things that the mobile version was never intended to show you.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#11 2018-02-26 04:21:16

Crusader
Wasted

Eric Storm wrote:

And situations like yours are why I wish I had alternative thank-you gifts other than just more special access time.

Eric Storm

Hmmm. Ok next time i win i want a copy of the review questions your reviewers fill out.

#12 2018-02-26 09:10:32

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

... ???

HUH???

My reviewers do not have a questionnaire to fill out, or anything of the sort.  They read the chapter, and they tell me what they thought.  It's really as simple as that.

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#13 2018-02-26 20:32:08

Crusader
Wasted

Misremembered post if yours to StoryJunkie in writing status. I could have sworn that reviewers had to submit a questionare, but it was just "Review"

Ill think of some thing else esoteric.

#14 2018-02-27 06:03:55

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You could ask to name a character in a story.  There's one of those in Woodward Academy already...

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#15 2018-02-27 06:18:41

Crusader
Wasted

You do not need a Bob or simmilar, as i am horrible with names.

A hand drawn smiley face, on scratch paper, takeing less then 2 min total to draw, with a big "For Crusader" somewhere on it, only using one hand, with a preference for the off hand.

Then take a photo or scan it in and email.

There a unique request, until someone else wants one.

#16 2018-02-27 08:58:57

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You don't mind if all the letters are backwards, do you?
3dsmile

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#17 2018-02-27 12:53:23

StoryJunkie
Wasted

Hey...what makes you think you have donated the most money Crusader? 3dtongue

I didn't know about hovering over the words to get the time to show, but after I did....damn, I got some time 3dsmile

I will also still be donating as I get some money free, I may not be consistent, but I'll keep plugging away (as long as my health keeps letting me read stuff lol)

#18 2018-02-27 13:18:18

Crusader
Wasted

Its not about most money, its about donating on a month that reaches 700. Then being randomly picked.

Backwards is fine. Lol

#19 2018-02-28 04:50:18

Fenixreign
Completely Blotto

You can always GUARANTEE you donate in a month that has a minimum of $700 in donations...

#20 2018-02-28 05:37:23

Eric Storm
Pub Owner
Website

You could always just donate $700 every month...

Just saying...
3dangel

Eric Storm

----
Facebook page

#21 2018-04-03 03:58:59

Elessar
Completely Blotto

Found it easy enough. Would love to donate more, wife won’t let me.

Board footer